Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,102 members, 7,973,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 02:01 AM

Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety (6531 Views)

Cowardice: Police, Others Scamper For Safety As Tyre Explodes In Ikeja, Lagos / Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege / Multiple Explosions In Kano, As People Scamper For Safety. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Fhemmmy: 3:44pm On Mar 25, 2010
Lol . . . .Now this is funny and a good laff of the week.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by safeact(m): 3:49pm On Mar 25, 2010
@hardywaltz, so d u and d chic scampered to ur house for safety in fear of d so called acidic rain? How many hours did u guys stayed b4 ur acid rain stopped? See what acid rain has caused! lol. (shakes head and leaves)
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Hoteph(m): 3:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
This acid rain sef person go run enter him enemy house to take cover , Funny
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On Mar 25, 2010
safeact:

@hardywaltz, so d u and d chic scampered to your house for safety in fear of d so called acidic rain? How many hours did u guys stayed b4 your acid rain stopped? See what acid rain has caused! lol. (shakes head and leaves)

People has bad mind sha
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by jpphilips(m): 4:11pm On Mar 25, 2010
Sure, acid rain is a real phenomenon. It occurs when rain falls in an atmosphere with a high carbon dioxide content. The mixture is a very weak acid which does no appreciable harm even to the human skin (if any at all). If acid rains were that corrosive, the Chinese and Indians would be the most noticeable victims due to the high levels of pollution in their atmosphere as a result of industrialization. Truly, 'my people perish because they lack knowledge.'

Going by your carbon dioxide theory, carbonated drinks (aka soft drinks) are all Acid Minerals grin grin grin grin grin

Isn't it obvious you are perishing more than your people embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by hardywaltz(m): 4:12pm On Mar 25, 2010
Well the rain lasted for less than 30mins but for me it lasted longer.
Got to Abuja this morning but itching to get back to PH city and continue Acid-Rain hunting.
PH guyz please listen attentively to wheather forecast for rain, invite a chic, towards that tym and be sure she ain't going anywhere, lol There's actually a good side to all this.
Send down the rain, (singing)
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by agathamari(f): 4:22pm On Mar 25, 2010
jp philips:

Going by your carbon dioxide theory, carbonated drinks (aka soft drinks) are all Acid Minerals grin grin grin grin grin

Isn't it obvious you are perishing more than your people embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

soda is acidic, alot of the things you eat/drink are (more so then acid rain as a matter of fact)
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by safeact(m): 4:26pm On Mar 25, 2010
@hardywaltz,.(laugh) just fell off my seat while laughing! Mayb u should get back to PH,and dis time visit a rain maker while u target ur goal then signal him to send down d rain. Enjoy while d offer last shaa after all some people took advantage of d ailing president to loot our national treasure! Take adv of every opportunity and never let it pass u after all u r a nigerian.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by tokunegiye(m): 4:29pm On Mar 25, 2010
me i am still waiting for the effect of the acid rain
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Mobinga: 4:36pm On Mar 25, 2010
You guys should stop talking thrash! Acid rain is not dangerous this one that one. Shut up! On wednesday I was on my way home then the rain started, it was scary when everyone started runnin. At first i was scared and ran to shelter after 5 mins of standing with an extremely hideous girl I decided to walk home despite the rain, as the rain continued to pour i started noticing white patches on my skin at first I thought it was just hysteria till i started seeing tiny white stones on cars. Despite the fact that I don't believe that it causes cancer, I did the first thing on my mind when I got home. An Hour Long Shower! cheesy
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain. Does this appear any dirty?

Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by ichommy(m): 4:52pm On Mar 25, 2010
sun_temi:

Acid rain ko base rain ni e don dey fall here in Ikeja in Lagos infact I go use am drink Garri make I see how it taste with Eja didin

LOL @ sun temi you kill me ooo Nigeria people grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Bawss1(m): 4:54pm On Mar 25, 2010
Its the[b] "Home video/African Magic mentality"[/b] that gave rise to this acid rain nonsense amongst Nigerians.

You see why people shouldn't watch those silly movies, they encourage people to believe the ludicrous!
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Mar 25, 2010
Nigeria people no wanna die oh and yet they wanna go to heaven . . .
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by jpphilips(m): 5:19pm On Mar 25, 2010
soda is acidic, alot of the things you eat/drink are (more so then acid rain as a matter of fact)

Acidic enough to corrode iron,wear away statue,cause skin cancer etc have you even bothered to find the diff btw organic and inorganic acids?
have you taken time to find the Ph of Krest as a carbonated drink?
Anyways school fees are either paid or , , now tell us what exactly happened to yours? grin
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by samBassey(m): 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2010
what is going to happen to our farm product. cos am a farmer whom depend on my farm for survival. sam bassey
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by kevoh(m): 5:34pm On Mar 25, 2010
hardywaltz:

Ph City  always had acid rains, though not in the manner been portrayed.
For those of you in doubt, when you roof a house in PH, it doesn't matter if its zinc, cameroon zinc, long span etc, it just corrodes or changes colour within a very short period compared to other cities say Enugu or Benin, due to the high carbon and sulphur content residue in the rain.
Yesterday shaa was just the height of ignorance when i saw everyone running for shelter, but as they say bad for others good for you. A lovely chic in spaghetti begged me profusely for a ride when it was about to rain, well i kept my opinions to myself and joined the ignorant group by quickly saving her from cancer and from there, lol
Come ur story never finish,oya complete it,
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Fhemmmy: 5:35pm On Mar 25, 2010
sam Bassey:

what is going to happen to our farm product. cos am a farmer whom depend on my farm for survival. sam bassey

