Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,470 members, 7,904,751 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 06:42 PM

What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? (1498 Views)

"DORA AKUNYULI'S" Death- Lesson For The Igbos. -koboko69 / Tunde Bakare Is Also A Northerner. Buhari Has Messed Up. / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by chosen04(f): 8:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
What of if Dora Akunyuli was not "one of us?". Am sure all of us would have put on our seeing glasses and seen the motive(S) behind her Memo. Its obvious we (southerners) are setting double standard for judging public servants.

Am beginning to see clearly now, especially since the issue of Dora that northerners may actually not be the problem of this country but the fact that we set double standard.

Our media houses are fond of reporting biased issues:-

1) When Oladipo Diya & co planned Coup, It was a phantom coup
2) When Dora goofed, She became our 'heroine and saviour' for speaking last minute, ill-motivated, self centered truth.

^^^^^^^^Should i go on and continue to list others?

I have learnt to speak the truth at all times not matter who, when where or whose ox is gored

Right is right even if every body is against and Wrong will continue to be wrong even if every body is in support of It.

The attacks are all expected. But i refuse to join the Majority to sin.

Must we continue in sin double standard, because grace abound?
GOD FORBID!!!!!

Am sure if DORA was in TURAI's position the issue of 'spouse abuse' will not arise.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by ikeyman00(m): 8:12pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^^ yes u are right unfortunately this isnt making any sense

however consideing that u are reading from the fence doesnt help matter neither

so what u blabbling about?? time to give way

last mintue truth or not; if it wasnt then what could have been have u ever ponder on that

think again
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by oderemo(m): 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2010
Am sure if DORA was in TURAI's position the issue of 'spouse abuse' will not arise.
`
If i get you right , are you saying we dont have northerners that speak the truth?
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by ikeyman00(m): 8:20pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^

yes things taking a twist

funny how these thing happen
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by beystwin: 8:33pm On Apr 02, 2010
We support Dora in the same way we do for Ribadu. so what is your point
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 9:01pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ chosen04

Reading what you wrote, I start to wonder whether you have cocoon in your brain or that you’re plain silly. Can you substantiate what you mean by ill-motivated (the motivation) and self centred (the selfishness) behind her action?
What do you mean that she goofed? So you would have preferred the status quo where Aondaakaa and Turai govern this country since Yar’dua is obviously sick and can’t even talk or write? This is where I came to the conclusion that you might be silly after all.

The truth is that she is a heroine whether you hate her or not. Personally, I adore her just like I adore Ken Nnamani and Masari for saving us from OBJ’s 3rd term bid, just like I adore Ribadu for his efforts to weed us of corrupt politicians.
Prof. Dora Akunyili saved our constitution, so she deserves praise.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Apr 02, 2010
You need to post the letter Dora read on Feb 4th @Chosen04. Maybe if people ACTUALLY READ That letter a time of two, on their own, they will realize what really happened at some point.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2010

http://www.ifeyinka.com/2010/02/dora-akunyilis-memo-to-o-federal.html

[size=13pt]The memo presented to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) yesterday by Information Minister Dora Akunyili asking Yar’Adua to present a letter of vacation to the Senate as required by section 145 of Nigeria’s 1999 constitution. The full text of the memo below:
STATE OF THE NATION

1. I want to start my humble submission by stating that I am a 100 per cent loyalist of President Yar’Adua. He appointed all of us because he trusts us and wants us to help him to run government effectively and efficiently. Mr. President has given all of us seated in this chamber the opportunity to serve our nation as members of this council.

I believe that in the choice of all of us, as individuals and group, Mr. President must have considered our ability to guide him aright to serve our people better, promote and protect the constitution in line with the oath of office taken before him in this chamber by each and every one of us. President Yar’Adua is very dear to me just as he is to all of you.

2. We are all aware of what has been happening in Nigeria, especially as it concerns the issue of making the Vice President an acting President. There have been debates for and against.

3. Some have argued that there is no vacuum and that it is okay for the Vice President to function as Vice President, not as Acting President pending the return and recovery of Mr. President. For the proponents of this theory, I want to remind them that Permanent Secretaries had been waiting to be sworn in for over two months now. Consequently, many ministries are without Permanent Secretaries including my ministry.

