Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,868 members, 7,889,904 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 12:35 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1346105 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 10:17am On Oct 09, 2019
Hi guys, please whats the best way to get a good deal for car insurance as a first timer?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:13pm On Oct 09, 2019
Mimzyy:
Hi guys, please whats the best way to get a good deal for car insurance as a first timer?

Short Answer: Good deal for 1st timers does not exist! Just pay up and look ahead.

Long answer: Use comparison websites to try and get the best deal. It will still be high laslas but online seems cheaper.

Don’t worry it gets lower as the years pass. Cheers.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2019
Mimzyy:

Make I add mouth to wetin Aunty Mamatukwas talk........

As a 1st timer, do yourself a big favour by buying a small engine displacement vehicle and upgrade it accordingly......

Your post code also helps + vehicle purpose + mileage expected to do, during insurance terms......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by OgbeniOptional(m): 3:30pm On Oct 09, 2019
gratefulme40:

My dear I really can’t advise on this. Personally, public health seems over flooded to me. So many people studying it at masters level from all over the world, whether they’ve all been able to find a job, I don’t know.

There appears to be more job opportunities for social workers.... but bear in mind that social work won’t make you rich but you won’t be hungry either. What I also don’t know is if they admit international students into social work..... I do not know

Good afternoon, How about Special Education?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 3:55pm On Oct 09, 2019
Mimzyy:
As someone who just did first car insurance a few weeks ago, here are my tips:

- You need to spend some time with comparison websites. Go Compare, Compare the Market, uSwitch, Money Supermarket. here's a lot of info about yourself and the car that you'll need to input in each to get a list of different quotes.

- Some of these sites will make you spend a long time putting in details, and then they'll ask you to input your name, address, email, phone number to get the quotes. If you can put in fake details, do so.

- If you have already bought the car, or know the car you want to buy, get as much detail about it. exact car model, Reg No, mileage, Insurance group, security features, etc. The more info you have, and the more accurate the info is...the better your quotes will be.

- Some car insurance companies (like Aviva) don't appear on these comparison sites. You'll have to visit their own sites to get quotes.

- As a first time buyer, just prepare your mind for at least £1000. The quotes you get can vary from £750 to £2500. I got quotes of £2k+ with aviva grin

I got a good deal with Admiral BlackBox car insurance. It required me to attach a small device to my car which they use to monitor my driving. They sent the box within 5 days but you can start driving as soon as you buy the insurance and get the email. The deal cost £880 (if I paid one time) or a total of about £950 (if I paid monthly).

Cheers.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Beautyaddy: 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2019
spacyzuma:

- You need to spend some time with comparison websites. Go Compare, Compare the Market, uSwitch, Money Supermarket. here's a lot of info about yourself and the car that you'll need to input in each to get a list of different quotes.

- Some of these sites will make you spend a long time putting in details, and then they'll ask you to input your name, address, email, phone number to get the quotes. If you can put in fake details, do so.

- If you have already bought the car, or know the car you want to buy, get as much detail about it. exact car model, Reg No, mileage, Insurance group, security features, etc. The more info you have, and the more accurate the info is...the better your quotes will be.

- Some car insurance companies (like Aviva) don't appear on these comparison sites. You'll have to visit their own sites to get quotes.

- As a first time buyer, just prepare your mind for at least £1000. The quotes you get can vary from £750 to £2500. I got quotes of £2k+ with aviva grin

I got a good deal with Admiral BlackBox car insurance. It required me to attach a small device to my car which they use to monitor my driving. They sent the box within 5 days but you can start driving as soon as you buy the insurance and get the email. The deal cost £880 (if I paid one time) or a total of about £950 (if I paid monthly).

Cheers.
hmmm!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 6:07pm On Oct 09, 2019
OgbeniOptional:

Good afternoon, How about Special Education?

Sorry, don’t know about that.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omidan21: 7:33pm On Oct 09, 2019
Hello all. I AM SORRY i am posting this here, it might be the wrong thread but since a lot of us here are resident due to studing, i might be lucky to see an opinion that will help go a long way
Haven't heard of a case like this before . My friend arrived Nigeria from UK 2nd of September and submitted her full application for masters in social work 9th of September priority service paid for that matter.

9th of October is almost here which will make it one mnth since the status has been on 3/6 and she hasnt been notified to come pick up hwr passport at TLS IKeja and no collection mail either. She has called the UK home office five times now and they kept saying decsion has been made since 13th September.So where is her passport. Her school called last week to say she can't meet up again registration is closed etc.

.Now she needs the passport asap so she can return to UK to restrategize.

.she is currently a dependent on her husband tier 4 visa and that expires in November ending..But now that they ve held her passport for so long now how does she even go back to the UK to finalize her home coming with her hubby if it will even eventually lead to that.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 8:25pm On Oct 09, 2019
If UKVI says a decision has been made, has she visited the TLS IKeja application centre?

How does she plan to restrategise with less than 2 months visa left? Note that as a Tier 4 dependant, she can only switch to a Tier 2 visa.

