Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,848 members, 7,889,850 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 10:33 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1346000 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:52am On Jan 10, 2021
Donris:
Good morning all, pls can one use an infinix phone in the UK?

Yes......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by PtBlank: 1:43am On Jan 10, 2021
Thanks. I wasn't referring to a naira denominated card though
Lexusgs430:

Put it on a card and be in serious financial predicament..... You would only be able to withdraw $100 pcm...........

Carrying cash, it must not exceed £10,000 (or else, if found by those funny sniffing dogs).... You go explain or money seized......... tongue

Your best option if over £10,000.... Leave in Nigeria and do trade by barter (ensure you have online access)....... wink

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:49am On Jan 10, 2021
PtBlank:
Thanks. I wasn't referring to a naira denominated card though

You did not say....... If only I was telepathic......... grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 5:29am On Jan 10, 2021
Greetings and sure we having a great weekend.

Please can anyone suggest where I can buy good quality baby clothes (2yrs upward) at good prices in Glasgow. By good price I mean, something of the Zara budget or less. But the important part is the quality. A quality like Tommy. Lol

Then good Jean for adult (male and female)

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 6:50am On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Please can anyone suggest where I can buy good quality baby clothes (2yrs upward) at good prices in Glasgow. By good price I mean, something of the Zara budget or less. But the important part is the quality. A quality like Tommy. Lol

Thanks.

Primark
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 7:48am On Jan 10, 2021
umarwy:

Primark

Thanks. The thing is I have used primark in Paris and didn’t like the stuff they have. I don’t know if it’s same thing here. I like to use my stuff for long, and I didn’t buy from primark then cause it didn’t look rugged to me like Zara stuffs. My wife bought night gown and home slippers. Them no really last, tho them fine.

Please help, the primark here do they have quality stuff that could be used severally without fading or spreading. I no get money to buy something twice na why I de ask.

Thanks....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:00am On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Thanks. The thing is I have used primark in Paris and didn’t like the stuff they have. I don’t know if it’s same thing here. I like to use my stuff for long, and I didn’t buy from primark then cause it didn’t look rugged to me like Zara stuffs. My wife bought night gown and home slippers. Them no really last, tho them fine.

Please help, the primark here do they have quality stuff that could be used severally without fading or spreading. I no get money to buy something twice na why I de ask.

Thanks....

Primark: Paris = UK
Zara: Paris = UK

There is Zara in the UK too.

There lies the answer you seek.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 8:13am On Jan 10, 2021
RalphJean:

Primark: Paris = UK
Zara: Paris = UK

There is Zara in the UK too.

There lies the answer you seek.

Yeah, I have google Zara near me and the open ones. I just wanted to know if there are other similar to Zara that are not popular but also have good stuffs. I like your hidden reply to the question. Please if you know any so that there can be multiple options for us, especially for our little man. I went to shop grocery at Asda and saw they sell clothes upstairs, prices were about that of Zara but quality not as that. I know people who have been here for years will know those stores that are not so popular but have good stuff especially for kids. I think ours we can get some from Zara and buy more later as we grow in the city.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:59am On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Yeah, I have google Zara near me and the open ones. I just wanted to know if there are other similar to Zara that are not popular but also have good stuffs. I like your hidden reply to the question. Please if you know any so that there can be multiple options for us, especially for our little man. I went to shop grocery at Asda and saw they sell clothes upstairs, prices were about that of Zara but quality not as that. I know people who have been here for years will know those stores that are not so popular but have good stuff especially for kids. I think ours we can get some from Zara and buy more later as we grow in the city.

See RalphJean Ijebu pipu ó....... He wants to put a donkey, in a sprint race............. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 10, 2021
wallg123:

Bros let’s face reality coming to Uk to do DJ would fetch you almost nothing financially these days due to lockdown and social distancing issue which has made clubs and bars shut for over 1yr now....
But before COVID-19 era, you would have done extensive networking before you’ll secure gigs in clubs, bars or radio stations..... it is very different from Nigeria.
So I’ll advice you to make alternative financial plans (plan B) until whenever you finally breakthrough the DJ industry.....
DJing should be your 3rd or 4th source of income
thanks boss .... I really appreciate, God bless you .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 9:43am On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Debenham's are holding a closing down sale - its online now as stores are closed - check and see if there's anything you can still get there.
Some others are giving reduced prices for instance - M&S still had its 30% off sale on as at last week.
Do Primark for a 2 year old - they grow so fast and you don't really need to invest good money into children's clothes which they'll grow out of before you know it. Fast fashion all the way for children. And your money goes farther there too - there's a reason why their stores are usually so full.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 9:59am On Jan 10, 2021
PtBlank:
Hello people, is it advisable to come to the UK with cash or better to put it on a card? Kindly advise

