Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,294 members, 7,923,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 01:12 AM

Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] (2781 Views)

Law Graduate Shares Sultry Photo To Celebrate Her Call To Bar / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

unlike you, my post history can demonstrate clearly that i work in coorporate nigeria. a quick glance through your topics says you're a small pikin. even more so, is that the best you can come up with ? a gif?

you see why i say you are not much better than those racist whites who attack blacks at sit ins?

Gone through your profile, so much hate and even tag people "christian intolerants"... and you have the effrontery to say you have worked for 15 years in a corporate organisation of which am guessing muric or some muslim outfit... your profile clearly depicts you as a muslim fanatic and the same person the world is weary off..
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

unlike you, my post history can demonstrate clearly that i work in coorporate nigeria. a quick glance through your topics says you're a small pikin. even more so, is that the best you can come up with ? a gif?

you see why i say you are not much better than those racist whites who attack blacks at sit ins?

Empty vessels make the loudest noise.. that is a secular practise and should be treated as such.. join muric or sharia court.. from your post history, it obviously shows you are a fanatic campaigning for votes.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 17, 2017
SouthEastFacts:

We have no issue with that whatsoever, but be guided that should that happen, we are going to compel CAN to:
1. Allow all white garment churches under them to start attending the ceremony without shoes. Moving without shoes is part of their religious belief.
2. To allow all Catholics to attend the ceremony with their rosaries.
3. To allow all Catholic's Sister to attend with their veils.
4. To allow all other Christian denominations to attend with their choir robes.

Since over 80% of those called to bar are Christians, then we shall see how many lawyers that will be called to bar annually.

You muslims should be guided and learn from Christians and stop making issues out of nothing.

Since over 80% of those called to bar are Christians, then we shall see how many lawyers that will be called to bar annually.
the sort of slow thinking joker that is characteristic of posters in politics these days. care to substantiate your ridiculous claim?

4. To allow all other Christian denominations to attend with their choir robes.
this is why i shake my head for you pikins. you said clearly - choir robes. or are you so daft that you think the hijab is only worn in the mosque?
are the garments worn at white garment churches worn any where else?

most importantly, if you, deeper life, catholic nuns, or anyone else feel that you are being marginalised , you are free to follow the same steps the lady did. no one is holding you from wearing your white garment to the court. feel free to do so and start your own petition.

anyway, your handle says it all. another miseducated youth.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Ayoemrys(m): 7:24am On Dec 17, 2017
bigtt76:
Nonsense really.... Soon they will start questioning the source of fur used for the wig whether the animal was gotten from is halal or not angry

I wonder why we the Youths are pursuing irrelevant causes instead of causes that affects our entire lives. Look at 70 something year Olds fighting to be presidents while we the Youths are relegated to the background.... This one is fighting for hijab.... Hijab does not make you any more Muslim than a regular Muslim. It's just a sect thing.

I doubt if that rule would be changed cause it defeats the secularism of the profession.
True Talk,80% Of Nigeria Youth Are Useless,they Dnt Even Have Plan For Their Lives, Shame
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Beesluv: 7:25am On Dec 17, 2017
I see nothing bad with the dressing. The hijab was neatly tucked in. So what's their problem
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Ultimus: 7:41am On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

i am very proud of this lady. this is how Rosa parks also refused to move to the back of the bus.that was also 'convention' and 'the way it is done' i can also remember the reactions of entitled whites then. not so much different from our christian brothers who are coming up with absurdities like a presidents daughter refused to challenge the status quo

kudos to this lady for bringing this out into the open. you do not have to be from the elite to stand up for your convictions

there will now be a proper debate devoid of ridiculous 'render unto ceasar arguments'

it is the same way that female lawyers in nigeria are forced to wear skirts over trousers. that too is 'convention' and 'the way it is done'.

women in corporate nigeria, business, medicine, engineering, wear hijab in professional and working environments and there is no issue. legal practitioners are not any different.

All air, no sense made. A profession has a right, just as your religion does, to dictate how it's members present themselves. She's not challenging any status quo, she's being rebellious and should be dealt with for dragging Law in Nigeria into this furore.

