Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,285 members, 7,887,831 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:46 PM

Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? (20752 Views)

N125: Have They Started Selling Fuel At The New Pump Price In Your Area? / Police Barrack In Ibadan Selling Fuel Gutted By Fire (Video) / Pump Attendant Arrested For Selling Fuel At N240 (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by handsomeyinka(m): 2:17am On Dec 05, 2017
Is it a curse by the government to always odd fuel during Xmas and new year?
Any government official or even our so called president,trying to make life unbearable for we Nigerians won't witness 2018...

So help us Lord

1 Like

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by madjune(m): 4:52am On Dec 05, 2017
This remains a perennial Nigerian culture.

Create induced stress and hardship once it's December and you know people are in for a good time.

This thread is not different from any December in previous years.
Nothing changes. Only continual hardship that drives the average Nigerian to an early grave.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Okemmuo(m): 6:10am On Dec 05, 2017
I thought this hoarding of fuel thingy during december has stopped....��. We are d ones doin our sefs walahi...
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Nobody: 6:12am On Dec 05, 2017
emmie14:

We? You and who? So you're comfortable with continual hardship of Nigerian people? When have oil prices gone up and return for less ? #145 per litre is already high and why must it happen during Christmas just to frustrate the same generation immune with suffering and marginalization. Enough of these tricks that have doomed this unprogressive country.

Well, the cold reality is

1.Even at full capacity, our refineries are not producing enough fuel for daily use.

2.Fuel subsidy is not allowing marketers earn enough cash to import fuel and make a profit, and crucially pay staff, many of whom are ordinary nigerians.

3.We are earning $60-80 less per barrel than we were in 2013. We don't have the cash to pay for any more subsidies.

4.Govt does not have the cash to build new refineries.(And yes, they waste money on top of the matter)

5.Dangote refinery will only provide some small relief.

In 2012...when we could have removed subsidy ....and allowed deregulation to take place...yeah, prices would have shot up,but then would have come down via competition. We deregulated GSM....and we went from N7500 SIM to N500 sim.

If we keep subsidy, we would just be wasting cash, marketers would be sacking staff to keep costs low, subsidy scams would be at an all time high, and many marketers would sell at sky high prices anyway. And fuel would be scarce...and Nigerians would keep on suffering.

My two cents.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Nobody: 6:16am On Dec 05, 2017
magmack:

liar

When fuel queues began to appear in certain parts of the country a couple of weeks ago, Nigerians were made to believe that it was a localised problem brought about by a minor hiccup in the affected areas. The people were also given the assurance that there was no cause for alarm because the country had sufficient fuel in its strategic reserve. The queues, however, got longer while the shortage of the product spread rapidly to other parts of the country. As usual in such situations, rarity became a source of enhanced value. The shortage resulted in an increase in fuel price and a disproportionate rise in the prices of essential goods and services.

Source: Nigerian Tribune March 18TH 2014
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 05, 2017
IamEmem:

Who were the set of Nigerians that opposed the proposal to remove subsidy in 2012...are they not these same set of folks in power?
Why are u like this my friend.

Did i tell you i opposed fuel subsidy removal in 2012?

PDP man, take your bitterness elsewhere. I am not a APC supporter, nor do i support your party.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 05, 2017
magmack:

liar

One promise President Goodluck Jonathan made to Nigerians last year during his independence day anniversary speech was the total eradication of fuel scarcity and long queues at filling stations. But just like many other failed promises that the president has made, Nigerians are once again faced with their familiar nightmare- fuel scarcity.

It started last week in some parts of the country. Now, motorists in all parts of the country are queuing for fuel. Most filling stations in Lagos and other parts of the country have closed their stations since they don’t have the commodity. The few stations that sell the product do so at very expensive price. In the Festac Area, Oshodi, Ojuelegba, Abule Egba, and Ikotun areas of the state, touts are already selling the product in gallons at almost twice the pump price. A litre of fuel currently goes for N120 in some areas.

Unlike in the past when the immediate reasons for fuel scarcity was often known, no one appears to know the cause of the current scarcity. The relevant agencies have simply refused to tell Nigerians why they must struggle hard to get one of the products that nature has blessed this country with. Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, MOMAN, placed the blame at the doorstep of government, saying that they have not been paid their outstanding subsidy claims totalling about N120 billion for the third and fourth quarters of 2013. According to the oil marketers, this has made it impossible for them to replenish their stock.

Source: PM News march 3 2014

Don't call me a liar, child.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by emmie14: 6:27am On Dec 05, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Even at full capacity, our refineries are not producing enough fuel for daily use.

