Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,721 members, 7,972,651 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 03:08 PM

Did Jesus Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Tithe? (797 Views)

How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Tithe? by powertalk: 2:56pm On Oct 21, 2017
Did Jesus pay tithe? What a question to ask? A tithe is the tenth part of the whole. Jesus didn’t give a part of his life, He gave all His life! The reason many finds it hard to part with what they have is because to a large extent what you earn is a representative part of what you worth. So, Jesus speaking in John 10:10-11, 17 and said:

‘The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep…. Therefore, My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father’

Without question and unreservedly, he gave his all to God! Now how many are ready then to follow in the footsteps of Jesus? How many are ready to give their all? If we were in a hall or church building now there will be few hands that will be raised up in response to this question. Following in the footsteps of the master is not what we say with our mouth it is what we demonstrate with our acts! You cannot pay the tithe and yet you want to give all? Yes, I have questions about the administration of the tithes, but really it is not within my spiritual purview to judge that, what is within my purview is my worship of the master and no worship is complete without giving!

Psalm 96:8-9, ‘Give to the Lord the glory due His name; Bring an offering, and come into His courts. Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness! Tremble before Him, all the earth. ‘

Bring an offering and then you can worship, that’s what the scripture says here. When the Israelites were to be free from Egypt the man purpose was so they could worship the lord, and by favour GOD made them spoil the Egyptians so that they could have substance to worship the lord when they get to the land he Has promised!

The sacrificial lamb gave himself and today that single offering has reaped over a billion people into the kingdom! This is the power of sacrificial giving, be it ten percent or more, what you give comes back to you in multiplied form!

Still wondering whether Jesus was a tither, no he was more, he was not a tither he was a life giver! He gave his life and took it back again! You want to be like Jesus? Giving the tithe should be the least of your concern, that is if you are really serious about been like Jesus. Because really what is the goal of these recent wave of teachings? What is the motive? To make us give more to the poor? Give less to the church? Really how many of us do give to the poor? How many of us are mindful of our neighbours? How many of us will really give the ninety percent of the remaining part of the tithe to the less privilege consistently without supervision? Bottom-line is those who don’t want to give have just found an excuse not to give, period! Because those of us who are really giving are not tired of giving! And the reason for that is obvious, Jesus gave us the answer in Luke 6:38.....

Read full article here - http://www.powertalk.com.ng/2017/10/11/did-jesus-tithe/

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by powertalk: 8:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
TO THE POOR OR TO THE LORD?

Who should I give my tithe to, to the poor or to the lord? This is one of the major talking points with the recent new wave of teachings on tithing.  And I am trying to find which scripture exactly supports that. I know of the scripture in Nehemiah 10:37-38 which says, to give a tenth of the tithes to the church.

Here it is implied that a tenth of the tithes should be brought to the lord so that the house of the lord will not be neglected, but what I haven’t found so far is where the remaining 90% should be administered to the poor. However, I love that scripture that says whatever you give to the poor you lend to the lord!

‘He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, And He will pay back what he has given.’ (proverbs 19:17)

Now lending to the lord is good business, because whatever you learn is paid back in multiple folds. Every seed returns in a multiplied form and not in its original form. There is another scripture in Proverbs 14:31 that equates oppressing the poor as the same as reproaching the lord.

‘He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, but he who honours Him has mercy on the needy.’ (Proverbs 14:31)

Having said that it is still good to note that when the first man gave his tithe, it was not to the poor it was to the lord!

‘Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand.” And he gave him a tithe of all.’ (Genesis 14:18-20)

We know Melchizedek is not poor because he brought bread and wine and was classified as a king.

Hebrews 7:1-17 gives us the new testament implication of this transaction that Melchizedek was a type of the real lord to come, the real High Priest, Jesus. And so whatsoever Abraham gave was to the lord. In verse 8 of this book the bible states that though mortal men, priests, may receive the tithes on behalf of God, but ultimately the tithe is received by God!

Leviticus 27:30, ‘And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord.’

