Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,577 members, 7,934,734 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 12:36 PM

Top Tech Startups In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top Tech Startups In Nigeria (16548 Views)

10 Biggest Tech Startups In Africa Owned By Nigerian Women / Nigeria Is Now Africa's Top Tech Nation, Beats South Africa - Forbes / Meet Top Four On-demand Motorcycle #startups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by simiolu1(m): 1:23pm On Oct 07, 2017
airsaylongcon:

How he can say Facebook isn't a tech company is baffling. Does he have any idea neural network algorithms been developed and worked on by Facebook software engineers? I guess when all you interact with Facebook only as a user then U'd be clueless about the heavy lifting on the back end

Facebook that created React, React Native, GraphQL, HHVM, Immutable JS, Haxl, Fresco, etc is not a tech company? Then what is a tech company? The guy no answer me.

Maybe he should visit their github page and see what we're talking about.

https://github.com/facebook?page=1
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by darqly(m): 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2017
Cacawa2:
Listen, these are not tech startups.

These are websites. Just websites.

For example, Microsoft is a tech company, Facebook is not a tech company.

When we talk about ICT, Info, Comm and Tech, some companies are simply Info...e.g Facebook. Some are strictly Comm...e.g MTN, While some combine all, e.g Microsoft which runs Hotmail, Skype,Windows, Xbox, PC, Laptops, etc.

Google has began to migrate from being just an Info company (www.google.com, google maps, translator, gmail, etc) to becoming a communications company (hangout, google talk, etc) and also now a Tech company (Google specs, Nexus Phone, etc)

Nigerians would even call Nairaland a TECH company....Illiteracy at it's peak.

Hate to burst your bubble but these companies listed are Tech companies, not just websites. It beggars belief that you'd even list Facebook as just a website; have you seen the third party applications and services running on facebook, or the sheer power of their back-end processes. Technology is broad and once you leverage the power it offers to run your business, you may be classified as a tech company. P.S- Is google also just a website?

1 Like

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Rating(m): 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2017
Well, the post is about top tech startups, and I believe the ranking came about due to users and funding. To really talk about revenue (which is the key for survival) for these companies will be another thing.

1 Like

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Rating(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2017
Cacawa2:

A tech company is not a company that USES technology.

But a company that MANUFACTURES technology.

Otherwise, you would call CIA or DoD a Tech company because they solely depend on Technology to work.

Where did you get it that CIA and DoD solely depend on technology? HumInt is still their greatest asset that SigInt.

1 Like

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Rating(m): 1:56pm On Oct 07, 2017
harmbhrosz:
oga just because a firm solely operate on internet doesn't make it a tech company, we are literate enough to understand this na, internet is part of a technology that stands as a platform for easy connectivity.

Microsoft, Google, Nokia, Apple, Canon, even Amazon (which now produce tech appliances) are companies that should be regarded as Tech companies pls

just because Julius Berger uses technology machines to construct doesn't make them a tech company, just because Channels TV uses cameras internet and other tech in running their company doesn't make them a tech company.

I disagree. The worldwide classification of these so-called tech-based or web-based companies are all under the same category: Internet/Technology
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 07, 2017
simiolu1:

I'll address the bolded.

Every idea is a copy or metamorphosis of another idea. Mention any idea from the top of your head (whether you thought about it) or its already in existence; I'll pick it apart and show you that the above statement is true. It is simply the law of nature and it is true in Science, Technology, Business, Psychology and so on. So, marketplaces are not new; they are very old--eBay, Craigslist etc.

While I understand your point, innovation is not some rocket science we think it to be. Because at the end of the day; your service, product or solution should solve your user's/customer's problem/challenge in the simplest way possible. Customers don't care about the technology; the question is what can it do for them? If it does that thing successfully and delights them in the process; it is innovative.

How do you think people in Nigeria felt when they could buy Nokia 3310, purchase that "thing" called sim card, put it in their phones and call anywhere in the world? Europe and America had been using telephone lines for a very looooooong time. But to the Nigerian; the GSM was innovative. How do you also think it felt when people were now charged per second instead of the per minute billing that MTN and Econet had been known for?

My point: innovation is in the complex engineering problems and it is also in the simple things. It can be as complex as a self-driving car, and it can also be as simple as pricing or mode of payment. That is why Nigeria is the only country in the world that Uber accepts cash. That is also why Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world that e-commerce stores do pay-on-delivery. That my bro is also innovation.

