Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,370 members, 7,929,158 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:11 AM

Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero (7787 Views)

BREAKING! Morocco 2014: Okagbare Wins Nigeria’s First Gold Medal / EKO2012: Anambra Stripped Of Gold Medal For Fielding Cameroonian Mercenary / South Africa's 800m Gold Medal Favourite Accuse Of Being A Man Before Race (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by sley4life(m): 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
Phillip Idowu should be sent back to 9ja
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by TayoUK(m): 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2010
This Vincent guy is just plainly stupid and I think he believes he's untouchable and to some extent, he is. With good lawyer, he's not going to be deported because of his situation and the years he's been in the country. He's is automatically qualify for indefinite stay because of the years he's been here but with all his criminal records, that will be difficult.

I think stopping ALL his disability benefits will put some sense in his head! I still cant believe we are talking about a Nigerian man of 40yrs old here! What's he thinking?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Sauron1: 3:02pm On Mar 24, 2010
Becomrich/:

nobody get deport for driving rules. You people are just trying to make britain look bad. what have they done to you. Drive rule are not criminal. But under highway laws. majority of the people here have it. look. most people have traffic problem. More than 60 to 70 % of the population.

Stop acting ignorant.
If you drive under the influence, you will get jailed and if you are a repeat offender(with no status to remain in the country), you can be deported.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Tunde20197: 3:04pm On Mar 24, 2010
@ poster He was sentenced to five months in prison for driving while disqualified after twice being convicted of careless driving. Immigrants who commit serious criminal offences are subject to automatic deportation once their,
    come to think of it brothers, lets leave the brits out of this,  the man got so comfortable and completely forgot where he came from. Onwunbiko should just face the music he asked for it.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by tlops(m): 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2010
I think the moral of this post is thus:

remember there is going to be a "prisoner exchange program" btw 9ja and uk, so beware if you live in uk cos even traffic offence fit land u for 9ja oh!! shocked shocked shocked

one word is enuff 4 the wise!!!
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by femani(m): 3:33pm On Mar 24, 2010
Hw was he able to represent them without been a full citizen of Britain?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by SuRiUno: 3:35pm On Mar 24, 2010
This punishment may seem harsh, but I think the "Gold Medal" thing got to his head,

This guy should have respect for the laws of the land, he could have at least kept a low profile, especially after being convicted in 2007 for driving whilst disqualified as well as careless driving. With an immigration case pending, the last thing he wanted was to be flouting the law, one of the easiest ways of getting the attention of the police in the UK is through driving.

Driving whilst disqualified is not taken lightly, it is a blatant disobedient of the order of the court, usually, this could have resulted in a custodial sentence.

In the UK, no one is above the law, a couple of years ago, a currently serving Top police boss (chief constable) was convicted of speeding @ 90 mph in a 60 mph limit zone, he was disqualified from driving and fined.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Court_finds_South_Yorkshire_Chief_Constable_guilty_of_speeding
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by spiderman(m): 3:38pm On Mar 24, 2010
The guy should know getting his pain killers in Nigeria is the least of his problems,
if its because of the lack of drugs he thinks he's gonna die in Nigeria,
then let him know hes coming to drug heaven. even Taiwan pain killer dey!!
i think he knew what was coming to him and refused to do something about it.
crippled and getting caught for DUI offence twice, haba, which one you dey.
ol boy face am, you're coming back home.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by GEW: 3:42pm On Mar 24, 2010
spiderman:

The guy should know getting his pain killers in Nigeria is the least of his problems,
if its because of the lack of drugs he thinks he's gonna die in Nigeria,
then let him know hes coming to drug heaven. even Taiwan pain killer dey!!
i think he knew what was coming to him and refused to do something about it.
crippled and getting caught for DUI offence twice, haba, which one you dey.
ol boy face am, you're coming back home.
A BIG FOOL AT 40. i think they should change the laws for him so he can kill some people with his stupidity.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by sulad82i(m): 3:55pm On Mar 24, 2010
Break the law. Face the consequence.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by idifu(m): 4:23pm On Mar 24, 2010
law is law, no be naija wey be lawless country
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by slimes(m): 4:28pm On Mar 24, 2010
But after these years, is he not a citizen already?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by brutal(m): 4:33pm On Mar 24, 2010
Wrex:

Please,stop blaming the British government.The guy knew the law but he decided to break it,not once,not twice.Nigerians love breaking laws. Law is law.If he messes up,he should face face the music
Stop condemning nigerians. .everyone breaks d law.
D whites do more Poo.s than nigerians. .they r involve in all kinds of criminal stuffs and rob banks/shops almost on daily basis.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by r231(m): 4:34pm On Mar 24, 2010
brutal:

Stop condemning nigerians. .everyone breaks d law.
D whites do more Poo.s than nigerians. .they r involve in all kinds of criminal stuffs and rob banks/shops almost on daily basis.

whats your point
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by otawa: 4:48pm On Mar 24, 2010
Vincent committed a criminal offence. It doesn't matter if the offence was driving 1 mph over the legal speed limit of going on a killing spree in Peckham. The fact remains that he broke the law and as he is not a citizen he gets to be deported.