We will still be eating well
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by sley4life(m): 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2010
No fear for acid rain. Abeg acid no dey inside the rain. Those wey get ears make dem hear
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by kaycee250(m): 5:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
The bible said that my people perish because the lack knowledge.Indeed ignorance is a very big disease.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by alldone(m): 6:08pm On Mar 25, 2010
whether true or false people took cover. safety first.
you wont want to be in a rain doo?
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Gunnaz007: 6:13pm On Mar 25, 2010
hardywaltz:

Ph City  always had acid rains, though not in the manner been portrayed.
For those of you in doubt, when you roof a house in PH, it doesn't matter if its zinc, cameroon zinc, long span etc, it just corrodes or changes colour within a very short period compared to other cities say Enugu or Benin, due to the high carbon and sulphur content residue in the rain.
Yesterday shaa was just the height of ignorance when i saw everyone running for shelter, but as they say bad for others good for you. A lovely chic in spaghetti begged me profusely for a ride when it was about to rain, well i kept my opinions to myself and joined the ignorant group by quickly saving her from cancer and from there, lol

haba hardy, u havent told us were the ride with this spaghetti chic ended, hope not on a table top in your office, lol cheesy wink cheesy
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by JoeGaruba: 6:18pm On Mar 25, 2010
Lets bust this myth once and for all

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/what/index.html

for those with slow internet or on mobile phones, I will reproduce some of that,

"Acid rain" is a broad term referring to a mixture of wet and dry deposition (deposited material) from the atmosphere containing higher than normal amounts of nitric and sulfuric acids. The precursors, or chemical forerunners, of acid rain formation result from both natural sources, such as volcanoes and decaying vegetation, and man-made sources, primarily emissions of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) resulting from fossil fuel combustion. In the United States, roughly 2/3 of all SO2 and 1/4 of all NOx  come from electric power generation that relies on burning fossil fuels, like coal.  Acid rain occurs when these gases react in the atmosphere with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form various acidic compounds. The result is a mild solution of sulfuric acid and nitric acid. When sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released from power plants and other sources, prevailing winds blow these compounds across state and national borders, sometimes over hundreds of miles.
~EPA

Effects of Acid Rain - Human Health

Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.

Based on health concerns, SO2 and NOx have historically been regulated under the Clean Air Act, including the Acid Rain Program. In the eastern U.S., sulfate aerosols make up about 25 percent of fine particles. By lowering SO2 and NOx emissions from power generation, the Acid Rain Program will reduce the levels of fine sulfate and nitrate particles and so reduce the incidence and the severity of these health problems. When fully implemented by the year 2010, the public health benefits of the Acid Rain Program are estimated to be valued at $50 billion annually, due to decreased mortality, hospital admissions, and emergency room visits.

Decreases in NOx emissions are also expected to have a beneficial impact on human health by reducing the nitrogen oxides available to react with volatile organic compounds and form ozone. Ozone impacts on human health include a number of morbidity and mortality risks associated with lung inflammation, including asthma and emphysema.

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html

We are not industrialized enough to be sending the gases that lead to it into the atmosphere.

In the age of Google, nobody should call a dog a monkey for any body  grin
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Yusjayz: 6:48pm On Mar 25, 2010
What about the nothern part of the country,'ll they going to xperiance the same disester?
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by JoeGaruba: 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2010
Menini ?
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by detopshot(m): 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2010
Lol, Haven't you heard those that ran? they are orange sellers and vulcanizers
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by detopshot(m): 7:32pm On Mar 25, 2010
@Joe: akwäi ruwa mäna, ba whahalä.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by bawomolo(m): 7:42pm On Mar 25, 2010
lol Nigeria would believe anything.

when nigerians think acid, they think hydrochloric acid and not the ones you eat in apples
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Rastamann: 7:52pm On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain? who rain the rain? Abegi, make una no make people get herat attack top on the naija suffereings.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by JoeGaruba: 7:53pm On Mar 25, 2010
Drinking too much water can kill sef.

This should stop people from drinking water ko? Kawai, Nigeria hard o lol

I remember the fears of genit al snatching years ago. Molue and buses felt it. Men had hands in pockeT constantly checking their staff of office in public transport. We are veRy gullible people.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by agathamari(f): 8:54pm On Mar 25, 2010
jp philips:

Acidic enough to corrode iron,wear away statue,cause skin cancer etc have you even bothered to find the diff btw organic and inorganic acids?
have you taken time to find the Ph of Krest as a carbonated drink?
Anyways school fees are either paid or , , now tell us what exactly happened to yours? grin
what are you rambling about.  i didnt go to school in nigeria, i went to school in the US.  and yes soda can disolve metal, wear away stone, porcelain and enamal. as for cancer you need to do you research of what causes skin cancer since obviously you havent.  acid rain is technicaly an organic acid (as is what is found in soda) and can occur naturaly as well as due to man made causes (polution).  the ph of rain water is 5.5  acid rain is 4.8-5.4.  the ph of soda is 2.5-3.0.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by darqly(m): 9:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
Yawn. If people perish for lack of knowledge, Nigerians are an extinct breed already. Such ignorance and illiteracy is hard to fathom. 'Chai' as they say.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture: The Girl Who Is The Jamaica Minister Of Youth And Culture. / The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) / PDP Alerts Of Plot By APC To Frame Atiku For Gun Running

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.