Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,188 members, 7,880,706 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:29 AM

Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess (7707 Views)

Elon Musk Offers To Buy Twitter For $43 Bn / Mtn In Beast Mode / How To Get 500mb Data Free On MTN In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by marryjesus: 4:32am On Nov 01, 2017
Few months after Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) slammed a N1.04 trillion fine on Mobile Telecommunications Company of Nigeria (MTN) for failing to deactivate some 5.1 million subscribers, the firm has landed into yet another $4.2 billion trouble over its licence bid in Iran.

This time a telecommunications firm, Turkcell, had sued the company over a disputed Iranian mobile phone licence.

Turkcell first sued MTN in a U.S. court in 2012, alleging the company used bribery and wrongful influence to win a lucrative Iranian licence that was originally awarded to it.

But it had to drop the suit in 2013 after the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in a separate case made it clear that U.S. courts would not have jurisdiction in a claim involving two foreign firms in an overseas dispute.

However, in 2016, Turkcell filed another case in South Africa, where the case has been stuck in procedural wrangling since.

But MTN had claimed in a defence that Turkcell’s claim is opportunistic, an abuse of the process of court, baseless and without merit.

Recall that MTN obtained the licence in Iran in 2005 and maintains that Turkcell missed out because it did not comply with an Iranian rule that caps the shareholding in the licence at 49 per cent.

Iran is MTN’s third largest market out of the 22 countries the company operates in.

MTN previously appointed a retired British judge to lead an external investigation into Turkcell’s allegations. That probe dismissed the accusations as “a fabric of lies, distortions and inventions. Turkcell was not immediately available to comment.

In Nigeria, the failure of MTN which controls 43 per cent of the country’s telecommunications market, to fully deactivate subscribers with unregistered and incomplete Subscriber Identification Modules (SIM) cards details within the stipulated time earned the South African firm a fine of N1.04 trillion.

NCC officials feel belittled and disrespected after MTN sent low ranking officials to a meeting which was attended by high ranking NCC officials, members of the SSS and officials from the office of the National Security Adviser.

As if that wasn’t enough NCC said their enforcement and monitoring officials were denied access at the MTN office to their switches for inspection.

The N1.04 trillion fine is said to be as regards the timing of the disconnection of 5.1 million MTN Nigeria subscribers who were disconnected in August and September 2015 and is based on a fine of N200, 000 for each unregistered subscriber.

However, the matter was later resolved with the telecommunications firm agreeing to stagger the payment. ENDS

http://www.akelicious.com/2017/11/mtn-in-another-42-bn-mess.html

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Amberon11: 6:19am On Nov 01, 2017
Double wahala for dead body.
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 01, 2017
message from mtn official::___-------

'' be expecting 1.3gb for #2500, be in effect from 7th nov,due to usual CHANGE effects, thank for usual cooperation.''
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by WeirdWolf: 6:50am On Nov 01, 2017
Fvck Mtn.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by tstx(m): 6:51am On Nov 01, 2017
Wicked network
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by YINKS89(m): 6:56am On Nov 01, 2017
Mtn again
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Gepheral: 6:57am On Nov 01, 2017
Wahala
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by budosky(m): 6:59am On Nov 01, 2017
Good one!

I always say it, MTN is a scam. They are after our money while providing unaffordable services at extremely outrageous prices. The funniest thing is, MTN will rather sponsor Music and musicians that add no value to human and community development than to spend millions on education which is the base of all forms of human development. Imagine, given out 250k scholarships while promoting useless musicians with hundreds of millions.

Don't quote me if you have a dead brain!

