Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,848 members, 7,906,121 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 05:32 AM

Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero (748 Views)

Zimbabwe Deports Nigeria Pastor / Nigerian Man In Britain Who Stabbed Mum To Death Is Sentence To Life In Prison. / Nigerian Man Smuggled Children To Britain For Prostitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by duwdu: 11:37am On Mar 23, 2010
he following story appears in the Guardian of Lagos, and I quote:

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Britain deports its five-gold medal Nigerian hero

AFTER winning five gold medals for Britain, the country is deporting disabled weightlifter Vincent Onwubiko to Nigeria because he is not qualified to live in the United Kingdom (UK), the UK Border Agency has said.

Onwubiko, 43, who suffers from polio and uses a wheelchair, was expected to be flown from London to Lagos as early as yesterday evening, The Independent newspaper said. He came to Britain in 1994 and represented Britain at the 1995 and 1997 World Wheelchair Games.

He was also selected for the 1996 Paralympics in Atlanta but could not attend. He claims that he could be dead within weeks if sent back to Nigeria. Onwubiko told The Independent: "The government has given me three months of painkillers for my return to Nigeria and told me to get on with it. But I need proper care. Sending me back is a death sentence."

He was sentenced to five months in prison for driving while disqualified after twice being convicted of careless driving. Immigrants who commit serious criminal offences are subject to automatic deportation once their sentences end. Onwubiko is being held at the Colnbrook Immigration Removal Centre, close to London Heathrow Airport.

"In light of a number of criminal convictions, Vincent Onwubiko was notified on November 13, 2007 of a decision to make a deportation order against him," the head of criminality and detentions at the United Kingdom Border Agency, David Wood, said.

"Full consideration was given to his case and the decision was reviewed and upheld by an immigration judge. His judicial review claim was found by the judge to be totally without merit.

"The UK Border Agency has not been presented with a European Court of Human Rights injunction preventing his removal and there are therefore no legal barriers to his removal from the UK."

Onwubiko has written to Prime Minister Gordon Brown asking him to look into his case.

End of quote.

Half way into reading this story, I was thinking "there we go again - another Nigerian and Nigeria being treated shabbily and unfairly." But then the rest of the story revealed the reason behind such a treatment: The man committed serious crimes in a society where he chose to live, and IMHO the man deserves the punishment prescribed by law in that (especially as it is a civilized) society. People or individuals should just stop giving the country a bad name. Further, such people/persons need to be identified as such whenever they return to our own country Nigeria and appropriate measures should be taken against them. These would serve as a deterrent, while enabling them (such miscreants) to be reformed where possible.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Kx: 11:53am On Mar 23, 2010
A nigerian is telling the world his deportation to nigeria amounts to death sentence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 23, 2010
how was he able to represent Britain without being a citizen?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by parislomo(f): 12:24pm On Mar 23, 2010
MrPrsdent:

how was he able to represent Britain without being a citizen?

my thought too
Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Kx: 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2010
will he be handed back his medals b4 he is deported?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by uktrader: 1:23pm On Mar 23, 2010
one Nigerian is being kicked out of the UK, that is wonderful news. Just another 10,000+ to go.
You all just bad news for the host country
Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 23, 2010
the guy was "easily" awarded the citizenship and, as the law states it, he can easily lose it due to criminal offences etc.
in the eyes of the law, he is still an IMMIGRANT!
Re: Britain Deports Its Five-gold Medal Nigerian Hero by uktrader: 2:18pm On Mar 24, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

the guy was "easily" awarded the citizenship and, as the law states it, he can easily lose it due to criminal offences etc.
in the eyes of the law, he is still an IMMIGRANT!

what the UK waiting for? send his ass back to the Nigeria on the first flight

(1) (Reply)

Does R*A^P"E Qualify / Another Fraudster In The House - Food For Life Project / Remembering ANINI The Thief.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.