Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,697 members, 7,882,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:23 PM

How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan (2431 Views)

Help! Is It A Terrible Idea To Drive From Lagos To Calabar? / How Was Your First Driving Experience? / If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by kekakuz(m): 2:36am On Dec 09, 2017
Hello friends

Am thinking of driving home this Xmas but I just started driving 9months Ago

I feel very comfortable behind the wheels and am currently processing my drivers lincence. I also drive every day to work which is about 80km everyday.

Is it advisable for me to hit the highways now or do I need more experience.
Kindly advice
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Nobody: 3:24am On Dec 09, 2017
I did it within 2 weeks of driving....all na mind

2 Likes

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by psalmson001: 3:59am On Dec 09, 2017
Ure good to go, but dont embark on the journey alone. Have a more experienced person in the car with you. Most preferably some one who drives such distance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by ipobarecriminals: 4:19am On Dec 09, 2017
dnt try it biko.Enter public transport go.Dnt allow village pipu wink at u biko.Wish u journey mercy
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by dandollaz: 6:17am On Dec 09, 2017
Fire on you are good to go.

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by ruggedsoul(m): 7:50am On Dec 09, 2017
u can hit the road once u have the mind. all na mind. Maintain an average speed while travelling cos travelling on the high way is different from when you drive within the Town.

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by finofaya: 8:46am On Dec 09, 2017
The number of years of driving is not relevant. If you have enough confidence behind the wheel you can do it. The things that will increase your safety during the trip are

1. Making sure you're car is in good order before you start. Don't drive on worn out or over/under inflated tyres. Ensure your headlights and horn are working.

2. driving at a moderate speed (120ish or lower if you're more comfy with that) particularly when the road is busy. On long trips on busy roads if you drive at a high speed you will likely become fatigued more quickly due to the extra vigilance required for the higher speed. Fatigue is not your friend. At the lower speed you will have more time to react to things like potholes and other errant drivers. The car is also more stable if you have to swerve to avoid anything.

3. Correctly judging how much space you have to overtake in on the single lane portions of the road. You will have to overtake a lot of trucks and trailers and other slower moving vehicles so your judgment will be called for so many times. You may get frustrated after you find yourself behind another convoy of trailers which you have to pass for the 1000th time. Keep your cool and plan your passing well. Try not to linger beside the car you're overtaking either; overtake swiftly.

4. Scanning the road ahead as far as you can see. Also try to be aware of what's happening behind you. Use your mirrors often. Road awareness is easier to manage if you're not thundering down the highway at 190kmh.

This is the little I've managed to learn from driving long distance to my own village. It's not different from your regular city driving except for the incessant overtaking and pothole avoiding. Its tiring so you're entitled to one Trophy on arrival (not before). Have a safe trip.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by bravolad(m): 9:36am On Dec 09, 2017
The poster above me has succinctly put out some of the considerations. However, I will add that people have different threshold of of endurance & reaction. Long haul drive requires a lot of patience. This is also when your adrenaline will need to be on the lowest. Do not overtake when u can't see the road ahead of you. Don't panic, maintain a moderate speed of 100km/h. Resist any urge to go above this speed.

What's required is a good and firm control of the steering wheel, road awareness & not necessarily years of driving.

Have a passenger in the front seat probably someone who has driven to such a distance. Ensure your car is in top shape for a trip.

Get a enough sleep on the penultimate night of your travel. Leave early but not very early, 5.30am is a good time. Eat light to stay focused. Avoid alcohol by all means.

Finally, it's not a big deal driving such a distance, the only difference is that it's your first time. Over time, it becomes normal & part of you.

4 Likes

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by jaychubi: 1:33pm On Dec 09, 2017
kekakuz:
Hello friends

I feel very comfortable behind the wheels and am currently processing my drivers lincence. I also drive every day to work which is about 80km everyday.

Kindly advice

Highway is a different ball game esp if u are driving for over 8hrs. U need confidence n composure. I think u ve enough experience to do the Journey jst get someone to join u on d said day n ensure ur car is in top shape. Dnt over speed keep it at 80 to 100km/h.

I travelled from PH to Enugu in less than 2 months driving experience.

