Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,856 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:18 AM

Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? (665 Views)

Do Ijaw Men Depend On Their Wives For Money? / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Olori Badirat Olaitan And Her Sons Stun In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by BreezusHudson: 4:05am On Nov 16, 2017
I was in a relationship and the guy was half Igbo on his mothers side, Yoruba on his fathers. His father likes me and doesn’t care about where I’m from (GH and Caribbean) meanwhile his mom let’s her sons date Caribbean girls, but we all learnt that she has girls in line for my ex and his brothe, so she doesn’t like it when it gets as far as marriage. I don’t understand that. Is it a cultural thing? Is she afraid? Is it common? Often I’ve noticed it’s almost always MIL that have some sort of issue
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by lalanice(f): 4:10am On Nov 16, 2017
and they start asking that you marry their son, most of the time the one you don't even know. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by dingbang(m): 4:20am On Nov 16, 2017
Ok he is your ex already
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by Mologi(m): 5:54am On Nov 16, 2017
It is like a rite of passage.....
Every mother want to exercise their power on who their sons spend the rest of their lives with.
But this actions are just too archaic to be still in practice.
Unless the son in question still depends on the parent for money.

I can't just imagine myself living with somebody I barely know or didn't woo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by BreezusHudson: 7:03am On Nov 16, 2017
Do you know why that is? Like I don’t understand the point of it all. And yes at the moment he’s still dependent as in he lives with her but then again he’s young so he’s still in a place where she can make decisions for him because he’s under her roof (his parents aren’t together)
Mologi:
It is like a rite of passage.....
Every mother want to exercise their power on who their sons spend the rest of their lives with.
But this actions are just too archaic to be still in practice.
Unless the son in question still depends on the parent for money.

I can't just imagine myself living with somebody I barely know or didn't woo.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by Mologi(m): 7:40am On Nov 16, 2017
BreezusHudson:
Do you know why that is? Like I don’t understand the point of it all. And yes at the moment he’s still dependent as in he lives with her but then again he’s young so he’s still in a place where she can make decisions for him because he’s under her roof (his parents aren’t together)
That explains it all....
You dating a kiddo?

Mo n wa iyawo sha!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer Choosing Wives For Their Sons? by BreezusHudson: 8:27am On Nov 16, 2017
We’re both 20. Had been dating for a year next thing, it’s over and his mom is trying to set him up with the girl she has in line for him
Mologi:

That explains it all....
You dating a kiddo?

Mo n wa iyawo sha!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

One Of The Things That Makes Me Proud Of Ndigbo / Abriba: Where Kinsmen Inherit Properties / 2 Majo Tribe In Nigeria Created By British Will Surprise You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.