Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,136 members, 7,928,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 02:38 PM

North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents (3255 Views)

Wike Inspects Projects Under The Rain, His ADC Drenched / President Buhari's Initiated, On-going, WIP & Completed Projects under #FMPWH(1) / 18 States That Will Benefit From $500m World Bank Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by vedaxcool(m): 5:57am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

I was hasty with my conclusion on the exact worth of £20 from 1969 but the site below captures its worth.

It is worth 230 pounds today.

Please convert to Naira value.

http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html#calculator

Ipob are devastatingly daft.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by GavelSlam: 6:02am On Oct 15, 2017
vedaxcool:

They've been lied to by family and friends for generations.

It's quite unfortunate how they've been bred over the years.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Nobody: 6:12am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

I was hasty with my conclusion on the exact worth of £20 from 1969 but the site below captures its worth.

oga, why are you being mischievous! are you running a net present value analysis or what?
A wise guy came up with starving biafrans into submission and using the money of the igbos trapped in bank accounts to fund the war against them -hence, Nigeria borrowed negligibly to fund a 3 year war. the 20 pounds given to those with a proof of account is nothing but unfair.
you shouldn't be giving us the present value of the 20 pounds (it wasn't kept as savings), you should give us it's past worth-more especially as the naira was introduced 3 years later.
To the topic in discourse, it isn't wrong to try to use international funds for the north east, but why couldn't he attract some of said funds for the ogoni clean up?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by weyabcom: 6:12am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Look in the mirror.

Mr. Daft 2017 and for all times is there.

You see, I don't work with sentiments, I deal with facts.

A simple Internet search would reveal what 20 Pounds of 1969 is worth today.

Next time, try to upgrade your brain.

OK?

u re really not OK. So if u had 20million and they gave u 20 pounds u will be happy. Well let it be on u as u re happy dey were given 20pound out of all they had

2 Likes

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by hucienda: 6:16am On Oct 15, 2017
Many fools in the south voted in a staunch tribalist into office.

Fools 'cos they were repeatedly warned.

Fela Kuti. #Respect
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by GavelSlam: 6:22am On Oct 15, 2017
eduj:

oga, why are you being mischievous! are you running a net present value analysis or what?
A wise guy came up with starving biafrans into submission and using the money of the igbos trapped in bank accounts to fund the war against them -hence, Nigeria borrowed negligibly to fund a 3 year war. the 20 pounds given to those with a proof of account is nothing but unfair.
you shouldn't be giving us the present value of the 20 pounds (it wasn't kept as savings), you should give us it's past worth-more especially as the naira was introduced 3 years later.
To the topic in discourse, it isn't wrong to try to use international funds for the north east, but why couldn't he attract some of said funds for the ogoni clean up?

They were given 20 pounds whether Nigerian pounds or the sterling they were equivalent at the time.

How many times have you guys kept quiet over and over again as your kinsmen continue to broadcast the "common" £20, which as we've seen is the equivalent of 230 odd pounds sterling today?

Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world in which the Victor has not sought the cost of war from the losers.

We adopted a no Victor no vanquised policy which the newer generation refuses to accept.

My computation on how much was given to easterners post-war stands.

It doesn't take away the fact that we are brothers but that bolf-faced lie that many have been spinning for generations has been busted today.

Call me the Mythbuster.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by vedaxcool(m): 6:27am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

They've been lied to by family and friends for generations.

It's quite unfortunate how they've been bred over the years.

Quite unfortunate. ... hate became a historical tale told over and over again

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by otil1: 6:42am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

You guys got £20, the equivalent of N250,000 today.
How many other citizens got the same?

No! You got it wrong.

Biafran got £20 for any amount whatsoever they left in their bank accounts, even if you have £1billion!

Those without bank deposits got nothing. So it's not like £20 compensation. It's a mark down to £20.

Confirm it! This is why we should teach history.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by sarrki(m): 6:44am On Oct 15, 2017
vedaxcool:

Boss they are also in a state of confusion

1 Like

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by otil1: 6:47am On Oct 15, 2017
You keep making the same mistake.

Biafran wanted not higher than £20 But their hard earned savings and deposits.

Imagine today, whatever you have in your First Bank account, and all you can have of it is your today's equivalent of £20.

Some had millions! Traders and transporters

GavelSlam:

They were given 20 pounds whether Nigerian pounds or the sterling they were equivalent at the time.

How many times have you guys kept quiet over and over again as your kinsmen continue to broadcast the "common" £20, which as we've seen is the equivalent of 230 odd pounds sterling today?

Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world in which the Victor has not sought the cost of war from the losers.

We adopted a no Victor no vanquised policy which the newer generation refuses to accept.

My computation on how much was given to easterners post-war stands.

It doesn't take away the fact that we are brothers but that bolf-faced lie that many have been spinning for generations has been busted today.

Call me the Mythbuster.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by EmeeNaka: 6:50am On Oct 15, 2017
Is Kaduna part of Northeast?
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Blue3k(m): 6:53am On Oct 15, 2017
EmeeNaka:
Is Kaduna part of Northeast?

