Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,838 members, 7,886,239 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 06:28 AM

Who Is Oduduwa? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is Oduduwa? (3895 Views)

As A True Believer, Can You Get Biafra, Oduduwa, Arewa To Do This? / Oduduwa Is Not From Saudi Arabia Nor Egypt....let Settle It Here.... / Satanic Pastors/Imams Amongst The Aku (aka Ọmọ Oduduwa) By Feyisetan Opeyemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Oduduwa? by vaxx: 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
People are often confused about Oduduwa because he seems to overlap with Obatala. This is because they don't understand what Oduduwa is in IFA.

Oduduwa was once a man who saw that there was something chaotic about the world and that his world was in danger. He lived during the 8th-century bce when the Asiatics were rivaling Kemet and Kush for power. The Meshwesh (northwest Africans) were allying with the Asiatics and causing Lower Kemet to become a disaster zone. As the gates of Africa, Lower Kemet had to be secure. Something had to be done.

Oduduwa then joined the Kushite army of Piankhi and fought against the Asiatics. He saw that he must protect the gates of Africa (lower Kemet) because if the Asiatics got in, they would war all the way to West Africa.

Oduduwa returned to West Africa and established the first organized military-government. Before this, the nations had no military but were lead by a council of peace driven elders (Obatala). Though peace is cute, it is utopian and unrealistic. It had to be replaced by something more useful.

This replacement was not pure war, but a balance between peace and war. This is why Oduduwa's name means "Olu Dudu Iwa," or "Black Lord of Balanced Character."

Become Oduduwa, Become the Balance that brings change.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by FMCASH(m): 1:16pm On Feb 11, 2018
Can you explain the chain philosophy, or you mean he came back with chain after the war. What about the Fulani war he conquer at is arrival to ife?
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by vaxx: 2:09pm On Feb 11, 2018
The chain is actually a symbolic representation.

Before oduduwa arrival, the Yoruba had no actual king but were led by a council of babalawo (the Ogboni), headed by the head priest of Obatala. They were amongst the last people on Earth to never have engaged in war. While they lived a state of pure peace, Oduduwa understood the nature of war, something that was becoming increasingly present in Africa at the time stimulated by Asiatic invasions. He understood this because he was a great prince who had traveled across the continent seeking the joys of adventure.

When he traveled east to the Nok trading partner, Kush, due to his excellent skills in battle, he was conscripted by Pharaoh Piankhi to help him defend Africa. While the Black Carthaginians (called the 24th-Dynasty Meshwesh) had controlled Kemet for some time, their last king sought to ally with the Asiatics in exploiting Kemet. Oduduwa then joined Piankhi's army and they expelled the Asiatics and forced the Carthaginian Meshwesh princes to submit to Kushite leadership. This was the first time Oduduwa witness the ways of the Asiatics and the degree of blood-thirstiness in their war tactics. He then fled back to Nok to report what was happening at the gates of Africa. FMCASH

He was then informed by the wise elders that the Asiatics are relentless and will eventually make their way through the gates of Africa in Kemet and march on to destroy the birthplace of wisdom, Ife, the holiest place on Earth.

Long before this could occur, Oduduwa set to establish a kingship in Ife that would maintain the first spiritual system of humankind but also involve the militaristic and political governance that could defend Ife when the time arrived.

Oduduwa successfully established Ife's first military and the beginnings of kingship in alliance with the priesthood were born. This became known as the Oduduwa Dynasty for his sons were assigned leadership of various city-states throughout Ancient Nigeria, even outside of Yorubaland. For instance, it was his son Oranmiyan who was sent to Benin City and left them an heir to rule in his place, Eweka. It is through Eweka that the Benin kings are linked to Oduduwa and the Yoruba culture as a whole.

Though the Yoruba had not known war, the establishment of a military government adjoined with the priesthood proved essential as the domino effect of war made it from West Asia to Yorubaland. For this, Oduduwa was deified and somewhat merged as a successor to Obatala's peace; a successor that understood the importance of a more militaristic reality than Obatala. The Yoruba fended off Islamic advancement for many centuries as well as European exploitation. However, war between African groups weakened the Yoruba and their empire collapsed, allowing for infiltration by Europeans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by godisgood200: 2:15pm On Feb 11, 2018
vaxx:
People are often confused about Oduduwa because he seems to overlap with Obatala. This is because they don't understand what Oduduwa is in IFA.