2.Fuel subsidy is not allowing marketers earn enough cash to import fuel and make a profit, and crucially pay staff, many of whom are ordinary nigerians.

3.We are earning $60-80 less per barrel than we were in 2013. We don't have the cash to pay for any more subsidies.

4.Govt does not have the cash to build new refineries.(And yes, they waste money on top of the matter)

In 2012...when we could have removed subsidy ....and allowed deregulation to take place...yeah, prices would have shot up,but then would have come down via competition. We deregulated GSM....and we went from N7500 SIM to N500 sim.

If we keep subsidy, we would just be wasting cash, marketers would be sacking staff to keep costs low, subsidy scams would be at an all time high, and many marketers would sell at sky high prices anyway. And fuel would be scarce...and Nigerians would keep on suffering.

My two cents.
Why all these changes only during Christmas? While not after Christmas? . How does the removal of subsidies really affected the common people in Nigeria? The suffering and insufficiency is still the same. The problem of Nigeria with dilapidated refineries didn't start in 2012. Corruption in the presidency and NNPC is the problem in Nigeria including citizens who base their political analysis on religious and tribal sentiments. Not the policies of 2012.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Omooba77: 6:50am On Dec 05, 2017
NNPC, Ikoyi blocked at the moment due to fuel queue, same as Mobil,SandFill
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by IamEmem(m): 7:41am On Dec 05, 2017
9jakohai:

Did i tell you i opposed fuel subsidy removal in 2012?

PDP man, take your bitterness elsewhere. I am not a APC supporter, nor do i support your party.

I am not a PDP man neither am I a card carrying party person, and never mentioned u opposed fuel subsidy. Seems u lack basic training in English comprehension and feel very pity for you. Please read my mention very well and get back.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by COMPAQ(m): 8:04am On Dec 05, 2017
luvinhubby:

Which perennial problem?
5yrs of GEJ witnessed no fuel queues despite selling fuel at ₦97

Nigerians last started experiencing fuel queues September 2015 till around March 2016 when Buhari increased pump price of fuel to ₦145 & we are still experiencing fuel queues with it.

Don't be silly. There were a number of fuel queues during GEJ's time. Especially in the Eastern and northern part of the country, but even in Lagos as well even if not very serious. Fuel supply in SE actually got better when Buhari came into office.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by COMPAQ(m): 8:10am On Dec 05, 2017
emmie14:

Why all these changes only during Christmas? While not after Christmas? . How does the removal of subsidies really affected the common people in Nigeria? The suffering and insufficiency is still the same. The problem of Nigeria with dilapidated refineries didn't start in 2012. Corruption in the presidency and NNPC is the problem in Nigeria including citizens who base their political analysis on religious and tribal sentiments. Not the policies of 2012.

Haven't we had fuel crisis at other times besides Christmas before!? The guy you quoted is saying the truth. I suspect that due to higher crude prices, the N145 does not pay most marketers again and they have stopped importing. It could be that for some reason they tend to slow down during year end to pay dividends. That's just a speculation though.

But we saw diesel come down to N150 when crude was around $40 and it recently went as high as N220 before settling again at N200. Why has diesel never been scarce in years? When you agree to pay the prevailing price for petrol, it will never be scarce. Same applies for electricity by the way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by emmie14: 8:34am On Dec 05, 2017
COMPAQ:

Haven't we had fuel crisis at other times besides Christmas before!? The guy you quoted is saying the truth. I suspect that due to higher crude prices, the N145 does not pay most marketers again and they have stopped importing. It could be that for some reason they tend to slow down during year end to pay dividends. That's just a speculation though.

But we saw diesel come down to N150 when crude was around $40 and it recently went as high as N220 before settling again at N200. Why has diesel never been scarce in years? When you agree to pay the prevailing price for petrol, it will never be scarce. Same applies for electricity by the way.

I personally can afford petrol at #300 per litre. My question remain....why Christmas?
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by emmie14: 8:34am On Dec 05, 2017
COMPAQ:

I personally can afford petrol at #300 per litre. My question remain....why on Christmas?
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Israel17: 9:05am On Dec 05, 2017
same thing is happening here in Abuja, zone three total filling station. The queue is much
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by msylva2147(m): 1:11pm On Dec 05, 2017
luvinhubby:

Which perennial problem?

