Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,152 members, 7,977,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 04:52 AM

Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report (8218 Views)

Imo Releases State Budget First Time Since 2014 / Lagos Leads Highly Indebted States With More Than N1 Trillion Debts / RESTRUCTURING: CONFAB 2014 Report Endorses 18 New States (LIST) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 13, 2017
SillyMods:
PMB is a quiet achiever. No need to make noise too much.

The economy they destroyed for sixteen years, they want it repaired in two years! Even a building destroyed in one day cannot be rebuilt in one week.

Shameless jokers PDP and their supporters are.

The Solid Minerals sector is actually doing great. Kudos to Fayemi in this regard.

Don't play yourself man, those are cooked-up figures
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by 9jaDoc(f): 8:34am On Dec 13, 2017
richeeyo:

What do you know, NOTHING, comment rubbish because you want to post first

That's why I asked, seeing as I don't know. What's your point?
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by kitaatita: 8:39am On Dec 13, 2017
Anti-Buhari direction as promoted by Nairaland is demotivating youths who make up most of the users of the forum from exploiting opportunities in government programmes. Nairaland graduates are satisfied as N-power beneficiaries and lack the inclination to make progress in other fields.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 13, 2017
Q3 comparisons over periods. Hmmmmm.
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by hermosa7: 8:44am On Dec 13, 2017
I love my country...
I pray for my country...
I believe in my country...
God bless my country, Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by tiger28: 8:47am On Dec 13, 2017
9jaDoc:
Seriously, does it affect price of garri?

Ok, at least seems we r solving one thing...

Anybody has ideas how we can also solve the following:

1) rampant corruption everywhere
2) corrupt politicians
3) corrupt police
4) SARS
5) ritualists,
6) kidnappers,
7) conmen,
cool yahoo boys,
9) brazen robbers,
10) Boko Haram,
11) IPOB,
12) Delta Avengers,
13) baby factories,
14) child molesters,
15) child snatchers
16)human traffickers,
17) poor power supply,
18) ridiculous hospitals,
19) doctor strikes
20) poor schools, universities
21) poor infrastructure,
22) poor water supply,
23) poor waste disposal,
24) poor drainage system,
25) poor building inspection,
26) collapsing buildings,
27) dillapidated housing,
28) poor drug inspection,
29) poor food inspection,
30) poor environmental planning
31) corrupt clearing and forwarding,
32) corrupt customs,
33) no mental healthcare
34) no provisions for handicapped people
35) corrupt legal system,
36) corrupt judiciary,
37) poor banking system, long lines
38) poor and corrupt monetary system (black market)
39) Fulani herdsmen
40) military
41) aviation in general
42) MM Airport, Ikeja
43) filthy and congested seaports (Apapa)
44) rampant strikes
45) fake everything
46) intermittent fuel scarcity
47) generator fumes and noise
48) corrupt FRSC
49) road blocks
50) Non-existent planned public transportation
51) fires and deaths from power surges
52) deaths from unsafe roads
53) In case of fire, long waits for poor response
54) In case of crime, long waits for police response
55) long waits for poorly equipped ambulances
56) very poor emergency healthcare
57) ineffective drug prescription system
58) totally corrupt govt bureaucracy
59) very poor public healthcare sector
60) poor crime investigation process
61) poor forensics
62) poor record-keeping process
63) poor and fraud-susceptible personal identification
64) non-availability of student loans and work-study
65) non-existent credit system
66) non-existent car rental system
67) fraud-prone real estate - "this house is not for sale"
68) no substantial recompense for death or injury due to govt or police mistake or negligence
69) rampant jungle justice, sometimes on innocent people (could be u)
70) extremely high unemployment rate
71) cultists and cult wars
72) hawkers, beggars, mad and near-mad all over
Illiterates EVERYWHERE!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by anonimi: 8:47am On Dec 13, 2017
GavelSlam:
Price of foodstuff has reduced make of it what you will.

Maybe for those who join barawo bubu in squandering our money on food in Aso Rock.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3366314_126542584333041968758808079643164551849331n2_jpeg2a66242ff194ad643009c703a17b3723

Firefire:

‘A budget that moves domestic spending in Aso Villa from N580m to N1.7bn cannot be a budget of change’

Abuja – Sen. Eyinnaya Abaribe (PDP Abia South) on Wednesday in Abuja, berated the 2016 budget and called on President Muhammaduu Buhari to withdraw it and go back to the drawing board.

Abaribe while making contributions during the consideration of the budget, said the proposal was faulty on many grounds and could not be implemented at it was.

He said that predication of oil benchmark at 38 dollars per barrel when the crude oil price had fallen below 30 dollars per barrel made the budget unrealistic.

Abaribe faulted the government for increasing spending by 30 per cent based on borrowing.

