Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,688 members, 7,921,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 06:26 AM

Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists (936 Views)

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? / Problems With Biblical Inerrancy / Turin Shroud 'was Created By Flash Of Supernatural Light': Say Scientists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by Enigma(m): 8:29am On Mar 30, 2010
Researchers believe they have found evidence of real natural disasters on which the ten plagues of Egypt, which led to Moses freeing the Israelites from slavery in the Book of Exodus in the Bible, were based.

But rather than explaining them as the wrathful act of a vengeful God, the scientists claim the plagues can be attributed to a chain of natural phenomena triggered by changes in the climate and environmental disasters that happened hundreds of miles away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7530678/Biblical-plagues-really-happened-say-scientists.html

http://www.techeye.net/science/climatologists-claim-to-have-found-biblical-plagues
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by nuclearboy(m): 10:00am On Mar 30, 2010
Don't hold your breath, Enigma. Toneyb is driving recklessly on his way to inform you that those scientists must have been bribed by christians or are actually christians masquerading as scientists grin
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by jagunlabi(m): 1:10pm On Mar 30, 2010
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by Ghredon(f): 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
it mean the bible is very real. all of you atheist that can never believe you see now?
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by jagunlabi(m): 1:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
Okay.So the bible is real.So what?
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by Ghredon(f): 1:17pm On Mar 30, 2010
still be asking me there
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by toneyb: 2:49pm On Mar 30, 2010
nuclearboy:

Don't hold your breath, Enigma. Toneyb is driving recklessly on his way to inform you that those scientists must have been bribed by christians or are actually christians masquerading as scientists grin

grin grin grin According to the new paper article a plague happened in Egypt about 3000 years ago as a result of natural phenomena triggered by changes in the climate and environmental disasters that happened hundreds of miles away. How does this give credence to the myth written in exodus that the event happened because some tribal deity who harden the heart of an unelected and unimpeachable king wanted to kill people?

Once science finds things out that comes close to the myths written in religious text the religionist are so quick to claim some kind of victory but when science contradicts mythical stories the same religionist will not waste time to spite or castigate science. Does the OP know over a 100 years of archeological exploration fails to find anything to support the exodus narrative found in the Torah?Most archaeologists( including Jewish archaeologists like Israel Finkelstein and Ze'ev Herzog) regard the Exodus as non-historical.

Some scholars say that if the event actually happened then the Exodus would have happened 1447 BC, during the reign of Pharaoh Thutmose III (1479-1425 BC) this articles says that the event might have happened during the reign of Pharaoh Rameses the Second, who ruled between 1279BC and 1213BC. The bible does not even mention the name of the Egyptian Pharaoh at that time which is a major characteristics of most myths, in most myths events are talked about but the real names of the major actors are mostly omitted for obvious reasons.

According to the article a volcanic eruption was also responsible for the plague.

"One of the biggest volcanic eruptions in human history occurred when Thera, a volcano that was part of the Mediterranean islands of Santorini, just north of Crete, exploded around 3,500 year ago, spewing billions of tons of volcanic ash into the atmosphere."

How does this come close to the myth of Moses throwing his stick into the water and turning it into blood? grin
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by MyJoe: 3:09pm On Mar 30, 2010
^^^ I hope you know the implications of driving too fast? grin grin grin
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by toneyb: 3:43pm On Mar 30, 2010
MyJoe:

I am a reckless driver as already pointed out by nuclearboy. What's up with you, I have really been enjoying your contributions to this section lately. Best wishes from this end.
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by nuclearboy(m): 4:05pm On Mar 30, 2010
It comes to mind that Moses informed Pharaoh before the fact. How would you explain that and his knowledge of the order of the plagues before they occured?
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by viaro: 4:51pm On Mar 30, 2010
toneyb:

I am a reckless driver as already pointed out by nuclearboy.

The road ought to be well-paved so you don't get flat tyres, hehe.

nuclearboy:

It comes to mind that Moses informed Pharaoh before the fact. How would you explain that and his knowledge of the order of the plagues before they occured?

I didn't really think the connections in the report had substance. Although a couple of scientists were named -

Professor Augusto Magini, a paleoclimatologist
     Dr Stephan Pflugmacher, a biologist
     Professor Werner Kloas, a biologist
     Nadine von Blohm (??)
     Dr Siro Trevisanato, a biologist

-  yet it strikes me that the article tended more to speculations than real scientific findings. Too many conjectures, IMO. It is one thing to study historical climatic and atmospheric conditions of any region or place, but quite another thing to posit actual historical events as fact.

'They have compiled compelling evidence that offers new explanations for the Biblical plagues, which will be outlined in a new series to be broadcast on the National Geographical Channel on Easter Sunday', says the article. Although one should not therefore jump to any conclusions before the series is aired, yet it is not too much to ask that the scientists undertaking such studies first establish the Biblical plagues as historical facts before trying to offer any "new explanations" anywhere. This is not saying that viaro as a Christian doubts that the plagues are historically factual; but I think the way the report of the scientists is given only tend to more questions scientifically than answers by the same measure.

An example of why that article seems to have far more conjectures than substance is this quote:

Scientists have found pumice, stone made from cooled volcanic lava, during excavations of Egyptian ruins despite there not being any volcanoes in Egypt.

Well, I don't know - but the highlighted in blue makes me wonder what was meant by there not being any volcanoes in Egypt. What about field studies indicating the presence of some of these residue resulting from Tertiary Volcanic activity IN EGYPT?

Even if one may argue rather for the particular case of any volcanoes (rather than volcanic activities)  in Egypt, what then about the Rennebaum Volcano - in Egypt? I don't want to mix up issues here for anyone, but here's an excerpt I found:

[list]East of Cairo, Oligocene quartzitic and reddish sandstones were exposed at Gebel Ahmar (Red Mountain). These sands extend to lake Timsah (Cuvillier, 1930) and are associated with petrified wood and chert conglomerate. They contain miniature volcanoes (Rennebaum volcano) attributed to silica-bearing hydrothermal fluids because of the presence of silicified tubes cutting across the sandstones.
~ ([url=http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wBXdka5y9KwC&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=Rennebaum+Volcano+in+Egypt&source=bl&ots=VWGjOS32XF&sig=iscwfvgMoHiREQhX-9766nAjI1c&hl=en&ei=3hCyS8fdEqi80gT7nYmoBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Rennebaum%20Volcano%20in%20Egypt&f=false]Geology of Egypt and Libya[/url] By E. Tawadros, Ezzat Tawadros)[/list]

In any case, the article about the scientists and the Biblical plagues - that seems a loaded conjectural work, IMO. The areal extent of their study should mean that just about the same 10 plagues happened at about the same period in a radius covering quite a number of continents! So why the pointer suddenly to the Exodus narratives of the Bible here? This is not unique, for in the recent past, many such connections (rather conjectures, IMO) have been attempted - another example:

'In The Parting of the Sea: How Volcanoes, Earthquakes, and Plagues Shaped the Exodus Story,[49] geologist Barbara J. Sivertsen seeks to establish a link between the eruption of Santorini ca. 1628 BCE and the Exodus from Egypt in the Bible.' (Wikipedia on the Minoan eruption).
Re: Biblical Plagues Really Happened Say Scientists by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 30, 2010
MyJoe:

Over speeding is dangerous to health

(1) (Reply)

Persistent Child / The Human Conscience: Weak, Defiled Or Good / Love Your Enemies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.