As it is today, the Vice President cannot take any document to National Assembly. In a very desperate situation like the recent Jos crisis, the Vice President deployed troops to Plateau, but many have openly said that he does not have the right because there cannot be two Commanders-in-Chief at a time.

4. Just recently, Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta, MEND, has opted out of the amnesty and resumed hostility. They argued that they have been kept in limbo since the President took ill and they appeared to have been abandoned since nobody could talk to them or keep the promise made to them. Our economy is once more being threatened.

5. The past Chief Justice of the Federation swore in his successor for the first time in the history of our nation. The power vacuum at that level has also compounded our ‘poor image’ at the international level because of our failure to rise to international expectations, commitments and engagements that require the presence of our President.

Many of those opportunities have existed in the past 70 days that I do not need to recount. I do not need to repeat the uncomplimentary statements made by United States, United Kingdom and EU concerning the current state of affairs in Nigeria .

6. There has been persistent agitation by the public for members of the Federal Executive Council to do something. Nigerians expect us to rise to this challenge on behalf of our President as the leader of this administration. Some eminent citizens have spoken. They include former Heads of State and others who have served our nation in various capacities.

The Senate has also taken a position of which we are all aware. The looming crisis in the system is over boiling. Our hard earned democracy is being threatened by the day.

7. What went wrong? We love our President but we should remember that he is not infallible. Before he left Nigeria he had a moral and constitutional obligation to officially inform the Senate and hand over the mantle of leadership to the Vice President pending his return and recovery. That did not happen. Yes, the mistake has been made by our Boss and our brother.

Mr. President is ill and did not choose to be sick. But while we continue to pray for his recovery, we should try to right the wrong.

8. Some have argued that he left the country in a hurry. This argument has been punctured by the fact that he signed the Appropriation Bill for National Assembly. If he could sign the Bill, why did he not sign a letter for Vice President to act on his behalf until he is well enough?

9. We have a local proverb that says that “A goat does not get strangulated by the rope used in tying it when an adult is present.” We are all in a better position to know that the polity is overheated to a frightening level. Posterity will judge us harshly if we do not positively intervene to resolve this logjam.

10. I wish to call on the Federal Executive Council to act now in the best interest of our dear President and our dear Nation.

We also need to save ourselves from shame because our stand is becoming very embarrassing. He has been away for about 70 days now, even if he returns tomorrow, is it not better for him to rest and recover before taking over from the Vice President?

11. We need to do what is morally right and constitutional for the President to officially hand over to the Vice President to function as Acting President. If he does not, we can evoke whichever aspect of the constitution that should make the Vice President an Acting President.

On the other hand we can take advantage of the 14 days ultimatum by the court which will expire on Friday. When the President resumes duty as soon as he recovers, by the grace of God, he takes over his position.

12. I am not saying that President Yar’Adua should resign or condemn him for being sick. He did not choose to be sick. We will continue to pray for him, but all I am saying is, let us encourage him do the right thing so that our hard earned democracy will not be truncated. Anybody who feels otherwise is unfair to our President (who has been preaching the rule of law), and utterly unfair to our country.

13. The name of our President and all his achievements are being rubbished by this unfortunate debacle. The President and his family are also being put under undue pressure which will not help his recovery.

14. If we fail to act now, history will not forgive us. I rest my case.[/size]
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2010
Yayale Ahmed has been an example of a Yar'adua appointee from the North who has stood for the truth all this while. Nobody is discussing him, He is Yar'adua's secretary and has sometimes said openly how he wrote a Yar'adua sick letter which never made it to National Assembly.

He was also on record to have said in the FEC after Dora did that Yar'adua should be declared INCAPACITATED. All Dora pleaded for was for at least a letter to be sent to NASS at least. Yayale said Yar'adua should be declared incapacitated.

I don't know how many threads on Nairaland accusing him of disloyalty.

I am also expecting to see Yayale Ahmed back in Government next week when a new innauguration will take place for he has been forthright!!!!!!
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 02, 2010
Kobo

I don't know how the bit you highlighted supports any aspect of your argument, please explain how. I am waiting. Thank you!!!!
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Apr 02, 2010
Dora NEVER said Yar adua should be declared incapacitated. If Yayale did that, I think he should have been declared Nigeria's hero.

Why, after 70 days, not even 60 day,  of being AWOL would anyone still call for the president to right a letter when he should have, according to the constitution presented that by the 14th day of his absence?