So the question I would ask you is this: would you start a self-driving car company in Nigeria? Would you start something like SpaceX in Africa? The point is simple: people look first and foremost to their immediate environment for problems and challenges to solve. When that solution becomes successful, they then look to expand it.

That is why Nigeria critically needs companies like LifeBank to handle the logistics of moving blood from where it is to where it is needed so that patients would not die. That is also why Nigerians need something like Kudi.ai that allows them to make financial transactions from Facebook messenger. That is also why Nigerians still need something like Hotels.ng to allow them book for hotels from the comfort of their phones. Because in advanced countries, these problems have been solved ten times over.

Startups loose money for a lot of reasons; pegging it at "copying" is at best simplistic.
when I say innovative, I mean being novel and that's what you explained upthere and not "building a product from scratch". Like I said, only a few Nigerian startups have the potential to scale outside of Nigeria that's because they can't be termed "novel" outside Nigeria. For instance, look at the number of startups in the ecommerce space yet none that I know of is offering a service like aliexpress is doing. Ali express already is scaling in Nigeria. You mentioned UBER but go my way just closed down. My point remains many Nigeria startups copy without being innovative. Innovative in the sense that they fail to understand their customer. An innovative scheme in the e commerce space is, shop on credit. You can shop and then money deducted from say you next month salary.. just like the salary advance thingy.
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 2:08pm On Oct 07, 2017
Jobberster one sounds great especially if they can help companies recruit.
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by biggy26: 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2017
Cacawa2:

When we talk about ICT, Info, Comm and Tech, some companies are simply Info...e.g Facebook. Some are strictly Comm...e.g MTN, While some combine all, e.g Microsoft which runs Hotmail, Skype,Windows, Xbox, PC, Laptops, etc.

Google has began to migrate from being just an Info company (www.google.com, google maps, translator, gmail, etc) to becoming a communications company (hangout, google talk, etc) and also now a Tech company (Google specs, Nexus Phone, etc)

You are still learning. That's why Naija hasn't gone so far, it's cos of definitions like yours. Pls go do your research properly before u make public statements!
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by biggy26: 2:20pm On Oct 07, 2017
Leopantro:

very interesting point. we need to differentiate between tech startup and websites.

You that agreed with cacawa on tech companies are also a learner just like I told him. Do your research pls.
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 07, 2017
biggy26:

You are still learning. That's why Naija hasn't gone so far, it's cos of definitions like yours. Pls go do your research properly before u make public statements!
you have a long way to go boy
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Abbotp: 2:44pm On Oct 07, 2017
Congrats to them and watch out for us

1 Like

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Syphonn(m): 2:51pm On Oct 07, 2017
UK AdSense for sale. #unverified
WhatsApp 09068605947
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Leopantro: 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2017
biggy26:

You that agreed with cacawa on tech companies are also a learner just like I told him. Do your research pls.

you didn't get the sarcasm in what I wrote

1 Like

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by harmbhrosz(m): 5:15pm On Oct 07, 2017
Rating:

I disagree. The worldwide classification of these so-called tech-based or web-based companies are all under the same category: Internet/Technology
like I said, they're only using technology (internet) for their businesses those websites above are web-based like you said, they can't fully be classified as technology company, their main classification should be, Online shopping mall, job seeking platform, financial firm and so on.

Honeywell/Dangote that uses Agricultural produce for their production but they're not classified as Agricultural companies which is why they're called food companies. Get the difference pls

A Tech company should solely produce / provide services mainly on technology and technological appliances/devices/machines

Or should we say Linda Ikeji is also a tech company?

I still don't understand why this is a topic sef

1 Like

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 07, 2017
Cacawa2:

What makes Microsoft a tech company while Facebook isn't a tech company?
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by RichardKajola(m): 8:37pm On Oct 07, 2017
Jumia is bigger than Konga
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by Jpaul16(m): 9:23pm On Oct 07, 2017
RichardKajola:
Jumia is bigger than Konga
Konga was started by a Nigerian while jumia was not
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by RichardKajola(m): 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2017
Jpaul16:
Konga was started by a Nigerian while jumia was not
Okay thanks for the info
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by vpaymoney(m): 10:00pm On Oct 07, 2017
Guy you amaze me with this your trash. So you will even call Uber an ordinary app abi?
Cacawa2:

Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by igbanbajo(m): 3:27am On Oct 08, 2017
Jpaul16:
A lot of tech startups have graced the Nigerian tech scene in the past ten years, with only a few making it to the top, while others fell due to the gravitational pull of the challenges they faced. While there are so many of them in their respective fields, I have listed just seven of them that really stand out.

