Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,783 members, 7,909,009 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 03:54 PM

What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? (1074 Views)

Ex-Husband Gives Current Husband Appreciation Gift For Taking Care Of His Kids / Mom Shows Her Son What It Feels Like Taking Care Of A Baby (Pics) / "Stop Congratulating Men For Taking Care Of Their Children " - Lady Argues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by Floyd45(m): 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2017
I have been meaning to post and about this topic for a while. I finally quit the procrastination and decided to put it out there.
I am currently taking caring of my Old man who is about 75 years and battling a disease. It can be challenging and some times i wish i could just up and run away. But then again I know nobody wishes to find themselves in a situation where they are helpless and at the mercy of others.
Life can be funny and complicated. It sometimes makes me question what the whole essence of the struggle, hustle and bustle is, only to end up old and die.
Anytime I have a malaria attack and feel completely useless, i think of my old man who has been battling this disease for years and I break down, trying to put my self in his shoes. It makes me feel sad for, knowing the feeling of frustration and depression he battles with.
One thing i constantly try to take away from his situation is to do whatever it is you want to do NOW while you have the strength and wiliness to do it. You don't want to end up regretting why you never made that move or why you never took a certain decision.
At the end of the day, life screws us all (Pardon my french)

What's your own experience with aged parents? Advice and suggestions are welcomed.
Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by TheMainMan: 9:50pm On Dec 01, 2017
he is your responsibility.. never leave him coz one day u will also grow old

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by dollyjoy(f): 9:53pm On Dec 01, 2017
Stayed briefly with my grand ma way back. Mehn!! She can talk angry. Nothing you do ever pleases her. It was really frustrating. embarassed

I love her still kiss. God bless her soul!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by LadySarah: 3:07am On Dec 02, 2017
I travelled down to see my mum and her mom ,my grandma in her 90s.Just have my maternal grqndma left and i'm enjoying taking care of her.she is still very strong and lifts my kids very well infact most times they run to her for succor and play especially my 7 mth old who leaps up with joy each time he sees her and crawl runs to her.

she has buried 4 of her kids that would have been grandmas today including her only son that came after 6 females only to die 5 days to his TM.It broke her but she was mended...

She goes for miles during her evening/morning walks (doent use walking stick/glasses)which the doc advised,you could even see her where youll pay a TFare of #100 to get to and is addicted to peanuts and sugary drinks including sugar itself.

Though i dont wish to be so old like her,i want God to bless me with her kind of health which is why i go out of my way to make her happy like she buys a packet of sugar to lick regularly yet no sickness not even malaria.

Nowadays ,she likes to gist me abt mgbeke and mgborie ,ppl my mom said died even before she was born.she also talks abt dying everytime that all her mates a re gone so i'm taking pics of her and my kids which will be on the burial bio book.she has been interviwed abt her life and has also gone for a photoshoot against her burial

sadly ,for the past 2 wks shes been down with cough and i know she'll bounce back like her usual self.she can dance and gossip eehn...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by Floyd45(m): 8:49am On Dec 02, 2017
dollyjoy:
Stayed briefly with my grand ma way back. Mehn!! She can talk angry. Nothing you do ever pleases her. It was really frustrating. embarassed

I love her still kiss. God bless her soul!

I wish I had the opportunity to have stayed with any of my grandparents. I only got to visit them during long holidays. I recently just started going through some of my grandfather's old stuffs. He loved to document and archived every little thing. I'm currently going through his library of old VHS cassette. They include my parents wedding ceremony and all my uncle's and aunts that got married before he passed away. He recorded old TV shows like Village headmaster, The minister, cocktail crow at dawn and so many others. It's been over 20 years since he passed and all this contents are still intact without any problems.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by Floyd45(m): 8:53am On Dec 02, 2017
LadySarah:

sadly ,for the past 2 wks shes been down with cough and i know she'll bounce back like her usual self.she can dance and gossip eehn...

Some of them get to be strong and full of life up till their last breath. That's what we all ultimately wish for, to get old and strong in good health.
I pray she get well and back on her feet.
Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by LadySarah: 11:54am On Dec 02, 2017
Floyd45:

Some of them get to be strong and full of life up till their last breath. That's what we all ultimately wish for, to get old and strong in good health.
I pray she get well and back on her feet.

Aww.thanks for your prayers
Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by Lubebay: 5:41am On Oct 10, 2018
Challenging but I gat do it. No one will do it for me
Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by Acidosis(m): 7:17am On Oct 10, 2018
Life can be funny and complicated. It sometimes makes me question what the whole essence of the struggle, hustle and bustle is, only to end up old and die.
Anytime I have a malaria attack and feel completely useless, i think of my old man who has been battling this disease for years and I break down, trying to put my self in his shoes. It makes me feel sad for, knowing the feeling of frustration and depression he battles with.
One thing i constantly try to take away from his situation is to do whatever it is you want to do NOW while you have the strength and wiliness to do it. You don't want to end up regretting why you never made that move or why you never took a certain decision.
At the end of the day, life screws us all (Pardon my french)

Re: What's Your Experience With Taking Care Of Aged Parents? by ImaIma1(f): 3:58pm On Oct 10, 2018
Nice post.

My dad was ill for 7yrs before he passed on. So we had work on our hands. He stopped talking and hardly recognized anyone. His friend would visit him and cry. Funny thing is that this friend died before him.

I remember having to feed him to make sure he eats. And if i was the one feeding him, i made sure the food was well garnished with onions, tomatoes, etc and also made sure it was peppery for him to enjoy it...he loved pepper. It waa not easy having to see him unable to move around and do things for himself. But my mum was very much with him till the end.

My mum lost a lot of herself and energy/health taking care of him. Soon after he passed on, her illness kicked in and she was usually quiet but always wanting to move around. One time someone saw her far away from the house and told us. It had already started raining. I took an umbrella and ran looking for her.

She said she wanted to take a stroll but got tired along the way. She eventually stopped moving around and also passed on. Aged folks need care and love though they can be very stubborn and heady..

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Quality Imported Turkish Home Furniture. / At What Age Should Male Children Stop Sleeping In Same Bed With The Mother / Help! Ulcer And Typhoid Is Putting My Mum Under Serious Discomfort

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.