Why, after the courts demanded he be declared incapacited as seems the case, did she ask that the FEC instead require a letter still?

Why was the VP appointed Acting President when the constitution clearly states that this can ONLY be done at the request of the President. Did the President APPROVE this appointment?

If the FEC never recieved a letter from Yayale, then where did the FEC get the authority to do what it did ?

She made claims of there existing a CABAL out there trying to do whatever it is she claimed, YET in her own LETTER she essentially moves to VOTE/STAMP/MAKE SURE Yar adua got another full year as PRESIDENT, even if from his death bed.

The man has been AWOL for over 90 days now but guess what? He is still PRESIDENT of Nigeria. Talk about REWARDING NONSENSE.

@Mikeansy, what has my argument been? If you knew what it was, you would know why the highlighted is something you, as a Nigerian should have paid attention to from day one.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 02, 2010
The highlighted bit does not support any argument you have made before, so tell us how it does.

And by the way your arguments against Dora has not been consistent, you seem to be making things up by day and looking for anything and everything possible to criticise the woman
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
What are the arguments you know of that I have made before now?
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2010
SMH
Kobo, please read again the highlighted in your post and see if it makes any sense to you.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What are the arguments you know of that I have made before now?

Ok use the highlighted in your own evidence to demonastrate how you have been right all this while about Dora being evil.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On Apr 02, 2010
OMO IBO:

SMH
Kobo, please read again the highlighted in your post and see if it makes any sense to you.

In what way would it make sense to me? I have outlined some of the questions I have of her action there. The FEC's action was, if anythin, UNCONSTITUTIONAL. The only section which contained the words "ACTING PRESIDENT" specified that this could only happen by the PERMISSION of the sitting PRESIDENT. The Courts however suggested, in fact gave an ultimatum which was CONSTITUTIONAL, and would have rid us of a "DEADBEAT" President. So, How do you think the highlighted would make sense to me?
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ mikeansy,

Ok use the highlighted in your own evidence to demonastrate how you have been right all this while about Dora being evil.

I think it's the opposite she'd been arguing for.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 10:41pm On Apr 02, 2010
oops! I might be wrong. I think Kobojunkie is confused with her argument and her highlights. It didn't add up.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Apr 02, 2010
006, if someone calls on you to take a critical look at the people you support, is that in anyway same as saying YOU SHOULD CALL THEM EVIL? If your boss decides to take a critical look at you and your record, does that mean your boss believes or thinks you are EVIL? Do you think it makes sense for anyone to say because your Boss is not analysing everyone else AT THE SAME time means your Boss is after you, or your boss only hates you, or has something against you?
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 10:54pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^
Not at all.

She made claims of there existing a CABAL out there trying to do whatever it is she claimed, YET in her own LETTER she essentially moves to VOTE/STAMP/MAKE SURE Yar adua got another full year as PRESIDENT, even if from his death bed.

But do you believe there was no cabal manipulating the country?
I think Dora played the best of politics to move the country forward and at the same time protect the interest of Yar’dua.
Personally, I wouldn’t want him sacked because he has just a year left in his tenure, but I want Jonathan to have full powers to perform without any constitutional impediments.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by EzeUche(m): 11:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
If she was a northerner, she would not be talking as much for a woman! Typical Igbo woman! Hmph  angry
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 11:11pm On Apr 02, 2010
006:

^^^
Not at all.

But do you believe there was no cabal manipulating the country?

We have always believed some “OJUJU-CALABAR” is responsible for our ineptitude, blunders, and lack of care, both at the federal, state and local levels.  You go anywhere, even Aba, Calabar, Enugu, Akwa, and you will hear stories of some “CABAL” keeping the local government from fixing the roads, or even issuing driver’s licences without collecting bribes. There is always some MONSTER/CABAL responsible for our ineptitude.

006:

I think Dora played the best of politics to move the country forward and at the same time protect the interest of Yar’dua.

At least you admit she did it to protect Yar adua’s interest. But what were the CABAL doing then? Where they not supposedly protecting the interest of Yar adua as well? Why do we fault THIS “AlMIGHTY CABAL” then for trying to do exactly what she did? Let me guess, because she beat them to doing it the UNCONSTITUTIONAL way FIRST?

