Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,698 members, 7,889,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:04 AM

Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son (699 Views)

How To Identify Objects Using Google Lens On Your Smartphones / Identical Twins Who Fooled The Iphone X Face ID / Airtel Pulls Out Of Race To Purchase 9mobile As Globacom Fails To Submit a Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by dtechbaze(m): 3:37pm On Nov 15, 2017
iPhone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails to Identify Between Mother and Son
Recently, a 10-year-old boy managed to trick his mother’s iPhone X using his face. The mother and son duo have posted a video on Youtube which features mother Sana Sherwani and her kid Ammar Malik.
iPhone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails to Identify Between Mother and Son
Apple was keen to say during the launch of the iPhone X that Face ID is a much better security system than Touch ID and has an incredibly low error rate. However, it seems that in real life this is not quite what happens.
According to the company, FaceID uses advanced facial recognition technology, which can’t be fooled by photos or ultra-realistic masks. Recently, a 10-year-old boy managed to trick his mother’s iPhone X using his face.
The mother and son duo have posted a video on Youtube which features mother Sana Sherwani and her kid Ammar Malik. The 41-second long video shows that the kid was able to unlock the iPhone X of sherwani because of some visible family resemblance.
Attaullah Malik, the husband of Sherwani who works as a director of technology operations at Taskstream pointed out the flaws in a LinkedInpost “Apparently, TrueDepth camera’s depth map of my wife’s face, which was created by projecting and analysing over 30,000 dots, wasn’t accurate enough as it worked with my 10-year-old son. He doesn’t fall under the ‘twins’ exception and has a big age difference compared to my wife. His face is smaller than my wife’s face, and the geometry of their faces don’t match, at least to human eyes”
It is worth remembering that in recent tests, the iPhone X also was not able to differentiate twin siblings, which was to be expected, taking into consideration that the two have the same features.
However, failing to differentiate a mother and her 10-year-old son is something that really shows how Face ID might not be as safe as the Touch ID.
CC,
honsule, dragnet, puskin, Lalasticlala, mynd44

Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by dtechbaze(m): 3:52pm On Nov 15, 2017
CC
honsule, dragnet, puskin,Lalasticlala mynd44,lordZOUGA, Javanian, kodewrita
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by Collinz2(m): 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
Apple just dey fool their self, when i heard their face id can differentiate between two identical twin i was like this guys are nt serious.
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2017
Just bring back touch ID.. it is more secure and faster.
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by khalhokage(m): 4:48pm On Nov 15, 2017
Collinz2:
Apple just dey fool their self, when i heard their face id can differentiate between two identical twin i was like this guys are nt serious.

Lol, a pair of twins have already debunked that, the phone couldn't differentiate between them.

But it's Apple, people don't care if they lie to them so long as it has an Apple logo then it's doing it's job.
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 15, 2017
greenhulk:
Just bring back touch ID.. it is more secure and faster.

Apple won't. They are even preparing for a rear notch for 2018 versions.
FaceID is an overrated tech likewise iPhone X. Absolutely nothing stops Apple from embedding touch ID on the power button or the Apple logo beneath the phone but they wanna force users to use the faceID.

It was done by a mask before and now this. More news will soon hit the news
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 15, 2017
ollah1:

Apple won't. They are even preparing for a rear notch for 2018 versions.
FaceID is an overrated tech likewise iPhone X. Absolutely nothing stops Apple from embedding touch ID on the power button or the Apple logo beneath the phone but they wanna force users to use the faceID.

It was done by a mask before and now this. More news will soon hit the news

Iris scanner on the Galaxy note 8 which is more fool proof than face id did not stop Samsung from still adding a fingerprint sensor.
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2017
greenhulk:

Irene scanner on the Galaxy note 8 which is more fool proof than face id did not stop Samsung from still adding a fingerprint sensor.

Exactly, options are always better. ALWAYS. Its part of the reason i stopped using an iPhone. Btw, I think the note 8 iris scanner is more secured than s8.

Seems you have a sexy girl named Irene grin
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 15, 2017
ollah1:

Exactly, options are always better. ALWAYS. Its part of the reason i stopped using an iPhone. Btw, I think the note 8 iris scanner is more secured than s8.

Seems you have a sexy girl named Irene grin

Lol, my bad. That was supposed to be iris scanner
Re: Iphone X Face ID Failed Again, Fails To Identify Between Mother And Son by ip2121918021(m): 4:16pm On Nov 16, 2017
Already placed an order. I don't have a twin grin

(1) (Reply)

Help me deal with flashers / Stephen Hawking, Popular Scientist, Dies At 76 / #fewHoursToGo# Speedy Solutions With Carl Care Live Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.