“Mr President, my colleagues, this budget is indeed unique. After the budget presentation, the finance minister has never come to explain the details of the budget as it is normally done.

“It is a budget of change I agree, but it is a change in the wrong direction. I say it is a change in the wrong direction because it says that it is based on zero budgeting requiring all expenses to be fully justified.

“Mr President, a budget that increases spending up to 30 per cent based solely on borrowing, in what way are we justified? That is the question we want to ask the people who brought this budget.

“We know what is going on in the global economy: this budget is predicated on an oil benchmark of 38 dollars per barrel and I can now say that with oil being 28 dollars today, this budget is dead on arrival.

“The job of the opposition is to help the government to get its priorities right, so I want to please urge this government to withdraw this budget and go back to the drawing board,” he said.

The senator also faulted the adjustments made in the budget as well as allocation for spending in the Aso Rock Villa, saying that it was too exorbitant.

He said that the adjustments rather than reduce spending in areas where they were not necessary only spread it into different offices.

“Mr President, a budget that moves domestic spending within Aso Villa from N580 million to N1.7 billion cannot be a budget of change.

“We were told that in the revised budget there was an adjustment due to error, we agree but what has happened is that up to N7 billion were moved from buying vehicles and spread to offices.

“It also increased the spending that is due to renovations within the Villa.

“They are going to renovate the Villa with N3.9 billion: what else do you want to renovate there that Nigerians will see in the Year 2016?” he asked.

However, in his contribution, Sen. Ahmed Lawan (APC Yobe North) blamed the previous administration for the lack of funds due to the embezzlement witnessed in previous governments.

He said that this was the 17th budget he would be debating as a legislator and noted that not more than 40 per cent implementation was achieved in the last 16 years.

“The proposal before us is the first budget where the executive has deemed it necessary to give ordinary Nigerians genuine hope.

“N500 billion allocated for school feeding and social SAFTEY NET is commendable.

“It is time to say oil should not continue to play dominant role as we have suffered economically and politically: it is time to diversify this economy.

“The direction of the executive is the way to go. `That is, we should make every effort to have the real sector-agric mining and manufacturing.

“The budget deserves the support of everyone, including my colleagues on the other side. When we were in the opposition we supported the PDP, they should support us,” he said.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3317046_budgettt_jpegd73bb73944448e30966f27bc22a4c756

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/602809/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 13, 2017
DoTheNeedful:
The trade balance should have been presented in dollars. I believe the weakening of the naira against the dollar might be a factor in the high figure.

when the news is good ... embittered people that have sworn to remain sad ,,just jump n pass the news .... all some do everyday is look out for bad news.
Nigeria cannt present it GDP in dollars,,stil checkin dollar is nt our national currency..for comparism sake ,,previous trade bal in naira is compared with present bal of payment .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Partreek911: 9:01am On Dec 13, 2017
SalamRushdie:
For those trying to applaud this hogwash just remember its like diluting and bottle of coke with water and claiming you have more coke ..this Balance trade number doesnt generally signify growth in our economic factors of production but just reveals a slump in the quality and standards of living in Nigeria , people are not importing less because there are better locally produced alternatives but because they have cut out a lot of imported stuff because they cant afford E.g the automotive sales industry imported 90 percent less cars because of low demand and this means many Nigerians who want cars are going for Nigerian used cars which means many people have also sold their Nigerian used cars to others to make ends meet...This is reflective of a lower quality of life .
thanks for speaking my mind. these are just numbers, and they know numbers fool a lot of ppl, not all of us though. Nigerians are going broke and hungry...that's what I see here

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 13, 2017
SillyMods:
PMB is a quiet achiever. No need to make noise too much.

The economy they destroyed for sixteen years, they want it repaired in two years! Even a building destroyed in one day cannot be rebuilt in one week.

Shameless jokers PDP and their supporters are.

The Solid Minerals sector is actually doing great. Kudos to Fayemi in this regard.
bro you know what
most pple crying are pple living large when corruption was at it peak now that the means to those money have been blocked they solely depend on their income
they won't see anything good about PMB
they want Atiku so that they can go back to their way of life
Awon Omo ole ifo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by GavelSlam: 9:11am On Dec 13, 2017
kitaatita:
Anti-Buhari direction as promoted by Nairaland is demotivating youths who make up most of the users of the forum from exploiting opportunities in government programmes. Nairaland graduates are satisfied as N-power beneficiaries and lack the inclination to make progress in other fields.