You could do some of both.
Advisable you check your bank's limits on transactions with its naira card abroad (which are ever-changing), open a domiciliary account, convert [some or all of] your naira to sterling, then get a debit card for that account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 10:42am On Jan 10, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Debenham's are holding a closing down sale - its online now as stores are closed - check and see if there's anything you can still get there.
Some others are giving reduced prices for instance - M&S still had its 30% off sale on as at last week.
Do Primark for a 2 year old - they grow so fast and you don't really need to invest good money into children's clothes which they'll grow out of before you know it. Fast fashion all the way for children. And your money goes farther there too - there's a reason why their stores are usually so full.

Thanks. Well said.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 10:43am On Jan 10, 2021
Lexusgs430:

See RalphJean Ijebu pipu ó....... He wants to put a donkey, in a sprint race............. cheesy

Lol. We go do anything if possible and set record.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by PtBlank: 11:29am On Jan 10, 2021
Thank you.
TheGuyFromHR:

You could do some of both.
Advisable you check your bank's limits on transactions with its naira card abroad (which are ever-changing), open a domiciliary account, convert [some or all of] your naira to sterling, then get a debit card for that account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:39am On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Thanks.

Check Next ..... and you can also check next clearance on their website. They put new stuff every morning so best to check in the morning
If you have no power for that then you can check their full price item .

Also boots bought over mothercare so you can find some clothing items on boots website. If it's a girl child then for me monsoon is my favourite for girls clothing

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:59am On Jan 10, 2021
Try F&F- The clothing line of Tesco and/or Nutmeg, the clothing line of Morisson. Come back and thank me later wink

Chreze:

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Oggg: 12:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Thanks.
H and M.
Matalan
Monsoon
Gap
Next
George

Check the sale/clearance sections of the above online stores. U would be surprised at your finds esp for the kids. I understand your not wanting to compromise on the quality for them.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 2:16pm On Jan 10, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Check Next ..... and you can also check next clearance on their website. They put new stuff every morning so best to check in the morning
If you have no power for that then you can check their full price item .

Also boots bought over mothercare so you can find some clothing items on boots website. If it's a girl child then for me monsoon is my favourite for girls clothing

Thank you very much. He’s a boy. Good thing is this shops are doing click and pick, Cos delivery is not possible most of the time. Tesco said they won’t be able to deliver till Wednesday next week. Good thing I bought a first week card so I was able to go around to different shops and pick my stuffs. Even the Zara, I saw online that they were open for in store purchase and click n pick. But went there and they said it was just click n pick.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 2:18pm On Jan 10, 2021
Mamatukwas:
Try F&F- The clothing line of Tesco and/or Nutmeg, the clothing line of Morisson. Come back and thank me later wink

Ha, I can’t wait to come say thank You ooo.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 2:19pm On Jan 10, 2021
Oggg:

H and M.
Matalan
Monsoon
Gap
Next
George

Check the sale/clearance sections of the above online stores. U would be surprised at your finds esp for the kids. I understand your not wanting to compromise on the quality for them.

Thanks. I will check them all. I know next to be expensive, but with the corona effect, everyone is doing extra sales so I am sure one will be able to afford them now without sweat.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 3:55pm On Jan 10, 2021
Chreze:

Thanks.

Try Marks and Spencer’s
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2021
umarwy:

Primark

grin Did you see the “quality like Tommy” part? grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 4:15pm On Jan 10, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

As in, I was thinking this exactly. Why invest in clothes that they would grow out of, not even go anywhere in, and not even show since they will wear a jacket all through.

