Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,860 members, 7,889,872 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:18 PM

Why Is Church University Costly? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Church University Costly? (806 Views)

Facts From Canterbury Christ Church University / Notable Alumni From Canterbury Christ Church University. / UK University Of The Week: Canterbury Christ Church University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Church University Costly? by DammyBae(f): 9:33pm On Nov 11, 2017
I do wonder why university created by the churches are not the cheapest,they are too cost.Why? Ain't it suppose to be helpful to the less privileged ?? There is God oo cry,even the school is now a business place.
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by gabe: 11:57am On Nov 12, 2017
they have huge bills to pay. lecturers salaries, lab equipment and research facilities, hostels and other school buildings don't come cheap. school fees happen to be their only source of income after establishment.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 12, 2017
Church Universities are costly because it cost that much to run a proper University. They have to pay electricity bills of students and staff quarters. Mind you there are more people living in Covenant University than some local governments in West Africa and everyone of them consume electricity personally and in the academic area.

They are expensive because Lecturers and other workers must be paid salaries. Now understand as each lecturer in a university system grow in rank their salaries must also grow which means that the wage bill of each University must swell from time to time. Covenant now has over 95 professors some of which were employed as Lecturer 1. If you don't upgrade them as quick enough they would seek for employment elsewhere.

They are expensive because Lecturers must go for international and local academic conferences sponsored by the University each year. Each local conference support fund per lecturer per year exceeds N100,000 not to talk more of international

They are expensive because the University must pay $1000 for each journal of the University to maintain an Open access policy. Failure to do this would make a University rank low on webometrics and other ranking bodies.

They are expensive because they have to stock their libraries on a yearly basis. Covenant for instance adds 10,000 books to library per year in line with UNESCO standard.

They are expensive because as a University grows the Infrastructural need grows. And the University must continually upgrade, maintain and build structures.

They are expensive because they need to fund research work. Any meaningful research work would cost over $100,000 e.g Prof Misra Sanjay Intelligent system project of $600,000 sponsored by CU

They are expensive because they have to stock the laboratories with new equipment, regeants etc.

They are expensive because they need to spend on Consultancy services. Covenant spends 300 million naira/year on data analytics.

They are expensive because they must run an Hospital with doctors and Nurses that must be paid. Covenant Uni clinic has 12 doctors and about 30 Nurses with several other professional etc.

I could continue to give you reasons but this would suffice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 12, 2017
A University is a fund eating machine if it were easy to fund, Osun and Oyo which are funded by COMPULSORY tax and Federal Allocations wouldn't have defaulted with Lautech.

A University consumes funds faster than Most Churches capacity to generate tithes and offering. Our wage bill for this month can't be 200 million naira and the Church gives the excuse of only making 100 million naira in tithes and offerings.

You don't want to tie the fund of a University to the church while many Christians can't even decide whether they want to pay Tithe or Not.

Lalasticlala pls move this to front page maybe others can have answers for her.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2017
I know enhn that it can be painful to contribute to the success of a Church and then not be able to afford their school fees but you see reality is just reality - University Education is Expensive.

The last time we were with Bishop Oyedepo he talked about his hope that some of us would join in the quest to fund the scholarship of indigent students. Now, for every scholarship student the DOF brings, Oyedepo Found will pay the Universities per head.
Meaning that if a person wants to study Mech Engnr under David Oyedepo Foundation. The foundation must pay 850,000 x 5 years per head and if it is a church member from another African country they must pay for the return air ticket of such students. The foundation has about 200 of those in Covenant and Landmark together.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
DammyBae:
I do wonder why university created by the churches are not the cheapest,they are too cost.Why? Ain't it suppose to be helpful to the less privileged ?? There is God oo cry,even the school is now a business place.
That's because it cost more to sustain it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
Statsocial:
I know enhn that it can be painful to contribute to the success of a Church and then not be able to afford their school fees but you see reality is just reality - University Education is Expensive.

The last time we were with Bishop Oyedepo he talked about his hope that some of us would join in the quest to fund the scholarship of indigent students. Now, for every scholarship student the DOF brings, Oyedepo Found will pay the Universities per head.
Meaning that if a person wants to study Mech Engnr under David Oyedepo Foundation. The foundation must pay 850,000 x 5 years per head and if it is a church member from another African country they must pay for the return air ticket of such students. The foundation has about 200 of those in Covenant and Landmark together.
You don't mean it

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by olasb24: 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
church itself its business centre

1 Like

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by olasb24: 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2017
olasb24:
church itself its business centre
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You don't mean it
I do mean it.
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 12, 2017
Statsocial:

I do mean it.
Kk
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by madecity(m): 7:52pm On Nov 12, 2017
Statsocial:
Church Universities are costly because it cost that much to run a proper University. They have to pay electricity bills of students and staff quarters. Mind you there are more people living in Covenant University than some local governments in West Africa and everyone of them consume electricity personally and in the academic area.