12 Likes

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Settingz321(m): 7:01am On Nov 01, 2017
now they might start charging us for receiving calls from other network

2 Likes

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 7:12am On Nov 01, 2017
Abeg collect them those money..
Dem terminate their project fame and their who wants to be a millionaire... Come increase the price of their card.... Those thieves need to pay for stealing us blind
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Lomprico2: 7:14am On Nov 01, 2017
Na true sef, how far with that 50 billion naira whey mtn suppose pay us?
Abi buhari don collect cut and free d rest for them?
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Delegate(m): 7:14am On Nov 01, 2017
Mtn is in 22 countries not 100 not even 50 and there slogan says Everywhere you go
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by omoadeleye(m): 7:33am On Nov 01, 2017
They must pay this time or gtfo of our country
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by eMDeeLinks: 7:34am On Nov 01, 2017
1gb for N600

Free calls

Free text
I still give it to MTN
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Adelawysb: 7:35am On Nov 01, 2017
MTN should kuku go away

1 Like

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by hanassholesolo: 7:36am On Nov 01, 2017
marryjesus:

Turkcell first sued MTN in a U.S. court in 2012, alleging the company used bribery and wrongful influence to win a lucrative Iranian licence that was originally awarded to it.

But had to drop the suit in 2013 after the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in a separate case made it clear that U.S. courts would not have jurisdiction in a claim involving two foreign firms in an overseas dispute.

However in 2016, Turkcell filed another case in South Africa, where the case has been stuck in procedural wrangling since.

The difference between US court and African Court.
MTN probably bribed everyone in that SA court.
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by bareal(m): 8:17am On Nov 01, 2017
budosky:
Good one!

The funniest thing is, MTN will rather sponsor Music and musicians that add no value to human and community development than to spend millions on education which is the base of all forms of human development. Imagine, given out 250k scholarships while promoting useless musicians with hundreds of millions.

What would you say about Glo? They are the worst in this regard. I think MTN deserve what they got.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by sunkieisland(m): 8:34am On Nov 01, 2017
budosky:
Good one!

I always say it, MTN is a scam. They are after our money while providing unaffordable services at extremely outrageous prices. The funniest thing is, MTN will rather sponsor Music and musicians that add no value to human and community development than to spend millions on education which is the base of all forms of human development. Imagine, given out 250k scholarships while promoting useless musicians with hundreds of millions.

The last part of your post got me laughing hard

BTW

Why do you think MTN will give scholarships above sponsoring musicians....

They know that if they give you scholarships to the best schools in the world, the creative Nigerian spirit can come back in the future to be their strong competitor.

#JustEliminatingtheCompetition

So, if and when they give scholarships, it will still be the "kobo kobo " scholarship

2 Likes

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 01, 2017
i bought mtn card of #50 yesterday so that i can use it to do night browsing, before loading the card at all, i have called the customer care to help me deactivate any active subscription. i was told that there is no active subscription. to confirm it, i dialed *447# which confirmed it to me that i don't have any. i recharged my line successfully. at about 11pm when i woke up to ease myself before browsing, i decided to check my phone, what i saw was "your subscription to mtn caller tune was successful and #50 has been deducted". very painful. the most excruciating part of it was i didn't subscribe to anything, i had earlier confirmed that ever before i recharge at all.

MTN network sucks

1 Like

Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Codes151(m): 9:25am On Nov 01, 2017
They will pay... for nigeria they don’t have to bother these dullards can be bribed
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by ivolt: 10:15am On Nov 01, 2017
budosky:
Good one!

I always say it, MTN is a scam. [b]They are after our money
while providing unaffordable services at extremely outrageous prices. The funniest thing is, MTN will rather sponsor Music and musicians that add no value to human and community development than to spend millions on education which is the base of all forms of human development. Imagine, given out 250k scholarships while promoting useless musicians with hundreds of millions.

Entitlement and victim mentality.
Companies are not founded to look after your personal
interest, they exist to make profit!.
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 01, 2017
budosky:
Good one!

Mtn has being investing in education through scholarship and the building of health centres in some localities in Nigeria. They have really tried in respect to their social responsibility whereas the government has failed woefully
Re: Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess by Forzap: 2:57pm On Nov 01, 2017
budosky:
Good one!

at least they are giving out something, what about Glo and other networks what are they doing ? who promotes musicians more between mtn and glo? say something else abeg

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Hide Apps On My Tecno Camon CX? / Help! Can't Transfer Credit On Glo / Please Help Me Plsss, Can I Do Online Tranfer With *894# With An Expired Atm?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.