Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,362 members, 7,964,474 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 02:18 PM

Two Bad Options For Iran - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Two Bad Options For Iran (723 Views)

Obama Administration Wins Gulf Support For Iran Deal / Secession Bid Of Texas And Obama's War Options! / Underestimate Isreal's Military Option For Iran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Bad Options For Iran by jessefly: 9:03am On Mar 10, 2010
[size=18pt]Israel's UN ambassador on Tuesday said prospects for crippling UN sanctions against Iran were "grim" because Russia and China want to use diplomacy to convince Iran to scale back its nuclear ambitions.[/size]

The chances now seem grim regarding sanctions that will be crippling," Ambassador Gabriela Shalev told reporters here.
She said Russia and China, two veto-wielding members of the UN Security Council, "are still looking to the diplomatic track" and appear reluctant to back a new round of tough sanctions proposed by Washington and its Western allies.
"The Chinese and the Russians still hope that diplomacy will work. They do not want to inflict any harm on the Iranian people," she added.
Shalev said that if the 15-member council was unable to agree on crippling sanctions, then Israel "will look to the countries themselves" to slap additional bilateral sanctions.
On Monday, Israeli Vice Prime Minister Silvan Shalom called on the Security Council to impose "crippling" sanctions on Iran over its nuclear defiance.
"The time has come to impose crippling sanctions on the Iranians and I asked to put the 300 leaders of the Revolutionary Guards that are controlling Iran these days on the (UN sanctions) blacklist," he told reporters after meeting with UN chief Ban Ki-moon.
Israel considers Iran its biggest security threat because of comments by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad calling for the Jewish state to be wiped off the map and questioning the Holocaust.
Israel is widely reported to be the only nuclear-armed power in the Middle East, but it refuses to confirm or deny this, instead pursuing a policy of "nuclear ambiguity."
The UN Security Council has already slapped three rounds of sanctions on Iran over its refusal to halt uranium enrichment which Israel and the West view as a cover to build nuclear weapons.
Tehran denies the charge, saying the program is for peaceful nuclear energy.
The United States, Britain, France and Germany have proposed a fourth set of financial sanctions targeting Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards, but China has questioned the usefulness of sanctions at this time.
Russia has signaled that it might be willing to back sanctions provided they only target Iran's nuclear proliferation activities.
Shalev said the world was edging closer to "two bad options": Iran continuing to race towards nuclear weapons capacity, which "will put the whole world under the threat of nuclear war," or Tehran being stopped only "by force."
She said the second possibility was currently being discussed by high-ranking US and Israeli political and military leaders, but declined to provide further details.

Brazil and Turkey, two non-permanent members of the Council, have expressed misgivings about new Iran sanctions.
On Tuesday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan signaled that Ankara might oppose new punitive measures.
"I don't believe that any further sanctions will yield results," Erdogan told reporters during a visit to Saudi Arabia, adding that two earlier rounds of sanctions "have never yielded results."
Turkey, which has good ties with its neighbour Iran, has offered to host an exchange of Iran's low-enriched uranium (LEU) for 20-percent-enriched uranium supplied by world powers to Tehran as part of a UN-drafted deal

house are there any possibilities that Iran will soon be invaded by the US given present scenarios and if such happens will it be sucessful fair enough like the iraqi invasion and bring a final solution to the nuclear ambitions of iran.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100309/twl-grim-prospects-for-crippling-un-iran-3cd7efd_1.html
Re: Two Bad Options For Iran by ElRazur: 9:10am On Mar 10, 2010
Israel have a point.  No one have been indefiance of the UN and the atomic community more since Saddam.

In some ways, this is putting pressure indirectly on Iran so as to make them comply. I suppose Iran will worry about the security threats from outside and will constantly look over her shoulder.

On the other hand, the lack of support from China and Russia is larely motivated by Politics - need to be see as playing on the world stage and partly due to trade. All in my opinion off course.
Re: Two Bad Options For Iran by johnblaze1: 8:12pm On Mar 10, 2010
Israel have point. No one have been indefiance of the UN and the atomic community more since Saddam.

In some ways, this is putting pressure indirectly on Iran so as to make them comply. I suppose Iran will worry about the security threats from outside and will constantly look over her shoulder.

On the other hand, the lack of support from China and Russia is larely motivated by Politics - need to be see as playing on the world stage and partly due to trade. All in my opinion off course.

you are right!!
Re: Two Bad Options For Iran by jessefly: 8:10am On Mar 11, 2010
iran are definitely not gonna give in, cos the way dere are headed deir intentions are clear, they want nukes n dey r gonna get it, they r jus playing with time den wham dey r testing deir first nuke.
Wat i feel is dat we could be seeing anoda invasion real soon just a pity it aint gonna come from a democrat in office.
dats why i love d republicans all thru.
Re: Two Bad Options For Iran by ElRazur: 8:28am On Mar 11, 2010
I am happy with an invasion than an Iran with a nuke. smiley

I am happy with an invasion than a potential world war. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Arms And Men Out Of Libya Fuelling Mali Rebellion / Osama Bin Laden Fathered 4 Kids While On The Run / Zambians Killed Chinese Supervisor, Injured Another Over Pay And Abuse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.