Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,125 members, 7,896,812 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:20 PM

Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council (826 Views)

South Africa Invites Foreign Students To Become "New South Africans" / Nigeria Causes Palestinian Statehood To Fail At UN Security Council / To Keep the top job Zuma offers twelve cows to ancestors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council by ichommy(m): 5:45pm On Mar 26, 2010
Universities in the UK should beware of treating overseas students as "cash cows", the British Council has warned.

The council said universities might be tempted to enrol more non-European students - who can be charged full fees - to plug holes in declining budgets.

It said "crude" international recruitment drives could undermine the reputation of UK higher education.

The warning comes as the sector faces a period of funding cuts and record numbers of applications for courses.

In England, universities face real terms budget cuts next year of 1.1% and Welsh universities are likely to face a major review into how they are run, to ensure they deliver value for money.

Scottish Universities have been told they will have a 1.2% increase on funding.

The squeeze on funding coincides with record numbers of young people applying to university.

Figures published last month by university admissions service, Ucas, showed a 22.9% increase in applications this year on last year.

Fees of £32,000

The British Council fears this squeeze on funding, as well as a government-imposed cap on the number of places that can be offered to home students, will encourage universities to recruit from outside of Europe.

Indeed, the number of international students coming to the UK to study is steadily rising.

Official figures show that in 2007-08, there were 229,640 students in the UK from outside the European Union, compared with 117,290 in 1998-99.

And research by the vice-chancellors' group, Universities UK, found fees for these students ranged from about £8,500 to more than £32,000, depending on the course.

The council said the "significant economic value" of these students to UK universities could not be denied, but warned against treating them "like an export industry".

British Council chief executive Martin Davidson said: "It would be seriously counter-productive and, in the long run, potentially self-defeating, for universities to focus on intensifying student recruitment drives as a knee-jerk reaction to current financial difficulties and state funding cuts.

"International students have more study options today than ever before, and in an internet-connected world word quickly spreads when it appears a university regards them as little more than 'cash cows'.

"In today's rapidly evolving marketplace, overseas governments will react against foreign universities that are clearly only interested in recruiting students from their country and giving nothing in return."

The council is raising its concerns at its international education conference, Going Global, in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8584819.stm
Re: Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council by ElRazur: 12:17am On Mar 27, 2010
Already too late in my opinion. I worked in one of the world's famous art university and it is bizzare to see how majority of the students are from Asia. Needless to say it makes sense once I found their yearly fees ranges from 10k to 15k.  It is also disgraceful that these student hardly speak a word of English - yet lectures and notes are all in English.

The cuts in all sector will see more preferences given to overseas student as these universities are like business outlets now. I just hope it will not devalued the education sector.
Re: Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council by olabukola: 4:58pm On Mar 30, 2010
ElRazur:

Already too late in my opinion. I worked in one of the world's famous art university and it is bizzare to see how majority of the students are from Asia. Needless to say it makes sense once I found their yearly fees ranges from 10k to 15k. It is also disgraceful that these student hardly speak a word of English - yet lectures and notes are all in English.
The cuts in all sector will see more preferences given to overseas student as these universities are like business outlets now. I just hope it will not devalued the education sector.
UK education system is devalued already. How can a chinese student that speaks liitle english graduate from an english university. Add that to the highlighted and figure for yourself. UK unis are after the money now, Once you can afford the pay you are in.
Re: Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council by ElRazur: 6:28pm On Mar 30, 2010
olabukola:

UK education system is devalued already. How can a chinese student that speaks liitle english graduate from an english university. Add that to the highlighted and figure for yourself. UK unis are after the money now, Once you can afford the pay you are in.

It is hard to say if it is devalued. I only worked in that University. Remember, there are over 300 universities or so in the UK. Hence the action of one may not be a true reflection.

Also, bear in mind that it is an Art university I worked in.
Re: Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council by AjanleKoko: 1:00am On Mar 31, 2010
Well, devalued or not, the recent penchant for these British schools to hit the road on ridiculous and absurd promo tours (two or so fairs in Lagos this year alone) leaves a lot to be desired.
The absurdity of it is that Nigerian students are trooping back in droves after their degree. Means the original intent of most Africans wanting to go to those schools (escape from Africa) is being gradually  defeated. I see a significant drop coming in Nigerian enrolment in UK universities over the next five years.
Re: Foreign Students Not 'cash Cows', Says British Council by MandingoII(m): 4:47am On Mar 31, 2010
Universities in the states have been relying on foreign students for years. It is even worse now since tuition have jumped in some states 20 - 39%!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

so if you got the money, of can fake like you do, the U.S. Colleges and Universities ares yours for the take.

(1) (Reply)

Impeach Western Stooge French Lackey Goodluck Jonathan / Libya Rebel Leader Had Al Qaeda Ties / New Interim Libyan Prime Minister Named:abdel-rahim El-kib

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.