The ones for Kaduna and Lagos states are state-requested loans, not federal.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by sarrki(m): 6:56am On Oct 15, 2017
Blue3k:

God bless you sire

Keep educating them
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

My computation on how Much was given to easterners post-war stands.

Call me the Mythbuster.
the above is a misnomer.
The naira was introduced on 1 January 1973, replacing the pound at a rate of 2 naira = 1 pound(20 pounds then would be 40 naira).
base your argument on how 40 naira (it's present value then) was enough -you have a higher chance of winning the argument -then basing it on a figure (future worth) you got without recourse to variables like inflation, standard of living etc. like I said earlier, don't think any easterner saved his 20 pounds for over 30 years so that it would yield thousands in naira-hence your analogy is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Desyner: 7:07am On Oct 15, 2017
Blue3k:
6 projects in NE, 6 for whole country. The NE takes 26%. Zero for other geopolitics regions. I can agree with bolded but wonder what's point of NDDC after awhile.

Desyner
All what you are quoting is becos they[IMF] decided to share it the right way. Buhari tried influencing it to favour some persons. Get it ?

1 Like

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by EmeeNaka: 7:07am On Oct 15, 2017
Blue3k:

You mean according to Sheriffdeen Tella or according to World bank? I doubt it. World bank didn't indicate it's a state requested loan. Can Federal govt allow Kaduna state to borrow 350million dollars?
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Omeokachie: 7:08am On Oct 15, 2017
"The World Bank documents did not contain any programme or project specifically designed for the South-East, South-South and the Middle Belt regions since Buhari got into power."

FTC guy left the entire long article to bring in a completely unrelated quote to confuse himself.

The second dude claimed that £20 is equivalent of N250,000.

Now we know how these guys are wired.

5 Likes

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Ovela1(m): 7:14am On Oct 15, 2017
This headline is twisted, when yu read the content carefully, yu will realise that the World Bank has embarked on 7 Projects in The North and 7 Projects in the South, so why de hue and cry over nothing?

My advise to Igbo youths is that they should stop seeing themselves as second class citizens in this country, we are all equal Nigerians with all the rights.

They must not continue to denigrate themselves, insulting everybody else, it's not the way to go!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Blue3k(m): 7:14am On Oct 15, 2017
EmeeNaka:
You mean according to Sheriffdeen Tella or according to World bank? I doubt it. World bank didn't indicate it's a state requested loan. Can Federal govt allow Kaduna state to borrow 350million dollars?

You don't need to believe anyone check the document yourself. Kaduna State Economic Transformation Program

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Deeldorado: 7:49am On Oct 15, 2017
otil1:

No! You got it wrong.

Biafran got £20 for any amount whatsoever they left in their bank accounts, even if you have £1billion!

Those without bank deposits got nothing. So it's not like £20 compensation. It's a mark down to £20.

You have just said the correct thing. The tragedy of not teaching History in Nigeria. See how they are turning history upside down. It was a policy to impoverish Igbos forever combined with the abandoned properties phenomenon but Igbos are better for it today, because it made them resourceful and thick.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Deeldorado: 7:55am On Oct 15, 2017
Ovela1:
This headline is twisted, when yu read the content carefully, yu will realise that the World Bank has embarked on 7 Projects in The North and 7 Projects in the South, so why de hue and cry over nothing?

My advise to Igbo youths is that they should stop seeing themselves as second class citizens in this country, we are all equal Nigerians with all the rights.

They must not continue to denigrate themselves, insulting everybody else, it's not the way to go!

Lies. Seven projects exclusively for the North and the other seven projects for the whole country (meaning Northern states shared from the remaining seven projects too).

Nigeria is unequal. Some Nigerians, particularly from certain regions, 'are more equal' than others. It's either we end marginalisation and exclusion or allow Igbos their right to self-determination. That's the way to go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by okomogo(m): 7:58am On Oct 15, 2017
sarrki:

The hatred coming from my generation is shocking. The ability to discard comprehension, commonsense and context, makes one despair.

In 2015, a newly elected President Buhari met separately with the G7, the World Bank and President Obama. He kept talking about how much rebuilding was needed in the North East.

Do we have any idea of how devastated the North East was by Boko Haram? How they bombed infastructure: roads, schools, bridges, telephone masts, electricity transformers, businesses, agriculture, EVERYTHING sef, into the stone ages?

Nigeria has the largest number of internally displaced refugees living in camps in the WORLD. Millions of children are in danger of starvation.

And in 2015, while the President was talking to world leaders and agencies about how this crippled region needed rebuilding urgently, Boko Haram were still fighting back tenaciously. Bombs were going off regularly. Schools were permanently closed. Businesses were dead. Fear ruled supreme.

Let us pause and think about that?

Now, what leader will NOT plead with the world to help rebuild that region? If GEJ had asked the world to rebuild the North East, I would have applauded that.

There is nothing hidden about PMB asking for help for the North East, and getting promises of loans and grants. It was in the press back in 2015. Widely covered too.

Yes, all Nigeria needs investment and infastructure and rebuilding, but in 2015, the situation in the North East was beyond dire. The region was in danger of collapsing. It NEEDED help urgently.

