Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,275 members, 7,964,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 10:15 AM

On Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On Tithing (576 Views)

Daddy Freeze Replies Apostle Suleman On Tithing (Free The Sheeple) / Apostle Suleman Replies Daddy Freeze on Tithing Controversy / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Tithing by Akposb(m): 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2017
I would not have bothered to discuss this topic if not but to defend and protect some impressionable minds. I plead that you read this article to the end in order to save yourself from rational minds who think they know much about the spiritual.

Tithing is as old as the creation of man and the first record of tithe payment was by Abraham. He paid ten percent of his plunder after he rescued Lot from some kings who had ganged up against Sodom to the priest Melchidezek (Gen. 14:20).

Tithing has evolved with time and this follows on from the people of Israel down to the present age. The people of Israel were mainly farmers and animal herders hence they paid in this way (Leveticus). The other notable portion of the Old Testament where the issue of Tithing was mentioned is in the book Of Malachi 3:6-10 where God specifically asked the people to bring their tithe and offerings into the storehouse so that his home will not be empty and he will bless them.

The present day Christian is often used to quoting the teachings of Jesus who came to establish the way of life we now practice. He did not specifically mention the issue of tithing but his teachings pointed to the importance of using your money to serve God.The payment of tithe in the present day has a link with the past and it is unique in some ways. The present world is ruled by money and it will be inconceivable to see anyone even a farmer bring in their primary produce as tithe. For the sake of context, tithe is ten percent of your earnings and it is different from offerings.

Why you should pay tithes and benefits

The reason why we pay tithe is as simple as obedience to a divine command from God. If we agree that it has been mentioned in the bible, then why should we let go of a practice that has been on for ages. The payment of tithes has a lot to do with how the church and its activities is funded in the present age. The Levites of the old were asked not to work, were given little inheritance among the Israelites and were principally asked to serve in the church. The present day pastor follows the same mode except in situations where they are deemed part time.

Tithe is also a means to fund other activities of the church like missionary works. I am an Anglican and I am aware that the church do send out missionaries to places where the word has not been preached. The church requires tithe and other offerings to fund mission works, pay priests and also fulfil its obligations to the community. The church can never have enough except in some cases which will be duly discussed later. The mission work is central to the vision of Christ and this cannot be done without using money.

The reason why you should pay tithe as an individual is to fulfil both physical and Spiritual obligations as a Christian and this also comes with their benefits. On the Spiritual aspect, it is recognized that as Christians, we ought to obey every command of God as he delights in our obedience. Apart from obedience, the average Christian ought to sacrifice his time to God and how best than to pay part of what you earn. We spend hours away from his presence working to satisfy our needs and wants and this directly affects the time we spend with God. Giving money to his house will definitely not compensate for our inability to spend time in his presence but it is a way to show that we are devoted. Also it will be pleasing that we know we are storing up treasures for ourselves in heaven rather than on earth.

Giving ten percent of your income also has its practical dimension as it is not easy for the human mind to give it away. The effect on the income of an individual is dependent on how much they earn. Tithing brings financial discipline along with it and therefore a regular tither can easily become prudent if he keeps on with it. The major problem in our present world aside from low income is poor financial management and greed.

Beggars and pastors

The present controversy in tithing has been fueled by the ostentatious lifestyle of some pastors. The pastors have been accused of using church money to build mansions, buy private jets and other luxury goods. At this point, it will not be inconceivable to call some of these men fake pastors who we were warned about in the bible. The actions of these men should not colour your vision and thought on what tithe should be used for. As I mentioned earlier, tithe is used to fund the church’s activities and here I will focus on its missionary activities.

I read a book some time ago on evangelism and a man was used as an example due to his exemplary act. He was a famous cricketer in England and he earned so much money as a result. At a point, he sold every of his property, went to a particular country and did evangelism there. We are beneficiaries of such actions and it is not far-fetched where these money may have come from. Of recent, a missionary Ian Squire was killed in Delta State. He used his skill as an optometrist to help people who are blind and was training some doctors until his unfortunate death in the hands of some kidnappers.

The church is not immune to the failure of man and his struggle with his desires. The church is an institution and hence it can be weak or strong. I like my church because it has a democratic nature. Pastors are subject to laws and yet some embezzled church funds. This same practice is run in some Pentecostal churches and this has helped to regulate the activities of men of God. If you attend a church where the pastor’s use of money is suspicious, then I may encourage you to change to another. If you are against changing, then there are several Christian missions you cannot donate to in order to fund their activities.