Nigerians last started experiencing fuel queues September 2015 till around March 2016 when Buhari increased pump price of fuel to ₦145 & we are still experiencing fuel queues with it.
maybe you should tell that to the child that was born in 2015 that the queue at the filling station started in 2015. Nigeria has been experiencing this thing since the time immemorial.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by emmie14: 1:47pm On Dec 05, 2017
COMPAQ:

As investigation shows ex-depot price of N133.38 per litre

By Adewale Sanyaolu

The Lagos State chapter of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), led by its Chairman, Alhaji Alanamu Balogun, last week, threatened to withdraw its services across Lagos State and parts of Ogun State, effective December 11, due to irregular fuel supply at NNPC’s Ejigbo satellite depot.

It said over 900 filling stations will be shut down, which might lead to fuel crisis during the Christmas and New Year festivities.

IPMAN said it took the decision because its members had been running their fuel stations at a loss over the past eight months due to NNPC’s default in the bulk purchase agreement it signed with IPMAN to sell fuel to its members at N133.28k per litre.

According to IPMAN, a litre of fuel (PMS) is being sold to its members by DAPMAN at N141, apart from running costs, bank charges and other expenses which made it impossible for operators to sell a litre of fuel at controlled price of N145, rather they sell N146 per litre.

The association alleged that while the NNPC had refused to sell fuel to its members regularly, it is diverting the supplies to DAPMAN at a price of N117 per litre and DAPMAN in turn, is selling to IPMAN members at N141 per litre.

“We believe that NNPC is doing this to deliberately cause fuel crisis because it could not control DAPMAN not to inflate prices beyond government’s fixed prices,” it said.

Meanwhile, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)’s claim that ex-depot price of petrol remains at N133.38 per litre, may have been faulted by Daily Sun findings across some depots in Apapa, Lagos.

The NNPC, in a statement released yesterday, maintained that the ex-depot petrol price of N133.38 per litre and the pump price of N143/N145 per litre have not changed as the corporation has enough stock of fuel to ensure seamless supply and distribution of products across the country during the Yultide.

‘‘The NNPC has once again emphasised that there are no plans to increase the prices of petroleum products both at the ex-depot level and pump price ahead of the forthcoming Yuletide,” the statement said.

But a document exclusively obtained by Daily Sun on the market survey position for petroleum products yesterday across some depots in Apapa, showed that eight dealers sold petrol above the ex-depot price of N133.38 approved by NNPC.

A breakdown of the ex-depot price of petrol showed that Fatgbems, Obat, Sahara, Techno and Wosab sold at N143 per litre yesterday, while NIPCO and Stallonire sold for N140 per litre and the D Jones N142 per litre.

IPMAN implored President Muhammadu Buhari, the National Assembly, the DPR, the Minister of Petroleum, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Ambode Akinwunmi, the Inspector General of Police and other security agencies to call the NNPC and DAPMAN to order, or the IPMAN will withdraw services and shut down all stations in Lagos State.

NNPC enjoined motorists and other users of petroleum products to disregard trending rumours of an impending fuel price hike, saying it has the full commitment of all downstream stakeholders, including petroleum marketers and industry unions, to cooperate in achieving zero fuel scarcity this season and beyond.

The corporation advised motorists not to engage in panic buying or indulge in the dangerous practice of stocking petroleum products in jerry cans at home.

NNPC assured that its downstream subsidiary companies, namely, the Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC) and NNPC Retail Limited are fully geared up to ensure that motorists enjoy uninterrupted access to petrol throughout the Christmas and new year celebrations
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Emanodimo(m): 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2017
If you know of a petrol station around that area.. Island.. that is available for lease... Pls chat me up
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by purplekayc(m): 2:36pm On Dec 05, 2017
Make dem no start o
It's close to Christmas
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by pedrilo: 3:00pm On Dec 05, 2017
miqos02:
u can lie oh
how did u gain entry into this thread!!!!!!!!

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by miqos02(m): 4:22pm On Dec 05, 2017
pedrilo:
how did u gain entry into this thread!!!!!!!!
wetin I do?
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by magmack: 1:41am On Dec 07, 2017
9jakohai:

One promise President Goodluck Jonathan made to Nigerians last year during his independence day anniversary speech was the total eradication of fuel scarcity and long queues at filling stations. But just like many other failed promises that the president has made, Nigerians are once again faced with their familiar nightmare- fuel scarcity.

