Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,530 members, 7,892,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 07:19 AM

Babangida At Daniel's Birthday, Still Eyes To Call Service - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida At Daniel's Birthday, Still Eyes To Call Service (665 Views)

See Ibrahim Babangida At A Younger Age(photo) / Happy Birthday To Ibrahim Babangida At 72 / Obasanjo,babangida At Okuku For Oyinola's Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Babangida At Daniel's Birthday, Still Eyes To Call Service by mamagee3(f): 7:20pm On Apr 02, 2010
SEVENTEEN years after annulling an election widely believed to have been won by the late business mogul and philanthropist, Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, former Military President, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, visited Abiola's home-town, Abeokuta, Ogun State, yesterday.

advertisement

He was there as chairman of a ceremony organised to mark the 54th birthday of the current governor of the state, Otunba Gbenga Daniel.

And on his way out of Lagos after the ceremony, Babangida said he would be favourably disposed to the presidency of Nigeria again if he was asked by Nigerians.

Babangida who is known in political circles as "Maradona" was given a rousing welcome. The 1993 presidential election, which Babangida annulled, is adjudged to be Nigeria's fairest and freest election.

Babangida, in a remark, called for practice of true federalism as a way out of Nigeria's problems.

He also said that Nigeria has some of the best brains in the world, hence ways should be found to make "use of them for development."

Speaking on the occasion, Babangida said practising true federalism would see Nigeria out of its problems: "We have lived for 50 years; we don't have to go back. Some of the best brains in the world are Nigerians, why can't we make use of them?"

He told the gathering that "coming to Abeokuta is like coming home", saying he lived in the city 44 years ago.

"And I have established a cordial relationship with most of those who are somebody in Ogun and I am glad and proud to be here," he said.

According to him, with leaders such as Governor Daniel, those of them who are in their 70 years of age are assured that they would leave Nigeria in safe hands after their demise.

Babangida charged Dr. Doyin Abiola, Aremo Taiwo, Chief Yemi Farounbi and Mr. Emeka Obasi to set up a newspaper that would focus on "issues instead of personalities", assuring them that he was ready to be patron of any position assigned to him.

The Guest Speaker at the lecture, Dr. Don Kroah, an American, identified electoral malpractices, godfatherism and lack of proper screening of political office holders as bane of Nigeria's democracy.

On the recent indecision by the Federal Executive Council on whether Vice President Goodluck Jonathan should be sworn-in as Acting President or not, the guest lecturer stated "the driver of an enduring democracy in any society must be a tested character, well-educated and versatile in understanding the needs of people."

According to him, "personality roles in government reveal that the influence of the personalities in institutions negatively affect the different institutions when decisive actions were meant to be taken."

This, he said "became evident in the last two months of 2009 and the first of 2010 when the President's absence from office necessitated some actions by personalities in the National Assembly to check the executive."

The American, who spoke on "the personalities, the constitutions and the future of democracy in Nigeria", explained that the failure of President Umaru Yar'Adua to indicate his absence from the country was a serious deficiency in the executive which eventually resulted in tension in the country.

His words: "Second, was the National Assembly's reaction, which was to clearly indicate the strength of character of personalities in the legislature."

Kroah was of the view that since Yar'Adua refused to inform the House of Representatives of his absence contrary to the institutional role of the Executive, "one would have expected impeachment moves against such unconstitutional act."

According to him, the Federal Executive Council's (FEC) refusal to take a firm stand on the issue "demonstrated again how character flaws of personalities could affect institutional performance as the council gave a clean bill of health without any medical practitioner's input.

"When the No. 1 personality (Yar'Adua) was to act, he refused to. When personalities in the National Assembly should have acted, they did not and when the FEC could have saved the situation, it refused to," he said.

On Nigeria's democracy, Kroah stated that it has been discovered that the experience of the country's democracy since 1999 had indicated special roles and responsibilities for certain institutions, "only for the Executive to be absolutely at variance with the functions specified."

He condemned electoral malpractices in which an individual gains access to power through rigging and manipulations of election results, explaining that where such occurs, the personality involved is not the choice of the people "and as such does not or may not have a sense of responsibility, loyalty and obligation to the people."

The lecturer was of the opinion that in situation like that, the personality would intentionally misinterpret the institutional roles and responsibilities.

"I am aware that at the federal level some half a dozen judgments secured by applicants against the Executive have not been observed and this is symptomatic of how personalities may affect democracy."

For genuine democracy, he suggested that the electoral system that places individuals into specific positions and certain institutions must be transparent, free and fair.

"There should be better political participation by Nigerians who must realise that there are different stages where their participation is required.

"Personalities that seek power must be adequately examined both in character and in health so that those who can easily be intimidated, coerced and manipulated are not allowed to participate talk less of winning an election.

"Personalities that are obviously linked with individuals that may divert their attention should be given no chance in participating directing in government.

"Credible Executive leader and credible legislature made up of qualitative personalities can sustain democracy. Until Nigeria has such personalities, the future of democracy in Nigeria will always be at stake."

He commended Daniel for not being a leader of vision and strong character alone but also possessing all the qualities of good leadership.

Fielding questions from journalists at the Presidential Wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos shortly before his departure to Minna, Niger State, Babangida said he would be favourably disposed to the presidency of the country if it is the yearning of Nigerians.

He urged politicians and Nigerians in general to be tolerant of one another, stressing that only tolerance would move the country forward.

The following dialogue ensued between reporters and Babangida:

Reporters: You have been widely tipped to be a civilian president in the next election, how do you feel about this?

Babangida: I am still doing some consultation and honestly, I will hint you on that when I have finished doing that. I will give you a feedback very soon.

What if your political associates say you are the solution to the country's social-political problem?

No, there is no such thing, absolutely nothing like that, but if Nigerians are convinced that I have a contribution to make, surely this is the only country I have and I will do it.

So, you have been favourably disposed to re-engineering of Nigeria?

But that is your own opinion which I very much appreciate

What if it is the general opinion?

I will be dictated by the general opinion.

Are you satisfied with the way politicians are running the affairs of this country, don't you think that there is alternative approach to governance?

What I want is for all of you, people like you, me, politicians to be very tolerant and if we are tolerant, we will be able to move the country forward.

On clamour for INEC Chairman, Prof. Maurice Iwu's removal?

At the level of Babangida who was a former dictator, former military president, I don't comment on individuals.

Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State who was one of the eminent personalities at the occasion said one of Nigeria's problems was personalization of power and pleaded with power holders not to play God to attract God's wrath.

An excited Daniel while expressing his appreciation for the honour done him, thanked the crowd and assured them that he would continue to work for the benefit of the state.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/apr/2/1.html
Re: Babangida At Daniel's Birthday, Still Eyes To Call Service by naijamini(m): 7:23pm On Apr 02, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Pls Eliminate This Man Just With One bullet / Mob Kills Three In Troubled Central Nigeria - Here We Go Again / APGA Proclaims Freedom For The People Of Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.