Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,342 members, 7,881,259 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:26 PM

The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? (3575 Views)

What Does It Mean If Your Employer Is Advertising For Your Position / Vacation Vocation: Does It Exist In Nigeria / Does Osteopathic Medicine Exist In The Nigerian System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by chic2pimp(m): 5:32pm On Apr 14, 2010
Old Boys' Network Does Exist In Nigeria

tkb417:

Some secondary schools in 9ja has got a thing with moving 2geda decades after school. Abeokuta Grammar school Abeokuta (AGSOBA), Military schools, Kings and Queens Colleges, St Finbarrs, Loyola Jesuit Ibadan, GCI, Christ School Ado, some military schools in 9ja and some schools are good at rolling 2geda many years after graduating from school.

Add ISL,ISI and Barewa College to that List.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 11:57am On Apr 19, 2010
This is something that happens everywhere in the world.
In NY, the Columbia, Yale or Harvard IB scions dominate the world of Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan. Likewise for the Ivy League lawyers, they are usually set for a career at some of the most prestigious law firms in the US, mostly founded by some ex-alumni.
Most people know about Stanford/Caltech/UCB and the Silicon Valley connection. In fact, Sun Microsystems is basically owned by ex-Stanford comp sci grads.

My question is, do we have anything like that in Nigeria? Is there really an 'old boys network'? Do we have firms primarily dominated by ex-alumni of some certain institutions? In my early job-seeking days, I came up a number of times against an 'Ife clique', in places like Telnet, Spar Aerospace (later GS Telecom), Philips Projects Center, and even Resourcery. These days, I hardly hear of such things among the fresh guys coming up. Though I hear Renaissance Capital is dominated by Ife people, that's just about it. All the places that I have worked, and indeed most organizations these days, people join from just about anywhere.

I think it's not so bad to have an old boys network. The only thing I have not seen in Nigeria, is what I consider to be the next level: old boys actually going on to set up their own outfit, and taking it up there. With all the Ife domination of Telnet and GS Telecom, I haven't still heard of any homegrown outfit founded by a bunch of Ife guys competing with those chaps. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

This was actually a topic I was thinking about for weeks and discussing with one of my classmates. In Nigeria there is actually an old boys network and a very very strong but invisible one. I lived In VI/Ikoyi annex for most of my life and what I noticed was that everyone knew each other closely. There children went to the same primary/secondary school (assuming thy even went to school in naija). Also I learned that there are really some type of Old money in Nigeria- especially Nigerians whose families were one of the first to be educated. I would not want to go into the dynamics but lets just say Nigeria is quite an interesting place. Infact, I have observed that certain rich people's kids tend to know each other a lot.

Its going to be interesting, from my perspective, the future of Nigeria concentrated under a select class of people who did not get where they are through hard work.

Lol, dont forget that Stanford Grads also found Google, Paypal, and BEA systems. Hehe Nigerian scammers owe a lot to those geeks in Palo Alto. By the way Old School networks are not a good thing but I would leave that argument for another day.

Some secondary schools in 9ja has got a thing with moving 2geda decades after school. Abeokuta Grammar school Abeokuta (AGSOBA), Military schools, Kings and Queens Colleges, St Finbarrs, Loyola Jesuit Ibadan, GCI, Christ School Ado, some military schools in 9ja and some schools are good at rolling 2geda many years after graduating from school.

That's because most of them meet at university in Nigeria. Christ School Ado-ekiti used to produce brilliant minds before- Erastus Akingbola grin (hey brilliance is subjective), segun aganga and a host of thers but I think the quality has declined so much undecided. However mostly Lagos schools move with Lagos schools though. When I schooled in lagos, I never met a single person from outside lagos in my life lol. Coming to college, I was shocked to meet people from like Ife, Edo and places I thought were villages lol
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 12:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
I have seen the way Europeans in Nigerian MNCs surreptiously band together and somehow establish an informal network. Hire a South African chap to head up an MNC in Nigeria, and all of a sudden you begin to see a silent proliferation of South African personnel in key positions, as well as South African service providers/vendors. Sometimes, it is even maybe a bunch of ex-alumni of a certain MNC that show up to head a company in Nigeria, and they begin to summon their old colleagues and service providers. This happens all the time in Nigeria, and all of a sudden you begin to see Nigerians marginalized in their own country.

Not just Europeans everyone. I noticed something in the US- your best help- sadly would come from your country man than someone else.

Take for example Vikram Pandit- brilliant man, but its likely he would never have headed Citigroup if not for the support of fellow indians in teh company. Indians too have a very strong network, because a lot of them work in the financial industry especially wall street and they give themselves a lot of support. Chinese- same stuff, give themselves a lot of support- they are famous for that.