If a stripper has no business covering up, if the safest gear a surgeon can wear is scrubs and surgical hats, then a Muslim should have no business with a profession that demands a different uniform from her religiously proscribed one.

She should try Shari'a law. Enough with the blackmail.

4 Likes

Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Flyingngel(m): 7:57am On Dec 17, 2017
Stalwert post:

They don't want Muslim women educated is that not in itself Bokoharam?

Who doesn't want Muslim women to be educated? The problem with us in this country is religion then tribal colouration. If she wanted to advance her education in USA and she is asked to remove the covering in the embassy so that her face can be taken accordingly, I knw she will gladly do it without sweating but since it is in a country where she knows that many Muslims are waiting for something like that; she decided to act. WHEN YOU GO TO ROME BEHAVE LIKE A ROMAN.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by SouthEastFacts: 8:04am On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

the sort of slow thinking joker that is characteristic of posters in politics these days. care to substantiate your ridiculous claim?

this is why i shake my head for you pikins. you said clearly - choir robes. or are you so daft that you think the hijab is only worn in the mosque?
are the garments worn at white garment churches worn any where else?

most importantly, if you, deeper life, catholic nuns, or anyone else feel that you are being marginalised , you are free to follow the same steps the lady did. no one is holding you from wearing your white garment to the court. feel free to do so and start your own petition.

anyway, your handle says it all. another miseducated youth.
80% is understated. I just wanted to be liberal. The first female Christian lawyer to be called to bar was Miss Ukeje in 1971, while Hauwa was called to bar in 1999. Female Muslims entered the legal profession recently. Take it or leave it, 80% of practicing female lawyers in Nigeria are Christians.

Nobody is marginalising us, nobody can. Even though most Muslims are breeding without sense, Christianity in Nigeria is still the largest and fastest growing religion in Iran.

Our religion teaches us to respect constituted authorities, but if Muslims think they can blackmail CLE into changing the convention, then we are going to show them why we are the largest religion. Whether Choir robes are worn only in the church or not, we will start wearing them to CLE ceremonies.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Stalwert: 8:08am On Dec 17, 2017
[s]
Flyingngel:
Stalwert post:

They don't want Muslim women educated is that not in itself Bokoharam?

Who doesn't want Muslim women to be educated? The problem with us in this country is religion then tribal colouration. If she wanted to advance her education in USA and she is asked to remove the covering in the embassy so that her face can be taken accordingly, I knw she will gladly do it without sweating but since it is in a country where she knows that many Muslims are waiting for something like that; she decided to act. WHEN YOU GO TO ROME BEHAVE LIKE A ROMAN.
[/s]

All this tales by sunlight because you do not want Muslim ladies to be educated? You will be educated soon that Nigeria is not Rome.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by gratiaeo(m): 8:13am On Dec 17, 2017
Until when cele, traditionalist wear their costume to chamber Nigeria will never learn. You can not satisfy the muslin they must always find any means to agitate.
Have you ever asked yourself why there is crisis in almost all the Muslim country.
You can not be sane and still be a muslin
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by gratiaeo(m): 8:22am On Dec 17, 2017
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 17, 2017
SouthEastFacts:

80% is understated. I just wanted to be liberal. The first female Christian lawyer to be called to bar was Miss Ukeje in 1971, while Hauwa was called to bar in 1999. Female Muslims entered the legal profession recently. Take it or leave it, 80% of practicing female lawyers in Nigeria are Christians.

Nobody is marginalising us, nobody can. Even though most Muslims are breeding without sense, Christianity in Nigeria is still the largest and fastest growing religion in Iran.

Our religion teaches us to respect constituted authorities, but if Muslims think they can blackmail CLE into changing the convention, then we are going to show them why we are the largest religion. Whether Choir robes are worn only in the church or not, we will start wearing them to CLE ceremonies.

