Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,144 members, 7,949,950 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 12:40 AM

The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista (2566 Views)

Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by kdships(m): 2:38am On Feb 20, 2007
Why you should upgrade to Windows Vista   cheesy

Good Security
Enhanced networking
Aero Glass user interface
Integrated Sidebar and Search
Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor
500 new GPO objects
BitLocker
Continual support
ReadyBoost (USB drive as memory)
DirectX 10

Why you shouldn't upgrade to Windows Vista angry

Stiff hardware requirements
To use all of the features of Windows Vista, you need a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, and a DirectX 9-capable video card.
Learning curve
No loss of WinXP support
Application incompatibility
DRM issues
Notebook battery drain
Not so innovative
Cost
Vista is too expensive. For the rest of us in Nigeria, that might not be much of a problem if you know what I mean. But it's still expensive though.
A new video card for DirectX 10
Slower game performance
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 20, 2007
I was forced to get a vista ultimate upgrade today, costs about $280.
Believe me, there's no full proof way to crack the vista OS! It's too much of a pain, just buy the original and upgrade.

Vista ultimate runs on my laptop which is a 512MB RAM laptop. though upgrading to at least a 2GB by next month because you cant use the windows aero and media center on a PC with smaller memory.
Application incompatibility! shocked I've virtually had to search for driver downloads all day and my network adapter wont work!
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Fdeveloper(m): 5:33pm On Feb 20, 2007
I would strongly recommend anybody thinking of upgrading their machine to Windows Vista to first download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Adviser available at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

The utility will do a full analysis of your system and generate a report indicating the best version of Windows Vista for the machine in question and also crucially highlighting potential problems and steps that should be taken both before and after the upgrade. Believe me, you will save yourself a lot of unnecessary headaches by using this utility.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by baby4u2(f): 10:11pm On Feb 20, 2007
do you know that battery drain is so true. i just got a windows vista and i didnt charge it for an  hour cause i was taking it to people who could explain the system and the next thing i knew it died on me. i was so scared, cause i thought i had destroyed my new laptop. and now i have been searching for a 2007microsft windows office cause i've been advised not to use anything other than that. does anyone have one in the u.s. (2007 windows office) i promise to send it back to you. thanks.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Bosahchude(m): 12:12am On Feb 21, 2007
Windows Vista is another way of saying "stop laying around, get yourself a $1000 system"
If you ask me, I will say Microsoft sucks, Vista would not be fully accepted until ten years from now when most systems would have met the hardware requirements.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Cactus(m): 3:33am On Feb 21, 2007
why would anyone want windows vista
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Olubuki(f): 8:57am On Feb 21, 2007
you know I got a new laptop, HP Sempron with windows vista installed on it from purchase. I felt very bad about the system becos it was so slow but thanx so much for the enlightenment, I guess I know better now. My computer memory is 512 instead of 1G. probably I need to increase the memory or install office 2007 instead. thanks a lot.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 21, 2007
that may not be all you need to do.vista is a 64bit OS. most apps out there are still 32 bit.Alot of your apps may not run on vista. a lot of hardwre vendors are still trying to make their hardware compatible. u'd best wait for vista SP1.
the latest thing is not always the best thing.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 21, 2007
oyb:

that may not be all you need to do.vista is a 64bit OS. most apps out there are still 32 bit.Alot of your apps may not run on vista. a lot of hardwre vendors are still trying to make their hardware compatible. u'd best wait for vista SP1.
the latest thing is not always the best thing.

Vista comes on a 32-bit and 64-bit version. I am presently using the 32-bit ultimate upgrade version

Olubuki:

you know I got a new laptop, HP Sempron with windows vista installed on it from purchase. I felt very bad about the system because it was so slow but thanx so much for the enlightenment, I guess I know better now. My computer memory is 512 instead of 1G. probably I need to increase the memory or install office 2007 instead. thanks a lot.