Nigerians always ready to stab themselves in the back or feel they dont really have to help anyone, since they reached the top themselves. I dont see a lot of Nigerian networking going on- maybe I am probably oblivious to it.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 12:18pm On Apr 19, 2010
^^
I think it's some kind of professional immaturity.
Whether at home or abroad, Nigerians should have been banding together, creating informal networks, and using these networks to leverage some sort of advantage. Somehow, due to our individualistic outlook, we haven't been able to close ranks.
I am wondering if we would be this enlightened as individuals if we banded together like the Indians or Chinese. I think the soldier-ant mentality those guys have is not really sustainable, as they don't really have so many guys who can function as an individual, at top level.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 12:34pm On Apr 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
I think it's some kind of professional immaturity.
Whether at home or abroad, Nigerians should have been banding together, creating informal networks, and using these networks to leverage some sort of advantage. Somehow, due to our individualistic outlook, we haven't been able to close ranks.
I am wondering if we would be this enlightened as individuals if we banded together like the Indians or Chinese. I think the soldier-ant mentality those guys have is not really sustainable, as they don't really have so many guys who can function as an individual, at top level.

yeah I know, I am planning to create my own business card in a couple of weeks hehe. I do try in my own little way to help fellow Nigerians even going as far as doing everything for them lol.

I think the soldier-ant mentality those guys have is not really sustainable, as they don't really have so many guys who can function as an individual, at top level.

Depends- yes you have examples like Ban Ki Moon, Vikram Pandit and a host of inept of others- but then you still have brilliant Asians especially south asians such as Indian people. Actually the economist ran an article on themanagement Gurus of the world and there was only one white guy- the rest where Indians. All PhD holders in management strategy/finance who had done ground breaking research.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 6:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
Old boys network does exist in Nigeria, but as has been mentioned up there, not so strong as we have in top schools in top countries.

It appears more organized at the high school level, although that is also dwindling now. Hence, schools like KC, QC, Christ School Ado Ekiti, Barewa(of old) and few others all have an organized, effective old boys network and a conscious, concerted way of bringing up products of their schools. Even my own alma mater, Offa Grammar school, Offa, less known as it is, also has a very strong old boys network that has been very beneficial. In the late 80's to early 90's, there was the Oladele Olasore (then CEO of First Bank), Femi Adekanye (then CEO of Commerce bank), Abioye Oyeleke(NSE President) and a few other top shots in Corporate Nigeria then, all products of this school, who, through a vibrant old boys network, put on track some of their guys from the school, and even at corporate decision making level in the nation's financial sector, the spirit of 'old boys' came to play. Far more technical and sophisticated moves exist among boys from Kings College, Christ School Ado -Ekiti(Erastus Akingbola finished from this school), GCI, and few other top secondary schools with strong old boys networks, in which decisions were finished on 'old boys' table or phone calls.

I also remember the famous 'Insight 82' group, made up of 1982 Economics class of Ife. The guys were so strong they, behind the scene, moved the nation's banking scene some years ago and bond together only by being classmates. Among them was Ibrahim Dosunmu, late MD of Wema bank, who died in December 2000. One of them was also an ED in Access Bank then, and a number were also EDs and GMs in other top banks I can't recall. Those guys effectively made use of old boys network to do a lot of things.

Although not as organized and conscious, as it used to be, it still exists in some fashion, usually through sharing of valuable information. In my Ife clique of friends for example, we still make use of it, and it has been every helpful. In my current coy example, I have been able to bring forward my room mate to join us(I brought him from GTB), another one is resuming this week(coming from Zenith) and I just spoke with our HR on another's bahalf, and he will also be joining any time from now, subject to doing well in interview. One rejected an offer to join us because of pay package issue(should have come from P&G). Three others fluffed the opportunity by not being satisfactory enough in selection process(would have come from Mobil, Zenith and GTB). So if all of them had come, that means my company would have been parading at least 10 staff from my Ife clique alone, all through me. Any info I get I pass across among guys. Others also do it. I remember when, two years ago, a GM in UBA put a call to me to come and join him in his unit, having lost my classmate to another company. I wasn't interested and I introduced another classmate of mine to him, but he wasn't too keen at taking him. This friend of mine ended in GTB, courtesy another ex-room mate of ours in Ife, now a GT big boy.

I think Ife guys are trying in this regard. They have that strong bond after school, and it has been very beneficial, at least for flow of useful information. Ife Economics dominate the whole of Merristem Research dept, from HOD to NYSC. The entire research dept of that investment banking is filled with my senior, mate and juniors in Ife, although some just use it as a stop-gap before moving to bigger coys. It is also very common to have a network of Ife engineering guys in Schlumberger, Shell, Chevron etc.