006:

Personally, I wouldn’t want him sacked because he has just a year left in his tenure, but I want Jonathan to have full powers to perform without any constitutional impediments.

You wouldn’t want a comatose PRESIDENT sacked because he has a year left in his tenure? What makes you think he cannot get a second-term next year? Will you then say you wouldn’t want him sacked because he has another term to go? (JOKE)

The Courts gave a 14-day ultimatum. If the FEC had instead gone with the court, the CONSTITUTION would have been respected, we would have ensured that Yar adua could NOT get a second term, even if he dies and is resurrected later on. Jonathan would have had full power OR the country would have had to deal with the issues it ought to have. And the Senate would have been more serious with Amendments. If you remember there was widespread talk of amending the constitution to DISALLOW any other president from repeating the same. How serious is that move now? It is almost as if the events of the last couple of months never happened -- we are back to busy as usual, is this really what we want?
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by becomrich6: 11:23pm On Apr 02, 2010
Why do you people take dora issue so serious. Dora is a nollywood star, Dora now correct actor. She be jamebond. She is only acting. Can you see. To God, Dora is ready to tell you anything.

things like "I would die Jonathan" or "Jonathan I am ready to be second wife"

Look, at this moment, she is never ready to second wife for Jonathan. When I read about Dora most time. I always laugh. It is one drama to another. She is the first minister in nigeria to make Drama a part of a lifes lifes. Her program should be real life on Television. Dora act everything. Check her out next week. She would have another story .

I pity her husband. The man go don give up. Drama too much. I alway laugh everytime I read her story.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 11:29pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ Kobojunkie

Yes, there was a cabal running the country.
As an analogy, a trader was stricken with stroke (you know he can’t move, write, or talk), then his apprentices start making decisions as if they were their boss’s mind and do any transaction as they deem fit without any sanction from their boss. What do you call them? What do you say their actions are? Legal or illegal?

To the questions: But what were the CABAL doing then? Where they not protecting the interest of Yar adua as well?
They were not protecting the interest of Yar’dua rather they were protecting their own interest. The person that protected the interest of Yar’dua was Dora by not agreeing he should be sacked, rather he should take his time, recover, rest and return to office. Nobody will steal his mandate from him.

The Courts gave a 14 day ultimatum. If the FEC had instead gone with the court, the CONSTITUTION would have been respected

Court’s ultimatum was for a medical panel to be set up. Turai never granted anybody assess to her husband, how do you think she would the medical panel? It would have been a merry go round till the military finds excuse to ruin everything.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Apr 02, 2010
006:

@ Kobojunkie

Yes, there was cabal running the country.
As an analogy, a trader was stricken by stroke (you know he can’t move, write, or talk), the his apprentices start making decisions as if they were their boss’s mind and do any transaction as they deem fit without any sanction from their boss. What do you call them? What do you say their actions are? Legal or illegal?

What persons made up this Cabal? Do you know the names of the members of the Executive council? You have to have some Names to work with here, and you have to be able to PROVE that the named have access to the power you claim they do. I mean anyone can come in here to claim someone like Orji was a member of the Cabal. I would say that person would need to be able to prove that Orji had access to that type of power in the first place.
To be honest with you, I don’t buy the OJUJU-CALABAR claim. I have heard it so many times over; it is no longer a joke. Dora is on the Executive council, I believe and Jonathan Goodluck chairs it. Since she has NEVER mentioned any particular name, then I take it is as just the usual Nigerian political move and nothing more.

006:

To the questions: But what were the CABAL doing then? Where they not protecting the interest of Yar adua as well?
They were not protecting the interest of Yar’dua rather they were protecting their own interest. The person that protected the interest of Yar’dua was Dora by not agreeing he should be sacked, rather he should take his time, recover, rest and return to office. Nobody will steal his mandate from him.

Ooohh!!! So, you are saying that the President leaving Nigeria for all this time (remember he has not even cared to show up to his own VP) is ok by you? So, her protecting this man’s mandate, even in his blatant disregard for the constitution and the people, do you believe this move was the best or the nation as well? If yes, then Ok.