Get a 1G memory to solve the speed problem. I am going to do that next month. Install officce 2007 to get the best of microsoft office.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2007
baby4u2:

do you know that battery drain is so true. i just got a windows vista and i didnt charge it for an hour cause i was taking it to people who could explain the system and the next thing i knew it died on me. i was so scared, cause i thought i had destroyed my new laptop. and now i have been searching for a 2007microsft windows office cause i've been advised not to use anything other than that. does anyone have one in the u.s. (2007 windows office) i promise to send it back to you. thanks.

i installed the microsoft office enterprise 2007 version recently. i think microsoft designed vista to also force pple to buy office 2007 too. (thieves!).
Sorry i dont have the installation CD though.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by kdships(m): 12:08am On Feb 22, 2007
If you are crazy about Vista and really want to experience this new baby and you think you can afford to tolerate the headaches, you could get a second PC for it and do all your trials there. But my advice to anyone that don't like wasting so much time fixing things is wait until the coast is clear.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 22, 2007
b warned, if u are upgrading from ms office 2003, you might have some issues. i upgradrd and at first spell check would not function.this happened with the beta versions too!
it turned out they were disabled somewhere .also, u have to configure it properly, or no one will b able to read ur files (except another 2007 user) .u r right, 2007 will NOT run on win 2000.
The Borg marches on! tongue
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by scribe(m): 10:14am On Feb 22, 2007
@kdships
I agree totally with you. It is too much of a risk to loose sleep on MS Vista while one can wait. Let the others do all the trials and solve all the problems. In a matter of months, one will be able to safely upgrade without having headache. By then, there would have been tons of ideas posted in forums and other websites on the Net. grin
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by kdships(m): 11:45am On Feb 22, 2007
Guess what! I use a core 2 duo laptop running @ 1.83ghz with a 1gb ram yet am still on the edge watching.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by texbiano(m): 9:21am On Feb 23, 2007
Windows Vista has one thing going for it and that's the User Experience. It has a rich look that makes one feel he using a Mac. Infact stories have it that Microsoft modelled Vista with Mac OS in mind. My problem with Vista is that one can hardly upgrade successfully from Windows XP without having such annoying issues as firewall conflict. Usually a clean install is the better option, but that does not help the marketabilty of Vista very much. All the same, Microsoft WIndows Vista is an operating systems to experience.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 23, 2007
question:
if you get a brand new windows vista syatem, can one install xp on d system as well?
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by texbiano(m): 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2007
It depends on how the system came configured. Though it is possible to install two operating systems on the same partition, its not advisable. If your system came with Vista, and also came with at least two partitions then I dont see any problem installing your Windows XP on the other partition. It's just about knowing what to do at what point. If one can have heterogeneous operating systems(Windows and Linux) on the same system, then Vista and XP, being from the same vendor should work together nicely.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by kdships(m): 9:07am On Feb 24, 2007
If you are going to have a dual-boot, have it at the back of your mind that there might be conflict problems. In order to avoid this, especially now that we have a new baby we don't know too well, you should install them on different drives. And also make sure that you install them in the proper order. That is, installing the older OS first before the newer one.
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by ghanaboy(m): 3:31pm On Feb 24, 2007
vista is an osx wanna be. If y'all wanna get the xperience vista is tryin 2 give, dump ya pcs and get a mac!
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by Gamine(f): 3:39pm On Feb 24, 2007
vista is an osx want to be. If y'all want to get the xperience vista is tryin 2 give, dump ya pcs and get a mac!
correct guy wink

Btw, why didnt that nonsense Cactus Mr. Perfect tell the poster to post his link
Women-Hater!!
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista by texazzpete(m): 11:13am On Feb 26, 2007
yeah, get a mac cos i soooo love getting ripped off.

Who gives a frag about Macbooks with standardized hardware (middle spec geforce go7600 anyone?) to their crappy OS with loads of cutesy icons and very little else?

Looks don't matter that much after some time,

(1) (Reply)

Lasu Part-time Programme / Mtn 3g Upgraded To 5g / Neatly Used Hp Pavilion G6 Series laptop for #50,000 last

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.