Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,814 members, 7,872,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:20 PM

Going Into Politics Made Me Poorer – Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Going Into Politics Made Me Poorer – Peter Obi (576 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics / Atiku/Obi Introduce FIFA (VAR) Analog Into Politics At 'The Candidates' / 20 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Directly Or Indirectly Ventured Into Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Into Politics Made Me Poorer – Peter Obi by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 07, 2017
As a Governor, I spent over N37 billion paying arrears of pensions and gratuity in the State since 1990. I paid some of the contracts executed under Dr. Mbadinuju and did not complain. In my own case, after doing all this, I paid for every single executed contract. Some Governors were handed over states owing billions in salaries, contracts and money borrowed from banks unlike what I handed over to my successor. I want to say that whether anybody likes it or not, it is on record in this country and I can prove it with bank documents and statements that I left over 25 billion Naira in local investments for Anambra State; over N25 billion in cash in the banks, and $156 million in the banks in Nigeria. So I ask the question – do you think anyone can leave such money and turn around to beg the person he handed over to give him N7 billion? I would have taken it first, give them the balance and still be in good shape. Let me use the dollars as example, nobody has ever left one dollar in any state in Nigeria. I left $156 million dollars. $30 million alone is over N7 billion naira. If I had taken chances and left 120 million, I will still be a champion. Let it be on record that the money, with its accruals, is today about N200 billion. But the claim by Dr. Ifeanyi Uba against you is that you demanded N7 billion from your successor to back him or impose another candidate if he refuses to pay the amount. In fact he accused you of manipulating the last PDP primary to produce your own stooge as candidate. You could even sense it yourself that it is sheer blackmail. I am a Christian and I am not supposed to swear, but I can put my hand on any form of ecclesiastically prescribed oath and say that I have never discussed with anybody to be paid any amount. I have never done that and I will never do that. At this stage of my life, I cannot support anybody for political and personal benefits. I have passed that stage and to do so is to abuse the Grace of God in my life. I did not go into politics wretched; I was already a director in three financial institutions, a director in four other major companies; all by the virtue of my investments. I was also running a successful family business. Going into politics even made me poorer but I won’t question anything because that is where God wants me to be. The joy of rendering fruitful service to the people cannot be quantified in naira and kobo. For me, all I want is for us to have a better society; caring for the poor and the people. Ordinarily, I don’t react to comments people make, especially those made out of ulterior motives. I do not return evil for evil, rather I will cling to my rosary, praying for God’s love on all of us.
When I went into government, I went into government to serve the people. My regret is about my country not taking the advantage of building a better country that will accommodate everybody. If I tell you where this country was when China started what they are doing today, you will shudder. We were better off in all indices of development: they didn’t have money; they didn’t have anything. Why did they do better? I’m looking forward to my country learning from her mistakes. Is it because Nigeria is not doing well that you said you want to be Vice President? You are talking about aspirations that are not there, which is part of well-planned issues to blackmail me. What I want is a good Nigeria. You don’t need to have a post to speak about a good Nigeria. I go around because I know that we can be better. I know we can reduce the cost of governance that is unacceptable. I know because I’ve been a Governor. As a Governor, rather than stay in hotels where people pay over N500, 000 per night, I stayed in a Hotel I paid less than 50,000. Rather than have a convoy of 20, I had that of five. Rather than maintain over 10 guest houses, I closed them down and restricted myself to the Lodge. Rather than travel on chartered plans, I flew even economy class most times. These are cost-saving measures that we deliberately introduced to keep government going.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/going-politics-made-poorer-peter-obi/

Re: Going Into Politics Made Me Poorer – Peter Obi by olawalepopoola: 7:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
Lie from the pit of hell. No politician is poor after leaving office
Re: Going Into Politics Made Me Poorer – Peter Obi by Biggie225(m): 7:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
but u have #256million to purchase a flat in ikoyi...thief

2 Likes

Re: Going Into Politics Made Me Poorer – Peter Obi by mrvitalis(m): 9:42pm On Oct 07, 2017
Biggie225:
but u have #256million to purchase a flat in ikoyi...thief
He already had enough wealth to buy 100 of that before becoming a governor

There are smart people who make money and keep quiet and obi is one of them

He is far richer than Ifeayi Uba and all the othe noise makers

But to say he is poorer is what I can't confirm

(1) (Reply)

I Challenge The Igbo To Start Another Civil War -junaid Mohammed / How Will Federal Republic Of Igboland Look Like? / Zuma Statue - You Are Very Stupid Rochas Slam Polical Commentator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.