Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,350 members, 7,978,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 07:31 PM

Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? (6149 Views)

Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by idifu(m): 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2010
dats naija 4 u bro, many yeye things happen here oo
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by axeman85(m): 4:50pm On Mar 24, 2010
its soo sad because majority of us here are talking about life expentancy, cost e.t.c but hey wait a company advertising for a position and at the same time asking for 5yrs working experience which is what most naija companies always look for when looking for new hands.  

how do they expect someone who graduated at the age of lets sayy 21 which is possibly the lowest age someone will graduate in naija university private or government then nysc at 22 and no guarantee of getting job straight away get the job when they say maximum age is 25 and somone who is above 25 and has experience cant apply becos of age.

in developed countries jobs are advertised and age isnt required at all because it can be classed as an unfair advert and the compnay mioght even be sued for discrimination under the employment act which unfortunately is not the case in naija. and its very suprising that most Hr officers in majority of these companies have bsc or msc from foreign university and know that what they are actually doing by specifying a particular age in a job advert is unfair as it doesnt leave room for much candidate to apply and at the same time meeting all the criterias wanted by the company.

personally i believe that companies in naija should eb willing to take on new graduates train them and that way the person will last long for the company and at the same time building skills and knowledge and not just be looking for a ready made product which was produced by another company. and even sef majority of these companies, want graduate, masters, 5yrs working experience, professional membership, and when it comes to pay they start talking story. they want value but not willing to pay the price that comes with it.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by usbcable(m): 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2010
dont even know what to say because its a close call of who to do with the myriads of the unemployed youths and what to do on the part of businesses that are trying to cut cost and maximise profit by hook or by crook all because the right policies and polity is not in place.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by falady: 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2010
I think this is a very good avenue to talk about this issue,i wonder how people would not reduce thier age,are they telling us that we should not work when due to the situation of things in the country,one can only finish school one is 29yrs of age.With this,some of them will want to employ 3-5yrs working xperience with master if possible,Imagine DPR,max.age 27yrs,with this,they're telling majority of the graduate that the job is not for them becos majority falls outside this age.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by Spyker: 5:56pm On Mar 24, 2010
The outcome of age discrimination is the reason every dick and harry wants to be in active Politics even when he/she does not have anything to contribute in that area.
Take a look at this
(1) No NYSC certificate, No Job: Every graduate, even those above the age of 30 now goes for service
(2) Grade Disparity in 1st degree Certificate: 2nd Class upper and above allowed to appear.
(3) Age Discrimination: Must not be above 25years of age.

They have included certifications and Masters degree as added advantage. Soon they will make PHD added advantage.

The problem started with the Age discrimination in NYSC. If the NYSC was compulsory for all graduates, i don't think we would be discussing this thread now.
STOP NYSC or MAKE IT COMPULSORY FOR ALL GRADUATES WITHOUT ANY AGE DISCRIMINATION and the rest will naturally fit in.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by Spyker: 5:59pm On Mar 24, 2010
Spyker:

every manliness and harry
shocked

Moderator, this is a serious topic, i said di.ck and harry, this automatic changing of certain words something offends the person posting. haba shocked
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by JoeGaruba: 6:32pm On Mar 24, 2010
Not sure if someone else raised this but it happens because we allow it.

Labor laws are virtually none existent. The countries that hire regardless of age/sex/religion/sexual orientation etc have laws that guarantee the citizens the rights to equal opportunity.

Labor laws in 9ja is a joke. Is it this lot in NASS that would not let the child rights bill pass that would enact laws we can enforce? I probably dont see that coming anytime soon.

There is[b] NO REASONABLE justification to discriminate based on AGE or any other yardstick[/b] if you meet the required academic qualification.

Unless we begin to agitate for employee rights to be protected by law, this will continue.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by AlColman: 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2010
It's really scary. Probably if you find yourself exceeding 26yrs by NYSC passingout, stop the waste of scarce cash on fees. Skill acquisation might help but how many can afford the additional cost without some job. From my 200 level, i struggled to become a graduate yet to serve. If i find myself in that situation, I might pick a gun & rub the poor cos the rich have security. Not really the best option but still an option. You can't decide for an employer but he needs to be considerate. Naijarianz after all blamez are aportioned, it is your responsibility to save your ass. Start small & grow big. With focus, it can be fast & genuine & will save you from superiors. Involve in discussions concerning building finance, think of buisnesses you can start with your present finance & not an amount you are yet to get, make a rule never to spend on any non-pressing need till you reach a certain financial target, remove shame & try not to neglect any right judgement. I guess it's D krim dat makes u d krim do la somtin of D krip abi? Go for it.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by oluagness(m): 8:46pm On Mar 24, 2010
Don't mind them, no wonder we have liar in our society. I kno a guy with four different certificate of birth, he adjust hee age to suit employer requirement untill he colud not adjust it. nonsence! sad
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by spoilt(f): 11:59pm On Mar 24, 2010
Over here there is no such age limits. Almost always anyway. When you make your resume there is no tribe, religion, sex, age, marital status and all the bullcrap you guys in Nigeria put on there. Mainly your name, eductaion, qualifications and career summary.

