Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:50 AM

Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... (623 Views)

Tribunal Verdict: Bayelsans Hit The Street In Jubilation [Photos] / Nigerians Blast President Buhari For Saying He Came Into Office In 2005 In Ekiti / 56 Years After, Gov. Ugwuanyi Inaugurates New Fire Service Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by BayelsaLegacy: 6:57pm On Dec 18, 2017
Bayelsa state was christened “The Glory of All Land” in the year 1996 when it was carved out of the Old Rivers state in South-South Nigeria, as the name implies the word ‘Bayelsa’ is an acronym of three Local Government areas namely, Brass, Yenagoa and Sagbama.

Ever since the existence of the state, the expectations of the average Bayelsa man or woman did not reach the level demanded of governance until the‘Countryman’, Honorable Henry Seriake Dickson appeared in the political calendar of the state when he was sent to the House of Representatives by the people to serve in the Green chamber.

Henry Seriake Dickson’s performance in the House of Representatives could not but ‘Wow’ the people prompting the call that that he return home and replicate that quality for a state which at that time was and still has the largest crude oil and natural gas deposits in Nigeria.

The Coming of Dickson to superintend over a state where the people remained subsistent farmers and fishermen posed an uphill task but the countryman was never deterred.

He however swung into action with what today is popularly referred to as a ‘Legacy Projects’ covering areas like, Education, Health, Road Construction, Hospitality Industry rejuvenation, and Industrialization of Bayelsa state.

ALSO READ Editorial: 2019: Can PDP Return To Aso Rock Again?
Upon his swearing in ceremony on February 14, 2012 Governor Dickson swung into action to first set an atmosphere for people to come and do their legitimate businesses by reducing the rising rate of crime and criminality in the state, he brought to a quick end politically motivated violence and promptly improve upon boosting infrastructure within the state.

Every Bayelsan before the coming of the ‘Countryman’ would attest to the fact that the situation was so bad that the people of the state and the entire Ijaw nation almost lost confidence in the state’s public sector.

Education was his first port of call. Having witnessed at close quarters how difficult it was for Bayelsans to access education, he introduced free and compulsory education at the primary and secondary school levels.

The governor spent about N40billion on education to build over 30 first ever model boarding secondary schools in the 24 state constituencies, as well as 400 primary schools with headmaster/staff quarters in many parts of the state. In addition, government gave primary school pupils and secondary school students free textbooks, uniforms, sandals, bags, and writing materials.

ALSO READ Editorial: Why FG, Boko Haram prisoner swap arrangement may fail
Dickson’s government also picked the bills for students registering for WAEC, NECO, and JAMB examinations. Part of the N40billion was spent on scholarships to enable Bayelsans and other Ijaw-speaking indigenes study for graduate and post-graduate degrees in some of the best of Universities in Nigeria and the world.

Governor Dickson also tackled teacher education, which had been neglected for many years due to inconsistent government policies.

The absence of training schools for teachers, he learnt, was responsible for the fall in the standard of education in the country, to change the situation, he established a Teachers’ Training Institute and equipped it with modern teaching facilities for the training and re-training of teachers.

The deliberate efforts to reposition education in the State have been so phenomenal that by 2014, Bayelsa State became the fourth best- performing state with a pass rate of 52.83 per cent as 34, 242 students scored five credits and above, including Mathematics and English in the West African Examinations Council results.

Other projects that he embarked on, includes some complete and ongoing projects;

http://wdn.com.ng/bayelsans-continue-say-yes-five-years-hon-henry-seriake-dickson-came-office/

Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by AbdulBinLaden: 7:01pm On Dec 18, 2017
Governor Seriake Dickson is indeed a blessing to Bayelsa state
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by temitemi1(m): 7:02pm On Dec 18, 2017
This write up says it all. Bayelsans are blessed to have this man as their Governor.
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by OGreat20(m): 7:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
Im beginning to like this man sha...
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by onwugbenu(m): 8:00pm On Dec 18, 2017
Working on these project will not be too easy sir, but the Lord is your strength. i know some are completed and some are still on-going and you intend to do more for the people of Bayelsa state. More Grace
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by usba: 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2017
Didn't they say yes to goodluck a more compound failure than Dickson? grin grin grin
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by slimfit1(m): 8:27pm On Dec 18, 2017
Rubbish don block this people head oh.
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by bolanto24(m): 9:20pm On Dec 18, 2017
Paid opp and his fellow praise singers..