I agree but please shed more light on this if you can.
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Jesusgirl92(f): 9:13am On Dec 13, 2017
SalamRushdie:
For those trying to applaud this hogwash just remember its like diluting and bottle of coke with water and claiming you have more coke ..this Balance trade number doesnt generally signify growth in our economic factors of production but just reveals a slump in the quality and standards of living in Nigeria , people are not importing less because there are better locally produced alternatives but because they have cut out a lot of imported stuff because they cant afford E.g the automotive sales industry imported 90 percent less cars because of low demand and this means many Nigerians who want cars are going for Nigerian used cars which means many people have also sold their Nigerian used cars to others to make ends meet...This is reflective of a lower quality of life .
Very correct analysis sir...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 9:16am On Dec 13, 2017
DonVikings:
Spotted. grin grin

The only hogwash we see here is the massive stinking hogwash you just typed. Whether you and the others like yourself like it or not, Nigerians would smile again. You can remain sad and depressed if you like. grin
she's one of the misfortune here on nl
don't mind that wowor girl

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Ovamboland(m): 9:16am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:
Exchange rate in 2014 : 180
Exchange rate in 2017 : 360

trillion/180 = $5.55 billion in 2014
trillion/360 = $2.77 billion in 2017

It has reduced by nearly half, not increased. Assuming 1trillion was made in both periods.

Voodoo economics.

I still wonder how you people reason, where will the dollar come from when our main source of foreign exchange reduced by 70% in the same period before the very recent increase.

You want the current government to continue the financially reckless policies of the previous government where portfolio investors and speculators creamed off most of our forex while our economy at the real sector stagnated. And you want them to supervise the final burial of the country by getting to a stage that we can't backpup with forex importation of essential products like energy raw materials and machinery while toothpick, shoes, garments, wine continue to be imported.

Massive investment in infrastructure to improve the real sector for stability is ongoing such that agriculture and manufacturing will be the main stay of the economy, yet some of you long to go back to the era of speculators that is prone to evaporation at the slightest sign of slow down

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:

It has reduced by nearly half, not increased. Assuming 1trillion was made in both periods.

Voodoo economics.

Donnt let hate be becloud your reasoning ,, balance of payment earnings are made on Int'l market floor ...dollar in use.
therefore whatever earnings made is converted from dollar to the concerned local currency (naira).. what am saying is they've done the conversion from dollar to naira hence those figures ..your point is not just applicable here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 13, 2017
Caseless:
it does. I know if it was otherwise reported, you'd have explained to us why this report(if otherwise) is responsible for the high price of Garri.
you would get a good garri for 140#/congo in Bodija market
so don't be sentimental

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Caseless: 9:35am On Dec 13, 2017
bamidelee:

you would get a good garri for 140#/congo in Bodija market
so don't be sentimental
isn't that cheap enough? You should quote 9jadoc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Yankee101: 9:37am On Dec 13, 2017
ericsmith:

Donnt let hate be becloud your reasoning ,, balance of payment earnings are made on Int'l market floor ...dollar in use.
therefore whatever earnings made is converted from dollar to the concerned local currency (naira).. what am saying is they've done the conversion from dollar to naira hence those figures ..your point is not just applicable here

Read the report again. All figures are in Naira. Stop assuming there was a dollar figure which was higher if it's not shown in the article. Some of the figures include 'goods we refuse to import or didn't need to import or couldn't afford to import' so there was no 'existing' dollars in actual sales that was needed to be converted to naira.

All indices are clear, Nigeria saw a serious decline in imports/exports in the last 2 years, it's just beginning to pick back up to normal levels. I'm not interested in sentiments. Just hard cold numbers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Yankee101: 9:45am On Dec 13, 2017
Ovamboland:

I still wonder how you people reason, where will the dollar come from when our main source of foreign exchange reduced by 70% in the same period before the very recent increase.

You want the current government to continue the financially reckless policies of the previous government where portfolio investors and speculators creamed off most of our forex while our economy at the real sector stagnated. And you want them to supervise the final burial of the country by getting to a stage that we can't backpup with forex importation of essential products like energy raw materials and machinery while toothpick, shoes, garments, wine continue to be imported.

Massive investment in infrastructure to improve the real sector for stability is ongoing such that agriculture and manufacturing will be the main stay of the economy, yet some of you long to go back to the era of speculators that is prone to evaporation at the slightest sign of slow down

Emmm...im still searching my head to see where I advocated for a return to the old guard. It's hard cold numbers, imports and exports declined in Nigeria in the last 2 years, it's just beginning to return to normal.

What they reported is a play on numbers. That's why not a single line in the report was in dollars, the currency of international trade. It was written in Naira in order to fool non numbers people. The value and effect of inflation, devaluation and the time value of money was discounted.