You invite someone to an interview not knowing if its a man, woman, old, young or married. What you see is what you get. That is what it should be. , . . unbiased. What is the difference between a 26 year old and a 27 year old? Most Nigerian banks peg their employment age requirement at 26. Its ridiculous. Anyway they have been hiring 40 year olds who just lie about their ages. grin
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by Kilode1: 12:27am On Mar 25, 2010
War Horse:

Guy! what is the difference between a 26 year old and a 30 year old? In my village, both are grouped within one age group.
   grin grin grin grin  that's funny but true.

it's just funny how some of our "Modern" Nigerian practices contradicts a lot our traditional ones in very senseless, very unscientific ways,  (I thought it was supposed to be the other way round).

It now seems placing these age limits on employment is so backward even our forefathers will be as shocked as the rest of the developed world.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by nethacker(m): 7:56am On Mar 25, 2010
this is a matter dat needs to be addressed by those animals-in-starched-agbadas in abuja called politicians.They will nvr bother abt it because most of their children are here studying and by the time any1 of them graduates,irrespective of age,steady job don dey for am back home.Now tell me,how will such person enact the labour law against age discrimination?If a company had been made a scape-goat by paying N500million damages just like the Nigerian navy paid damages to that madam that was harrassed in VI sometym ago. 9ja employers make it seems as if they r doing u a favour by employing u, really it sucks and needs to be addressed.While citizens are dying of hunger,unemployment,bad roads,degraded infrastructure, about $120 billion dollars kept in foreign banks by Nigeria's corrupt leaders
Dat 9ja system needs complete overhauling, embarassed embarassed
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by otukpo(f): 8:21am On Mar 25, 2010
Its abt time the National Assembly look into this age thing.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by browncocos(f): 10:08am On Mar 25, 2010
this is so sad but true!

i have a friend that finished school at 22 some 6 years ago
anyways she got married at 23 and decided to stay home with her kids
now at 28 shes had all the kids she wants to and been looking for a job for the past 1 year without any luck

this girl is the most disciplined,eloquent girl ever
i mean she is sharp,intelligent infact i rate her 90% in brains,charisma ,etiquette n all
a real dream to any employer
but how on earth will they even know this when she applies for jobs the age barrier just messes her up
i feel so sorry for her and to think she made a 2.1 in a professional course

i just dont get it

i have advised her several times to forge her age but shes too honest to do that
she looks like a 25 year old girl i swear or even younger

by the way even though she has no working experience she has been running her own business successfully for 5 years
she just feels the need to change her path and start a career since her kids are pretty independent at this age

see how brainy people are wasting away
am very sure she ll be a major asset to any establishment she joins better than a 22 year old graduate that will be trained 1st and is probably half baked

so sad what this country is turning to,
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by LBT: 11:21am On Mar 25, 2010
its not only age discrimination that is on ground now. employers will tell u dey re looking 4 universities graduate not older than 26yrs of age.
the question now is, wat hapend to polytechnics graduate? every thing has turned upside down and that is why the level of corruption is getting higher every da.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by jpphilips(m): 11:36am On Mar 25, 2010
[b]@ Poster

You are not wrong at all but as a school leaver, there are a whole lot of things that will remain an enigma till you swim in the labor market. then you can say why such happens let me be brief.

An Organization has 10 field employees, 7 men 3 women, amongst the 7 men, 5 re btw the ages of 35 to 45 while the rest 2 are young chaps btw 22 to 30. while the women are swimming in their mid thirties.
In a year, calculate how many work hours you will loose on family related issues not forgetting that the 2 females go on maternity leave at least for six months in a year?

Calculate how much the coy is spending on each staff children welfare(education,health etc) and juxtapose it with the profit made that year

Should the coy get an out of location job, amongst the 10 field personnel that are benefit bound, how many do you think you can transfer easily without paying extra on bigger guest house and a plethora of inconveniences.
going by the illustration above, i think this coy's best option lies on 2 out of 10.