Blacks with their 'inferiority complex'

I did not read anywhere that he was 'illegal' immigrant

So deporting someone because of 'driving offence' is absolute CRAP.

Not even in 'police-state' is such crap of useless LAW is practiced!

There is something more they are not telling us!

I think the moral of this post is thus:
remember there is going to be a "prisoner exchange program" btw 9ja and uk, so beware if you live in uk cos even traffic offence fit land u for 9ja oh!!
one word is enuff 4 the wise!!!

Gbosa!!!
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by sesman(m): 4:51pm On Mar 24, 2010
I think the main point in defence of this man's case is the 11 year old daughter that he has in this country. Article 9 of the UN Convention on childrens rights states that "children should not be separated from their parents unless it is for their own good." Onwubiko has behaved badly and through driving dangerously m,ay have put others at risk but this does not justify a separation from his 11 year old daughter.

why did the british government allow the man to compete for great britain if his status to the uk wasn't confirmed, this all double standard if you ask me,  undecided
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by suedoh2006(m): 5:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
Follow the Law
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by otawa: 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2010
suedoh2006:

Follow the Law

can you spare us your 'regurgitated CRAP'?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Spyker: 5:40pm On Mar 24, 2010
Who says the law must be followed. Where was the law all this years he was winning them Gold and bringing fame and money to them. Selfish Britons. They use and dump people anyhow. Since 1994, is he not qualified to be a citizen of that country? How long can one stay or reside in a place that will guarantee him citizenship. This is mans wickedness to man.
I bet that is why Nigeria is like this. We borrowed the British cruel, wicked and selfish laws and now our people are afraid to come back home because we don't have a law that can qualify as a law. We have the worst leaders in the world. If that man was a Briton who won Gold for Nigeria, i believe that they would have asked him to return back as soon as possible. If nothing that can tap from his experiences in that area.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Akolawole(m): 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2010
Some facts is still hidden. For him to represent Britain, he must have been holding their passport and technically he's no more an immigrant. If he has just permanent residency, they can deport him but something is missing somewhere.

i think we need to check-up the facts of his criminal conviction.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by brutal(m): 5:50pm On Mar 24, 2010
r231:

whats your point
Ask me again?
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by c0274309: 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2010
I honestly wonder what all the fuss is about. !!! People who understand UK immigration rules will clearly see between the lines.

Remarkably I see 2 different things being asked here:

(1) Why is "Onwubiko" a man who represented UK and won medals up for deportation?
(2) Why can a UK National with dual citizenship have their UK Citizenship revoked??

Question 1:
The aforementioned "Onwubiko" came here in 1994. If he were legal he would have got his permanent residency either back in 1999 under UK asylum eligibility, or back in 2004 under the 10 years waiting residency duration for legal status holders (which a lot of foreign students do). He obviously was waiting for the 14 year criterion which is the waiting period only applicable to illegal immigrants. Conclusion -- He clearly was an illegal overstayer in the UK. The advantage he had was he comes from Nigeria which is still part of the Commonwealth giving him the loophole of competing for Britain (or any other commonwealth country of choice) at lower graded competitions. Sportsmen & women who did this in the past within the EU can request residential status if successful (which was actually a smart move if done with the right legal representatives / advisers) at an expense. He clearly did nothing causing him lose the opportunity of a lifetime.  shocked

He was selected for the Paralympics in Atlanta and could not go ----Why!!! Conclusively he had no legal status and as at that time the Selective authorities were unaware of it.  cry

On top of his illegal status he was caught driving after receiving a ban from 2 previous counts of careless driving causing him a five months jail term order. This in no way forms his reason for being deported as anyone having legal status in the UK with such convictions will under no circumstances face deportation. In his case it was a contributory cause, he basically handed immigration a reason to exonerate their actions to request his deportation from court. If he did not commit those offences his case will have remained with UK immigration till the 14 yr period had lapsed. Talk of shooting yourself in the foot after spending countless years waiting.  angry

By Law only legal foreign nationals can only be deported on the grounds of committing serious offences where imprisonment to a minimum of 1 year is issued. Serious crimes in this regard relates mostly to terrorism, Murder, Manslaughter, despoil, Burglary, Firearm possessions etc which can still be appealed. This does not apply to Illegal’s as once their sentence is served they will be deported immediately.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by c0274309: 6:18pm On Mar 24, 2010
(2) Why can a UK National with dual citizenship have their UK Citizenship revoked ??

