Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,928 members, 7,890,061 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:41 AM

Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official (12864 Views)

Presidency Transmits Minimum Wage Bill To National Assembly / BREAKING: National Assembly Transmits Amended Electoral Bill To Buhari / Nigeria Transmits 5,222mw Electricity, Highest Ever – TCN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by makers360: 12:55pm On Dec 15, 2017
Good. But no light.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by olisaemeka1(m): 1:00pm On Dec 15, 2017
raker300:
Who ever typed this lie, e no go better for am

They only bring light here by 11pm till 1am

All of you wicked souls lying against the people..e no go better for una
pls I'm beginning to feel that this transmission is through WIFI because I have not seen power here o

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by CheedyJ(m): 1:02pm On Dec 15, 2017
Yet we no see d light wey dem dey generate, only God knows who's fooling who..make lasisielenu talk put this matter abeg
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by DrMuzungu(m): 1:11pm On Dec 15, 2017
For every Nigerian household (every, not just state capitals and the FCT) and for every industrial facility to have 24/7/365 power supply, Nigeria needs to have generating capacity of over 200,000 MW, and probably over 240,000. To achieve that, building has to start YESTERDAY, not tomorrow, and maybe, just maybe, within 20 years of constant efforts, Nigeria will get there.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Bynx: 1:59pm On Dec 15, 2017
The major cause of power failure in the country is at the distribution end....Nigeria has an installed capacity of over 12000MW. If gas issues are resolved we can generate more...transmission capacity is over 6500MW while distribution is not more than 5000MW hence the partly frequent load rejection by them....NERC should really be on Discos neck to improve their performance

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by kjhova(m): 2:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Well said !! The bottom line is that most if SPVs were hurriedly put together to make quick profits and not deliver service which means they intend to sell as much darkness and reap off enough special bailouts as possible before their fragile ownership OF the discos comes to an end.. It would be hard for anyone to believe that there are firms set up up to sell darkness but the truth is Nigeria that is very well happening .

The sure and proper solution will be to revoke all existing Genco/Disco licenses and take these assets back from these no-do-gooders. But is there a way to do this legally and squarely without worsening the current situation by being bogged down with lengthy litigation and heavy penalties? Also, the government has to have a fair guarantee of incoming bids from more reliable players before attempting to flush out the existing players.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Mypeople2(m): 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
deji17:
Nigeria transmits 5,156MW electricity, highest ever – Official
December 14, 2017

The Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, on Thursday disclosed that it recorded new national peak electricity transmission capacity of 5,155.9 Mega Watt, MW, on December 8.
The Interim Managing Director of TCN, Usman Gur-Mohammed, made the disclosure at an interaction with journalists in Abuja.
Mr. Gur-Mohammed said the new record exceeded previous national peak record of 5,074.70 recorded on February 2.
He said the nation’s average peak load capacity at the beginning of the year was about 4,000 MW.
He added that the Transmission Rehabilitation and Expansion Programme (TREP) which sought to decentralise significant aspects of project implementation to regions was designed to further increase the national peak transmission capacity.
He said TREP had attracted financing for several projects from donor agencies, adding that the completion of the projects would result in expansion of the grid transmission capacity to at least 20,000MW in four years time.
He also revealed that TCN engineers had been involved in installation of transformers at substations in the country.
The TCN interim boss explained that installations were accomplished at less than 10 per cent of the cost hitherto paid to contractors over the years.
According to him, the company successfully installed 10 transformers in Bauchi, Funtua, Ejigbo, Ajah, Gombe, Aba, Umuahia, Auchi, Damboa and Zaria, saying that installations by TCN engineers saved several millions of Naira.