Thus when I heard how this had been twisted into a North/South debate, I shook my head, and disengaged mentally for a few hours.

The WB president will not know how his innocent words have been twisted by a nation so determined to see nepotism and tribalism in the President, they will fish it out where it does not exist.

Please Oga World Bank, let us educate you that Nigeria is not North and South oooo! Please learn all awa regions o! Ehen ;-)..."

~ Bucky 2017
He said the north not the north east. You can defend your salary for all I care but even before this world Bank revelation, there has been several accusations of him being president of the North. This is just another confirmation.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Deeldorado: 7:59am On Oct 15, 2017
eduj:

the above is a misnomer.
The naira was introduced on 1 January 1973, replacing the pound at a rate of 2 naira = 1 pound(20 pounds then would be 40 naira).
base your argument on how 40 naira (it's present value then) was enough -you have a higher chance of winning the argument -then basing it on a figure (future worth) you got without recourse to variables like inflation, standard of living etc. like I said earlier, don't think any easterner saved his 20 pounds for over 30 years so that it would yield thousands in naira-hence your analogy is wrong.

The point we are missing here is that the so-called 20 pounds was not given to every Igbo man. 20 pounds was given to only people who had money in their bank accounts without minding if you had 20,000 pounds in the account before the war. It was a systematic way of impoverishing Igbos but it failed because Igbos rose above it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Daeylar(f): 8:04am On Oct 15, 2017
otil1:

No! You got it wrong.

Incase anyone misses this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 15, 2017
sarrki:

That's why we will bring the topic down here to educate them
They are bent in self destruction
We won't allow such to happen
They are our brothers and sisters
And which region will pay the debt?
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:14am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Nigeria was using pounds then,not naira,it was Nigeria pounds
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by QuotaSystem: 8:26am On Oct 15, 2017
otil1:

No! You got it wrong.

Dude, you LOST the war. You surrendered

As in you were Defeated, Vanquished, Conquered, it appears most of you have forgotten.

You did not deserve a penny talk less of £20, in medieval times you'd all have been taken as prisoners of war and condemned to slavery and servitude until you can fight back to win your freedom.

So STFU and be thankful for Gowon and Nigeria's graciousness in even giving you stipends to restart your lives. Do you think millionaire Syrians that lost everything to their war have been given even $1? I wonder why Gavelslam is burning time in explaining what you never deserved in the first place. We really need to teach our children their history as you said.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 15, 2017
Sultannayef:

@Sarrki.. why have you sold your soul for a pot of porridge?
I have to be very honest with you, if I were as hungry as the Buhari media crew, I will defend him more that the dude you mentioned.

He didn't sell his soul, he has mouths to feed and bills to pay.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by otil1: 9:10am On Oct 15, 2017
Very good you have been educated this morning on the matter of £20 pounds.

Be bold enough and have the intellectual humility to say 'thanks'

As for winning or losing, that's not the point of discussion.

QuotaSystem:

Dude, you LOST the war. You surrendered

As in you were Defeated, Vanquished, Conquered, it appears most of you have forgotten.

You did not deserve a penny talk less of £20, in medieval times you'd all have been taken as prisoners of war and condemned to slavery and servitude until you can fight back to win your freedom.

So STFU and be thankful for Gowon and Nigeria's graciousness in even giving you stipends to restart your lives. Do you think millionaire Syrians that lost everything to their war have been given even $1? I wonder why Gavelslam is burning time in explaining what you never deserved in the first place. We really need to teach our children their history as you said.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by aolawale025: 9:34am On Oct 15, 2017
Even sensible northerners don't gloat about these inequalities like some southerners (who have lost their way)
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by ivandragon: 9:37am On Oct 15, 2017
lol...

some people will justify ANYTHING PMB does even when doing so will make them sound extremely retarded...

I hope the 'crumbs' they get justifies sacrificing their ability to reason logically...

the North East has been given/pledged over $600m by various aid agencies... telling a charity organisation to focus on the North East is not a problem, but the WB? no way!

knowing the debt traps they love laying for developing countries, to skew resources to favour a part of the country that would not be able to repay the loan is just silly...

WB funds should be used to finance projects that can pay back the loan. the HDPI the WB uses to run humanitarian issues is fraught with clauses that requires payback.
Re: North Got Lion’s Share Of World Bank Projects Under Buhari — Documents by QuotaSystem: 9:39am On Oct 15, 2017
On the contrary, you should be the thankful one for the free history and logic lesson you received this morning.

The value of £20 is a baseless topic because you never deserved one penny to even start with. Is it not when you deserve more than £20 in the first place that you can complain about it?

Defeated and conquered people in war typically are taken as prisoners of war and condemned to slavery until they can win back their freedom. Go and research history.

You should be grateful for Nigeria's graciousness.

otil1:
Very good you have been educated this morning on the matter of £20 pounds.

Be bold enough and have the intellectual humility to say 'thanks'

As for winning or losing, that's not the point of discussion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

El-rufai, 40 Houses, 90 Billion Assets And 20 Million Naira / Oyo Decides 2019 (updates) / An Orchestrated Plan To Pit The Fulanis Against The Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.