. The first female Christian lawyer to be called to bar was Miss Ukeje in 1971, while Hauwa was called to bar in 1999. Female Muslims entered the legal profession recently. Take it or leave it, 80% of practicing female lawyers in Nigeria are Christians.

southeast alternative facts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_women_lawyers_by_nationality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloma_Mariam_Mukhtar

Aloma Mariam Mukhtar (born 20 November 1944) is a Nigerian jurist and former Chief Justice of Nigeria from July 2012 to November 2014.[1][2] She was called to the English Bar in November, 1966 and to the Nigerian Bar in 1967.[3][4]

President Goodluck Jonathan swore in Mukhtar on 16 July 2012 as the 13th indigenous Chief Justice of Nigeria, and conferred on her the Nigerian National Honour of the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger

people like you are the lowest of the low , pathetic lower animals who cannot even be bothered with lying coherently.

you actually posted that the first female lawyer called to the bar in nigeria was in 1971, and the that the first muslim female lawyer was in 1999?
what sort of clown are you??

Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Flyingngel(m): 8:49am On Dec 17, 2017
Stalwert post:

All this tales by sunlight because you do not want Muslim ladies to be educated? You will be educated soon that Nigeria is not Rome.

Guy u don't seems to grab what am saying; anyway no be me create almajari for North. I think there is a thread of Buhari's daughter was also call to bar sometimes ago and she abide by the code of dressing knowing fulling well the implications. With that been said i hope no body want her to go to school abi?
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 17, 2017
Ultimus:

All air, no sense made. A profession has a right, just as your religion does, to dictate how it's members present themselves. She's not challenging any status quo, she's being rebellious and should be dealt with for dragging Law in Nigeria into this furore.

If a stripper has no business covering up, if the safest gear a surgeon can wear is scrubs and surgical hats, then a Muslim should have no business with a profession that demands a different uniform from her religiously proscribed one.

She should try Shari'a law. Enough with the blackmail.

that is why i will continue to reference rosa parks

none of you have been able to come up with anything concrete on how the law profession dictates what women or men should wear.

back of the bus enablers tongue

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 17, 2017
http://thenigerialawyer.com/the-constitutionality-of-lawyers-dress-code-in-nigeria/

in Nigeria, the Rule of Professional Conduct for the legal profession Rule 6(b) provides;

While the court is in session, a lawyer should not assume an undignified posture, and should not, without the judge’s permission, remove his wig and gown in the courtroom. He should always be attired in a proper and dignified manner, and abstain from apparel or ornament calculated to attract attention to himself.

From the clear wordings of the above Rules of Professional Conduct, it is clear that no particular dress code was specified by the Rules. The Rules appear to have been lifted in Toto from the Code of Conduct of England and Wales which never spelt out what a Barrister’s dress code should be; it only stated “Respectable dress”.

The Nigeria Council of Legal Education on its establishment has tried to spell out in clear terms, what the dress code of lawyers should be like. The Nigeria Law School Code of Conduct Rule 29(a) provides:

He should be well-dressed at all times. The regulation on dress for male students is dark suits, white shirts, black ties (not bow tie), black socks and black shoes with white breast pocket, handkerchiefs, and striped black trousers may be worn under dark jackets Rule 2(b) of the said Code of Conduct further stipulated the dressing code for females as: For female students, white blouse, dark jacket and black skirts, covering knees (dark suit) or dark ladies and black shoes are to be worn. There should be no embroidery and trimmings of any type, and only moderate jewellery.

A look at the rule of professional conduct for legal practitioner (The Rules) 2007 will show rule 36 stipulates that:
(1) Except with the permission of the Court, a lawyer appearing before a High Court, the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court shall do so in his robes.
(2) A lawyer shall not wear the Barrister’s or Senior Advocate’s robe —–
(a) on any occasion other than in Court except as may be directed or permitted by the bar Council; or
(b) When conducting his own case as party to a legal proceeding in Court; or
(c) When giving evidence in a legal proceeding in Court.

The Nigerian Law School Code of Conduct, further stated in Rule 2(b), that at all law dinners, students must be punctual, and be in regulation dress; it further stated that at call to bar ceremonies, qualified students must wear regulation dress and also the Wig, Winged collar and Bids or Collarette and Barristers’ Gown. Finally, the rule concluded by stating that the above mode of dressing is mandatory for both male and female, while at the law school and other extra curricula activities, and when called to the Bar, and attendance at magistrate and all superior courts.

