Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,765 members, 7,962,531 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

Our Eldorado - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Our Eldorado (671 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Eldorado by jeshurun07: 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2010
The result of the last NECO wherein 98% of those who sat for the exam failed to secure 5 credits including maths and English, apart from being a national embarrassment should cause any right thinking Nigerian to start thinking of what went wrong and how this situation be corrected before thins get out of hand.

As a concerned and a stakeholder in Nigeria, i believe where we got it wrong is that fact that we don't have a clear picture of how our education system should operate and what should be expected of citizens who have passed through the 4 walls of any of educational institution in this great country.

In view of this, i want to share what i believe those at the helms of affair of our education should work towards. Contrary opinions and contributions are welcome. However i want to state that any contribution should be made in a manner that would benefit us all. OUR FUTURE IS AT STAKE HERE!

First i think we must all work towards making education free at least up to secondary school level at best up to Bachelor's degree level. Education is a long term investment and believe me if this can be achieved, this country would never be the same again. If Awolowo could achieve that in the south-west and that region still remains the most developed region in Nigeria till date, i don't believe this cannot be reproduced on a national level. The main arguments against free education has always been that someone has to pay for it but i believe Nigeria as a nation can afford it why? Because if in the 60's the tax from agriculture could pay for education in the south-west region then i believe with the proceeds from crude oil, there is no way we cannot pay for the education of every able bodied Nigerian. What it would take is political will on the part of our leaders which is why we must not relent on fighting for credible elections where we can choose leaders who can think and act.

what do u think? More to come later

(1) (Reply)

Info Needed: 2009/2010 Unijos Direct Entry / Having Problems With Unilorin Post Jamb E-tranzact Pin / You Are Informed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.