Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,663 members, 7,847,717 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 03:57 AM

The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels (28272 Views)

Donald Trump's Beast Vs Vladimir Putin's Bunker On Wheels (Photo Comparison) / Mercedes-benz Praises Vladimir Putin's Bunker On Wheels / Ferrari's Newly Unveiled £3m FXX-K Evo Hypercar Is Like A Fighter Jet On Wheels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Bmedels26(f): 7:21pm On Oct 06, 2017

Though Toyota effectively started the funky box trend in America with the original Scion xB, the company has abandoned the sub-segment since killing off the second-generation model in 2015. The Japanese automaker has shown renewed interest in this niche, though, first with the FT-4X that debuted at the New York Auto Show, and now with this Tj Cruiser it will reveal at the Tokyo Motor Show.

According to Toyota, the “T” in Tj stands for toolbox, because this practical little machine can be used like one to store all sorts of stuff. We suspect that a toolbox was also a key design inspiration. It’s all slab sides and sharp corners like a traditional metal toolbox. There are also a variety of strakes stamped in the metal that suggest it’s stiff and strong. The silver paint is accented by panels coated in a bed liner-style material to make it look tougher, as well as resist scratches. We also noticed the grille mesh evokes the look of diamond-stamped steel plates. The slab sides are broken up by wider fenders that help it look lower. Though on paper these design details sound like they would be over-the-top, the overall look is actually rather attractive and it’s restrained enough that we could see a production one looking extremely similar.

The interior continues the theme of straight lines and practicality. The instruments are laid out in a thing and wide binnacle on the dash. The steering wheel is squared off with a horizontal rectangle functioning as the spokes. There are also functional and decorative woven straps throughout the Tj. Even the door panels look like peg boards. All seats but the driver’s fold completely flat, and the backs are covered in the same bed liner material as found on the exterior. The seat backs have plenty of tie-down points, too. Add-in the sliding rear doors, and the Tj Cruiser seems like a very versatile little hatch.

It sounds as though Toyota could be considering this little box for production, too. The company suggests that it would use the TNGA platform that currently underpins the Prius and the C-HR. In addition, it would offer front- and all-wheel-drive drivetrains, along with a “2.0-class engine + hybrid system.” We take that to mean that it would have an engine sized up to 2.0 liters, possibly with or without an electric motor. Of course a hybrid, and one with that engine displacement, would be easy to accommodate on the TNGA platform seeing as the Prius uses it. The C-HR even offers an all-wheel-drive hybrid variant overseas. Not only would the platform make it feasible, but Toyota has registered the “TJ Cruiser” as a trademark in the U.S., and that was before showing this concept. That’s no guarantee of production, but Toyota sure seems serious about this thing.

Source:http://carfreaksng.com/2017/10/06/new-toyota-tj-cruiser-giant-tool-box-wheels/

2 Likes

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Oblitz(m): 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2017
beautiful
call me for personal stamped concrete.
check my profile
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 06, 2017
my kinda bus,but i need at least 2.7l on this and the front grille should be raised and no side headlamps(makes it look like 2nd generation Jeep liberty) with that we are good to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Papiikush: 7:16am On Oct 07, 2017
Give it 6 months and you'll see the seats peeling off already.

Toyota should work on their fake seats

4 Likes

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Discharge(m): 7:17am On Oct 07, 2017
Nice one Toyota. .......make I come dey go fin wife wey go born triplet for me, then I will consider buying one.

1 Like

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 07, 2017
Beautifully crafted
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by christaddicted: 7:18am On Oct 07, 2017
Good
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Queenbalikees(f): 7:19am On Oct 07, 2017
E
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by OnyeJombo: 7:19am On Oct 07, 2017
grin so from FJ to TJ cruiser chia

5 Likes

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by AntiWailer: 7:19am On Oct 07, 2017
Awesome car.
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by thonyokun(m): 7:20am On Oct 07, 2017
Toyota no sabi interior.
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Babachukwu: 7:20am On Oct 07, 2017
I love it
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by twilliamx(m): 7:20am On Oct 07, 2017
Ok
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by twilliamx(m): 7:21am On Oct 07, 2017
K
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by LionDeLeo: 7:21am On Oct 07, 2017
Choi, dis one na for the real big boys, not the I-better-pass-my-neighbours big boys. cheesy
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by chuksteve37(m): 7:22am On Oct 07, 2017
Thiz will be so good for ambulance, It may even carry two corpses ghoon. #ToyotaCrap[color=#006600][/color] cool cool

3 Likes

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by miarhpe: 7:28am On Oct 07, 2017
nice. I like that it can be used for medical emergency purpose, a make shift bed (in case of distress or camping) and for baby making attempt *winks*
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by dejonathan(f): 7:29am On Oct 07, 2017
Ok
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by iamchybs(m): 7:34am On Oct 07, 2017
This is a good one for a family
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by itiswellandwell: 7:38am On Oct 07, 2017
This is nice. May God bless every one hustle

Check my signature for ongoing promo of our full capacity powerbank
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by DabuIIIT: 7:42am On Oct 07, 2017
LionDeLeo:
Choi, dis one na for the real big boys, not the I-better-pass-my-neighbours big boys. cheesy

i got one n i also gat a mai ruwa/mai car washer job...just in case grin
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by LionDeLeo: 7:43am On Oct 07, 2017
DabuIIIT:

i got one n i also gat a mai ruwa/mai car washer job...just in case grin

Professor emeritus
Olodi apapa
UsmanDanCATTLERearer
Oya, continue from there.
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by kay29000(m): 7:45am On Oct 07, 2017
Hmm
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by talk2percy(m): 7:47am On Oct 07, 2017
Did u guys do anything about the shameful breakages of the dashboard Please Toyota do sth about that, it is embarrassing!!!
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by Zeroid105: 7:48am On Oct 07, 2017
Toyota is able to maintain it's good position in the auto industry mainly due to application of practicability in designs. This TJ cruiser isn't different. Many coys into technical and supplies would love this PRACTICAL MACHINE!
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by resocorp: 7:55am On Oct 07, 2017
Looks like modified honda element

2 Likes

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by cocoberry(f): 8:15am On Oct 07, 2017
My TJ
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by 400billionman: 8:26am On Oct 07, 2017
grin

Honda don hear whiine... Beaten to their element..

The first time I would say Toyota is mimicking anoother car maker's design. Toyota is kmown for superior originality.

While Mercedes is known for mimicking BMW and Porsche in car design technology.

So this one replaces FJ Cruiser.

Okay..
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by 400billionman: 8:37am On Oct 07, 2017
Papiikush:
Give it 6 months and you'll see the seats peeling off already.

Toyota should work on their fake seats

I have never experienced peeled off seats on my Toyotas up to 7 years later..

Which one dey peel ?

1 Like

Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by 400billionman: 8:42am On Oct 07, 2017
talk2percy:
Did u guys do anything about the shameful breakages of the dashboard Please Toyota do sth about that, it is embarrassing!!!

Leave 1995 Camry alone..
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by whatmoreng: 8:42am On Oct 07, 2017
I prefer curves.
Re: The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels by bloatboi: 8:44am On Oct 07, 2017
whatmoreng:
I prefer curves.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Price Of New Tyre / 14 Companies That Control The Auto Industry (photos) / Photos: Are FRSC Officials Supposed To Beat Up A Citizen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.