They are expensive because Lecturers and other workers must be paid salaries. Now understand as each lecturer in a university system grow in rank their salaries must also grow which means that the wage bill of each University must swell from time to time. Covenant now has over 95 professors some of which were employed as Lecturer 1. If you don't upgrade them as quick enough they would seek for employment elsewhere.

They are expensive because Lecturers must go for international and local academic conferences sponsored by the University each year. Each local conference support fund per lecturer per year exceeds N100,000 not to talk more of international

They are expensive because the University must pay $1000 for each journal of the University to maintain an Open access policy. Failure to do this would make a University rank low on webometrics and other ranking bodies.

They are expensive because they have to stock their libraries on a yearly basis. Covenant for instance adds 10,000 books to library per year in line with UNESCO standard.

They are expensive because as a University grows the Infrastructural need grows. And the University must continually upgrade, maintain and build structures.

They are expensive because they need to fund research work. Any meaningful research work would cost over $100,000 e.g Prof Misra Sanjay Intelligent system project of $600,000 sponsored by CU

They are expensive because they have to stock the laboratories with new equipment, regeants etc.

They are expensive because they need to spend on Consultancy services. Covenant spends 300 million naira/year on data analytics.

They are expensive because they must run an Hospital with doctors and Nurses that must be paid. Covenant Uni clinic has 12 doctors and about 30 Nurses with several other professional etc.

lmao..well said,buh y collect offering for such institution.I once met a man hu told me hw he offered offering for one of dis so called "church owned university" buh now he can't afford to send even one of his wards to such institution or hav u come across anybody complainin abt d lyks of A U N,Baze etc.buh wen u tell us its "missionary" nd u save abt $150m,or can't that moni take care of dia expenses?
If u they want to mak dia skul fee a billion naira no problem buh don't lie to us dat it missionary nd u r making millions frm it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by DammyBae(f): 8:09pm On Nov 12, 2017
gabe:
they have huge bills to pay. lecturers salaries, lab equipment and research facilities, hostels and other school buildings don't come cheap. school fees happen to be their only source of income after establishment.
wao!
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by DammyBae(f): 8:10pm On Nov 12, 2017
Statsocial:

you deserve a medal!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 12, 2017
madecity:
lmao..well said,buh y collect offering for such institution.I once met a man hu told me hw he offered offering for one of dis so called "church owned university" buh now he can't afford to send even one of his wards to such institution or hav u come across anybody complainin abt d lyks of A U N,Baze etc.buh wen u tell us its "missionary" nd u save abt $150m,or can't that moni take care of dia expenses?
If u they want to mak dia skul fee a billion naira no problem buh don't lie to us dat it missionary nd u r making millions frm it.
Let us assume the man donated N100,000. Is it that 100,000 that would cover the cost of the Child's entire program at the University for 4 years?
There are many people who donated to Church Universities and still had to pay the exact amount other kids had to pay.
Many Covenant University students tithe to the Living Faith Church should we then come the following year and ask for tuition subsidy and whatever one gives to Church you give for others to benefit..
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 12, 2017
DammyBae:
you deserve a medal!
I'm glad I was able to win your heart over. On a serious note if you personally want to go to a Church university you can apply for a scholarship or apply for part time in Covenant which is N150k
Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by DammyBae(f): 2:04am On Nov 13, 2017
Statsocial:

I'm glad I was able to win your heart over. On a serious note if you personally want to go to a Church university you can apply for a scholarship or apply for part time in Covenant which is N150k
maybe my next life cry

1 Like

Re: Why Is Church University Costly? by madecity(m): 8:32am On Nov 13, 2017
Statsocial:

Let us assume the man donated N100,000. Is it that 100,000 that would cover the cost of the Child's entire program at the University for 4 years?
There are many people who donated to Church Universities and still had to pay the exact amount other kids had to pay.
Many Covenant University students tithe to the Living Faith Church should we then come the following year and ask for tuition subsidy and whatever one gives to Church you give for others to benefit..
m nt picking out only c.u nether m I talking about people making donations,some of these churches collect OFFERINGS for the establishment of their so called universities,telling their members they want to meet up with educational challenges within the country as if everyone can send his kids to such institutions and at the end we see the schools with outrageous school fees,what happens to that old women that have been faithfully giving that offering with the hope to send her grand children someday to a christian universities.

(1) (Reply)

Annual National Mathematics Competition(anmc) / AAUA 2nd Batch Admission List 2017/2018 Is Out Online – Www.eportal.aaua.edu.ng / Quantitative Reasoning I Couldn't Solve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.