From all indications, it is clear that the above cited Code of Conduct of the Nigerian Law School legally institutionalized the use of dress code in the legal profession in Nigeria.
There was an instance where a judge refused to hear out a female lawyer because she was putting on a bright coloured blouse under her gown. Does this denial of appearance not amount to a infringement of her client’s right to fair hearing?

It is noteworthy that the Nigerian Law School Code of Conduct did not stipulate any punishment for non conformity with the Code.

Firstly, it should be noted, right away, that in England wig and gown are still being retained because they distinguish a barrister from a solicitor; the former is entitled to appear in court fully robed while a solicitor does not enjoy such privilege. Secondly, the protagonists of the retention of wig and gown in England also argue that it suits the climatic condition of England and Wales. Thirdly, they argue that it confers dignity and solemnity on court proceedings. Fourthly, wigs according to them lend anonymity in highly charged criminal cases.

Finally, they claim that it obscures the differences of age and gender, and consequently serves as equalizer in a profession dominated by men.

In Nigeria, the first and second reasons do not apply because every legal practitioner, by virtue of being called to the Bar, is an advocate and solicitor of Supreme Court of Nigeria.

Therefore, here in Nigeria, the need for the wig and gown to distinguish the ‘barrister’ from ‘solicitor’ does not arise. Secondly, the climatic condition in Nigeria does not need to be further compounded with English dress code and its other paraphernalia. It is interesting to note that already in England, there have been several moves in the past to do away with the lawyer’s wig and gown.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Stalwert: 8:57am On Dec 17, 2017
[s]
Flyingngel:
Stalwert post:

Guy u don't seems to grab what am saying; anyway no be me create almajari for North. I think there is a thread of Buhari's daughter was also call to bar sometimes ago and she abide by the code of dressing knowing fulling well the implications. With that been said i hope no body want her to go to school abi?
[/s]

So Buhari is the founder ofIslam? Had his daughter refused to follow the silly convention NBA made for itself you would say all the evil bile you have towards Muslims. We know people like you, you aim to deprive the rights of Muslim women will only remain a fantasy
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Ultimus: 9:02am On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

that is why i will continue to reference rosa parks

none of you have been able to come up with anything concrete on how the law profession dictates what women or men should wear.

back of the bus enablers tongue

So you want to equate fighting against racism to being a petulant child? Is she being denied her rights to be a human being? Someone isn't qualified in grooming, you're making an analogy to racism. Mrcheew. Every tattooed, rip-jeaned, Gothic, leather-jacket wannabe will make their case to dress however they wish if a loophole is allowed in the use of uniforms, how can you miss that?

At the bolded, NBA is a legal entity, it has its own code and creed on the presentation of it's members as bound by law. Please stop sounding ignorant.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 17, 2017
Ultimus:

So you want to equate fighting against racism to being a petulant child? Is she being denied her rights to be a human being? Someone isn't qualified in grooming, you're making an analogy to racism. Mrcheew. Every tattooed, rip-jeaned, Gothic, leather-jacket wannabe will make their case to dress however they wish if a loophole is allowed in the use of uniforms, how can you miss that?

At the bolded, NBA is a legal entity, it has its own code and creed on the presentation of it's members as bound by law. Please stop sounding ignorant.

There is nothing in the NBA dress code that speaks out against wearing hijab.

Covering your hair and neck in no way impacts on your professional appearance.

All that has been happening is professional intimidation and bullying without any basis.

I have already posted a link that speaks to the NBA dress code.

Did you somehow miss that?

Stop sounding like a black Jim crow troll.

You are the typical intolerant Christian. How does wearing hijab translate to poor grooming? Two years ago, before this beard gang fad, I'm sure you would have said the same about full beards.

Your comment on grooming and equating Goth dressing with modesty shows exactly what you are, a typical intolerant Christian bigot
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Ultimus: 9:49am On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

There is nothing in the NBA dress code that speaks out against wearing hijab.

