Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,528 members, 7,881,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:19 AM

Visiting Us As A Grandmom. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visiting Us As A Grandmom. (1335 Views)

How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / Urgent ! Visiting Canada For A Conference / What Is The Best Way To Get US Visiting Visa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by ucheawesom: 3:38am On Mar 18, 2010
Hello all,
I have been thinking of getting my mum to visit me here in US to help me take care of my kid.
Pls can someone tell me how to go abt it ?
where and how can can i get the relevant information?
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 5:18am On Mar 18, 2010
Hello,

I fink she needs to appl for visit visa
u can check d embassy site for more
info about this

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by Pittbaby(f): 4:38pm On Mar 18, 2010
yep visiting visa ,  you must prove strong ties to naija. being that you will be her financial sponsor while she is here , the biggest hurdle will be proving no immigrant intent

this may help:
Properties in her name or husbands name
Living Husband , especially if he has a business or is still gainfully employed
A good bank balance
a business that she runs
Other kids in Nigeria

Please ask her to clearly state that she is visiting her grandkids and daughter only for a specific period of time ( no more than a month please , or even two weeks ) . Please no mention of taking care of the kids.  the consular officers are well aware of the fact that we use our parents as live- in nannies and they often overstay their visas. every statement she makes should reinforce the fact that she is visiting and intends to return to her homebase

cheers
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 6:41pm On Mar 18, 2010
Pittybaby has spoken well

And kindly note that u must schedule appointment for her
as soon as possible. Cos i fink dats part of d probs u
will encounter as usa embassy hardly open slots
for dat category.

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by ucheawesom: 6:52pm On Mar 18, 2010
thanks pittbaby.
Fact is she doesnt really meet up wt all those criteria.
Husband is late,no big bank balance,though she has a biz.

she has kids 4 kids that are doing good in nigeria and has really advanced in age.
My plan is just for her to help me with my new baby,the cultural two/three months thing wt the new born and go bak.i have no intention of her using her as a live nanny or make her overstay.

Any more suggestions?
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by ucheawesom: 6:55pm On Mar 18, 2010
[quote author=

And kindly note that u must schedule appointment for her
as soon as possible. Cos i fink dats part of d probs u
will encounter as usa embassy hardly open slots
for dat category.

SHALOM
[quote][/quote]

na wao.Seems the thing is gonna be a herculean task.How den is that i see so many grannys all over the place.
God help
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by Pittbaby(f): 9:18pm On Mar 18, 2010
some have been sponsored by their US citizen childern (I.e they have a green card) or they have established a pattern of leaving and coming over time. All said and done you granny is more likely to get a visa , than a 19-30 yr single person .

The major reasons I have heard for denial with older generation is

1. All children live abroad---no reason for the individual to return home
2. The individual interviews badly , i.e saying I am going to stay with my children ( visit is the operative word)
. 3. No proof of substantial ties to Nigeria ( husband , business , source of income)
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by Pittbaby(f): 9:26pm On Mar 18, 2010
thanks pittbaby.
Fact is she doesnt really meet up wt all those criteria.
Husband is late,no big bank balance,though she has a biz.

she has kids 4 kids that are doing good in nigeria and has really advanced in age.
My plan is just for her to help me with my new baby,the cultural two/three months thing wt the new born and go bak.i have no intention of her using her as a live nanny or make her overstay.

Any more suggestions?

ummm, the most i can say is have your siblings in Naija strategise a way to show that she is comfortable there and will not abandon her abode . No mention of the three months thing . It should simply be I have a child that is having a baby I want to visit . The embassy grants two year visas as a standard. It is at the port of entry ( airport in the states ) that her allowed period of stay is determined and stamped in are I-94 . As long as she does not state a period over six months at that point she is fine. ( i am not advising she stays for six months o , if she does then it will be another six months before she can come in again)

Does she have any properties in her name that may help?
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 10:29am On Mar 19, 2010
Uche,

since u av gotten enuf advise on wat
she says durin interview, i dnt fink u
need elongate issues again.

As i am particular about the appointmnt
slot else she will be given appointment when
ur child is 4 months old. LOL

So try as much as possible to
help her book the appointment now
and if d docus r not ready now, den u
can change d appointment date

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by Pittbaby(f): 2:51pm On Mar 19, 2010
Uche,

since u av gotten enuf advise on wat
she says durin interview, i dnt fink u
need elongate issues again.

As i am particular about the appointmnt
slot else she will be given appointment when
your child is 4 months old. LOL

So try as much as possible to
help her book the appointment now
and if d docus r not ready now, den u
can change d appointment date

SHALOM

Just checked earliest available date is May 11th. I hear that the booking system is not as bad now since the underpants bomber . (I can not validate this statement , totally hearsay)
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
Pittbaby:

Just checked earliest available date is May 11th. I hear that the booking system is not as bad now since the underpants bomber . (I can not validate this statement , totally hearsay)

Alright then

I think May 11 is no that far.

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by AjanleKoko: 6:03pm On Mar 19, 2010
You can sponsor your mom for a visit visa.
She doesn't really need bank balance, property, and all that. What is your own status in the US?
If you're a citizen and settled in the U.S., she only needs evidence that she plans to return to Naija, plus evidence of your status. Those guys don't really look at all those documents, they look and your form and make up their mind. You only have like 2 minutes to convince them anyway.