Fatigue and sleepy driving in highway can cause fatal accident, if at any point u fill sleepy or too fatigue may be after 5 hrs on the wheel pls take a 30minutes break by stopping at any safe place arnd for a little rest. Goodluck, it will be fun provided ur vehicle is in top shape.
Use ur horn, signal light, mirrors n periodically check ur instrument cluster for any unusual light, fuel n temp gauge. Spare tyre must be in good shape

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by oseiwe(m): 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2017
Inasmuch you have asked this question, you are not fit to drive. Pls, do not drive, you are not mentally ready.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by 3kay945(m): 9:16pm On Dec 09, 2017
oseiwe:
Inasmuch you have asked this question, you are not fit to drive. Pls, do not drive, you are not mentally ready.

This is wisdom.

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by chrisa: 3:59pm On Dec 29, 2017
[]free betting on nairabet visit to enjoy http://wlnairabet.adsrv.eacdn.com/C.ashx?btag=a_6119b_18c_&affid=1060661&siteid=6119&adid=18&c=

Kindly advice [/quote]
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by HenryWilliams(m): 4:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
Driving is a state of mind.. Mentality and physically alert.. You may have gotten the physical Part.. Mentally you ain't ready.. Abuja to ibadan isn't a small journey.. It will test even the most experienced driver.. 9 months driving isn't enough for you to gather requiste skills needed.. Get a more experienced driver beside you and observe how it's done..
Hopefully with some years in your belt. You can tackle 500+ Kilometer journeys..

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 29, 2017
I did a journey from Lagos to Abuja and I just started driving about six months before then, though I gat mind that I can do it but was just moving at 90km/h.
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Stephandeswardt: 7:59am On Jan 01, 2018
Hope you drove and survived?

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Trippledots(m): 6:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
did lagos to imo state after six months of driving. drove infrequently too. longest tripp i had done was apapa to lekki.. grin

i no lie, i break the journey into two days sha, slept over at benin city. the strain was much for me, plus sunglare. My eye wan crase with strain na...i de look i no de understand wetin i de see for front...lol. but i went with an experienced driver sha and i had some issues on the road; horn developed fault, fan belt cut and melted, fuel tank was leaking so i had to carry a jerrycan of fuel to top the tank every other time.

all na balance of mind and sense sha
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Ladipodeal: 7:45pm On Aug 19, 2018
Trippledots:
did lagos to imo state after six months of driving. drove infrequently too. longest tripp i had done was apapa to lekki.. grin

i no lie, i break the journey into two days sha, slept over at benin city. the strain was much for me, plus sunglare. My eye wan crase with strain na...i de look i no de understand wetin i de see for front...lol. but i went with an experienced driver sha and i had some issues on the road; horn developed fault, fan belt cut and melted, fuel tank was leaking so i had to carry a jerrycan of fuel to top the tank every other time.

Seriously!!!
You were supposed to stop immediately you noticed the leakage from the fuel tank. Bros you risk your life driving a car with dripping fuel, you were actually riding a timed bomb. The driver that accompanied you was definitely not experienced at all.
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by 2shure: 1:02am On Aug 20, 2018
i will turbo
tear speedometer
juz gimme suv
benz or ford edge..g wagon...hummer h3..
ac tight
customs with npf go jump entee bush
250km/h on freeway

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 20, 2018
kekakuz:
Hello friends

Kindly advice

Not sure how feasible this is but perhaps go to the garage and ask to tag along behind a public transport vehicle.

Just an idea.

1 Like

Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by divinelove(m): 9:24am On Aug 20, 2018
Trippledots:

Jesus!!!!

Bro your God strong ooo you drove long distance on leaking car shocked shocked shocked wow the car could have exploded. Don't try it next time u may not be this lucky to be telling the story yourself
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Trippledots(m): 10:35pm On Aug 21, 2018
divinelove:

Jesus!!!!

Bro your God strong ooo you drove long distance on leaking car shocked shocked shocked wow the car could have exploded. Don't try it next time u may not be this lucky to be telling the story yourself

not leaking per say. it had very tiny holes somewhere above the half full line... how i knew was when i filled it full and it leaked all d way to half. iv since disposed off the car anyways. Lagos traffic no worth the stress as a car owner.
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by Trippledots(m): 10:37pm On Aug 21, 2018
Ladipodeal:

Seriously!!!
You were supposed to stop immediately you noticed the leakage from the fuel tank. Bros you risk your life driving a car with dripping fuel, you were actually riding a timed bomb. The driver that accompanied you was definitely not experienced at all.

it wasn't dripping... the driver is experienced enough. don't say what you don't know pls.
Re: How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:23am On Aug 22, 2018
OK, my answer to this direct question is

min 4 yrs

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Car Of 600k ..toyota ... / See The Amazing Transformation Of This Danfo Bus As Done By A Mechanic - Photos / Please I Done Enter Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.