Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,093 members, 7,939,424 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 04:35 AM

International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? (1589 Views)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / Top 10 African Countries Passport For Visa Free Travel / How Do I Get An International Passport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by shutmouth(m): 11:30am On Feb 26, 2007
I am trying to remit funds to a family member to purchase a mobile phone and obtain a Nigerian passport.

The following are the costs I received:
- Used mobile phone: 150 USD (N15,000)
- International Passport cost 200 USD (N20,000)

I suspect I am being ripped off because with 150 USD, I could buy 2 brand new mobile phones in Europe.

Can anyone confirm:
How much is a new or used Mobile Phone in Nigeria?
How much does it cost to obtain a new Nigerian Passport?
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by shutmouth(m): 6:04pm On Feb 27, 2007

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by kitaun(m): 7:05pm On Feb 27, 2007
sebi na ur relative?? undecided

no amount is too big for the person to ask you jare tongue

no be me go spoil d guy runs!!! grin grin
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by LondonCool(m): 4:35pm On Feb 28, 2007
shutmouth:

How much does it cost to obtain a new Nigerian Passport?

It is ILLEGAL for you to obtain a Nigerian passport by proxy. The computer system does pick up all passport pictures not scanned automatically in person and one day you could be denied entry into any country because your passport number came up amongst those declared missing/stolen by the Nigerian Immigration Service. However, the official price for obtaining a passport is N5,000 but if you pay N9,000 you can get it done by express (that means you have according to them, paid the transport fare for the officer who will take your passport to Abuja who will also bring it back for you the next day).

There are phones and there are phones what kind of phone are you talking about ? Alcatel or Nokia?
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by shutmouth(m): 9:40pm On Feb 28, 2007
LondonCool,

Thanks for the clarification.

I will confront my family this weekend to verify why they are asking me to send 200 USD instead of N9000 for the passport.

It would be helpful if you could also give me a rough idea of the prices for used or new Alcatel and Nokia mobile phones.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by VOR(m): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2007
Wny not just buy a used phone wherever you are in Europe and
send it to them?
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by shutmouth(m): 11:49pm On Feb 28, 2007
Wny not just buy a used phone wherever you are in Europe and
send it to them?

They said it may be lost in transit by courier.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by bigbumper(f): 9:55pm On Mar 07, 2007
paid 10000 naira for my Nigerian passport, even got it signed by the oga patapata the same day (stage 1 to 20, outta 21 stages to obtain a nigerian pali) but due to the fact that scanner was broken and had to send replacement from abuja, did not receive till a week later.

Mobile phones costs more in Nigeria. It is cheaper to get a mobile phone abroad because they are sold as part of contract at subsidised rates, hence the reason why phones that come free as part of a contract package often costs anything between £300-£800 when handsets are purchased alone.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by bigbumper(f): 9:57pm On Mar 07, 2007
Oh by the way, 15000 is only probably gonna get you a phone that is 3-5 years old.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by nicolas: 10:46pm On Mar 07, 2007
http://www.immigration.gov.ng/

here you will find all the accurate infos u are looking for
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 29, 2007
You no dey shame;I WILL CALL MY RELATIVE AND CLARIFY THE 11,000 difference, you think they dont have better things doing than running errands for you, if they dont increase the price how will they gain from big brother abroad?why dont u just take a flight from ur location to naija and then tell me which one cheap pass,
selfish man
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Imani(f): 9:33pm On Mar 29, 2007
shaddyfr:

You no dey shame;I WILL CALL MY RELATIVE AND CLARIFY THE 11,000 difference, you think they don't have better things doing than running errands for you, if they don't increase the price how will they gain from big brother abroad?why don't u just take a flight from your location to naija and then tell me which one cheap pass,
selfish man

The poster was not the one in need of a nigerian passport and a phone rather a relative of his.

Because he lives abroad does not mean the people back home should charge ridiculous amounts for items purchased. If he decides to give generously, then it should come from within him. Nobody likes to be taken as a fool.

I support his attempt to challenge the lying relatives. If they needed extra money, all they had to do was ask. Some relatives in Ngeria need to understand that life is not that easy abroad.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by LondonCool(m): 12:48am On Mar 30, 2007
Imani:

The poster was not the one in need of a nigerian passport and a phone rather a relative of his.

Because he lives abroad does not mean the people back home should charge ridiculous amounts for items purchased. If he decides to give generously, then it should come from within him. Nobody likes to be taken as a fool.

I support his attempt to challenge the lying relatives. If they needed extra money, all they had to do was ask. Some relatives in Ngeria need to understand that life is not that easy abroad.