Some Christians have come up with this notion that they should start paying their tithes to beggars or those in need. I will not advise against this if you are led by the HOLY SPIRIT (emphasis mine) but if it is in the form of rebelling against your pastor or church, please I urge you to pray to God for direction. Christ said it that the poor will always be with us and yet he encouraged us to give to them and the church (Matt. 26:11). The beggar cannot replace God and this is my reason. I know a man who is crippled but he works despite this disability. He makes leather slippers and we have several examples like them who live around us. We can argue for a more humane society for the disable but it should not replace our service to God. Paul also admonished that a lazy man should not eat, we should empower the people around us rather than encourage them to beg.

This post became necessary because of recent attempts by some people who feel they are knowledgeable about the church ways and thus they could make decrees about them. The present day Christian should understand that comments and criticisms will be made about their activities but it is left for the discerning to understand what God says. I urge you not to be just a rational Christian, but a spiritual one as the battle is fought mainly in the Spiritual. Read the bible, seek the counsel of the Holy Spirit and let grace keep you on the narrow way.

Written by me.
Re: On Tithing by MajorGomwalk(m): 4:06pm On Nov 08, 2017
Akposb:

I would not have bothered to discuss this topic if not but to defend and protect some impressionable minds. I plead that you read this article to the end in order to save yourself from rational minds who think they know much about the spiritual.

Tithing is as old as the creation of man and the first record of tithe payment was by Abraham. He paid ten percent of his plunder after he rescued Lot from some kings who had ganged up against Sodom to the priest Melchidezek (Gen. 14:20).

Tithing has evolved with time and this follows on from the people of Israel down to the present age. The people of Israel were mainly farmers and animal herders hence they paid in this way (Leveticus). The other notable portion of the Old Testament where the issue of Tithing was mentioned is in the book Of Malachi 3:6-10 where God specifically asked the people to bring their tithe and offerings into the storehouse so that his home will not be empty and he will bless them.

The present day Christian is often used to quoting the teachings of Jesus who came to establish the way of life we now practice. He did not specifically mention the issue of tithing but his teachings pointed to the importance of using your money to serve God.The payment of tithe in the present day has a link with the past and it is unique in some ways. The present world is ruled by money and it will be inconceivable to see anyone even a farmer bring in their primary produce as tithe. For the sake of context, tithe is ten percent of your earnings and it is different from offerings.

Why you should pay tithes and benefits

The reason why we pay tithe is as simple as obedience to a divine command from God. If we agree that it has been mentioned in the bible, then why should we let go of a practice that has been on for ages. The payment of tithes has a lot to do with how the church and its activities is funded in the present age. The Levites of the old were asked not to work, were given little inheritance among the Israelites and were principally asked to serve in the church. The present day pastor follows the same mode except in situations where they are deemed part time.

Tithe is also a means to fund other activities of the church like missionary works. I am an Anglican and I am aware that the church do send out missionaries to places where the word has not been preached. The church requires tithe and other offerings to fund mission works, pay priests and also fulfil its obligations to the community. The church can never have enough except in some cases which will be duly discussed later. The mission work is central to the vision of Christ and this cannot be done without using money.

The reason why you should pay tithe as an individual is to fulfil both physical and Spiritual obligations as a Christian and this also comes with their benefits. On the Spiritual aspect, it is recognized that as Christians, we ought to obey every command of God as he delights in our obedience. Apart from obedience, the average Christian ought to sacrifice his time to God and how best than to pay part of what you earn. We spend hours away from his presence working to satisfy our needs and wants and this directly affects the time we spend with God. Giving money to his house will definitely not compensate for our inability to spend time in his presence but it is a way to show that we are devoted. Also it will be pleasing that we know we are storing up treasures for ourselves in heaven rather than on earth.

Giving ten percent of your income also has its practical dimension as it is not easy for the human mind to give it away. The effect on the income of an individual is dependent on how much they earn. Tithing brings financial discipline along with it and therefore a regular tither can easily become prudent if he keeps on with it. The major problem in our present world aside from low income is poor financial management and greed.

