Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,039 members, 7,919,286 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 06:12 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (493) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1359802 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2020
For startup visa holders (similar to Tier 1), they can work but will have to use their LTD company eg as Temp or contractors

Aprokodaughter:

I am talking about Startup visa not tier 2 or tier 4.

Startup visa you can work while doing setting up your business.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 22, 2020
Bourne007:
For startup visa holders (similar to Tier 1), they can work but will have to use their LTD company eg as Temp or contractors

Okay thanks for the explanation.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2020
Poch:
Ok boss.
Let me clarify what you call misinformation.

When you wanna send down £1k back to Nigeria...and it hits your family's bank account... What is the equivalence of that transaction in Naira? 500-600k.

Is there any mathematical template that would ever define £15k in anyway as being equivalent to N30k?

Again, there is no need for argument.
If you feel I am misinforming people, I am sorry.

Na learn everybody still dey learn... cheesy

Equivalence is all I was talking about.

Chop e-hug, bros/sis wink
Thanks for the maturity, and please accept my apologies if I came across as argumentative or feisty.
Have yourself a merry little Christmas cool
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 2:49pm On Dec 22, 2020
Poch:
Ok boss.
Let me clarify what you call misinformation.

When you wanna send down £1k back to Nigeria...and it hits your family's bank account... What is the equivalence of that transaction in Naira? 500-600k.

Is there any mathematical template that would ever define £15k in anyway as being equivalent to N30k?

Again, there is no need for argument.
If you feel I am misinforming people, I am sorry.

Na learn everybody still dey learn... cheesy

Equivalence is all I was talking about.

For equivalence, specifications are required.
You say "A family of 4" or a "single person" etc.
A single person on 15k p.a. (UK monthly minimum wage is in the range of 1.2k to 1.3k) outside London, Edinburgh et al (let's take Aberdeen) can realistically achieve a take home of 400 quid monthly on a tight budget (room with utilities say 500, transport say 80 - 100, feeding anything up to 200)., and paying basic rate tax on 3k after personal allowance of 12k 5 is deducted.

A single person on Nigeria's monthly minimum wage of 30k pcm outside Lagos, PH and Abuja (let's take Enugu) can realistically achieve almost nothing a month take home (bedsit rent of 10k monthly, transport maybe 4-5k, feeding/utilities about 10k).

That's a better comparison.

* Figures roughly estimated.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 2:50pm On Dec 22, 2020
Chop your own too sir/ma... grin cheesy
Cheers to a healthier season ahead...

icon8:

Chop e-hug, bros/sis wink
Thanks for the maturity, and please accept my apologies if I came across as argumentative or feisty.
Have yourself a merry little Christmas cool
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2020
Bros look my post na...

I explicitly stated that my analogy was loosely defined.
I also explicitly stated that my analogy was void of any economic indices...

Should I quote my previous comments...so you see?

Abeg take am easy...na celebration period we suppose dey o... This COVID-19 sef...see what you have caused!

TheGuyFromHR:

A single person on 15k p.a. (UK monthly minimum wage is in the range of 1.2k to 1.3k) outside London, Edinburgh et al (let's take Aberdeen) can realistically achieve a take home of 400 quid monthly on a tight budget (room with utilities say 500, transport say 80 - 100, feeding anything up to 200)., and paying basic rate tax on 3k after personal allowance of 12k 5 is deducted.

A single person on Nigeria's monthly minimum wage of 30k pcm outside Lagos, PH and Abuja (let's take Enugu) can realistically achieve almost nothing a month take home (bedsit rent of 10k monthly, transport maybe 4-5k, feeding/utilities about 10k).

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2020
Poch:
Bros look my post na...

I explicitly stated that my analogy was loosely defined.
I also explicitly stated that my analogy was void of any economic indices...

Should I quote my previous comments...so you see?