I can give to the poor, but majorly our tithes are to the lord.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE: http://www.powertalk.com.ng/2017/10/12/to-the-poor-or-to-the-lord/
Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by Nobody: 12:21am On Oct 25, 2017
powertalk:
TO THE POOR OR TO THE LORD?

Who should I give my tithe to, to the poor or to the lord? This is one of the major talking points with the recent new wave of teachings on tithing.  And I am trying to find which scripture exactly supports that. I know of the scripture in Nehemiah 10:37-38 which says, to give a tenth of the tithes to the church.

Here it is implied that a tenth of the tithes should be brought to the lord so that the house of the lord will not be neglected, but what I haven’t found so far is where the remaining 90% should be administered to the poor. However, I love that scripture that says whatever you give to the poor you lend to the lord!

‘He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, And He will pay back what he has given.’ (proverbs 19:17)

Now lending to the lord is good business, because whatever you learn is paid back in multiple folds. Every seed returns in a multiplied form and not in its original form. There is another scripture in Proverbs 14:31 that equates oppressing the poor as the same as reproaching the lord.

‘He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, but he who honours Him has mercy on the needy.’ (Proverbs 14:31)

Having said that it is still good to note that when the first man gave his tithe, it was not to the poor it was to the lord!

‘Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand.” And he gave him a tithe of all.’ (Genesis 14:18-20)

We know Melchizedek is not poor because he brought bread and wine and was classified as a king.

Hebrews 7:1-17 gives us the new testament implication of this transaction that Melchizedek was a type of the real lord to come, the real High Priest, Jesus. And so whatsoever Abraham gave was to the lord. In verse 8 of this book the bible states that though mortal men, priests, may receive the tithes on behalf of God, but ultimately the tithe is received by God!

Leviticus 27:30, ‘And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord.’

I can give to the poor, but majorly our tithes are to the lord.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE: http://www.powertalk.com.ng/2017/10/12/to-the-poor-or-to-the-lord/
May God richly bless you for this. Many are against tithing because of the way many preachers misuse it but they forget they're giving to God and not man. Giving to the poor is equally good because the summary of the Bible says Love the lord your God with all your heart and soul and then love your neighbour as yourself. If you love the lord you would keep his commandments without arguing. If you love your neighbour you would assist him in time of need if it's at your capacity to do so

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by powertalk: 12:54pm On Oct 26, 2017
TO TITHE OR NOT TO(6)?
ITS A PERSONAL WALK

In Habakkuk 2:4 we have this powerful scripture that reads thus,‘But the just shall live by his faith’. It’s simple and straightforward but its message powerful: the faith walk is a personal walk with God. The level of our faith determines the quality of our relationship with God. It’s the reason why we may carry the same bible and hear the same word but still produces different results. It’s the reason why Hebrews 11 only had few bible characters mentioned amidst thousands of characters in the scriptures. Our spiritual productivity is relative to our walk with God. It was said of Enoch that ‘he walked with the lord and was not’. His walk with God was on another level and so was his result – he didn’t see death, even though it was appointed unto man to die once, yet Enoch defied that law, he didn’t die!

The Faith walk is a personal walk. How you walk with God determines where you are placed in his kingdom. Make no mistake about this, this is a kingdom of levels so we are not all on the same pedestal, ratings, experience and reward with God!

Everyone mentioned in the books of Hebrews 11 secured their place in that great assemblage of great men and women all because of their faith and their faith came due to their revelation of the word. For faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word Of God (Romans 10:17)

What you hear determines what you do, it determines how you behave. Abraham heard in Genesis 12 to go out and he did and because of that obedience became the father of faith!

What you hear from God is what distinguishes you from your peers!

Our fathers of the faith had a revelation of the prosperity gospel that gave birth to the giving pattern that we see in the church today. Like Abraham did they had a revelation of giving the tithes, of giving to the church of Jesus, to men higher than them in the faith, of giving to the poor and the less privilege. They pursue these multi-faceted giving as contain in the terms of the covenant and the results are there to show today.