006:

Court’s ultimatum was for a medical panel to be set up. Turai never granted anybody assess to her husband, how do you think she would the medical panel? It would have been a merry go round till the military finds excuse to ruin everything.
Well, let’s look at it this way. The Letter which was supposed to authorize the installation of VP as Acting President NEVER ARRIVED. In essence, what happened was UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Turai may not have allowed assess to her husband, not sure if this is even true, but that does not stop the FEC from going ahead with the next option on the list. No one had seen him for over 70 days meaning the president was AWOL and so NOT PERFORMING. That would have been more than enough grounds to impeach. So, you see, either he would have been removed on health grounds, or for non performance, both by the constitution. So, it would have been a slam dunk only that the FEC DID NOT want to do any of that and it is APPARENT by her own letter that she did not consider those options possibly because she wanted to make sure her loyalty was seen to be intact.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 12:04am On Apr 03, 2010
^^^
You must have lived in Aba   wink  Still curious to know anyway.

What persons made up this Cabal? Do you know the names of the members of the Executive council?  You have to have some Names to work with here, and you have to be able to PROVE that the named have access to the power you claim they do.

The head of the cabal was Turai and her wishes were being executed in Nigeria by Aondaakaa and the rest of his gang. Who signed appropriation bill? Maybe Turai. The truth have come out that Yar’dua just started to move his hands. What do you call these people that run this stuff without Yar’dua’s consent? I need an answer here. Also I gave you an analogy.

Ooohh!!! So, you are saying that the President leaving Nigeria for all this time (remember he has not even cared to show up to his own VP) is ok by you?  So, her protecting this man’s mandate, even in his blatant disregard for the constitution and the people, do you believe this move was the best or the nation as well? If yes, then Ok.

This stuff is not as easy as it seems. There are a lot of interests involved and what we got now is the best option in my opinion. Even in Israel, when Ariel Sharon was incapacitated, Ehud Olmert acted till election was conducted. In terms of blatant disregard for the constitution, I wouldn’t blame the President because I don’t know his state of health when he was rushed to Saudi Arabia, maybe he could not talk nor write.

Well, let’s look at it this way. The Letter which was supposed to authorize the installation of VP as Acting President NEVER ARRIVED. In essence, what happened was UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

It’s still subject to debate, but in Law, doctrine of necessity is sometimes used when something was not catered for in the constitution. In this case, there was not provision for when the President could not speak nor write, so they used the BBC interview as a substitute for the letter. Was it right? I don’t know because I’m not a lawyer. Many lawyers have argued both for and against it, so it’s debatable but not absolutely constitutional.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 12:29am On Apr 03, 2010

You can not have a debate with some one who means something else from what they type.

Her anger against Dora has nothing to do with her records. She is just angry somebody was brave enough to rock the the boat.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 12:55am On Apr 03, 2010
006:

^^^
You must have lived in Aba   wink  Still curious to know anyway.

The head of the cabal was Turai and her wishes were being executed in Nigeria by Aondaakaa and the rest of his gang. Who signed appropriation bill? Maybe Turai. The truth have come out that Yar’dua just started to move his hands. What do you call these people that run this stuff without Yar’dua’s consent? I need an answer here. Also I gave you an analogy.

Do you have proof of this claim of yours that Turai is the head of your version of the Cabal? Or are you relying on the same rumor mills that have manufactured other stories.
Which of her wishes that you are personally aware of did Aondaakaa execute? Do you know who signed the bill? How can  the BILL leave Nigeria and get signed without the consent of the Executive branch and the senate? Can you verify the validity of any of the stories you are telling me now?  Do you think it is possible for a Bill to be signed without congress or even the senate in America knowing of its signing and who signed it?

006:

This stuff is not as easy as it seems. There are a lot of interests involved and what we got now is the best option in my opinion. Even in Israel, when Ariel Sharon was incapacitated, Ehud Olmert acted till election was conducted. In term of blatant disregard for the constitution, I wouldn’t blame the President because I don’t know his state of health when he was rushed to Saudi Arabia, maybe he could not talk not write.

I never included the word EASY in what I had. I am sure the courts knew it would NOT be easy, even though it was the right thing to do when it set out to put forth an ultimatum such as the one it did.

What happened when Ariel Sharon was incapacitated CANNOT be used to explain, in anyway, what happened 2009/2010 in Nigeria. These are two completely different situations. Ariel Sharon found himself in a coma and the nation decided, as a whole, to keep him on as leader.

