Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,222 members, 7,907,332 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 08:26 AM

Nigerian Youths To March On National Assembly Tomorrow - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Youths To March On National Assembly Tomorrow (556 Views)

Senator Ita Enang, New SSA To President On National Assembly Matters / Gov Okorocha To Inaugurate Imo State House Of Assembly Tomorrow / Elections Shifted To March 28, April 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Youths To March On National Assembly Tomorrow by ichommy(m): 4:34pm On Mar 16, 2010
A youth rally, under the name ENOUGH-IS-ENOUGH Nigeria, will take place in Abuja tomorrow in response to recent developments in the country. “ENOUGH-IS-ENOUGH [is] a coalition of individuals, organisations, and collectives, intended to be the most ambitious of youth initiatives aiming to effect peaceful transformation in Nigeria,” said Tolu Ogunlesi, winner of the CNN Journalist of the Year awards last year. “ENOUGHISENOUGH is a double-edged sword; it is a message both to us (that it is time to leave the comfort of our computer and mobile phone keyboards, and seek to exert authority in the real world) and to the powers-that-be (that enough is enough of taking Nigeria and Nigerians for granted).”

The rally will have young professionals, celebrities, activists, students and others. The protesters will gather at the Eagle Square at 11am and march to the National Assembly, accompanied by a massive pool of national, international and youth media.

One of the prominent youth leading this is the Nollywood star, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, whose youth empowerment project, OYEP, is also a part of this protest. “We've had cases of people who die as a result of generator fumes,” Jalade-Ekeinde said. “We cannot continue to sit on the fence and allow just a few people in government eat up our future.”

According to another member of the coalition, Toyosi Akerele, team leader of Rise Networks, which held nationwide seminars with almost 50, 000 youths last year: “Silence is not golden, we have to speak up! Our children will live in worse situations than we are in now if we don't do something. It is a crisis of values for me to take up a job I cannot handle, despite that, the rallies we are doing are not an anti-Yar'Adua campaign but an anti system campaign.”

“Look at what is happening in Jos, it is a failure of leadership – and we are angry,” said Chude Jideonwo, who is Creative Director of the popular The Future Awards/The Future Project. “The drama surrounding President Umaru Yar’Adua’s health has effectively derailed the country.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news/5516-nigerians-youths-to-marchon-national-assembly-tomorrow.html
Re: Nigerian Youths To March On National Assembly Tomorrow by ReachRich(m): 5:04pm On Mar 16, 2010
I support this rally.Had it been i were to be in Abj,i would have been at the forefront of the rally tommorrow.This is the only language our leaders understand.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Re: Nigerian Youths To March On National Assembly Tomorrow by Goldmind1(m): 5:31pm On Mar 16, 2010
When is the Lagos edition coming up? I'ld like to join.
Re: Nigerian Youths To March On National Assembly Tomorrow by Fhemmmy: 6:08pm On Mar 16, 2010
May the Lord Bless them all.
May the Lord Protect them all
May the peace of the Lord go with them.

We will take Nija back

(1) (Reply)

Court Bars Lagos Lawmakers From Investigating Fashola / Best Way To Advertise Your Properties / Whats The Deal With This Arewa Federation People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.