The old boys network is actually in place in Nigeria, and working, even if not well coordinated or organized.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 11:07am On Apr 20, 2010
^^
Nice one Jarus.

Would be interesting to know what you think of SEFAGO's submission that it's not necessarily a good thing.
Personally I think it is one way that we can leverage to enable a real middle class in Nigeria. Linking each other up for jobs is a start, and we hope to see these networks playing out in the corporate world in the future.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 12:23pm On Apr 20, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Would be interesting to know what you think of SEFAGO's submission that it's not necessarily a good thing.
I think we are talking about same thing here:
Jarus:

In the late 80's to early 90's, there was the Oladele Olasore (then CEO of First Bank), Femi Adekanye (then CEO of Commerce bank), Abioye Oyeleke(NSE President) and a few other top shots in Corporate Nigeria then, all products of this school, who, through a vibrant old boys network, put on track some of their guys from the school, and even at corporate decision making level in the nation's financial sector, the spirit of 'old boys' came to play. Far more technical and sophisticated moves exist among boys from Kings College, Christ School Ado -Ekiti(Erastus Akingbola finished from this school), GCI, and few other top secondary schools with strong old boys networks, in which decisions were finished on 'old boys' table or phone calls.

I also remember the famous 'Insight 82' group, made up of 1982 Economics class of Ife. The guys were so strong they, behind the scene, moved the nation's banking scene some years ago and bond together only by being classmates. Among them was Ibrahim Dosunmu, late MD of Wema bank, who died in December 2000. One of them was also an ED in Access Bank then, and a number were also EDs and GMs in other top banks I can't recall. Those guys effectively made use of old boys network to do a lot of things.

I guess what SEFAGO meant is that undue favouritism and unhealthy cover-up may come in.
In the case of Adekanye and co I mentioned above, when Adekanye's bank ran into troubled waters, the Judge to decide on the case was also an 'old boy' and I think the judge withdrew from teh case or something when a national issue that affaected the economy was turning into old boys issue.

In essence, promotions and appointment, investigations, national decisions, etc may be less than transparent or altruistic when the bond of old boys is given too much strenght.

But much as I agree this should be a cause for concern, I think this is also exaggerated. I don't think any executive, especially if he's part of the ownership or leadership, will sacrifice corporate ethics, in the name of old boys bond. I mentioned the case of the Judge that withdrew because the CEO involved was an ex-boy.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 5:48pm On Apr 20, 2010
Implementation of OBN inhibits meritocracy.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 9:59am On Apr 21, 2010
Sagamite:

Implementation of OBN inhibits meritocracy.
hmm, i think thats debatable

i got to where i work now cos a friend an ex Ife/pwC told someone about me in S.A and blimey i got a call from Jo'bourg if ill be interested in meeting some guys. I did and i was told, my friend just saved them some hassles by getting me cos it would have taken them weeks to really sieve through CVs and eventually hiring someone.

Recommendation wouldnt necessarily distort merits cos the companies have standards and only someone who fits the standard will eventually be hired irrespective of who gives the referral. I agree with Jarus, we Ife guys have a way of bonding 2geda after school and hence the reason why we are usually clustered in the corporate setting.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:12am On Apr 21, 2010
^^
Actually I kind of admire the Ife clique thing.
Apart from the bonding, the guys from that school generally have a positive work attitude. Even the guys that finish with average degrees are pretty good. And I like the way they support each other.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 10:13am On Apr 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
Actually I kind of admire the Ife clique thing.
Apart from the bonding, the guys from that school generally have a positive work attitude. Even the guys that finish with average degrees are pretty good. And I like the way they support each other.
. . even to NL here grin
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 12:21pm On Apr 21, 2010
tkb417:

hmm, i think thats debatable

i got to where i work now cos a friend an ex Ife/pwC told someone about me in S.A and blimey i got a call from Jo'bourg if ill be interested in meeting some guys. I did and i was told, my friend just saved them some hassles by getting me cos it would have taken them weeks to really sieve through CVs and eventually hiring someone.

Recommendation wouldnt necessarily distort merits cos the companies have standards and only someone who fits the standard will eventually be hired irrespective of who gives the referral. I agree with Jarus, we Ife guys have a way of bonding 2geda after school and hence the reason why we are usually clustered in the corporate setting.

It is not everytime recommendations made would be of people of your capable quality. We are human beings, standards can be ignored by humans and principles thrown out of the window.

