Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,858 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:20 AM

GM Shows Off A New Autonomous Fuel-cell Truck - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / GM Shows Off A New Autonomous Fuel-cell Truck (965 Views)

See How This Autonomous BMW 7 Series Can Scare Away Your Village People (video) / Watch GM Korea Employees Storm And Destroy CEO's Office After Bonuses Cut / GM To Release Cars With No Steering Wheel In 2019 (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

GM Shows Off A New Autonomous Fuel-cell Truck by Bmedels26(f): 11:31am On Oct 07, 2017

I was surprised by GM’s announcement of their new robotic fuel-cell-powered all-terrain utility-truck platform, SURUS. Most automaker reveals aren’t this confidently utilitarian, and it also seems to be a rebirth of a GM concept I thought was long dead, the Hy-wire fuel-cell concept that featured a self-contained, skateboard-like platform. The surprise is good, because the concept seems very promising.

In a lot of ways, SURUS is like a very modernized version of the old Willys M274 Mechanical Mule. It’s like the Mechanical Mule self-propelled platform concept combined with the electric fuel-cell propulsion system of the Hy-wire program, and then enhanced with modern autonomous driving tech. The result is a robotic, all-terrain vehicle with a load area the entire length of the vehicle itself.

GM is pitching the SURUS concept to utility and military applications, and their press release describes the vehicle’s potential abilities:

SURUS will deliver highly mobile autonomous capability and agility in unpredictable terrain. Operating multiple vehicles in a leader-follower configuration could reduce manpower needed. For future potential military uses, the system’s inherent low heat signature and quiet operation offer benefits in environments to reduce detection and risks. TARDEC has been in discussions with GM evaluating the commercial SURUS concept as a next step of the broader collaboration to evaluate fuel cell technology for future military applications.

SURUS has four-wheel steering, two motors, a LiON battery system as well as a fuel cell system for a total of 400 miles of range and uses chassis components from GM’s existing truck lines.

Oh, the odd acronym SURUS technically stands for “Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure” but that feels sort of forced. I suspect GM wanted the name SURUS because Hannibal’s last war elephant was named Surus (which means “the Syrian”). Naming something like this after a war elephant is a pretty cool idea.

I’m also excited to see a major automaker introduce what is essentially a blank electric chassis onto the market. I’ve been advocating that Tesla do this with their self-contained, skateboard-like chassis for over a year, and I’m just pleased to see the idea happen in some way, even if obliquely like this.

But think about it—a civilian version of SURUS would make a fantastic platform for delivery vehicles, buses, and, best of all, RVs! A camper that could drive itself down the highway while you cooked up some pizza rolls or took a leisurely bowel movement is essentially the modern human’s dream, realized.

GM has some images showing a passenger cab on the platform, and it’s easy to imagine how that nice flat area could accomodate all manner of other body types as well, like this ambulance concept:

This is an exciting idea, and I’m very curious to see where it goes next.

Source:http://carfreaksng.com/2017/10/07/gm-shows-off-new-autonomous-fuel-cell-truck/

(1) (Reply)

Sell Us Your Scrap,damaged,accident Or Parked Unused Vehicles In Lagos / Transmission Issue Peugeot 407 / Young Nigerian Man Thrills Ladies With His 'Customised Vehicle' In Enugu (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.