Abeg take am easy...na celebration period we suppose dey o... This COVID-19 sef...see what you have caused!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 2:57pm On Dec 22, 2020
Oya you win my almighty HR... Na so una always dey do o... HR people.
Abeg chop knuckle...

One corona drink for you...give me time and location...hope say you dey same tier 4 like me..

TheGuyFromHR:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 22, 2020
Bourne007:
You will be surprised how many new 'hidden' rules you will discover. On the gov website, you will only see just the basics until you dig deeper by reading the immigration rules document.

True talk, haven't had time to visit the site since I arrived. Thanks for the information.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:00pm On Dec 22, 2020
chrisj2:
It goes to show how good Royal are because you have not experienced many losses. Many items in their millions arrive at the recipient daily so we are talking about a small percentage here.

No need to get cross, rules are rules - there is a limit on compensation - try and find out for yourself.

Royal Mail Signed For can only be tracked at the start and the end - that is a simple 100% fact! I repeat, it is a fact!

Special Delivery and Tracked 24 and Tracked 48 are the guy trackable items - go find out!

Only Special Delivery Items are scanned at every point including mail centred and delivery offices. Yes, your postman should scan everything including Signed For and even ordinary items with 2D QRs but that does not always happen. But bevt customers have received their items, everyone is happy except the small percentage.

Now if you are talking about something sent recently then the quality of service will be lower because of unprecedented volumes and use of many temporary and agency staff. It might have been stolen or lost along the way - it happens!

If your item is not special delivery, it might be at the bottom of that huge pile.

Good luck with your law suit!

Bros all these you are saying is not my business, i sent an item, paid and i want it delivered. If my item is lost i want the value of the item paid and NOT Royal mail value. I will get that money including the cost of court case no matter how long it takes.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 3:05pm On Dec 22, 2020
This is another of such situations where you are both right!

You are speaking from a point of conviction, equity and fairness...
The other guy is speaking from a point of policy and data available to him.

You both have the right to both point of view...its not wrong...

Make i run comot before them use me settle quarrel.

justwise:

Bros all these you are saying is not my business, i sent an item, paid and i want it delivered. If my item is lost i want the value of the item paid and NOT Royal mail value. I will get that money including the cost of court case no matter how long it takes.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2020
Poch:

Their policy does not worth the paper it’s written on, imagine losing an item worth £200 and Royal Mail offers you £53 ? No wonder they can afford to be careless because it cost them almost nothing at the end .

Their game is to refuse and refuse to pay until you drag their sorry backside to court then they settle out of court

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Odedenshi1(m): 3:42pm On Dec 22, 2020
wonlasewonimi:

Send some letters to yourself to see if you get it or not.

Immediately it became glaring that someone was stealing letters, owing to Friday’s incident, I had a chat with some of the housemates, set up a whatsapp group and added almost everyone, including the suspected thief. By Saturday, the suspect moved out of the house informing the caretaker that he had emergency back home and exited the whatsapp group. I have this feeling that the caretaker is aware of what is going on because both of them are Pakistani.

I just realized my NI should have come in last week or 2weeks ago based on information from friends, who received theirs this week because I submitted 1week before they got their forms. Now my DBS Certificate and NI are nowhere to be found. If you live in the same house with a Pakistani, please be careful. Those guys are dangerous

I called the Police yesterday about this issue and was told that we should procure a CCTV camera for the mail area. The remaining housemates are now very vigilant.

I just hope I can sort myself out of this situation...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2020
icon8:

There’s a lot of reasons people emigrate, and economic reason is only one of them.

For purely economic reasons, no one will leave a 500k plus monthly salary job in Naija to settle for a £15k job (per annum) in the UK. I know that because I’ve been in that situation and I know the reality.

They could however take the £15k job as a stepping stone (a foot in the door) while working towards their dream role, but I repeat, if you’ve ever earned 500k monthly in Naija, a £15k job per annum would never seem like a jackpot to you. Door opener? Yes. But jackpot? Hell NO!