There might be situations were people would make recommendations not on capable quality but to do a friend a favour or to try and get into a hot girl's pants.  grin

It is synonymous with my concerns with democracy as I realise it does not make sense for every foool that does not understand or is interested in issues to have a vote that has equal weighting with those that are smart enough to understand and are interested. Or worse still, ideally I question the sense in foools having a vote at all (as controversial and elitists as it may sound) as it inhibits the ability to elect the correct and ideal leader.  grin Lets watch what will happen with this IBB thing when over 70% of Nigerians are illiterates.  undecided

An ideal process would be one in which every voter would go through a test of their reasoning ability and interest in the main pertinent issues to see if it reaches a minimum threshold but I realise these test would be conducted by humans, hence it is corruptable and would be corrupted to get someone or some group advantage. So we have no option but to stick with democracy.

This applies to OBN as well, it is fabulous if there is a guarantee people will stick to standards, but I know they will not (I would personally recommend spiky for anything because of her ikebe  grin) so meritocracy with its slower process might be more fair and the best process.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 12:37pm On Apr 21, 2010
wetin go happen to awon bois wey no come finish from IFE
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 12:42pm On Apr 21, 2010
jay bee:

Go and do a diploma in Ife then.  grin

Honestly, personally I don't have a problem if recommendations are based on competence and a strong assessment test is in place but these two are not guaranteed by no means.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 12:49pm On Apr 21, 2010
This applies to OBN as well, it is fabulous if there is a guarantee people will stick to standards, but I know they will not (I would personally recommend spiky for anything because of her ikebe ) so meritocracy with its slower process might be more fair and the best process.
grin grin grin so u don dey pursue that babe

spikey sef na Ife gurl o, at least she get one strong point grin (ikebesuper)

jay bee:

awon boiz wey no finish from Ife sef dey pull strings in 9ja
UI, ABU, Nsukka boiz dey na
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 12:45am On Apr 22, 2010
I have just been opportune to read Naija news. I read the Ibori story of duel with police.

This is where my supposedly elitist argument's validity comes in: Every fooool has a right to vote?  angry

The so called pro-Ibori youths should be caught and simply slaughtered. Waste of human flesh, I can't believe their vote counts.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201004211612054
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 1:06am On Apr 22, 2010
Have you guys heard of Barewa college?

The Old boys are running things in naija.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 1:37am On Apr 22, 2010
agabaI23:

We already mentioned it earlier on the first page.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 10:03am On Apr 22, 2010
agabaI23:

yeah, 5 of Nigeria's past presidents/heads of state finished from that school: Balewa, Murtala, Shagari, Buhari and Yar'Adua,. Ahmadu Bello too finished from the school, not to mention the ex-IG Coomasie, Chief Justices Muhammed Bello, Idris Kutigi, etc that finished there. Jubril Aminu, Nuhu Ribadu, El-Rufai etc are also their exes.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 11:27am On Apr 22, 2010
Thats just like Achemota in Ghana

heard the school has produced like 4 Presidents already
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2010
Jarus:

yeah, 5 of Nigeria's past presidents/heads of state finished from that school: Balewa, Murtala, Shagari, Buhari and Yar'Adua,. Ahmadu Bello too finished from the school, not to mention the ex-IG Coomasie, Chief Justices Muhammed Bello, Idris Kutigi, etc that finished there. Jubril Aminu, Nuhu Ribadu, El-Rufai etc are also their exes.

Pardon my obvious bias.
There are not that many schools of similar calibre in the North. So you might just find that anyone who went to secondary school in the North in the 60s and 70s, went to this school.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 2:42pm On Apr 22, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Pardon my obvious bias.
There are not that many schools of similar calibre in the North. So you might just find that anyone who went to secondary school in the North in the 60s and 70s, went to this school.

You got a point there though but the El Rufais and the Ribadu's are relatively younger.
Re: The Old Boys Network: Does It Exist In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 5:12pm On Apr 22, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Pardon my obvious bias.
It's not a bias, but a known truth. Just like 4 out of every 5 top personalities from the north finished from ABU, where in the case of the South, OAU, Lag, UNN and UI share it.

It's obvious that Barewa alone was to the North what King's College, Christ School Ado, GCI, GC Umuahia and few others are to teh South.
To go to standard, reputable school in the South then, you had options in at least 10 schools, but in teh north, Barewa appeared to be the only standard, reputable high school at teh period. But let's still give it to the school, to produce 5 presidents is no joke.

(1) (2) (Reply)

CEO Of The Week / I Make N25,000 Daily Selling Shawarma’ / 6 Substantial Benefits Of Maximizing Your Workplace Talents By Johnspeak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.