Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,622 members, 7,951,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 06:47 PM

Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon (976 Views)

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War / Buhari Receives Gowon At The State House (Pictures) / Restructuring Nigeria Is Not Buhari's Priority - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by AbrahamIsrael: 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2017
Ex-Head of state, General Yakubu Gowon has said that restructuring Nigeria is impossible.
General Gowon said Nigeria’s restructuring is impossible because the country is made up of over 5000 ethnic groups with ethnic dialects and languages which would not allow each group to yield to another in terms of concession of certain benefits.
The Former Head of State gave the statement while speaking at Minna, Niger State.
According to him, there would be various definitions of what restructuring is by the various ethnic groups and that this would make it impossible for the groups to come to general conclusion as to what it really should be.
General Gowon who urged for a united Nigeria however doubted the buoyancy in finance by state governments to fend for themselves if the country is to be restructured to regional bases as being pushed by some.
According to him, “Nigeria is made up of over 500 ethnic groups, languages and dialects and so many various groups called nationalities and they want restructuring.
“This restructuring everybody is asking for, we will have about 500 different ideas of restructuring. There is call for restructuring to reduce the number of states to only a few either back to the old region or to the zones.”

“Those are some of the ideas that I do not know whether it will be possible for any state today to wish to be merged with another state. Let us see whether our politicians will see guidelines to be able to achieve what they want.

“But I have my problem whether the states will be financially capable so they will be able to run there states properly.”
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by SweetWJ(m): 9:22pm On Oct 27, 2017
Old man has spoken. So we should continue in the mess this country has brought

1 Like

Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by osscarr(m): 10:06pm On Oct 27, 2017
Can u see what this old fool has to say? Well, I don't blame u; ur brain has been soaked with palm oil. Nigerian youths run away from this people; they have nothing atstake anymore.

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by Paulosky1900: 10:48pm On Oct 27, 2017
ssssshhhhh....go and patch ur brain its leaking

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by bluke(m): 2:07am On Oct 28, 2017
[quote author=AbrahamIsrael post=61833381]Ex-Head of state, General Yakubu Gowon has said that restructuring Nigeria is impossible.
General Gowon said Nigeria’s restructuring is impossible because the country is made up of over 5000 ethnic groups with ethnic dialects and languages which would not allow each group to yield to another in terms of concession of certain benefits.
The Former Head of State gave the statement while speaking at Minna, Niger State.
According to him, there would be various definitions of what restructuring is by the various ethnic groups and that this would make it impossible for the groups to come to general conclusion as to what it really should be.
General Gowon who urged for a united Nigeria however doubted the buoyancy in finance by state governments to fend for themselves if the country is to be restructured to regional bases as being pushed by some.
According to him, “Nigeria is made up of over 500 ethnic groups, languages and dialects and so many various groups called nationalities and they want restructuring.
“This restructuring everybody is asking for, we will have about 500 different ideas of restructuring. There is call for restructuring to reduce the number of states to only a few either back to the old region or to the zones.”

“Those are some of the ideas that I do not know whether it will be possible for any state today to wish to be merged with another state. Let us see whether our politicians will see guidelines to be able to achieve what they want.

“But I have my problem whether the states will be financially capable so they will be able to run there states properly.”[/quote

THE PRESENT SYSTEM WAS YOUR DECISION FROM DAY ONE IN office.
"the white man said we shouldnt do it" (parliamentary system)
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by philanthropist1(m): 6:39am On Oct 28, 2017
So therefore, let us divide the ZOO
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by Kyase(m): 7:13am On Oct 28, 2017
Gowon have said it all. The people above though, come restructure the country make we see, bounch of Knuckleheads
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by rozayx5(m): 7:15am On Oct 28, 2017
Gowon been smoking serious weed of recent

His generation are the problem of this country

undecided
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:50am On Oct 28, 2017
rozayx5:
Gowon been smoking serious weed of recent

His generation are the problem of this country

undecided
what is your generation doing about it .
Is it not a shame that great grand fathers are making your decisions and you can only complain
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:07am On Oct 28, 2017
As far as am concerned, Restructuring is just a word used by idle youths and useless politicians to pass time.
No body is shouting true federalism anymore.
Dont look for how to restructure your life , stay and be waiting for Federal Government .
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by mars123(m): 11:37am On Oct 28, 2017
Proudlyngwa:
As far as am concerned, Restructuring is just a word used by idle youths and useless politicians to pass time.
No body is shouting true federalism anymore.
Dont look for how to restructure your life , stay and be waiting for Federal Government .
clearly, your life needs restructuring.
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by nku5: 11:44am On Oct 28, 2017
Gowon is a failed worthless leader and the architect of the chaos we call nigeria today. Such cheap lies. Were there not 500 tribes when the country was made up regions?

Gowon is the one who abolished our regions and created the aberration we call states today. Gowon usurped his superior Brig. Ogundipe and turned nigeria into an anyhow place when he became head of state in 1966. gowon oversaw the birth of corruption on the industrial scale it is on today. He turned eastern region oil money into an atm for the generals like him and danjuma, obasanjo etc

"Nigeria's problem is not money but how to spend it" - Yakubu Gowon

Gowon should just keep quiet and think of how to save his state from being overrun by fulani herdsmen. Truth is Gowon is the reason nigeria is a mess today.
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by Amarabae(f): 11:47am On Oct 28, 2017
No wonder I don't take his Nigeria prays stuff serious,
Look at how he is messing himself up.
Re: Restructuring Nigeria Impossible, Says Gowon by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:51am On Oct 28, 2017
mars123:
clearly, your life needs restructuring.

Every ones life needs restructuring positively .
Everyday I restructure my life to get better , I am no where near good not to talk of perfect , but I realise I have flaws and that is the first step to getting better .

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Billionaire Tenant / IGP, Ibrahim Idris Implicated In Abuja Land Grab Scandal, In Defiance Of Court O / BREAKING: Charly Boy Group Vows To Occupy Libyan Embassy Over Slave Auctioning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.