Covering your hair and neck in no way impacts on your professional appearance.

All that has been happening is professional intimidation and bullying without any basis.

I have already posted a link that speaks to the NBA dress code.

Did you somehow miss that?

Stop sounding like a black Jim crow troll.

You are the typical intolerant Christian. How does wearing hijab translate to poor grooming? Two years ago, before this beard gang fad, I'm sure you would have said the same about full beards.

Your comment on grooming and equating Goth dressing with modesty shows exactly what you are, a typical intolerant Christian bigot

I don't even know where to start with your rant. NBA might not explicitly prohibit use of hijab but it doesn't imply it is admissible as part of the uniform.

I also did not equate Goth with modesty. I was only drawing a parallel on how people will want to impinge on establishments. because of what they wish to do and are comfortable with.

I'm not a Christian. Your last tirade pretty much sums up why you're wringing the argument in the context you have chosen to see it. This is not even a religious argument. I'm just trying to make you see in the same vein a Jewish kippah is not a Muslim wear is the same way a hijab is not a law uniform.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 17, 2017
Ultimus:

I don't even know where to start with your rant. NBA might not explicitly prohibit use of hijab but it doesn't imply it is admissible as part of the uniform.

I also did not equate Goth with modesty. I was only drawing a parallel on how people will want to impinge on establishments. because of what they wish to do and are comfortable with.
what establishment is being impinged on? nigeria is a multicultural and multi religious country. all nigerians have freedom of religious expression. as others have said, if it is your private club , you are free to make any impositions you feel like. this is however the NBA, an organisation which fortunately in this case has muslims in sufficient number, both as practitioners, SANs, and well heeled customers to bring this to a logical conclusion.

I'm not a Christian. Your last tirade pretty much sums up why you're wringing the argument in the context you have chosen to see it. This is not even a religious argument. I'm just trying to make you see in the same vein a Jewish kippah is not a Muslim wear is the same way a hijab is not a law uniform.

your typical christian looks down on and is irritated by women in hijab. whatever your religious state today, you were likely raised a christian and your exodus to atheism would not have expunged the ingrained loathing and disgust. i can say this because i am a muslim, though i do not 'look' like one. so at different stages of my life christians have felt comfortable grumbling to me about ladies in hijab. it is thus not surprising that some that get into positions of power try to stop women from wearing hijab.

as i also stated, i work in corporate nigeria. the CEO of my company [an oil and gas multinational] is a woman, and she covers her hair and always has. no big deal to the oyibo partners. i have relatives who are senior managers in companies like stanbic, who cover their hair. no big deal there either. and this is the highest corporate level.

no matter how you try to slice or dice it, this is a MULTIRELIGIOUS, MULTICULTURAL COUNTRY.

wearing a hijab will not impact on your professionalism in any way. it can even make you look like a severe, no nonsense woman.

no corporate dress code i have come across speaks out against wearing hijab. it does not need to be stated as it is not an issue. if it were a burqa or niqab, i might understand the issues being raised. but a scarf? thats just intolerance
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by SouthEastFacts: 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

southeast alternative facts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_women_lawyers_by_nationality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloma_Mariam_Mukhtar

people like you are the lowest of the low , pathetic lower animals who cannot even be bothered with lying coherently.

you actually posted that the first female lawyer called to the bar in nigeria was in 1971, and the that the first muslim female lawyer was in 1999?
what sort of clown are you??

That was a mistake, I didn't scroll up to see the other names. I sincerely apologise for that.

