Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,748 members, 7,935,224 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 02:33 AM

Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago (66315 Views)

"I Did Not Come To Buy Human Being" - Groom Ran After Seeing Marriage List!! / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / Woman's Husband And Lover Fight Over Paternity Of Her Baby, She Absconds (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by safarigirl(f): 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
jpphilips:

You must be a child to think you can pay the cheap bride price without providing items on the list.
the woman said her list was 800k, reading isnt that difficult.
they are advocating for the banning of the list AND bride price... Take your own advice

Someone asked how much is bride price in my village and I responded, did he ask about any list?

Even the list in my village cannot pass 150k at most....Mbaise is obviously the only part of Igbo land where they charge outrageous fees....the annoying thing is that parts of Rivers state also have outrageous fees, but nobody comes online to whine about it

3 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Humility017(m): 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
safarigirl:
my lecturer in 100 level boldly stated that left to him, bride price will be in millions because the value of a female child to her parents can never be understated.

I can relate....all my life I have been closer to females more.
I really see no wisdom in kicking against the bride price issue....it should be revisited and reduced in some tribes...
but still a man ought to pay dowry for his wife....the woman he claim to love

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by amahthelma(f): 9:17pm On Dec 15, 2017
Marriage bride price in Igbo land are costly o...but this sister dey lie for diz 1 she just 1 use style trend small make people believe say ha husband get money undecided

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2017
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Humility017(m): 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2017
safarigirl:
they are advocating for the banning of the list AND bride price... Take your own advice

Someone asked how much is bride price in my village and I responded, did he ask about any list?

Even the list in my village cannot pass 150k at most....Mbaise is obviously the only part of Igbo land where they charge outrageous fees....the annoying thing is that parts of Rivers state also have outrageous fees, but nobody comes online to whine about it
some part of awka Ibom too....
I think mbaise top the list....
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by jpphilips(m): 9:20pm On Dec 15, 2017
bennynaza:
Abolish what? That's how we are almost calling everything we inherited from our forefathers useless and stupid just because we think the white mans way is better.
Our parents that paid it did they die?
I don't know about other tribes, but my people say, " anaghi alucha nwanyi alucha".
Every true son of the soil knows that the bride price is always negotiable and you are not even expected to do everything on the list. Lets not kill what is left of our culture and identity because we want to be as "cool and easy" as the whites

How has the so called tradition helped you so far?
does it make your wife a less LovePeddler if she was one?
what value does it add to the marriage process?
Just do it because your father did it is silly.

5 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by safarigirl(f): 9:21pm On Dec 15, 2017
Humility017:

some part of awka Ibom too....
I think mbaise top the list....
Ikwerre no funny o. I had this Ikwerre friend that continually bragged about their expensive bride price

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Humility017(m): 9:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
safarigirl:
Ikwerre no funny o. I had this Ikwerre friend that continually bragged about their expensive bride price
you don't mean it...and to come think of it...this bride price are so much inflated when a stranger...(a man not from their tribe) come to seek the hands of their daughters in marriage....
some of the time...it often took the plea of the bride for some of this things to be overlooked
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
tolugar:
Thats the area am expecting the new commissioner to look into

Comissioner for HAPPINESS
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by apharm(m): 9:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
Bonjelomo:
I was at a traditional wedding. The groom was my classmate @ OAU.
The groom from d east and the bride from Ibadan. They are deeperlife members. The bride price was paid as the culture is, but just b4 d close of day, the bride's father invited the groom's father and returned the envelope. He said: "we are yorubas, moreso we r christians, we don't trade off our children. They have chosen to be married in holy matrimony and so nobody is buying the other!

The groom's father was totally shocked. I guess he'd never seen such culture anywhere. He prayed and prayed until he nearly cursed.

Now this is the hilarious part - the groom told me later in the evening that he knows that the money being returned would cause serious fracas at home tonight. I asked him wy, he said - "na mumsy actually raise that money but as dem don carry am give popsy war go start.

We laughed over it anyway
Story

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by safarigirl(f): 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
Humility017:

you don't mean it...and to come think of it...this bride price are so much inflated when a stranger...(a man not from their tribe) come to seek the hands of their daughters in marriage....
some of the time...it often took the plea of the bride for some of this things to be overlooked
na so e dey always be

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Bonjelomo: 9:30pm On Dec 15, 2017
apharm:
Story
E pain you? I know d part that pained you
We are YORUBA...we don't trade off our children.
We are Yorubas. Everything is not BUSINESS to us

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by kelechi50: 9:32pm On Dec 15, 2017
tossie101:

Well said my dear..the mumu lady is obviously mixing bride price to marriage list.
BTW if u cant pay my bride price kindly shift biko.
God bless you my sister you are a true daughter of your father, my father said any man that can not afford a bride price for his wife to be, is not fit for marriage reasons being that if the wife is allowed to marry him and a problem of 200k arise how can he solve it @giving bath and it turns to an operation what will he do. Teambrideprice.