I agree with you on this. Those at home in Nigeria do not have an inalienable right to rip-off any relative abroad just because he earns his income in foreign currency.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Nobody: 1:40am On Mar 30, 2007
like i wrote in the previous post;let him take a flight and come home and do the job himself, i dont see anything bad in what the relative did and there is no rip off there cos i was home last december and i went with my younger brother to festac immigration office and the price was $100;so if he sends $200 home the only gain small bro will get from big bro will be $50 after the transport , food , and credit to call big bro that the job has been done, so there is nothing like a rip-off, cool
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Vicjustice: 10:28am On May 23, 2007
Well, i paid 700 Euro (not dollar) to do a new passport in Athens, Greece
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by globalaid(m): 1:28pm On May 23, 2007
why condoning what is not good. The way we Nigeria think at times is so absurd most especially the people back home. I frown at the idea that people should inflate the price of a thing because their relative is abroad, how can you justify #9000 naira for $200, cant you see that the difference is too much.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Wadomoi(f): 1:33pm On May 23, 2007
the guy is telling u the truth - he has asked you for 15,000 for a phone when 20 year olds buy 60k and above phones from my shop and 20k for the passport is not too much - depends if u want to pay the official rate and have to wait donkey time b4 it is issued, beside, he will transport himself etc.

Common -
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Bulga(m): 3:28pm On May 23, 2007
Our country Passport is no longer difficult to obtain. I paid 8,000 naira for the last one I obtained and it took a week to come out.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Imani(f): 9:02pm On May 23, 2007
You having siblings doesnt mean you have to be responsible for them financially.

I am all for helping people but in this day and age, people should learn to help themselves.

If the person abroad is doing ok,, has a home, job etc then i am sure they won't mind to help. Nigerians are quite helpful to relatives. But what if they people abroad are not doing so well and just managing to send stuff home? Won't it be cruel to make them work only to be buying the flashiest phone etc?, I believe in cutting your cloth according to the size of the material at hand.

I just dont understand this issue of 'grabbing from sister/brother abroad' attitude a lot of people have. Must we always live off other people?
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by PapaBrowne(m): 11:11pm On May 23, 2007
Vicjustice:

Well, i paid 700 Euro (not dollar) to do a new passport in Athens, Greece

Most people are intelligent enough to know never to pay such an amount for a Nigerian passport. This guy is obviously not one of them!!
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Vicjustice: 11:34am On May 24, 2007
When posting rubbish with your corrupt minds, doesn't it come to your sense that it's not only Nigerians that are reading these articles?
I found out this site when i was just searching for some informations about the ill treatments of Nigerians in the hands of the foreign embassies in Nigeria, i was using search engines and here i found myself.
You fools, you say all sorts of corrupt things about your activities and illegal intentions openly on these sites, and you're not wise enough to understand that the same way that i found this site, many foreigners and those who work with embassies are visiting this site too.
But how would you succeed in obtaining a visa for your clients after exposing yourselves by revealing things like "i can arrange a bank statements", "you can vanish when you get there", "you can marry to have a green card", "the passport was stamped and i got a new one", "my friend got visa with a fake bank statement", "my brother used my passport", "i sent money to do a new passport"etc?
Mind you, the embassy staff are also browsing to check and learn more things about Nigeria.
If you expose yourself here because you want to advertise your business, then, how would you succeed in the business except to defraud your clients?
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Wadomoi(f): 11:40am On May 24, 2007
What is it you are saying @VicJustice
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by uchetobi(f): 11:56am On May 24, 2007
Vicjustice:

When posting rubbish with your corrupt minds, doesn't it come to your sense that it's not only Nigerians that are reading these articles?
I found out this site when i was just searching for some informations about the ill treatments of Nigerians in the hands of the foreign embassies in Nigeria, i was using search engines and here i found myself.
You fools, you say all sorts of corrupt things about your activities and illegal intentions openly on these sites, and you're not wise enough to understand that the same way that i found this site, many foreigners and those who work with embassies are visiting this site too.
But how would you succeed in obtaining a visa for your clients after exposing yourselves by revealing things like "i can arrange a bank statements", "you can vanish when you get there", "you can marry to have a green card", "the passport was stamped and i got a new one", "my friend got visa with a fake bank statement", "my brother used my passport", "i sent money to do a new passport"etc?
Mind you, the embassy staff are also browsing to check and learn more things about Nigeria.
If you expose yourself here because you want to advertise your business, then, how would you succeed in the business except to defraud your clients?

Please what are you talking about
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Vicjustice: 12:03pm On May 24, 2007
I've read many rubbish that people say openly just to advertise their so called "businesses", and they contained those examples that i mentioned above. My comment is not just for this subject. Read other posts and you'd see for yourselves.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by Wadomoi(f): 12:07pm On May 24, 2007
U r making a nuiscance f yourself boy.
Re: International Passport for 200 USD, Am I being Ripped Off? by ArmedLion(m): 6:24pm On May 26, 2007
@ papabrowne, have you never been abroad before? i doubt never cry otherwise, you would have known that the Nigerian passport could be even more expensive in nigerian embassies abroad than vicjustice said. nigerian embassies in europe collect an official and legitimate minimum of 510 euro for a single passport. if you have to obtain a national passport and you live in a european, american or asian country, you'd either pay that much money or you have to go to nigeria and obtain a passport for N10.000. remember, proxy passport is an offence.

(1) (Reply)

World's Tallest Buildings In Modern History / What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? / Famous Pictures Of Children That Will Break Your Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.