Even with the mistake, it didn't negate the central theme of the argument. Female Christian lawyers enter the legal profession before their Muslim counterparts. Stella Thomas was called to bar in 1935, while Mariam was called to bar in 1967.
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by dyydxx: 10:16pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

what establishment is being impinged on? nigeria is a multicultural and multi religious country. all nigerians have freedom of religious expression. as others have said, if it is your private club , you are free to make any impositions you feel like. this is however the NBA, an organisation which fortunately in this case has muslims in sufficient number, both as practitioners, SANs, and well heeled customers to bring this to a logical conclusion.

your typical christian looks down on and is irritated by women in hijab. whatever your religious state today, you were likely raised a christian and your exodus to atheism would not have expunged the ingrained loathing and disgust. i can say this because i am a muslim, though i do not 'look' like one. so at different stages of my life christians have felt comfortable grumbling to me about ladies in hijab. it is thus not surprising that some that get into positions of power try to stop women from wearing hijab.

as i also stated, i work in corporate nigeria. the CEO of my company [an oil and gas multinational] is a woman, and she covers her hair and always has. no big deal to the oyibo partners. i have relatives who are senior managers in companies like stanbic, who cover their hair. no big deal there either. and this is the highest corporate level.

no matter how you try to slice or dice it, this is a MULTIRELIGIOUS, MULTICULTURAL COUNTRY.

wearing a hijab will not impact on your professionalism in any way. it can even make you look like a severe, no nonsense woman.

no corporate dress code i have come across speaks out against wearing hijab. it does not need to be stated as it is not an issue. if it were a burqa or niqab, i might understand the issues being raised. but a scarf? thats just intolerance

Nigeria is actually a secular country because the constitution expressly prohibits a state religion, in other words, there ought to be a separation of religion from the state/Governance. So, Nigeria is a secular country that has multi-religious and multi-cultural ethnicities.

Now the same constitution that guarantees freedom of religion, also guarantees the free rights of those who choose not to express any religious beliefs. In other words, the same constitution that guarantees your right to express your religion as a muslim is the same that guarantees equal rights as a christian and all others. I hope you can understand this simple break down

Now to the issue at hand, It is a matter for the NBA in this case or the college of benchers to determine how it's members as a body should be dressed when practicing this particular profession or during the call to bar. If they choose to be religiously neutral and by that I mean ban all religious clothing and insignia across board and affecting all religious inclinations, then they are well within their constitutional right as a body to do this. This doesn't constitute any kind of discrimination or intolerance. Your right to wear hijab cannot supercede an organisation's right to determine how the organisation should be known by for their functions.

For all practical purposes, unless the NBA decides to accept ladies using hijab or any other religious wears they are within their rights to deny the said girl. The said girl is just a misguided islamic fanatic that feels she can score some cheap points.

See as a reference the ECJ ruling on a similar matter. This is just a pattern to see how more sophisticated climes have dealt with this kind of issue.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39264845
Re: Hijab Controversy: Affected Law Graduate, Amasa Firdaus, Speaks [premium Times] by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
dyydxx:

Nigeria is actually a secular country because the constitution expressly prohibits a state religion, in other words, there ought to be a separation of religion from the state/Governance. So, Nigeria is a secular country that has multi-religious and multi-cultural ethnicities.

Now the same constitution that guarantees freedom of religion, also guarantees the free rights of those who choose not to express any religious beliefs. In other words, the same constitution that guarantees your right to express your religion as a muslim is the same that guarantees equal rights as a christian and all others. I hope you can understand this simple break down

Now to the issue at hand, It is a matter for the NBA in this case or the college of benchers to determine how it's members as a body should be dressed when practicing this particular profession or during the call to bar. If they choose to be religiously neutral and by that I mean ban all religious clothing and insignia across board and affecting all religious inclinations, then they are well within their constitutional right as a body to do this. This doesn't constitute any kind of discrimination or intolerance. Your right to wear hijab cannot supercede an organisation's right to determine how the organisation should be known by for their functions.

For all practical purposes, unless the NBA decides to accept ladies using hijab or any other religious wears they are within their rights to deny the said girl. The said girl is just a misguided islamic fanatic that feels she can score some cheap points.

See as a reference the ECJ ruling on a similar matter. This is just a pattern to see how more sophisticated climes have dealt with this kind of issue.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39264845

Suck on it

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Niit Scholarship, "a Mirage: / Please Any Idea Of Good Acca Lecture Centres In Abuja Or Ibadan / Http://fans2earn.com/?ref=1417

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.