It started last week in some parts of the country. Now, motorists in all parts of the country are queuing for fuel. Most filling stations in Lagos and other parts of the country have closed their stations since they don’t have the commodity. The few stations that sell the product do so at very expensive price. In the Festac Area, Oshodi, Ojuelegba, Abule Egba, and Ikotun areas of the state, touts are already selling the product in gallons at almost twice the pump price. A litre of fuel currently goes for N120 in some areas.

Unlike in the past when the immediate reasons for fuel scarcity was often known, no one appears to know the cause of the current scarcity. The relevant agencies have simply refused to tell Nigerians why they must struggle hard to get one of the products that nature has blessed this country with. Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, MOMAN, placed the blame at the doorstep of government, saying that they have not been paid their outstanding subsidy claims totalling about N120 billion for the third and fourth quarters of 2013. According to the oil marketers, this has made it impossible for them to replenish their stock.

Source: PM News march 3 2014

Don't call me a liar, child.
[s][/s]
I am not interested in this gibberish, u lied simple!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 08, 2017
magmack:
[s][/s]
I am not interested in this gibberish, u lied simple!!!!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin

Seems like you don't want to accept the truth., even after posting my proof.

Well, I recall there was scarcity in GEJ and PMB regime...because most Nigerians oppose deregulation.

Sorry. This isn't about politics to me.
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by SalamRushdie: 8:18am On Dec 08, 2017
9jakohai:

My two cents.

What do you mean by "even at full capacity"? Dude ni refinery is currently working for your info
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 08, 2017
SalamRushdie:

What do you mean by "even at full capacity"? Dude ni refinery is currently working for your info

1.Most of our government refineries are not working at full capacity.(govt business is no one's business)

2.At full capacity, they can produce 20-40 million liters of PMS a day. Meanwhile our ACTUAL daily need is 70 million. Meaning we have to import the difference.

3.With deregulation, IPMAN would have enough naira to purchase dollars to earn enough to import fuel.That may also have the benefit of bringing in foreign investment too...since there are no 'price controls', everyone can make a profit.

4.Of course..short term...it means fuel could go for as high as N170-220 per liter. But eventually, competition would bring down prices...and everyone benefits. Just like the GSM
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by SalamRushdie: 8:29am On Dec 08, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Most of our government refineries are not working at full capacity.(govt business is no one's business)

2.At full capacity, they can produce 20-40 million liters of PMS a day. Meanwhile our ACTUAL daily need is 70 million. Meaning we have to import the difference.

3.With deregulation, IPMAN would have enough naira to purchase dollars to earn enough to import fuel.That may also have the benefit of bringing in foreign investment too...since there are no 'price controls', everyone can make a profit.

4.Of course..short term...it means fuel could go for as high as N170-220 per liter. But eventually, competition would bring down prices...and everyone benefits. Just like the GSM

I though subsidy had been removed completely so why is the govt still keen on controlling prices ...I always stand for full derugulation in any industry
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by pheesayor(m): 1:05pm On Dec 18, 2017
there were queues in early 2015 Mr. Rowland, don't try to confuse us
luvinhubby:

Which perennial problem?

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by SalamRushdie: 1:08pm On Dec 18, 2017
COMPAQ:

What applies for electricity? Talk ooo
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by ProWalker: 1:09pm On Dec 18, 2017
SalamRushdie:

What applies for electricity? Talk ooo

You still never dey get light pass 2 hrs a day? Your village people follow you come Lagos bros. grin grin cheesy
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by SalamRushdie: 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2017
ProWalker:

You still never dey get light pass 2 hrs a day? Your village people follow you come Lagos bros. grin grin cheesy

Yesterday it became worse ooo I saw just 30 mins of electricity yesterday and it didnt come till i left the house by 8 this morning...E be like na only pro buhari people dey see this phantom electricity you guys claim to have ooo
Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by ProWalker: 1:15pm On Dec 18, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Yesterday it became worse ooo I saw just 30 mins of electricity yesterday and it didnt come till i left the house by 8 this morning...E be like na only pro buhari people dey see this phantom electricity you guys claim to have ooo

Come to Magodo and enjoy 22 hrs of light daily.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Filling Stations In Lekki Not Selling Fuel? by decomaniaboss(f): 2:33pm On Dec 18, 2017
This government is definitely cruel to the the bones God shall protect the poorest .cos I can imagine how transportation will triple.and all those going to their state for Xmas will be stranded..only God knows what the Igbos did to some people at aso rock.is been the same for the past 2 Xmas !!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Edo House Of Assembly ‘Sacks’ 12 Lawmakers-Elect / The Walls Of Benin - Mankind's Largest EVER Construction / I Didn’t Sign Budget Without Details – Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.