Does her partner intend to extend his Tier 4 or switch visa to another category (e.g Start-up Visa)? If he does, she can always still be dependant and defer admission.

If she's a dependant, it's now up to her partner to s

omidan21:
Hello all. I AM SORRY i am posting this here, it might be the wrong thread but since a lot of us here are resident due to studing, i might be lucky to see an opinion that will help go a long way
Haven't heard of a case like this before . My friend arrived Nigeria from UK 2nd of September and submitted her full application for masters in social work 9th of September priority service paid for that matter.

9th of October is almost here which will make it one mnth since the status has been on 3/6 and she hasnt been notified to come pick up hwr passport at TLS IKeja and no collection mail either. She has called the UK home office five times now and they kept saying decsion has been made since 13th September.So where is her passport. Her school called last week to say she can't meet up again registration is closed etc.

.Now she needs the passport asap so she can return to UK to restrategize.

.she is currently a dependent on her husband tier 4 visa and that expires in November ending..But now that they ve held her passport for so long now how does she even go back to the UK to finalize her home coming with her hubby if it will even eventually lead to that.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omidan21: 11:13pm On Oct 09, 2019
Thanks for ur respomse. She has visited the TLS IKeja several times and today. They keep saying her passport can only be in their centre when it has been returned.

Her husband has already extended his Visa, they are currently on one year extension which expires late November or I think December cause her hubby did a PHD. But he hasn't been able to get a work sponor.so she was gonna apply for her own masters since she has two years experience in UK as a social worker so she can ve a tier 4 visa and then her hubby this time can apply as her deependent, so th ey ve another 2 yrs to plan .And now all this delay.It's soo sad.

Am thinking this passport is at British Embassy here in Lagos ,since that's where the visa wld be stamped. Or do they send passports to UK ?

My worry now is if as at 13th Sept that decision was made if the decison made was that she shld be issued a visa. And now that the school is saying they wld revoke the admission cause of her delay in rsuming. Wld that visa also be revoked.

ote author=Bourne007 post=82992285]If UKVI says a decision has been made, has she visited the TLS IKeja application centre?

How does she plan to restrategise with less than 2 months visa left? Note that as a Tier 4 dependant, she can only switch to a Tier 2 visa.

Does her partner intend to extend his Tier 4 or switch visa to another category (e.g Start-up Visa)? If he does, she can always still be dependant and defer admission.

If she's a dependant, it's now up to her partner to s

[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 6:49am On Oct 10, 2019
spacyzuma:

Cheers.

As someone who regularly canes 100+mph on the M1, such a contraption is anathema to me.

In fact, it's a violation of my fundamental human rights.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dreddboy007: 9:59am On Oct 10, 2019
Hi guys, I got to know this platform is very helpful about UK spousal visa. I read through the previous threads and I have a question.

Some experts on this platform said if you want to apply for UK spousal visa. I need IELTS exam. But right now I have B.sc in mass communication.

1. Can I use that?

2. I saw something about going through UK Naric process if I don’t want to use IELTS.

PLEASE GUYS ENLIGHTEN ME. If there is a way I can use my Bsc and it won’t hinder my application. Or if I should go for IELTS and what grade is expected of me if I do the exam.

Thanks. God bless y’all.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 10:38am On Oct 10, 2019
Well, I think it's down to the husband to plan how to switch to another visa.

if she defers her admission until January, he can buy some time by for example applying for a start-up visa pending she's back.

Sorry can't really advise on the bolded

omidan21:
Thanks for ur respomse. She has visited the TLS IKeja several times and today. They keep saying her passport can only be in their centre when it has been returned.

Her husband has already extended his Visa, they are currently on one year extension which expires late November or I think December cause her hubby did a PHD. But he hasn't been able to get a work sponor.so she was gonna apply for her own masters since she has two years experience in UK as a social worker so she can ve a tier 4 visa and then her hubby this time can apply as her deependent, so th ey ve another 2 yrs to plan .And now all this delay.It's soo sad.

Am thinking t[b]his passport is at British Embassy[/b] here in Lagos ,since that's where the visa wld be stamped. Or do they send passports to UK ?

My worry now is if as at 13th Sept that decision was made if the decison made was that she shld be issued a visa. And now that the school is saying they wld revoke the admission cause of her delay in rsuming. Wld that visa also be revoked.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 10:44am On Oct 10, 2019
nihilistjnr:

As someone who regularly canes 100+mph on the M1, such a contraption is anathema to me.

In fact, it's a violation of my fundamental human rights.

grin grin ikr?

Admiral sends weekly emails grading your driving from that device.
The first week, I only drove to/from work and a few places, and I got the Gold rating (other ratings are silver and bronze).
Then I drove to Manchester and I regularly drove at 80-90mph on the M74, M6, M62...and my rating dropped to Bronze.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:35am On Oct 10, 2019
spacyzuma:

grin grin ikr?