Oduduwa was once a man who saw that there was something chaotic about the world and that his world was in danger. He lived during the 8th-century bce when the Asiatics were rivaling Kemet and Kush for power. The Meshwesh (northwest Africans) were allying with the Asiatics and causing Lower Kemet to become a disaster zone. As the gates of Africa, Lower Kemet had to be secure. Something had to be done.

Oduduwa then joined the Kushite army of Piankhi and fought against the Asiatics. He saw that he must protect the gates of Africa (lower Kemet) because if the Asiatics got in, they would war all the way to West Africa.

Oduduwa returned to West Africa and established the first organized military-government. Before this, the nations had no military but were lead by a council of peace driven elders (Obatala). Though peace is cute, it is utopian and unrealistic. It had to be replaced by something more useful.

This replacement was not pure war, but a balance between peace and war. This is why Oduduwa's name means "Olu Dudu Iwa," or "Black Lord of Balanced Character."

Vaxx na you be dat? You fynyo, even as d pisure far.
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by vaxx: 2:25pm On Feb 11, 2018
godisgood200:

Vaxx na you be dat? You fynyo, even as d pisure far.
where do you see my picture?
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by godisgood200: 2:29pm On Feb 11, 2018
vaxx:
where do you see my picture?
By Oduduwa Statue
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by vaxx: 2:30pm On Feb 11, 2018
godisgood200:

By Oduduwa Statue
That is not me.....just a brother. anyway thanks
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by godisgood200: 2:35pm On Feb 11, 2018
vaxx:
No wahala atol

1 Like

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by chyldvoodoo: 1:55pm On Feb 13, 2018
Vaxxx that knowledge sauce is dripping down on you. How can I talk to you privately?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by ScienceWatch: 7:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
vaxx:

Very interesting and informative post. Thanks VAXX.
I will try to become Oduduwa.
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by ScienceWatch: 7:22pm On Mar 10, 2018
vaxx:
This got me thinking. I must take a pic there with my horse and sword to honor that great man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by vaxx: 7:56pm On Mar 10, 2018
ScienceWatch:
Very interesting and informative post. Thanks VAXX.
I will try to become Oduduwa.
my bro, i am feeling you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by Gboyee4fun(m): 8:33pm On Mar 10, 2018
vaxx:

Okay, nice story

1 Like

Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by orisa37: 10:43am On Mar 11, 2018
Oduduwa is The Word of Olodumare that was with Olodumare in The Beginning and was Olodumare.
Oduduwa is The Light, Goodness and Life of Olodumare in Yoruba.
Some say The Afonjas hide and resurface to write my Command. Awo didn't hide. He was in Prison while Azikwe ran. Awo came out to help Gowon settle Nigeria. Obasanjo didn't hide. Ojukwu ran. Obasanjo took Prisoners of War to Gowon in the fashion of no victor no vanguish all to unite Nigeria. Osinbajo is not hiding but ensuring that Buhari doesn't cause irreparable damage to Nigeria and when IPOB run, they run for good. Oduduwa is The Nephilim God of Africa. Olodumare made it so.
Re: Who Is Oduduwa? by vaxx: 11:14am On Mar 11, 2018
orisa37:
Oduduwa is The Word of Olodumare that was with Olodumare in The Beginning and was Olodumare.
Oduduwa is The Light, Goodness and Life of Olodumare in Yoruba.
Some say The Afonjas hide and resurface to write my Command. Awo didn't hide. He was in Prison while Azikwe ran. Awo came out to help Gowon settle Nigeria. Obasanjo didn't hide. Ojukwu ran. Obasanjo took Prisoners of War to Gowon in the fashion of no victor no vanguish all to unite Nigeria. Osinbajo is not hiding but ensuring that Buhari doesn't cause irreparable damage to Nigeria and when IPOB run, they run for good. Oduduwa is The Nephilim God of Africa. Olodumare made it so.
what are you saying?

(1) (Reply)

I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? / *Objects Of Fiction, Imaginary Things Atheists Believe In* Since They Reject God / The Difference Between Trials And Problems.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.