PS: I quite understand that people make sacrifices and take pay cuts to be with their family, move to saner climes, and all that. Those are other considerations outside of economics and are hardly relevant to this discourse.

You are right, £15k jackpot ke

Minimum wage everywhere is not easy at all especially let say a family of 4 .... after Bills in UK what can you have in saving . Literally nothing . It would be hand to mouth

Then In Nigeria earning minimum wage , hummmm let even leave that story for another day. To even get hand to mouth on that salary is something else

Both are not easy at all and we pray that God continues to bless our hands and open doors.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 22, 2020
Odedenshi1:

Immediately it became glaring that the person was stealing letters, owing to Friday’s incident, I had a chat with some of the housemates, set up a whatsapp group and added almost everyone, including the suspected thief. By Saturday, the suspect moved out informing the caretaker that he had emergency back home.

I just realized my NI should have come in last week or 2weeks ago based on information from friends, who received theirs this week because I submitted 1week before they got their forms. Now my DBS Certificate and NI are nowhere to be found. If you live in the same house with a Pakistani, please be careful. Those guys are dangerous

I called the Police yesterday about this issue and was told that we should procure a CCTV camera for the mail area.

Sorry about what you are going through.

But I am sure you won't be happy if someone says be careful if you're staying with a Nigerian.Nigerians are dangerous.

I am sure you will call the person a racist.

Please lets practice what we preach.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2020
Odedenshi1:

Immediately it became glaring that someone was stealing letters, owing to Friday’s incident, I had a chat with some of the housemates, set up a whatsapp group and added almost everyone, including the suspected thief. By Saturday, the suspect moved out of the house informing the caretaker that he had emergency back home and exited the whatsapp group. I have this feeling that the caretaker is aware of what is going on because both of them are Pakistani.

I called the Police yesterday about this issue and was told that we should procure a CCTV camera for the mail area. The remaining housemates are now very vigilant.

Erm...the bolded is what some would call fallacy of hasty generalisation. And I’m not even looking from a racism/bigotry/discrimination lens yet.

Do as you’d be done by.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 4:11pm On Dec 22, 2020
Poch:

My friend, there is no quarrel from me... I am just saying what I know... It is all there in black and white - buyer beware, so they say.

If he gets his full value back from the small claims court then that will be a great result. However, he still end getting the maximum of £50 but pay his own cost as well.

Clauses are clauses no matter how pained the person is.

I leave this topic now... No Biggie!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Odedenshi1(m): 4:38pm On Dec 22, 2020
icon8:

Erm...the bolded is what some would call fallacy of hasty generalisation. And I’m not even looking from a racism/bigotry/discrimination lens yet.

Do as you’d be done by.

Well, my position is based on my experience with this set of people both at home and at the work place.

Just last week over 10 of them were dismissed at my place of work based on similar tendencies of fraud, trying to game the system.

I have an official mail to that effect. I do not mean to offend anyone by my comments, but just to stress the point of being vigilant with them.

Have a nice day ahead everyone. Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:41pm On Dec 22, 2020
Odedenshi1:

UK processing time can vary .... I know of a couple husband and wife (tier 4) who came in January, submitted NI together and this was before covid self. Both forms were mailed the same day but it was 3 weeks apart that one got and the other

So unless specifically told that your NI has been mailed you cannot use the fact that you submitted a week before to judge. Hopefully you find what you are looking for or it arrives in the post
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 4:42pm On Dec 22, 2020
Odedenshi1:

Well, my position is based on my experience with this set of people both at home and at the work place.

Just last week over 10 of them were dismissed at my place of work based on similar tendencies of fraud, trying to game the system.

I have an official mail to that effect. I do not mean to offend anyone by my comments, but just to stress the point of being vigilant with them.

Now change that to Nigerians and see how it feels. In every country, you have those set of useless image tarnishing people.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Odedenshi1(m): 4:44pm On Dec 22, 2020
Aprokodaughter:

Sorry about what you are going through.