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Hedonistically: 9:33pm On Dec 15, 2017
safarigirl:
my lecturer in 100 level boldly stated that left to him, bride price will be in millions because the value of a female child to her parents can never be understated.

Assuming you agree with him, then you and your lecturer are bunkers. Your father should marry you instead, since he is looking for millions to compensate for your "never be understated" value that is lost by giving you away in marriage.

The Nigerian female is a spectacularly disturbed human species. They pressure men for marriage, need marriage more than anything else, and yet they somehow believe that the man should kill himself to marry them because they think they hold some sort of vaguely defined value. If we're fucking or "dating" for a prolonged period of time, you are the one that would start pestering me 'when are we getting married', which means that marriage is more important to you than it is to me. That is the blatant truth for most men. Out of sheer pressure, a man would decide to marry, and then you start talking about bride price (or list) in the millions for you, because your value to your parents "cannot be understated". Na who send you?

Confused girls who want to be feminists and 'gender equalists' in the morning, and traditional commoditised African females at night. Choose your stance, and stick with it. Don't speak from both sides of your mouth.

14 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Sanchez01: 9:34pm On Dec 15, 2017
safarigirl:
na the daughter allow then siphon the money.

The funny thing is that it is not even the family eating this money, it is all those UmuNna and Umu Ada people that will sit down and create list to favour them, na them dey chop the money pass.

I have never heard anyone complain of the marriage list from my village, these other people from Imo state must sort themselves out because contrary to this shoddy view they give, not all Igbo people give inflated lists.
Sadly, the daughters don't really call the shots when the lists are presented.

The state government need to intervene, I believe. Selling off a child in the name of marriage and calling the same man to whom you sold the child to send you money to look after yourself isn't the right way to go. In the end, one would see that decisions as these are unhealthy because the said Mbaise is just about the way non Igbos and those who don't understand the culture measure all Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by safarigirl(f): 9:34pm On Dec 15, 2017
Hedonistically:

Assuming you agree with him, then you and your lecturer are bunkers. Your father should marry you instead, since he is looking for millions to compensate for your "never be understated" value that is lost by giving you away in marriage.

The Nigerian female is a spectacularly disturbed human species. They pressure men for marriage, need marriage more than anything else, and yet they somehow believe that the man should kill himself to marry them because they think hold offer some sort of value that is neither here nor there. If we're fucking or "dating" for a prolonged period of time, you are the one that would start pestering me 'when are we getting married', which means that marriage is more important to you than it is to me. That is the blatant truth for most men. Out of sheer pressure, a man would decide to marry, and then you start talking about bride price (or list) in the millions for you, because your value to your parents "cannot be understated". Na who send you?

Confused girls who want to be feminists and 'gender equalists' in the morning, and traditional commoditised African females at night. Choose your stance, and stick with it. Don't speak from both sides of your mouth.

If you are quoting me to once again blame your insecurities on Nigerian women, oga, knock at another door

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Paulosky1900: 9:36pm On Dec 15, 2017
Bonjelomo:
I was at a traditional wedding. The groom was my classmate @ OAU.
The groom from d east and the bride from Ibadan. They are deeperlife members. The bride price was paid as the culture is, but just b4 d close of day, the bride's father invited the groom's father and returned the envelope. He said: "we are yorubas, moreso we r christians, we don't trade off our children. They have chosen to be married in holy matrimony and so nobody is buying the other!

The groom's father was totally shocked. I guess he'd never seen such culture anywhere. He prayed and prayed until he nearly cursed.

Now this is the hilarious part - the groom told me later in the evening that he knows that the money being returned would cause serious fracas at home tonight. I asked him wy, he said - "na mumsy actually raise that money but as dem don carry am give popsy war go start.

We laughed over it anyway
wow...ibadan girls get ready one male have been converted....

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by bennynaza(m): 9:36pm On Dec 15, 2017
jpphilips:

How has the so called tradition helped you so far?
does it make your wife a less LovePeddler if she was one?
what value does it add to the marriage process?
Just do it because your faster did it is silly.

a pastor went to marry an Mbaise girl. The brides dad and kinsmen received the bride price after it has been paid and give his blessings to the union. Immediately after, he pulled out #100 naira only, put it his pocket and gave the rest back to his inlaws. During the weeding, he gave the young man a pathfinder.

Bride price does not mean buying the woman, it is a cultural symbolism that shows that the man has the wherewithal to take care of another mans daughter
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Zico5(m): 9:38pm On Dec 15, 2017
Keneking:
Seen..