Beggars and pastors

The present controversy in tithing has been fueled by the ostentatious lifestyle of some pastors. The pastors have been accused of using church money to build mansions, buy private jets and other luxury goods. At this point, it will not be inconceivable to call some of these men fake pastors who we were warned about in the bible. The actions of these men should not colour your vision and thought on what tithe should be used for. As I mentioned earlier, tithe is used to fund the church’s activities and here I will focus on its missionary activities.

I read a book some time ago on evangelism and a man was used as an example due to his exemplary act. He was a famous cricketer in England and he earned so much money as a result. At a point, he sold every of his property, went to a particular country and did evangelism there. We are beneficiaries of such actions and it is not far-fetched where these money may have come from. Of recent, a missionary Ian Squire was killed in Delta State. He used his skill as an optometrist to help people who are blind and was training some doctors until his unfortunate death in the hands of some kidnappers.

The church is not immune to the failure of man and his struggle with his desires. The church is an institution and hence it can be weak or strong. I like my church because it has a democratic nature. Pastors are subject to laws and yet some embezzled church funds. This same practice is run in some Pentecostal churches and this has helped to regulate the activities of men of God. If you attend a church where the pastor’s use of money is suspicious, then I may encourage you to change to another. If you are against changing, then there are several Christian missions you cannot donate to in order to fund their activities.

Some Christians have come up with this notion that they should start paying their tithes to beggars or those in need. I will not advise against this if you are led by the HOLY SPIRIT (emphasis mine) but if it is in the form of rebelling against your pastor or church, please I urge you to pray to God for direction. Christ said it that the poor will always be with us and yet he encouraged us to give to them and the church (Matt. 26:11). -The beggar cannot replace God and this is my reason-. I know a man who is crippled but he works despite this disability. He makes leather slippers and we have several examples like them who live around us. We can argue for a more humane society for the disable but it should not replace our service to God. Paul also admonished that a lazy man should not eat, we should empower the people around us rather than encourage them to beg.

This post became necessary because of recent attempts by some people who feel they are knowledgeable about the church ways and thus they could make decrees about them. The present day Christian should understand that comments and criticisms will be made about their activities but it is left for the discerning to understand what God says. I urge you not to be just a rational Christian, but a spiritual one as the battle is fought mainly in the Spiritual. Read the bible, seek the counsel of the Holy Spirit and let grace keep you on the narrow way.

Written by me.
It is an illusion that God needs your money.
Religion itself is an illusion, with most of them spreading doctrines that imprison us.
Tithe was not even collected in CHURCH for the first 600 years that the CHURCH needed 'expansion' the most.
I stand with Daddy Freeze.
Free the sheeple.

1 Like

Re: On Tithing by OtemSapien: 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2017
It's either you are a sheeple or you are a pastor who don't want to lose the sheeple under you.
If you are a sheeple, think deep, do you think God Almighty, the creator of Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Atum etc would be having need of your money? For what?
If you are a pastor, you sure know the final bus stop of your members tithes and that's why you're trying to fight for the frequency of attendance to that bus stop by your sheeple. Ride on.

1 Like

Re: On Tithing by spongeisback: 6:30pm On Nov 08, 2017
It's so funny that Christians paint this big,all knowing, powerful,rich and holy god. Then turn around to say he needs money,why? A chapter of the bible says your god can raise stones to praise him if he can do that why can't he convert leaves to cash? Why is he expecting money from minimum wage salary earners is that not selfishness and wickedness?
Re: On Tithing by Akposb(m): 7:36pm On Nov 08, 2017
To the three commenter above, I hope you find the light soon. Life will not end here hence I urge you guys to re-evaluate your lives.
Re: On Tithing by bloodofthelamb(m): 11:03pm On Nov 08, 2017
CIRCUMCISION STARTED WITH ABRAHAM ALSO. ARE WE TO CIRCUMCISE OURSELVES TOO?
Re: On Tithing by Akposb(m): 11:23am On Nov 09, 2017
bloodofthelamb:
CIRCUMCISION STARTED WITH ABRAHAM ALSO. ARE WE TO CIRCUMCISE OURSELVES TOO?
Circumcision is still being practiced and really I doubt if you read what I wrote.

(1) (Reply)

TB Joshua Says The N.aked Wilderness Prayer Of Americans Stopped Hilary Clinton / PMCH. MFM. Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Ministries. Power Must Change Hands / The Experience 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.