Is she over 55? It'll be much easier if she was.
May 11 is not so bad, so better grab that date.
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by ogajim(m): 6:13pm On Mar 19, 2010
Old folks normally don't get denied as long as those she is visiting have jobs/business and file taxes on a REGULAR bases. If you want to get her an immigrant visa, it might take longer but she will need to stay in the US for 5 years or come in every year to maintain it.
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 6:51pm On Mar 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

She doesn't really need bank balance, property, and all that. What is your own status in the US?
If you're a citizen and settled in the U.S., she only needs evidence that she plans to return to Naija, plus evidence of your status. Those guys don't really look at all those documents, they look and your form and make up their mind. You only have like 2 minutes to convince them anyway.

May 11 is not so bad, so better grab that date.

Sir, I think she is still alive!

So she needs to convince them she's coming
home is wat pittybaby advised i guess!

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by Pittbaby(f): 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2010

May 11 is not so bad, so better grab that date

if she is a US citizen , she has the recourse to file for a green card for her mum , if she does that her mum will find it quite difficult to get a visiting visa until the process is completed has the visiting visa does not allow immigrant intent . Very stupid system but trust me does of us that are processing our green cards or have in the past know it is a very long thing , unless you are from a visa waiver country you have a long period of seperation from the filer ( unless of course you are a spouse or child to a US citizen which takes a shorter period)

Since the matter at hand is a visiting visa , the status of her child makes no difference as long as he/ she is not illegal. Please she needs to take all she can legally tender ( it is clearly stated on the website strong ties to home country) anything you can do to establish ties is not a waste. If they dont ask at least you know you were prepared.
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 8:01pm On Mar 19, 2010
Pittbaby:

if she is a US citizen , she has the recourse to file for a green card for her mum , if she does that her mum will find it quite difficult to get a visiting visa until the process is completed has the visiting visa does not allow immigrant intent . Very silly system but trust me does of us that are processing our green cards or have in the past know it is a very long thing , unless you are from a visa waiver country you have a long period of seperation from the filer ( unless of course you are a spouse or child to a US citizen which takes a shorter period)

Since the matter at hand is a visiting visa , the status of her child makes no difference as long as he/ she is not illegal. Please she needs to take all she can legally tender ( it is clearly stated on the website strong ties to home country) anything you can do to establish ties is not a waste. If they dont ask at least you know you were prepared.

I really support u sis.

I saw 2 old women who were refused
visa Feb 9 and it's because of dia ties to home
country.

Anoda man and his wife were also refused
when d consular asked wat is the man's work
and said he has retired and his wife is a petty
trader. Instant refusal i tell you!

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by ucheawesom: 9:31pm On Mar 19, 2010
Thanks everybody.
I am taking in all ur advices.
Meanwhile,i have a green card and have been here for a short time.Precisely a year and few months.Mum is in her late 5os
i hope this doesnt jeopardize her chances.

Pls how do i check the available slots for appointment?
I cant chose the may 11 slot cos it might be early.I want her here sometime next year but had to open the thread to know how to go abt the whole thing as well as when to start.
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by Pittbaby(f): 1:53pm On Mar 20, 2010
no your green card does not affect her coming . But i will consult an experienced Immi lawyer before you file for her because , once you do, you want to understand her ability to visit untill it gets done ( under current law years and years)

For the visiting visa

You can not book the appointment for her from here until she has paid the application fee at the closest UBA  branch office see steps to booking an appointment in link below . Some people use booking agents , but I will let others comment on that I have no experience with that system

https://www.usa-vfsglobal-ng.com/steps.aspx
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by suxes2005(m): 2:06pm On Mar 20, 2010
Pittbaby:

no your green card does not affect her coming . But i will consult an experienced Immi lawyer before you file for her because , once you do, you want to understand her ability to visit untill it gets done ( under current law years and years)

For the visiting visa

You can not book the appointment for her from here until she has paid the application fee at the closest UBA  branch office see steps to booking an appointment in link below . Some people use booking agents , but I will let others comment on that I have no experience with that system

https://www.usa-vfsglobal-ng.com/steps.aspx

You've spoken right ma

Anyways, I wont advice d poster to
use booking agent cos d grand mom's
visit is still far ahead. You can just be
doing proper follow up on d available dates
for you to be able to get a good date for
her interview!

SHALOM
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by dancewith: 3:27pm On Mar 21, 2010
Even though US immigration laws does not allow dual intent I have realised that in reality most consular officers uses discretion in applying this rule. If you are already a citizen this may apply but since you are a green card holder, this does not apply to you and you can simplly invite her to visit

send a copy of your green card, your finanacial details and a letter inviting her to stay temporarily. a family picture wont do any harm if she carrys it to the interview.

In most cases they are approved
Re: Visiting Us As A Grandmom. by johnkent(m): 6:48am On Mar 22, 2010
Save ur money and stay away from immigration lawyers. they wont do anything for ya but take ur money.
My mom was refused visit visa twice at the US embassy in Nigeria and she got it the 3rd time. we used exactly the same documents each time as nothing changed. she's a retired school teacher, has 4 kids in nigeria and 5 grand kids but each time, she was denied for not having enough ties to Nigeria. go figure.
anyways, they gave her a 6 months visa and she stayed 2 months and went back.
Will ur mom get the visa the first time, probably not but it wont hurt to try. Just keep trying and always tell ur mom that there is no guarantee that the visa will be issued. never promise anything.
Since u're not an US citizen, u can't petition for a family immigrant visa for her so her only chance is through a visit visa.
Copy of greencard, tax returns, pay stubs, employment letter and documents showing strong ties to home is all she'll need for the interview. goodluck. u can e-mail me on kenmartins2@hotmail.com
I stay in san Jose, CA

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian House New York / 5 Abuja Hotels You Must Know! / 10 Vacation Destinations And Attractions In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.