He also revealed that TCN had resolved several challenging and slow implementing contracts within the year.
The contracts, according to him, include the Kukwaba subsation, Katsina-Daura line, Yawuri-Kafanchan, Mbalano-Ohafia-Umuahia, Nnewi-Onitsha and Maiduguri substations.
He said the completion of some ongoing projects would add about 1,000MW transmission capacity to the grid before January 31, 2018.
Mr. Gur-Mohammed also said that within the year, TCN entered into collaboration with several partners to reposition the company for better service delivery.
According to him, some of the collaborations include the Agip and NNPC joint venture in respect of towers 94 and 98 on Okpai-Onitisha DC line.
He noted that TCN was also collaborating with government of Japan on development of capacitor banks in Apo and Keffi substations and rehabilitation of Apapa, Akangba, and Isolo substations.
He said discussions were ongoing with Japan Government to rehabilitate Ikeja West and Ota substations.
He added that the European Union (EU) had also pledged to provide 25 million Euros grant to support TCN on solar Independent Power Plant (IPP) evaluation.
(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/252530-nigeria-transmits-5156mw-electricity-highest-ever-official.html

Yet for the past one month, we have been having 6hours of power supply .U people can lie for Africa. Is that how you used to do?
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Mypeople2(m): 2:17pm On Dec 15, 2017
deji17:
Nigeria transmits 5,156MW electricity, highest ever – Official
December 14, 2017

The Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, on Thursday disclosed that it recorded new national peak electricity transmission capacity of 5,155.9 Mega Watt, MW, on December 8.
The Interim Managing Director of TCN, Usman Gur-Mohammed, made the disclosure at an interaction with journalists in Abuja.
Mr. Gur-Mohammed said the new record exceeded previous national peak record of 5,074.70 recorded on February 2.
He said the nation’s average peak load capacity at the beginning of the year was about 4,000 MW.
He added that the Transmission Rehabilitation and Expansion Programme (TREP) which sought to decentralise significant aspects of project implementation to regions was designed to further increase the national peak transmission capacity.
He said TREP had attracted financing for several projects from donor agencies, adding that the completion of the projects would result in expansion of the grid transmission capacity to at least 20,000MW in four years time.
He also revealed that TCN engineers had been involved in installation of transformers at substations in the country.
The TCN interim boss explained that installations were accomplished at less than 10 per cent of the cost hitherto paid to contractors over the years.
According to him, the company successfully installed 10 transformers in Bauchi, Funtua, Ejigbo, Ajah, Gombe, Aba, Umuahia, Auchi, Damboa and Zaria, saying that installations by TCN engineers saved several millions of Naira.

He also revealed that TCN had resolved several challenging and slow implementing contracts within the year.
The contracts, according to him, include the Kukwaba subsation, Katsina-Daura line, Yawuri-Kafanchan, Mbalano-Ohafia-Umuahia, Nnewi-Onitsha and Maiduguri substations.
He said the completion of some ongoing projects would add about 1,000MW transmission capacity to the grid before January 31, 2018.
Mr. Gur-Mohammed also said that within the year, TCN entered into collaboration with several partners to reposition the company for better service delivery.
According to him, some of the collaborations include the Agip and NNPC joint venture in respect of towers 94 and 98 on Okpai-Onitisha DC line.
He noted that TCN was also collaborating with government of Japan on development of capacitor banks in Apo and Keffi substations and rehabilitation of Apapa, Akangba, and Isolo substations.
He said discussions were ongoing with Japan Government to rehabilitate Ikeja West and Ota substations.
He added that the European Union (EU) had also pledged to provide 25 million Euros grant to support TCN on solar Independent Power Plant (IPP) evaluation.
(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/252530-nigeria-transmits-5156mw-electricity-highest-ever-official.html

Yet for the past one month, we have been having 6hours of power supply daily .U people can lie for Africa. Is that how you used to do?
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Abbeybailey(m): 2:48pm On Dec 15, 2017
My buddy Salam lives in a cave built for him by trump and that's why he's without power while his uppity neighbors have power. Lol
GavelSlam:

This liar has come again.