The first week, I only drove to/from work and a few places, and I got the Gold rating (other ratings are silver and bronze).
Then I drove to Manchester and I regularly drove at 80-90mph on the M74, M6, M62...and my rating dropped to Bronze.

It's like having big brother watching you drive. I can never have those small box insurance again.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 12:24pm On Oct 10, 2019
Thanks a lot.

Mamatukwas:

Short Answer: Good deal for 1st timers does not exist! Just pay up and look ahead.

Long answer: Use comparison websites to try and get the best deal. It will still be high laslas but online seems cheaper.

Don’t worry it gets lower as the years pass. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 12:24pm On Oct 10, 2019
Appreciate your input boss. Mean a lot. Thanks.

Lexusgs430:

Make I add mouth to wetin Aunty Mamatukwas talk........

As a 1st timer, do yourself a big favour by buying a small engine displacement vehicle and upgrade it accordingly......

Your post code also helps + vehicle purpose + mileage expected to do, during insurance terms......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 12:27pm On Oct 10, 2019
Insightful piece!!! Thank you very much. Cheapest I got so far is from Admiral too. Fingers crossed.

spacyzuma:

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:34pm On Oct 10, 2019
Mimzyy:
Insightful piece!!! Thank you very much. Cheapest I got so far is from Admiral too. Fingers crossed.

Admiral prices not bad and I used them for years .....but if u have any accident whether it's your fault or no fault the way the premium runs up to the sky is annoying . More annoying when it's a non fault and they want to charge you an arm and a leg

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 6:03pm On Oct 10, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Admiral prices not bad and I used them for years .....but if u have any accident whether it's your fault or no fault the way the premium runs up to the sky is annoying . More annoying when it's a non fault and they want to charge you an arm and a leg

Sprinkles Car with the Blood. shocked
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2019
Mamatukwas:

Sprinkles Car with the Blood. shocked
smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fineyemi(m): 7:37pm On Oct 10, 2019
Is it possible for some1 presently in the UK with a visit visa to migrate to Canada.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2019
fineyemi:
Is it possible for some1 presently in the UK with a visit visa to migrate to Canada.

its becoming very difficult to live in a country without the correct work papers , so its important that if you want to migrate to any country , ensure you have the right work to stay papers .... to go to Canada , you have to ensure you have the right papers and if you do you are good to go , if you dont then its very hard .

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:53pm On Oct 10, 2019
fineyemi:

Like:
You have a standard visitor visa.
You are currently in the UK on that visa.
Then you buy tickets and enter aeroplane, and go to Canada?

Like buying tickets with Ekeson or GUO or Cross Country at Oyingbo and migrating to Accra, Ghana?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2019
LagosismyHome:

smiley

Wow! May God keep us far away from Insurance palaver oh! Pele Jare.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 12:49am On Oct 11, 2019
grin I can imagine. I’ll just be careful grin
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated ma’am.

LagosismyHome:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 12:52am On Oct 11, 2019
Na wah o cheesy cheesy cheesy

spacyzuma:

grin grin ikr?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:47am On Oct 11, 2019
spacyzuma:

Cheers.

Beware of admiral and blackbox....esp if you quote like 2,000 miles per annum and you end up using over 10k/ annum....the premium will be automatically charged and automatically estimated.....so they might still charge you up to 1,000£ over the next 12 months....thats what happened to me, but me i am a doctor and i did about 14k miles after initially getting a cheap quote with2,000miles....so food for thought
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:53am On Oct 11, 2019
fineyemi:

The life of an undocumented is hard and selfish. You put a strain on your future family if u are single...and i really wonder if its worth it. I get circumstances vary and people are sometimes forced down this path. But just don't go in willingly....its very hard and you might put yourself at the mercy of opportunists and unnecessary stress
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fineyemi(m): 1:53am On Oct 11, 2019
Thanks for your prompt response, I understand what u are saying. Will it be possible for canada papers to be processed in the UK since my bro is presently in the UK with a standard visitor visa.
RalphJean:

Like:
You have a standard visitor visa.
You are currently in the UK on that visa.
Then you buy tickets and enter aeroplane, and go to Canada?

Like buying tickets with Ekeson or GUO or Cross Country at Oyingbo and migrating to Accra, Ghana?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fineyemi(m): 1:53am On Oct 11, 2019
DaveChapelle:

The life of an undocumented is hard and selfish. You put a strain on your future family if u are single...and i really wonder if its worth it. I get circumstances vary and people are sometimes forced down this path. But just don't go in willingly....its very hard and you might put yourself at the mercy of opportunists and unnecessary stress
Thanks for your prompt response, I understand what u are saying. Will it be possible for canada papers to be processed in the UK since my bro is presently in the UK with a standard visitor visa
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:55am On Oct 11, 2019
Mimzyy:
grin I can imagine. I’ll just be careful grin
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated ma’am.

My colleague got 1 blackbox that sends him warning text message when he drives a few km above national speedlimit on a single carriageway ie 63km/h on 60km/h....lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: rock86 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.