N800,000/ 152 = $5,263 (10years ago)
N800,000/ 362 = $2,209 ( today)

Useless APC govt
Fantastic PDP abi, ur brain needs resetting.

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Dvessel(m): 9:39pm On Dec 15, 2017
MATHEMATICS, PAPER
Time:2hours 30mins

Instruction: Attempt any four questions.
ALL QUESTIONS HAVE EQUAL MARKS.

1. You have dated a girl for two years and eventually she drops you for another guy. Calculate the percentage of time wasted (20 marks).

2. You buy airtime for your girlfriend and she calls another guy. Using trigonometric identities, derive the general formula for this kind of love (20 marks).

3. You are dating four girls simultaneously, and each of these girls is demanding a Samsung Galaxy S5 and an Ipad 3 from you.

(a) Plot a graph of girls against the prices of these phones(15 marks).

(b) Using data from your graph, state the estimates of your future poverty (5 marks).

4. You are dating other people's sisters, but you don't want to see any guy with any of your sisters. Calculate the percentage error in your thinking capacity, given that you have 4 sisters and 3 girlfriends. Take Pi = 3.14 (20 marks).

GOOD LUCK.

3 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 15, 2017
tolugar:
Thats the area am expecting the new commissioner to look into

u mean the commissioner of happiness and purpose fulfilment?

My state is nw a fuvkery!

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 15, 2017
where are the feminist? This is one of the things hindering feminism in Africa.... Una dey fight for the abolition of bride price??

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by ensamy(m): 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2017
If divorced can the parents return the N800k ?

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by AuroraB(f): 9:43pm On Dec 15, 2017
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin

AuroraB come see your people ooo
Her parents are GREEDY! Does she want to claim she doesn't know
Lately, aawon feminists launched a campaign, urging women to repay their brideprices and win a prize from her. Is this not a smear campaign? And if not, she has her greedy parents to contend with not pollute young minds with her feminism sitting tight in her husband's house.
Raising ladies who don't want to bear the husband's surname whereas they've got no suitor. She can only confuse girls who wish to, not me and my crew.
I have had an inlaw who chose to pay x10 of the amount he was asked to pay which was supposed to be negotiated. So, she should continue bleating, her recruits have been shut down days after she comes with this undecided
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Spatta: 9:45pm On Dec 15, 2017
Maybe why their popular Nollywood doughtier is still not taken, Who will take a woman for such amount who might eventually become a husband butcher for lack of anger management ?

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Spanner4(m): 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2017
tossie101:

Well said my dear..the mumu lady is obviously mixing bride price to marriage list.
BTW if u cant pay my bride price kindly shift biko.

What is this one talking....if I catch u there

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Referendum50(f): 9:48pm On Dec 15, 2017
PotatoSalad:
Hahahahahahahahaha.
If I pay 800k, i should be getting head morning, afternoon, night...
Back to my game angry
Who's completed NFS Payback here?
lol
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by BruncleZuma: 9:50pm On Dec 15, 2017
AuroraB:
Her parents are GREEDY! Does she want to claim she doesn't know
Lately, aawon feminists launched a campaign, urging women to repay their brideprices and win a prize from her. Is this not a smear campaign? And if not, she has her greedy parents to contend with not pollute young minds with her feminism sitting tight in her husband's house.
Raising ladies who don't want to bear the husband's surname whereas they've got no suitor. She can only confuse girls who wish to, not me and my crew.
I have had an inlaw who chose to pay x10 of the amount he was asked to pay which was supposed to be negotiated. So, she should continue bleating, her recruits have been shut down days after she comes with this undecided

No be only she nah, Aunty Chimamanda nkor, grin grin grin grin she get handsome, established and open-minded husband dey preach feminism give slay Mama's and slay grannys wen no get simple decency and decorum.

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by PDPGuy: 9:51pm On Dec 15, 2017
Lmao

When you adjust for inflation, the N800k bride price would be N2 million today. grin

Her husband must have really loved her to have spent such an amount of money as BP. If na me, I’ll ask them to either reduce it to N45k or they can go Bleep themselves.

1 Like

Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 15, 2017
I wouldn't complain if am worth it.
Re: Mbaise Woman's Husband Was Given N800k Marriage List 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 15, 2017
mazimee:
This bride price issue varies with people involved .

Our people would say "aka onye wetere ka eji eso ya". I won't say more than that.
True talk, if you appear rich, they will overcharge you. She won't tell me poor men are not getting married, there is a way around everything.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Barren Woman Displaced By 14-year Old House Maid From Her Home / I Caught My Husband Chatting With A Lady On Facebook & WhatsApp & Confronted Him / My Husband Has Idolised Me And Now I'm Fed Up. Need Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.