Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,333 members, 7,971,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 03:00 AM

Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? (1029 Views)

Ejiro Otarigho The Burning Tanker Driver Gives Thanksgiving In Church (Video) / Ijaw Traditional Worshippers Hold End Of Year Thanksgiving In The River (Photos) / Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:12pm On Oct 10, 2017
As comprehensive as it is, why doesn't the Lord's Prayer include thanking God for His blessings?
Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by clarocuzioo(m): 5:05am On Oct 11, 2017
Please explain "hallowed be thy name" if it's not giving thanks and praise, as the two always work hand in hand.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:19am On Oct 11, 2017
clarocuzioo:

Please explain "hallowed be thy name" if it's not giving thanks and praise, as the two always work hand in hand.

Good question. "Hallowed be your name" is telling us to worship God, and to praise Him for who He is. Shouldn't we include expressions of our thankfulness in all our prayers?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by clarocuzioo(m): 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Good question. "Hallowed be your name" is telling us to worship God, and to praise Him for who He is. Shouldn't we include expressions of our thankfulness in all our prayers?

If you are a true Christian you would have understood that praise and Thanksgiving go hand in hand, you can't separate the two, " I will enter His gates with Thanksgiving in my mouth, I will enter His courts with praise".
Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:49pm On Oct 11, 2017
clarocuzioo:

If you are a true Christian you would have understood that praise and Thanksgiving go hand in hand, you can't separate the two, " I will enter His gates with Thanksgiving in my mouth, I will enter His courts with praise".

We have thanksgiving, praise and worship. Are you saying there is no difference? How do you give thanks? undecided
Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by clarocuzioo(m): 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

We have thanksgiving, praise and worship. Are you saying there is no difference? How do you give thanks? undecided

Am not saying there's no difference but if you observe closely and critically, you will agree with me that they all go together. Let's take an example when they want to go on praise and worship, you may hear the lead singer asking everybody to say thank you Jesus, in the case of our lords prayer it's says "hallowed be they name" the thanks is encapsulated in there, it's a total package of worship, praise and Thanksgiving, also the Thanksgiving is a thing of the heart and not just mouth, " with a heart of Thanksgiving I will bless thee oh Lord".
Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2017
clarocuzioo:

Am not saying there's no difference but if you observe closely and critically, you will agree with me that they all go together. Let's take an example when they want to go on praise and worship, you may hear the lead singer asking everybody to say thank you Jesus, in the case of our lords prayer it's says "hallowed be they name" the thanks is encapsulated in there, it's a total package of worship, praise and Thanksgiving,

Agreed that its a total package but the question is why it is not specifically included in the Lord's prayer. You earlier gave the example of the song saying to enter His gate with thanksgiving in our hearts and to enter His courts with praise. For us to enter His holies of holies is when we begin to worship Him, thus the phrase "Hallowed be thy name," that's where the real worship begins and we cannot get there without entering through the gate with thanksgiving.

clarocuzioo:

also the Thanksgiving is a thing of the heart and not just mouth, " with a heart of Thanksgiving I will bless thee oh Lord".

I agree with this point. All our prayers must include the expression of thanksgiving. smiley
Re: Why Is There No "Thanksgiving" In The Lord's Prayer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
Why doesn't the Lord's Prayer include thanking God for His blessings? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Another Funny Church Picture As Posted By Daddy Freez / How To Break Free From Ancestral Limitations - Archbishop Nick Duncan Williams / Oyedepo Spotted Chatting With UN Officials Besides His Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.