Remind us where you live that you never experience power whilst all your neighbours do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by callbackaugust6(m): 2:54pm On Dec 15, 2017
xdos:
Yea Sam... I am very much aware of the darkness been sold to the people by the DISCO. I am aware of the load rejections.
Infact the Gencos implemented the GridCode solution to eliminate grid instability caused by load rejections.
That was why I said the govt has to correct the inefficiency of the DISCOs/TCN
i love your analysis. cant government open a channel or interface between customers like factories buying energy direct from genco. if there are no law or any obstacle government should institute it.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by xdos(m): 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2017
Thank you Callback. Ermmm... I think sometime in Nov, I saw in a news about a new policy submitted by NERC to Fashola that Bulk Electricity consumers could now buy directly from the GENCOs. A very awesome policy if effected and ofcourse that wont be a one day thing. That would also ease pressure on DISCOs and also make them sit up.
callbackaugust6:

i love your analysis. cant government open a channel or interface between customers like factories buying energy direct from genco. if there are no law or any obstacle government should institute it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2017
raker300:
Who ever typed this lie, e no go better for am

They only bring light here by 11pm till 1am

All of you wicked souls lying against the people..e no go better for una
As much as I wud like to deny PMB and his administration the credit, light in my area has significantly improved for over one month now.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by justuschi50: 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2017
deji17:

What you want is bad news. So, any good news about this Govt or about Nigeria makes you sad.
You may not have light now, but this news shows that in a matter of months, your light situation should improve like some have improved and will keep improving. Do you know the difference between power generation, power transmission and power distribution? I don't think you do. Curse yourself from now till tomorrow, by the grace of God, it will not stop Nigeria from progressing
y
deji17:

What you want is bad news. So, any good news about this Govt or about Nigeria makes you sad.
You may not have light now, but this news shows that in a matter of months, your light situation should improve like some have improved and will keep improving. Do you know the difference between power generation, power transmission and power distribution? I don't think you do. Curse yourself from now till tomorrow, by the grace of God, it will not stop Nigeria from progressing
y
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by justuschi50: 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
y cool
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by christok1: 5:22pm On Dec 15, 2017
For me o, we do have almost 24 hours power supply 7 days a week in my area. I don't do things related to power in advance, I do it whenever am ready, e.g Ironing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by odduduwa: 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2017
Caseless:
Sai baba of the world! I will vote you again and again.
not because of performance but osibanjo coming from your place ....Yoruba and tribalism
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 8:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
kjhova:

Brother, my comment goes to you as well as @SalamRushdie and @Caseless;

Indeed there is so much inadequacies, inefficiencies and improper acts in the system which the government can step in to help correct. However, we must bear in mind that our electricity sector is now 100% private sector driven and based on preset rules under the MYTO 1 & 2 agreements.

The real challenge then is the original privatisation process and the rules set for the private investors and the adequacy or otherwise of the supposed Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC). What milestones were set for the would be Gencos & Discos to meet after acquiring the electricity assets they bid for? Essentially, today, Nigeria's generation and distribution capacities have barely expanded more than 20% since the "successful" privatization in 2011! Where are we going to? The companies we sold our electricity assets to are all SPVs that didn't even exist as a corporate entity until the bid for our assets started!

Today, our national generation capacity is 7,000MW according to president Buhari. We loose close to 2,000MW of this due to max transmission capacity of 5,000+ according to this report. And then, the discos reject above 2,000MW on the average as we have read severally which effectively means a nation of 167million people at the very least live on about 3,000MW of electricity!! To put this dilemma in proper perspective, The University of California, Berkeley campus utilize 6,000MW of electricity as far back as 2008!!

7 years ago, the BRICS countries set themselves a minimum electricity consumption density of 1MW/1,000 population which they have all done well to meet (although S/Africa and India are still a little short of the target). If we borrow the BRICS target as a means to measure Nigeria's condition, we will require 167,000MW to be were S/Africa and India are today. We have only achieved 1.7% of this as at 2017!