God and posterity will judge y'all.

To say the government of Dickson is a monumental failure is an understatement especially his second term.
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by RZArecta(m): 10:01pm On Dec 18, 2017
it's only demons, cretins and foóls who will be deceived by the worst governor in Nigeria and his paid media hacks who JUST got this job of media hacking. The other day on a thread by this same sell out of an op, all those who attacked me aren't even from Bayelsa or based in the state. It's not by media propaganda, Seriake Dickson is a monumental failure in Bayelsa state as a governor and arguably the worst governor Bayelsa has ever produced. If you think I'm lying, I challenge anyone here to go to Yenagoa and run a sample survey amongst indigenes/residents of the state. Woe betide any hack who comes to attack me, it's my state and I spend most of my time there hence I'm talking out of first hand experience. Don't be deceived, I might be a PDP supporter but I won't eat shít just because it was served on a platter. Don't get me started cool

3 Likes

Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by RZArecta(m): 10:02pm On Dec 18, 2017
bolanto24:

To say the government of Dickson is a monumental failure is an understatement especially his second term.

Even the first tenure was a disaster, what are you talking about ?
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by RZArecta(m): 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
Ps, watch how the op will keep recycling old pictures across all his threads because there's really nothing to show on ground as an achievement of the idíot governor. Imagine a situation where a buffoon like Okorocha will beat you hands down infrastructure wise ? How is that even possible if not for Dickson ? Thunder fire op and his supporters

1 Like

Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:34pm On Dec 18, 2017
RZArecta:
it's only demons, cretins and foóls who will be deceived by the worst governor in Nigeria and his paid media hacks who JUST got this job of media hacking. The other day on a thread by this same sell out of an op, all those who attacked me aren't even from Bayelsa or based in the state. It's not by media propaganda, Seriake Dickson is a monumental failure in Bayelsa state as a governor and arguably the worst governor Bayelsa has ever produced. If you think I'm lying, I challenge anyone here to go to Yenagoa and run a sample survey amongst indigenes/residents of the state. Woe betide any hack who comes to attack me, it's my state and I spend most of my time there hence I'm talking out of first hand experience. Don't be deceived, I might be a PDP supporter but I won't eat shít just because it was served on a platter. Don't get me started cool
Pained Sylva fan spotted...

Get used to it that Bayelsa has rejected your man and have embraced SHD.

Tell me what Sylva did for the state
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:35pm On Dec 18, 2017
bolanto24:

Counter with fact not curse
Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by RZArecta(m): 1:13am On Dec 19, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Pained Sylva fan spotted...

Get used to it that Bayelsa has rejected your man and have embraced SHD.

Tell me what Sylva did for the state
Tonye, I expected something like this from lesser people not someone like you who is known for research. Anyways, you're neither from Bayelsa state or even resident there. Like I said, leave social media, take a sample survey of people's opinions about my governor in Yenagoa alone or across the eight local govts then come back here with a clean conscience and tell the house your result. I don't joke with my state or it's affairs, please let's leave it at this

1 Like

Re: Why Bayelsans Continue To Say ‘yes’ Five Years After Gov. Dickson Came Into... by Pavore9: 1:50am On Dec 19, 2017
If he has "achieved" all that has been packaged by his media team, why are some people screaming underdevelopment and agitating?

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Ambode Inspects Projects In Epe / Gani Adams Is The Greatest Yoruba Man Of His Generation – Gbenga Daniel / Alagbado Resident Lands In Trouble For This Hilarious Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.