By every means I want a diversified economy saddled with the prospect of revamping the country into a nexus of robust productivity
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by kitaatita: 9:52am On Dec 13, 2017
GavelSlam:

I agree but please shed more light on this if you can.
How many know about Federal Government's Economic Recovery and Growth Plan?. It is available for download and it is in simple English. You should read the document and ask 'what is in there for me?'. Explore opportunities in every economic direction of the government - export promotion and import substitution. Instead of thinking smart and working hard, the youths bond with idol soulmates on Naiaraland and find excuse in blaming their failure on Buhari.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:

Read the report again. All figures are in Naira. Stop assuming there was a dollar figure which was higher if it's not shown in the article. Some of the figures include 'goods we refuse to import or didn't need to import or couldn't afford to import' so there was no 'existing' dollars in actual sales that was needed to be converted to naira.

All indices are clear, Nigeria saw a serious decline in imports/exports in the last 2 years, it's just beginning to pick back up to normal levels. I'm not interested in sentiments. Just hard cold numbers.

hate as totally clouded ur vision ... expecting NBS to serve Nigeria favourable bal. of payment figures in dollars is like expecting ur pay slip earnings in dollar ,,Wil it make sense to you.
NBS as done all d conversion wahala for you,, frm dollar to naira,, if naa dollar you they spend for ur room convert back from naira to dollar,,no SARs will harass u..#free world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Yankee101: 9:58am On Dec 13, 2017
ericsmith:

hate as totally clouded ur vision ... expecting NBS to serve Nigeria favourable bal. of payment figures in dollars is like expecting ur pay slip earnings in dollar ,,Wil it make sense to you.
NBS as done all d conversion wahala for you,, frm dollar to naira,, if naa dollar you they spend for ur room convert back from naira to dollar,,no SARs will harass u..#free world

I see you troll opposing comments trying to earn your pay for today as a bark dog.

You're doing a poor job of it

Refer to NBS website itself if in doubt
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by donqx: 9:59am On Dec 13, 2017
good
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Bevista: 10:07am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:

Voodoo economics.
Exchange rate in 1999 - N22/$
Exchange rate in 2000 - N85/$

Trillion/22 = $45.5 billion in 1999
Trillion/85 = $11.7 billion in 2000

It reduced by 75% in just one year of PDP administration. Now, who is an expert in Voodoo Economics?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Yankee101: 10:11am On Dec 13, 2017
Bevista:
Exchange rate in 1999 - N22/$
Exchange rate in 2000 - N85/$

Trillion/22 = $45.5 billion in 1999
Trillion/85 = $11.7 billion in 2000

It reduced by 75% in just one year of PDP administration. Now, who is an expert in Voodoo Economics?

They compared between 2014 and 2017 in the article. Nobody made the claim or compared the period you just reviewed. And it was the same person that was president in 1999 and 2000. Obasanjo.

Is weed allowed this early in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Bevista: 10:15am On Dec 13, 2017
ericsmith:
When the news is good ... embittered people that have sworn to remain sad ,,just jump n pass the news .... all some do everyday is look out for bad news.
Nigeria cannt present it GDP in dollars,,stil checkin dollar is nt our national currency..for comparism sake ,,previous trade bal in naira is compared with present bal of payment .
Apart from that, the argument by @DoTheNeedful is not valid. A weak Naira will have a negative effect on Imports while having a positive effect on Exports. So, the NET effect on trade balance should be negligible. As long as we are exporting more than we import, the trade balance will always be positive regardless whether it is presented in NGN, USD or Bitcoins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Bevista: 10:17am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:
They compared between 2014 and 2017 in the article. Nobody made the claim or compared the period you just reviewed. And it was the same person that was president in 1999 and 2000. Obasanjo.

Is weed allowed this early in Nigeria?
Lol...you are trying to be clever by half. You were trying to discredit the current administration, but after I showed you how awful the early years of the PDP administration was, you are now spitting scum

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Yankee101: 10:22am On Dec 13, 2017
Bevista:
Lol...you are trying to be clever by half. You were trying to discredit the current administration, but after I showed you how awful the early years of the PDP administration was, you are now spitting scum

I don't know if you're a paid attack dog or just plain thickness of ...

In economics you compare 2 periods.
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by GavelSlam: 10:32am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:

And he pointed to your numbers :

In 1999 the dollar was 22 Naira.

By the year 2000 the dollar was 85 Naira.

Well done .
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Bevista: 10:35am On Dec 13, 2017
Yankee101:

Thanks for your time. I'm done with you.
Re: Nigeria’s Trade Balance Exceeds N1 Trillion For First Time Since 2014 – Report by Forumlink4: 10:36am On Dec 13, 2017
A gambler plays
even when the odds are
immutable and against him. Check details below for more details and take part of this now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ganduje Denies Masterminding Impeachment Of Kano Assembly Speaker / Ekiti State Moves To Create LCDAs / HELP !... Who Is The Man Standing Beside YARADUA In This Picture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.