Question 2

Deprivation of citizenship (1) For section 40(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 (c. 61) (deprivation of citizenship: prejudicing UK interests) substitute—
“(2) The Secretary of State may by order deprive a person of a citizenship status if the Secretary of State is satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good.”
(2) At the end of section 40A(3) of that Act (deprivation: appeal) add— “, and
(e) section 108 (forged document: proceedings in private).”;
(and omit the word “and” before section 40A(3)(d)).

The Immigration Act 1971 allows the Secretary of State to deport foreign nationals (including EC citizens), either on the recommendation of a judge after conviction of any serious offence punishable by imprisonment, or on his own initiative (whether or not the person has been convicted of an offence) on the grounds that his or her deportation is conducive to the public good.

Yes a UK National with dual citizneship can have their UK Citizenship revoked however this applies only in extreme cases where jail-term can go as high as life imprisonment and the only offence being implemented on this so far is "Terrorism". This has actaully been debated as it is seen as a get-out-of-jail free card for foreigners with issued life sentences in the UK where the full sentences do not need to be completed. UK Nationals without dual citizenship do not have this luxury.
The other case of UK nationality revocation is where evidence has been found that British Citizenship has been obtained by deception (mainly through false marriages) which usually carries a six month jail-term, a nationality revocation and automatic deportation once evidence has been provided in court.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by maddock(m): 6:25pm On Mar 24, 2010
Being disable does not anyway has anything to do with being careless. Assumng someone was accidentally killed by this actions of his, is it deportation we would be arguing about.Please let them bring his a## back here make him eyes clear, so that next time fear no go let am even enter vehicle. he would prefer to ride on his wheel chair.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by justwise(m): 6:28pm On Mar 24, 2010
otawa:

Blacks with their 'inferiority complex'
I did not read anywhere that he was 'illegal' immigrant
So deporting someone because of 'driving offence' is absolute CRAP.
Not even in 'police-state' is such crap of useless LAW is practiced
!
There is something more they are not telling us!
[b]I think the moral of this post is thus:
remember there is going to be a "prisoner exchange program" btw 9ja and uk, so beware if you live in uk cos even traffic offence fit land u for 9ja oh!! one word is enuff 4 the wise!!![/b]Gbosa!!!

Have you been sleeping or smoking something strong? If have no regard for law then somebody somewhere does
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by newdeal(m): 6:40pm On Mar 24, 2010
It might appear a little too harsh given the guy's condition, but of what use is any law if it can be hampered by sentiments?
The best way to avoid this kind of situation was to have prevented it from arising in the first place
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by ayettymama(f): 6:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
My only problem is the fact he represented britain

they should snatch back the medals

no a britich citizen cannot be deported if they commit a crime

you will be prosecuted like a british citizen

the only way they will strip you of the nationality

is if they have reason to believe u lied on ur application

or u obtained it in a fraudulent way----- which mite be the case

they dont just deport people for drunk drivin gimme jokes

the story is un real--- there are illegal murderers here that they havent finished deporting!

the story is either false or is missing alot!
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Wallie(m): 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2010
Traffic offence or not, what really matters is that the crime he’s convicted of is serious enough to warrant deportation. Here, serious crimes are considered felonies and even though there are various degrees, a felony is still a felony.

It makes very little difference if your felony is a result of drunk driving or maiming someone with malice; you’re still screwed the same.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by Anaegboka(m): 9:14pm On Mar 24, 2010
If he comes back empty handed, thats when his sorrow will really begin. I wish our legal system can be this blind to peoples status when carrying out justice.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by JoeGaruba: 10:39pm On Mar 24, 2010
Trust a brother to wreck a winning formula . The law must be upheld. There is no sympathy for him for being a repeat offender. All thos e angry at the British should take him in. Its their land and they can do what they like.

Green card holders in the US risk being denied citizenship or even get deported if they have a DUI/DWI (driving under influence) on their record.

This is a country where one human life is valued, protected and respected. If he runs a red and kills a pedestrian (child, mother or even a family) at a crossing elsewhere on the roads, they will prosecute all who should have sent him home and sack them. I guess they love their jobs and worked hard to get it so they did the right thing.

This probably explains why we are where we are in 9ja if some can still come to his defense. cry

He should come and be driving rough in 9ja.
Re: Britain Deports Its Five Gold Medal Nigerian Hero by JoeGaruba: 10:54pm On Mar 24, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

French Montana Touches Amber Rose's Butt As They Frolic At The Beach (photos) / Youngest Player On The Afcon(photo) / Emmanuel Okala Is Nigeria's 1st African Footballer Of The Year And Not Yekini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.