To achieve the above stated target, we require investments of up to $65Billion over 10 to 15 years period. That is a minimum of $4.2Billion (N1.5Trillion) p.a. for 15 years! This country currently does not have that kind of money and the SPVs we sold our assets to don't have anywhere near such funds. For us to be able to raise these sums in the international market, Nigeria's political, economic and survival ratings will have to improve tremendously for the world to trust us with such long term funds.

We have a looooong way to go, to be very frank!!
This is more than a post, but deserves a place in a national daily as an article.

Just like I said earlier, everything was wrong with the privatization and those who got the deal as DISCOs.
I was thinking we were losing just 2k, but I just realized we lose more than that.

Looking at what we have to invest in power to meet up wi what SA and india are generating, we don't have that...it's safe I give up.

Nigeria sef...
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by deomelllo: 8:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
deji17:

If these hateful, bitter, disgruntled anti-Nigerian Igbos dey get 24/7 power, den go still say den neva get light since 1960.

Negativity and bad news = Their one and only portion in life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Fhemmmy: 9:21pm On Dec 15, 2017
This is what a city with population of 2M people generates and consumes . . . . .

Yet a nation with 200M people cant boast of 10K MW . . . .Pathetic!

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by brookz: 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2017
Story for the Gods.

wen we hardly see light for 3hrs?

Change pattern pls
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by dboyoji: 11:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
Average of three hours a day here. They supply light for an hour plus, we den have to wait for another twelve to twenty-four hours to get another one hour plus power supply. As I post this message, no light here since 5a.m. today. Yet the estimated bills are heavier than ever. Don't understand this country anymore.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by kjhova(m): 11:41pm On Dec 15, 2017
Caseless:
This is more than a post, but deserves a place in a national daily as an article.

Just like I said earlier, everything was wrong with the privatization and those who got the deal as DISCOs.
I was thinking we were losing just 2k, but I just realized we lose more than that.

Looking at what we have to invest in power to meet up wi what SA and india are generating, we don't have that...it's safe I give up.

Nigeria sef...

Yea, I agree that the situation looks gloomy but don't give up just yet. When at the bottom and in complete darkness, that glimmer of light leads to the way out.

If somehow, we can bring corruption down to manageable levels of say below 10% of current impact level at both the public and private sectors, and the Nigerian state surmounts the tensile forces of Boko Haram, secessionists, militants etc...we could raise the funds needed to upgrade our derelict infrastructure from the global financial system.

There are hedge fund managers, sovereign wealth funds etc out there looking for new high yield bonds/projects etc to invest in so long as the territory has the required ratings to guarantee safety of such investment.

The real reason why Nigeria is poor and backwards is the lack of accountability, vision and trust in our national system. If we manage to address these anomalies critically, you will be amazed at the volume of investment that will flow into this country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 10:26pm On Dec 16, 2017
kjhova:

Yea, I agree that the situation looks gloomy but don't give up just yet. When at the bottom and in complete darkness, that glimmer of light leads to the way out.

If somehow, we can bring corruption down to manageable levels of say below 10% of current impact level at both the public and private sectors, and the Nigerian state surmounts the tensile forces of Boko Haram, secessionists, militants etc...we could raise the funds needed to upgrade our derelict infrastructure from the global financial system.

There are hedge fund managers, sovereign wealth funds etc out there looking for new high yield bonds/projects etc to invest in so long as the territory has the required ratings to guarantee safety of such investment.

The real reason why Nigeria is poor and backwards is the lack of accountability, vision and trust in our national system. If we manage to address these anomalies critically, you will be amazed at the volume of pinvestment that will flow into this country.
thanks for the educative input. I'm hopeful!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

House Of Representatives Approves June 12 As Democracy Day / Fayose, APC Lawmakers Hold Closed-door Meeting In Akure / Gowon Joins Ajimobi To Pray For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.