Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,818 members, 7,918,636 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 01:07 PM

WizKid is the new Fela-opinion - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / WizKid is the new Fela-opinion (2063 Views)

Nigerians Hails Rapper Falz, Calls Him New Fela After Dropping 'talk' Video / Wizkid Is Just A Wavy God With Comeback Trendy Hairdo [PICS] / Wizkid Is Sick, Cancels His Tour And Begs His Fans To Pray For Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 30, 2017
STILL ON WIZKID‎(THE NEW FELA?) by simon utsu
Few months into the new year, I remember sharing an opinion on (facebook) which didn't go down well with a number of folks. I stated in clear terms with facts that Wizkid was a bigger and arguably a better musician than 2Face.‎ A couple of people even went personal on me on that thread. Haven't I been vindicated? In the history of the highly coveted MOBO awards, no African artiste has ever been nominated talk more of won it. What Wizkid achieved yesternight was unprecedented! By winning that award, he succeeded in putting his feet firmly on the international music scene. On twitter, I saw the handles of major music labels in the US congratulating him. What that means is, he would even have a bigger year(than ever) next year.
And I'm still very sure that Nigerians as usual will still believe he isn't the best. According to a number of Nigerian music lovers, to be the best, you must be humble (like 2Face) and your lyrics must make‎ 'so much sense'(like 2Face's). They keep forgetting that a lyric is just a secondary component of music. They keep forgetting that sound is the #1 component. Without lyrics, a song can still make sense but add lyrics and subtract sound and you have yourself a poem and not music. Angelique Kidjo won the Grammy award in the mid 90s with Wombolombo which was a beautiful sound made up of very basic lyrics(Have you ever seen this man moving...) repeated throughout. Musicians like Enya and Enigma only need to hum or utter some harmonious sounds on their compositions to make beautiful music. Nigerians need to rise up against petty sentiments for once and support their own. It's disrespectful to keep comparing Wizkid with Davido- to be fair to the latter, he's above average but isn't fit to be placed on the same pedestal with Wizkid. Tis just like saying Obasanjo who is a great leader in his own rights is on Mandela's level. Well, I also understand such controversies are created and fuelled by the media in order to keep selling content. In the 1960s, there was an all conquering boy/family band called the Jackson-5(Michael Jackson and brothers). When their dominance became too much, the media started pitching them with an average boy/family band called "the Osmonds" just to keep creating controversy and hence, sell content in the process. The same way the media also created rivalry between the older Michael Jackson and music legend Prince.

In the next two years, Wizkid is going to bring home a Grammy or two. Once again, congrats my young friend. Continue making Africa proud.‎

source-http://www.metrodailies.com/wizkid-new-fela-opinion/

1 Share

Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 30, 2017
cc:lalasticlala
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by fuckingAyaya(m): 6:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
Wizkid that sings about women,alcohol and money you want to use to compare the prophet.Human rights activists,freedom fighter that saw tomorrow.the G.O.A.T.wizkid is not in the same level with femi kuti #facts

1 Like

Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by gurunlocker: 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2017
fuckingAyaya:
Wizkid that sings about women,alcohol and money you want to use to compare the prophet.Human rights activists,freedom fighter that saw tomorrow.the G.O.A.T.wizkid is not in the same level with femi kuti #facts

This is similar to what I want to post, so I will just quote you... It's insulting comparing fela and wizkid.
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 30, 2017
gurunlocker:

This is similar to what I want to post, so I will just quote you... It's insulting comparing fela and wizkid.

grin grin na ur compare
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 30, 2017
New fela new fela ni
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by biyitolu(m): 8:08pm On Nov 30, 2017
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by fuckingAyaya(m): 7:12am On Dec 01, 2017
gurunlocker:

sorry were did I insult you? In what I posted
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Foxrain: 7:31am On Dec 01, 2017
Who wrote this senseless article, are you high on ijeshu weed.
First off, African queen by two face is a classic, none of wizkid's songs will be remembered in the next 5 years.
Africans were always getting nominated in mobo awards, p square, d banj, even falz have been nominated at some point.
Fela sang about important issues, don't shame him by comparing him to wizkid .
Fela was a social activist,tough as a hammer, wizkid is a boy who got scared after Linda ikeji arrested him once.
Don't shame the spirit of Fela
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Sharplakezy(m): 7:58am On Dec 01, 2017
All you can say about fella is him being an activists. we are talking about music here. if fella was leaving, i swear none of you would listen to him. Femi kuti that release his recent song about government, how many of you downloaded it? many of you that didn't meet fella would come here and start saying things you don't know about him. its this same wizkid you all listen to. how many of you have fella's song on your phone. the people getting Grammy this day, are they an activists. what are they singing about. wizkid is just giving you all what you want. someone like Ibrymo that preaches with his song, why is he is not blown?? because he is not singing about what you all want. o.p made a good point. what op meant by "he is the new fella", is not about comparing him to fella. but trying to see the young boy achievement.

1 Like

Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 01, 2017
Sharplakezy:
All you can say about fella is him being an activists. we are talking about music here. if fella was leaving, i swear none of you would listen to him. Femi kuti that release his recent song about government, how many of you downloaded it? many of you that didn't meet fella would come here and start saying things you don't know about him. its this same wizkid you all listen to. how many of you have fella's song on your phone. the people getting Grammy this day, are they an activists. what are they singing about. wizkid is just giving you all what you want. someone like Ibrymo that preaches with his song, why is he is not blown?? because he is not singing about what you all want. o.p made a good point. what op meant by "he is the new fella", is not about comparing him to fella. but trying to see the young boy achievement.
bloody truth..lalasticlala abeg come oh

1 Like

Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by OKorowanta: 8:25am On Dec 01, 2017
Sharplakezy:

Well said..
Two big stout for you and 3 Indian virgins.

2 Likes

Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 01, 2017
OKorowanta:

Well said..
Two big stout for you and 3 Indian virgins.
lol
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by gurunlocker: 11:17am On Dec 01, 2017
fuckingAyaya:
sorry were did I insult you? In what I posted

Lol... I didn't say you insult me bro, I said its insulting for those comparing fela and wizkid.
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 03, 2017
gurunlocker:

Lol... I didn't say you insult me bro, I said its insulting for those comparing fela and wizkid.
lol
Re: WizKid is the new Fela-opinion by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 13, 2017
Bumps

(1) (Reply)

Photos From Former Clinic Matters Actress Nurse Titi's Pre Wedding Shoot / Caroline Danjuma Reveals Tagbo's Replacement / #bbnaija: Bambam Seals Her First Endorsement Deal As An Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.