From men driving rickety cars to men flying in jets (whatever your grouse is with that). From men who are ordinary university lecturer, ordinary doctors, teachers, to men who influences nation! And not only are they great but equally the gospel they preach, the gospel of tithing and giving, of which many are debating today has been responsible for liberating the church from the pangs of poverty, setting up millions in affluence and wealth. Or why do you think despite all your shouts and criticisms of the jet flying pastors their congregations still adore them and follow them? Oh, you think they are brain washed? Far from it, it’s not because they are brain washed it’s because their lives have been transformed!

Read full article here:
http://www.powertalk.com.ng/2017/10/13/its-a-personal-walk/
Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by sukkot: 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2017
tithing is a universal concept. its called paying tributaries and all conquered empires or peoples must pay tributary to the conqueror. as such all the congregations are the conquered and the pastor is the conqueror so you must pay tributary to the leader. did JESUS pay tithes / tributaries ? yes. when he said ' render unto caesar what is to caesar ' that was him paying tributary / tithes / taxes ( they all mean the same thing ) to the empire that was in charge aka the roman empire. also when he said take the money out of the mouth of the fish that is hooked out of the water and give it to them. that was symbolic of paying tributary / tithes / taxes. all african nations pay tributaries to european nations because we are conquered and they are the conqueror. so these are universal concepts and laws. the oppressed must pay tithes to the oppressor because for you to be in the position of the oppressed means you are paying for some sins and part of that payment is monetary to the person put above you.

BARUCH 3 VS 8 “Behold, we are yet this day in our captivity, where thou hast scattered us, for a reproach and a curse, and to be subject to payments,

now if you break down that word TITHE etymologically, it means to be under subjugation under someone
Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 2:43pm On Oct 26, 2017
asuustrike2009:
May God richly bless you for this
Many are against tithing because of the way many preachers misuse it but they forget they're giving to God and not man
Tell, except being an Israelite where God asks to give Him tithes

asuustrike2009:
Giving to the poor is equally good because the summary of the Bible says Love the lord your God with all your heart and soul and then love your neighbour as yourself
If you love the lord you would keep his commandments without arguing.
If you love your neighbour you would assist him in time of need if it's at your capacity to do so
I guess, you keep ALL His "commandments"

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 26, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Tell, except being an Israelite where God asks to give Him tithes

I guess, you keep ALL His "commandments"

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

From Genesis to Revelation, the scriptures are meant for Christians it's not for decoration
Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by GoodMuyis(m): 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2017
Message for children of light

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 4:17pm On Oct 26, 2017
asuustrike2009:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

From Genesis to Revelation, the scriptures are meant for Christians it's not for decoration
Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head
or clip off the edges of your beard

- Leviticus 19:27

Not for decoration indeed.
I bet you keep Leviticus 19:27 too, abi?
I thought my eyes were deceiving me, when I read your pretext

I repeat the question, except being an Israelite, tell where God asks you or others to give Him tithes?

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by GodsMopol: 4:27pm On Oct 26, 2017
Nice thread, many consider a tenth burdensome

That's all

God love and He gave John 3:16

That's all, else someone become an athiest
Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 4:37pm On Oct 26, 2017
GodsMopol:
Nice thread, many consider a tenth burdensome

That's all

God love and He gave John 3:16

That's all, else someone become an athiest
SMH Some are so silly scared of facing the truth, they've become no better than a Pharisee and so effectively turned into a far-to-see.
They resort to putting unnecessary burdens on others
and if they aren't imposing tithes, they are insisting on speaking in unintelligible languages also or otherwise called speaking in tongues

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by powertalk: 12:38pm On Oct 30, 2017
TO TITHE OR NOT TO(7)

Really, I don’t believe in the tithes! I believe in something much more higher and better, because we live under the dispensation of grace and of a better covenant where we have been given better promises! The tithe came before the law, though it was eventually regulated under the law, still it was an act born out of faith and gratitude to God. It came through Abraham by faith who was the father of the old covenant. Here under this covenant Abraham gave tenth of all.