How much do you think that someone with about 10yrs work experience will charge an employer be it the banking sector or oil and gas? his annual entitlement alone can service 3 or 4 chaps if i am not mistaken.

bottom line is this; the older you get, the bigger liability you are to your employer who is there to make profit not sentiments. they dont see it from the fresh graduate point of view, to me, the age thing is secondary i thought you should be talking about the ridiculous amount these freshers are paid, 20k,25k,35k etc graduates at that, yet they are the ones that do all the jobs.
Anyways what ive noticed is hire one Oga (old liability, though experienced ,of course paid well) he sits as a departmental head and directs a plethora of greenhorns (cheap labour) tasks are accomplished, the company makes profit, while the green horn with time gathers experience enough to become the oga but till then you go hear am grin grin grin  
[/b]
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by ifyegede(m): 1:34pm On Mar 25, 2010
[size=8pt]Can u therefore blame a classmate of mine who was popularly called "ancient of days" when he reduced his age to 25 yrs and was subsequently posted to Plateau state for NYSC? The job situation and requirements have made Nigerians chronic,impulsive liars.[/size]
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by WarHorse1(m): 1:41pm On Mar 25, 2010
Hello Posters

lets go positive about this issue. visit below and share your creative views to job creation in Nigeria. Nigerian could find a way to help themselves.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-419199.0.html#msg5764750
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by robin707(m): 4:38pm On Mar 25, 2010
I feel age discrimination is just an inefficient means of elimination or reducing the amount of applicants for a particular position. If most of these recruiting organisations actually seek the best minds for a particular job, then, perhaps they would increase the pool from which the choose candidates, an organisation can only be as strong as its human capital. I once had an interview with zenith bank, and immediately the lady interviewing saw me, she asked for my age, and immediately told me that i could not be hired based on my age.I was surprised and sad, i was not even given a chance to prove myself.I took it in good faith.In the end its their loss and not mine.I pray for the day all graduates in Nigeria will be employed based on their substance in knowledge and not by age.Amen.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by kaycee250(m): 1:29pm On Mar 26, 2010
this is a serious issue,the nigerian senate should do something about it because these days you see people graduating at hte age 28.
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by akinsipe(m): 7:38pm On Mar 26, 2010
Hi all. I think it's high time we dropped this "Nigerianised" paralysis of analysis. We are trying to call attention to one major source of gross inefficiencies in the Nigerian system and some people are making excuses for what underlies the erosion of an equitable society where everyone is allowed to prove their turf. The crux of the matter is not the strategy of cutting the handling costs of the employment process but providing a level playing field for all young Nigerians seeking to pursue their chosen careers. If the governments at all level initiate a process that ensures collateral inclusion of young people and the right policies, investments will naturally flow into the country and more companies will be established to provide jobs for young Nigerians given the fact that the country is well endowed with resources both natural and human to attract investments into it. In addition, financial institutions are not living up to their responsibilities as so many young Nigerian have business ideas that can be used to create employment but are bereft of finance. So instead of getting this discussion at sixes and sevens and getting it twisted, let's tackle it head on!
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by Ghredon(f): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2010
they have forgotten that ASUU strike use to add to people's age. anyway thank God i entered school at a very young age. nothing do me
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by dexmond: 10:53pm On Mar 31, 2010
Nigerian employers even encourage "over aged" people to modify their age so they can be employed!
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by gidson12(m): 6:45am On Apr 01, 2010
I fear 4 d matter o!
Re: Why The Age Discrimination On Jobs? by Syenite(m): 1:17pm On Apr 01, 2010
I was enrolled into pry. sch @ exactly age 6

I wrote my sec. sch. entrance exams @ age 12(6 yrs in pry sch.)

I wrote my SSCE/GCE @ age 18(6yrs in sec. sch.)

There was no Jamb in 1996 when I wrote WAEC So I wrote JAMB '97 @ age 19

I gained admission into the University @ age 20.

I graduated from the University @ age 25 1/2(ASUU & FG stole 1.5yrs of my life!)

I Went for Service the month I turned age 26.

I completed Service @ 27yrs.

I ENTERED THE LABOUR MARKET @ 27YRS WITHOUT FAILING ANY EXAMS IN MY LIFE NOT EVEN A CARRY-OVER IN THE UNIVERSITY!!!

I was heart broken when Some Banks and auditing firms and co were peging age @ 24-26yrs.

Thank God I never gave up .I currently work with an Oil major- a job I got when I was 28 1/2yrs old.
Prior to that I got a job with an indigenous oil servicing firm @ age 27yrs 3months(3 months after NYSC).

So if you are affected by the age thing don't worry and keep trying. Your job will meet you some day *In as much as you have a good result.* wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment At Lead City University For Academic Staff – Apply Now / Citi Bank Pay Please / UBA Aptitude Computer Test Info.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.