Konga

Konga is an online ecommerce website where people can search for goods of almost any kind and order them. Their orders are then processed and delivered to them at their doorstep. As of 2016, konga was worth about $34million and had over 180, 000 users, 80% of them acessing the site via mobile phones. In 2014 konga recieved $25million in a series b funding and $60million in august 2012. Konga was founded by Sim Shagaya in 2012 and is Nigeria’s biggest online shopping mall.

Paga

Paga is a mobile payment service founded by Tayo Oviosu. Customers can use paga to send money to anyone in Nigeria either from their mobile phones or any internet enabled device or through paga agents spread across the country. Founded in 2009, Paga has grown to become one of the most used fintech service in Nigeria. In less than a year after launching operations, paga had accumulated over 32,000 active users and processed transactions worth over $1.6million in volume. As of 2016 it has processed transactions worth over $156 billion. Paga recieved $13million in series B funding in october 2016.

Hotels.ng

Hotels.ng is the brain child of Mark Essien. He noticed the lack of online hotel booking platforms in Nigeria and promptly went ahead to solve it, and hotels.ng was born. It is an online hotel booking platform where you can browse through thousands of hotels and book their desired rooms. In 2015, hotels.ng recieved $1.2million in investment funding. The company has over 5000 hotels in its database and has seen over $2.3million in transactions and had hit a revenue of 480,000 per month in 2014.

Irokotv

Irokotv is an online Nollywood movie streaming website, where users have access to thousands of nollywood movies. Irokotv works on a subscription basis; 3000 Naira per year, though they recently began offering data free downloads at kiosks of their agents scattered throughout Nigeria. Irokotv has over 65,000 subscribers, most of which are located in the diaspora. Launched in December 2011 by Jason Njoku and Bastian Gotter, IrokoTv recieved $8 million from Tiger Global in 2012 and Kinnevik invested $2 million in irokotv. Irokotv has often been called the Netflix of Africa.

Printivo

Printivo was founded in 2013 by three young men; Ibukun oloyede, Oluyomi ojo and Ayodeji Adeogun. According yo Oluyomi Ojo the CEO, he saw a niche that was underserved and that was why he and his cofounders set up printivo.Pritivo is an online do it yourself card design and printing service. It allows users to design the cards of their choice, choosing from lots of available templates, and after designing, order for copies to be printed and sent to their doorstep.In 2015 printivo closed a six figure investment seed from EchoVc and was recently selected among the 20th batch of 500 startups’ program.

Tolet.com.ng

Tolet.com.ng is an online property rental portal where users can search for houses amongst thousands listed and get in touch with agents.. It was founded in 2013 by four visionary young men: Fikayo Ogundipe, Sulaimon Balogun, Oladipo Eludire and Oluwaseyi Ayeni. As of 2016 tolet.com.ng had over 20000 listings on its portal. The company recieced seed funding from Jason Njoku’s SPARK.NG, and in 2016 it raised $1.2 million in series A funding led by malaysia based Frontier Digital ventures.

Jobberman

While many students were fretting over what would befall them after they graduated from school, three men were busy solving the problem. Jobberman, an online jobboard where companies can post job vacancies and the unemployed can find jobs is the work of Opeyemi Awoyemi, Ayodeji Adewunmi and Olalekan Olude.In 2011 a New York based fund with investments in facebook and linkedin became an investor in jobberman. In 2015 One Africa Media acquired a 100% stake in the company. Jobberman was also listed among the top Tech startups by forbes in 2012. 

Source [url]techburn.com.ng[/url]
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by karlboss: 7:44am On Oct 08, 2017
@ least I learnt something
Re: Top Tech Startups In Nigeria by spartanian(m): 8:39pm On Oct 10, 2017
nice thread

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Join Our N1billion Modern Chicken Slaughter House Business / Appeal Court Orders CBN To Account For Cecilia Ibru’s Assets / EFCC Freezes 300 Illegal Forex Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.