Me that I will buy 1 expanding shirt and trouser for my own, so I don’t shop again till it’s age 7 grin

But each man to his own.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Josh121(m): 4:17pm On Jan 10, 2021
Happy Sunday house, pls between
1. MSc Safety, Health and Environment
2. MPH Public Heath
Which has more jobs availability after graduation.
Pls help a brother

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2021
Check Matalan, they are currently on sales and deliver within 15 days for sales items. They've got nice quality items. The George range by Asda is equally good too. Primark (though currently closed) is good for kid's wears and my LO has had some Primark stuff for about 2-3 years without issues.
In terms of dresses, Tshirts and tights, Primark products perform as well as other brands based on my experience. In terms of jeans trousers for kids, it performs just as well as other brands. In terms of jeans trousers for adults, Primark rips in the bum area (between the thighs) faster than Matalan/M&S brands while Primark cotton/office trousers do just as well as other brands but this can also be dependent on usage.
Just wash whatever brand you buy with a low temperature and the recommended setting while also using colour and dirt collectors in your wash to preserve the quality and increase length of time it's used for.
Chreze:

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Josh121(m): 5:45pm On Jan 10, 2021
@ mimilyrics pls between
2. MPH Public Heath
Pls help a brother
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 5:49pm On Jan 10, 2021
Getting a job after graduation is usually dependent on how well you sell yourself and your skills in relation to the job applied for so I can't categorically tell you which has more jobs availability after graduation.
What are your key strengths? Where do you have experience in? What would you really like to do after graduation? Will you be able to undergo internships or volunteer in either of the sector to enable you gain some experience which might help prepare you for the UK job market? These will enable you pick the one best suited for you.
Josh121:
@ mimilyrics pls between
2. MPH Public Heath
Pls help a brother
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Josh121(m): 6:05pm On Jan 10, 2021
mimilyrics:
Getting a job after graduation is usually dependent on how well you sell yourself and your skills in relation to the job applied for so I can't categorically tell you which has more jobs availability after graduation.
What are your key strengths? Where do you have experience in? What would you really like to do after graduation? Will you be able to undergo internships or volunteer in either of the sector to enable you gain some experience which might help prepare you for the UK job market? These will enable you pick the one best suited for you.

Thanks for getting back , it actually my wife , already planning for her to volunteer while studying. I am sure that will go along way to help
Thanks so much , now I know how to plan ahead
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 6:45pm On Jan 10, 2021
dustydee:

Talking about neighbours and Sh*t, does anyone have an idea how to stop cats from coming to your garden?
I bought an ultrasound thing to scare them but it doesn't. I have recently bought citronella and cat silhouette but it does not seem to be too effective. I do not have a cat yet I have to clean cat poop, is that fair?

Cats go back to areas where they poo to poo again because of they are drawn by the smell of poo....to handle this you have try to prevent them from smelling the poo for at least 3 days...

I tried the cat repellent granules but that didn't work for me...as a naija guy I improvised by mixing water and strong smelling biodegradable detergent+fabric perfumes to soak my garden for a week...they still came in but didnt poo again...garden has been free and fresh for a long time now

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:55pm On Jan 10, 2021
mimilyrics:
Check Matalan, they are currently on sales and deliver within 15 days for sales items. They've got nice quality items. The George range by Asda is equally good too. Primark (though currently closed) is good for kid's wears and my LO has had some Primark stuff for about 2-3 years without issues.
In terms of dresses, Tshirts and tights, Primark products perform as well as other brands based on my experience. In terms of jeans trousers for kids, it performs just as well as other brands. In terms of jeans trousers for adults, Primark rips in the bum area (between the thighs) faster than Matalan/M&S brands while Primark cotton/office trousers do just as well as other brands but this can also be dependent on usage.
Just wash whatever brand you buy with a low temperature and the recommended setting while also using colour and dirt collectors in your wash to preserve the quality and increase length of time it's used for.

Is it Primark that you are hyping like this .....behave smiley cheesy grin.

Dont mind me sha, I just dont like that store . Got some clothes there 10 years ago after one wash the quality was appalling and never entered the shop again. Maybe over the years they have improved to deserve this praise... maybe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 9:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
grin Yesso grin I was delightfully surprised by the Tshirts, dresses and tights (they still usually look good when they don't fit anymore so they go to charity) when I got proven wrong but I can't buy jeans for myself from Primark because that one is premium tears loading. Their jeans, on about 2 occasions, made me feel unwanted draught of cold in the "under world" few weeks after purchase and I just gently stuck to matalan and M&S for my jeans.
My LO's Primark jeans, which usually see loads of rough play, lasts for as long as possible and it still looks good for charity when they grow smaller.
Shoes are also something I wouldn't buy at Primark.
LagosismyHome:

Is it Primark that you are hyping like this .....behave smiley cheesy grin.

Dont mind me sha, I just dont like that store . Got some clothes there 10 years ago after one wash the quality was appalling and never entered the shop again. Maybe over the years they have improved to deserve this praise... maybe

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.