But I am sure you won't be happy if someone says be careful if you're staying with a Nigerian.Nigerians are dangerous.

I am sure you will call the person a racist.

Please lets practice what we preach.

No I won’t.

I will take it that the person is speaking from his experience based on Nigerians he must have crossed path with in time past.

I will do everything to prove him/her wrong if I have the opportunity to. Nigerians are tagged scammers globally, it doesn’t change the fact that there are still good Nigerians all over the world.

My statement is based on my experience.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:13pm On Dec 22, 2020
chrisj2:

My friend, there is no quarrel from me... I am just saying what I know... It is all there in black and white - buyer beware, so they say.

If he gets his full value back from the small claims court then that will be a great result. However, he still end getting the maximum of £50 but pay his own cost as well.

Clauses are clauses no matter how pained the person is.

I leave this topic now... No Biggie!

That is not how it works. Full value of the phone, cost of postage AND the court cost. You probably don't know this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 7:19pm On Dec 22, 2020
We live and learn... However, if you are successful, please do not hesitate to come here to gloat - this is your 'house' anyway...

For everyone else, please use special delivery for high value item even if you offer freepost to the bidder or customer... My tuppence!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Contra5(f): 7:19pm On Dec 22, 2020
Aphrodite007:

Heeei God o, oga im a married woman o- you shouldn’t make me blush like this grin
See you! I'm a woman grin tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 7:24pm On Dec 22, 2020
Odedenshi1:

But if a security guard follows you in a store, that is racism?

Abeg people should be judged based on their merits. You should be vigilant if you see what a, b, c and d did in the office you should be careful with them and not take it out on X, y, z because they are all letters of the alphabets.

That is why I don't like to involve myself in all this racial talk. If a whiye security guard follows you (I don't mean you) and he says because they caught black shoplifters, won't we cry racism. Abeg double standards.

E get another name them dey call am: racial profiling equally as bad

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 7:26pm On Dec 22, 2020
Contra5:

It doesn't matter these days o

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Contra5(f): 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2020
Poch:
Lol... First of all, I go to Tesco almost every other day... Have one less than a mile from me...and have never noticed any racist behavior from anyone. Even the security have been very friendly and professional.

Secondly, when I talked about taking up the walkway, I am sure you should get the metaphor in that statement. It would be senile for anyone to stretch and cover up the walkway from others to pass...that should even be a criminal offense.
My point was clearly to keep walking normally as supposed...and the racist few that feel too worthy of walking close to a black man on same pavement would step down and take the road...lol
Others pass easily bros... Life no too difficult...lets take it easy.

The book, 7 habits of highly effective people by Steve Covey talks about cycle of influence (things you have control over) and cycle of concern (things you have zero control over).
Getting people to like, respect or see you as equal is totally in your cycle of concern. You can do absolutely nothing about it...even you complain forever...so long they don't verbally or physically abuse you...it remains their problem. How you deal with such situations makes you a happier and better person. Thats all I'm trying to pass across... And I wish Africans can start imbibing such mentality.
Check out the Hispanics/Asians... Dont you just love them? They don't GAF about what anyone thinks of them...their culture, food...accent...stature etc...and they are succeeding massively in the UK! lol... Easy really does it my friend...really

Glad to know you were joking. Sending you socially distance hugs
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2020
Contra5:

Ko ni meaning grin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Contra5(f): 7:38pm On Dec 22, 2020
deept:

It doesn't matter these days o
This one is straight as an arrow! grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Poch: 7:40pm On Dec 22, 2020
I collect it...
...and send one right back... kiss

Contra5:

Glad to know you were joking. Sending you socially distance hugs
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2020
Contra5:

Hahahahaha! I was blushing for nothing cry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:52pm On Dec 22, 2020
Contra5:

This one is straight as an arrow! grin
Even arrow dey bend sometimes. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.