However, Jesus is the mediator of the new covenant (Hebrews 12:25) which has better promises and when he was to give he gave all of his! He gave all to the father by the death on the cross and set the benchmark for what our giving should be – all!

When Jesus sat over the offering basket and was observing what people were giving, he hinted the disciples on whom he thought had given the most. The criteria were not on how much you have given, it was on how much you have given relative to that which you have left, that which you didn’t give! And when Jesus did his findings, he said the widow gave more because while all the others gave some out of what they have this woman gave all that she has! Wow! Now that is new testament giving – giving all!

And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury:  and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living. (Mark 12:41-44) 

The widow was rated higher because he gave all. Seems to me then that what impress God is not what we give, but what we give relative to what we have left. The others probably gave tithes, 10%, but this woman gave 100%, and the master was moved!

The old covenant is about the tenth, the new covenant is about the all!

The old covenant is the covenant of the tenth while the new covenant is the covenant of the all! Our benchmark is not 10% but 100%! If 100% is the benchmark why is the 10% worrying you? The 10% is the entrant level into this kingdom if you really love the lord and you are grateful for his provisions – 10% is for kindergarten Christianity 101!

Read the full article here: http://www.powertalk.com.ng/2017/10/18/my-scriptural-believe-of-new-testament-giving/
Re: Did Jesus Tithe? by powertalk: 4:18pm On Nov 06, 2017
TO TITHE OR NOT TO?(9)
OF BALANCE TEACHINGS AND EXTREMITIES

I Love the Church of Jesus, it is the most beautiful institution he has given to humanity. He was the one who first use the word ‘CHURCH’. In Matthew 16:16-19, he said there, ‘I will build my church and the gates of hell cannot prevail against it’. The present church, in whatever form it is today, is still been built by Jesus and the gate of hell shall not prevail against it. Now follow my thoughts, when the prosperity gospel started, it was all about giving to the extreme and then God raised wise teachers who provided balance opening our eyes to the importance of creativity, hard work, entrepreneurship, saving and investment. And from there on the church was put on a good stead to dominate the economy of the land.

Indeed, this is the pattern that God has used over the ages to advance the church. He brings apostles, extremists to kick start the move of God, that is especially sometimes after the church has been in one spiritual lethargy or the other. There after this he will send teachers who will bring balance to what the Apostles have espoused and preached vigorously about at the beginning.

Quoting from Donald Gee in his articles for the voice of Healing titled, ‘EXTREMES ARE SOMETIMES NECESSARY’, he said the following.

‘There has to be an extremism to move things…Miracles of Healings occur when faith refuses to be logical, and blinds itself to arguments, based on plenty of contrary experience and more balanced teaching…we need extremism for a miracle of healing, but we need balanced sanity for health. We need extreme fervour to launch a movement, but we need the repudiation of extremes to save it from self-destruction. Only a wisdom from above can reveal the perfect synthesis. It takes Pentecostal genius to know when and where an extreme doctrine or practise must be modified to a more balanced view, and where, on the other hand, the broad lines of truth must be temporarily narrowed into an extreme emphasis upon one point to ensure a dynamic powerful truth enough to move things for God’

This has been the pattern with which Jesus has moved his church over the years. We have had the move of the Spirit, and then we have the move of the word. There was a time it was all about prayer and prayer. And then the movement of the word came, it’s all about the word and the word and the word and that gave birth to the present wave of bible believing and charismatic churches. But there is another move in the offing that will combine both, the move of the word and prayer, both finding the right balance and that is just about starting. The glorious days of the church of Jesus Christ are still ahead.

Read on to full article here:
http://www.powertalk.com.ng/2017/10/25/of-balance-teachings-and-extremities

©powertalk
www.powertalk.com.ng
Facebook:powertalkplus
Instagram:powertalk_official
*Could this bless someone you know? Please share with them today*

(1) (Reply)

Seeds Of Destiny Devotion By Pastor Paul Enenche: Topic - The Armour Called Word / This Is Highly Important, Please Read. / Hard Talk. Should A Muslim Man Marry A Christian Woman And Vice-versa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.