Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,661 members, 7,975,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 07:14 AM

What Did Jesus Christ Mean By “judge Not”? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Christ Mean By “judge Not”? (434 Views)

What Does The Death Of Christ Mean To You? / As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Jesus Christ Mean By “judge Not”? by FaithfulServant(m): 2:18pm On Oct 12, 2017
As it is written in Matthew 7:1 KJV “Judge not, that ye be not judged”.

Many conclude that judging is the act of making correction or rebuking someone for doing something wrong, but that is not the case . Anyone who sees something wrong and tries to make correction is tagged judgmental; a fellow rebuking someone for doing something wrong is said to be judging that person. The response sometimes given are: “who are you to judge”; “who made you judge over me” or quoting verbatim the words of Jesus “Judge not” without taking into consideration the context used by Jesus (Matthew 7:1).

Picking a single verse from the Holy Bible out of context is wrong. Jesus asking us not to judge in Matthew 7:1 does not mean we should not make correction or use discernment when necessary, but if we are to do so, we should do it rightly (John 7:24).

In John 7:24 when Jesus told the Jew not to judge or conclude by appearance, was in response (John 7:16) to their conclusion that Jesus had not learned and yet was able to teach sound doctrine, without making any attempt to know who truly Jesus was (John 7:15) . They concluded without finding fact and relied on what they thought and saw alone and that was wrong judgment. This is what is seen in the society today where rumors are given more attention than the fact and only few search for the truth before arriving at conclusion (1 Timothy 4:7).

In Matthew 7:1, the context used by Jesus was referring to judging the hypocritical way. Condemning what the condemner himself is guilty of. Passing condemnation and rebuke, and yet guilty of the same offense (see Matthew 7:3-5). With that, I can conclude that rebuking and correcting someone without the one correcting not guilty of the same offense, is not judging but sincere rebuking which the Holy Bible has encourage us to do with all meekness and love (2 Timothy 4:2; Ephesians 4:15).

Anyone, even a preacher who preaches that which is contrary to his own way of life is judging according to the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:1, because he trying to pull out mote out of the eyes of people when he has a beam in his own eye (Matthew 7:15; Matthew 23:27). God is not a respecter of any man (Acts 10:34) and such persons, God will judge (Romans 2:1,3).

There are other wrong ways of passing judgment. One of the ways is condemning others because we think we are better and more righteous than them and that is called self-righteousness. In Luke 18:10-14, a Pharisee was praying and thanking God that he was holy for fasting and tithing, while condemning the tax collector for being an sinner (Luke 18:11), but the tax collector became justified in the sight of God for admitting that he was a sinner. Self- righteous condemnation is a wrong judgment.

Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

God is the righteous Judge (Psalm 50:6) and through Jesus He will judge the whole world (Romans 2:16; Revelation 20:12). Passing judgment which only God should, is wrong judgment and for this reason, avenging and condemning someone to death is wrong (Romans 12:19). Concluding someone will go to hell or telling someone categorically “go to hell” should be avoided because it’s a wrong judgment that is not meant for man but for God who judge everyone according to their works (Luke 13:27; Revelation 20:12).

Deliberate backbiting, slandering or speaking evil falsely against someone without his knowledge is bearing false witness and wrong judgment and will incur the wrath of God (Psalm 101:5; James 4:11; Exodus 20:16). The word of God has made us to understand that backbiters or slanderers will face God's judgement (Romans 1:30-32).

Written by FaithfulServant

Origin: Biblical Christian Quotes and Lessons by FaithfulServant

=> https://www.nairaland.com/3768611/biblical-christian-quotes-lessons-faithfulservant

Re: What Did Jesus Christ Mean By “judge Not”? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2017
This also comes to play in mind whenever I see someone doing something ungodly.

For instance, If I see someone smoking, and after which I go ahead to approach such person, and then tell that certain person "what you're doing isn't right, please give your life to Christ and stop this ungodly habit sad "

From the above statement, one can deduce that my speech tone or the tone of my statement sounds judgmental. Sometimes, such persons end up saying "who are you to judge me angry "

Hmmm. . .
Re: What Did Jesus Christ Mean By “judge Not”? by Empiree: 5:27pm On Oct 12, 2017
Christians need to watch this Karamah( miracle) of Jesus(p). Please watch from 35mins. Are your Pastors like this?. Also you christians that accuse muslim of "72 virgins". Watch number of women Jesus will have in Paradise cheesy grin

This video is for those who speak and understand yoruba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSEDjRbKqY&t=1681
Re: What Did Jesus Christ Mean By “judge Not”? by FaithfulServant(m): 6:30am On Oct 13, 2017
Jhaytee4all:
This also comes to play in mind whenever I see someone doing something ungodly.

For instance, If I see someone smoking, and after which I go ahead to approach such person, and then tell that certain person "what you're doing isn't right, please give your life to Christ and stop this ungodly habit sad "

From the above statement, one can deduce that my speech tone or the tone of my statement sounds judgmental. Sometimes, such persons end up saying "who are you to judge me angry "

Hmmm. . .

It's not judgemental but correction since you're not involved in the same sinful act. You did your best trying to correct and call him to Christ, but if he refuses, Christ has asked us to dust our feet and move on (Mark 6:11; Matthew 7:6).

He will face Christ judgement himself (Matthew 10:15; Revelation 20:12).

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Preachers Wanted! / The Way Of Peace. / Open Heavens Daily Devotional(mon. 18/12/2017) Avoid Defilement!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.