There was NO REPORT that yar adua left the country UNCONSCIOUS or in a RUSH. We do not NEED to CREATE such stories at this point as it is clear he was not unconscious on November 26th, the day he left Nigeria.

006:

It’s still subject to debate, but in Law, doctrine of necessity is sometimes used when something was not catered for in the constitution. In this case, there was not provision for when the President could not speak nor write, so they used the BBC interview as a substitute for the letter. Was it right? I don’t know because I’m not a lawyer. Many lawyers have argued both for and against it, so it’s debatable but not absolutely unconstitutional.

I don’t believe Doctrine of necessity has anything to do with this. In this particular case, the constitution was and is clear on what is allowed and what is not allowed. The president was able to speak and write before he left the country. Mind you, this is NOT his first time leaving the country on health visits, so if you are trying to argue that he COULD NOT, then I suggest you look into what really took place up until the time he left the country. 

[size=13pt]145. Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.[/size]

I don't know what lawyer would debate that the above is not clear in what it states.

The BBC interview? Who used it? Where did you get this information from? In what way can the BBC interview be used for what you are so willing to claim it was? Please provide some link or something to substantiate this claim.

Did you listen to the BBC broadcast? The interview DOES NOT have the voice stating the FEC could or should appoint the VP as Acting President. If this was even the case, Why did Dora’s letter come in weeks later demanding a letter from the president still?

That lawyers have argued both sides is NO REASON to turn a blind eye to what the constitution says on the issue. I think it is section 145, the only area of the constitution that says anything of the possibility of the appointment of an Acting President, and it states clearly that it is to be done with the permission of the President. The FEC itself confessed that the President had yet to communicate with any of them. So, again, where did the permission come from? Where did the power come from?   

[size=13pt]143. (1) The President or Vice-President may be removed from office in accordance with the provisions of this section.

(2) Whenever a notice of any allegation in writing signed by not less than one-third of the members of the National Assembly:-

(a) is presented to the President of the Senate;

(b) stating that the holder of the office of President or Vice-President is guilty of gross misconduct in the performance of the functions of his office, detailed particulars of which shall be specified,

the President of the Senate shall within seven days of the receipt of the notice cause a copy thereof to be served on the holder of the office and on each member of the National Assembly, and shall also cause any statement made in reply to the allegation by the holder of the office to be served on each member of the National Assembly.

(3) Within fourteen days of the presentation of the notice to the President of the Senate (whether or not any statement was made by the holder of the office in reply to the allegation contained in the notice) each House of the National Assembly shall resolve by motion without any debate whether or not the allegation shall be investigated.

(4) A motion of the National Assembly that the allegation be investigated shall not be declared as having been passed, unless it is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of each House of the National Assembly.

(5) Within seven days of the passing of a motion under the foregoing provisions, the Chief Justice of Nigeria shall at the request of the President of the Senate appoint a Panel of seven persons who in his opinion are of unquestionable integrity, not being members of any public service, legislative house or political party, to investigate the allegation as provide in this section.

(6) The holder of an office whose conduct is being investigated under this section shall have the right to defend himself in person and be represented before the Panel by legal practitioners of his own choice.

(7) A Panel appointed under this section shall -

(a) have such powers and exercise its functions in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed by the National Assembly; and

(b) within three months of its appointment report its findings to each House of the National Assembly.

(cool Where the Panel reports to each House of the National Assembly that the allegation has not been proved, no further proceedings shall be taken in respect of the matter.

(9) Where the report of the Panel is that the allegation against the holder of the office has been proved, then within fourteen days of the receipt of the report at the House the National Assembly shall consider the report, and if by a resolution of each House of the National Assembly supported by not less than two-thirds majority of all its members, the report of the Panel is adopted, then the holder of the office shall stand removed from office as from the date of the adoption of the report.

(10) No proceedings or determination of the Panel or of the National Assembly or any matter relating thereto shall be entertained or questioned in any court.

(11) In this section -

"gross misconduct" means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion of the National Assembly to gross misconduct.

146. (1) The Vice-President shall hold the office of President if the office of President becomes vacant by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or the removal of the President from office for any other reason in accordance with section 143 of this Constitution.

(2) Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in subsection (1) of this section during a period when the office of Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.

(3) Where the office of Vice-President becomes vacant:-

(a) by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or removal in accordance with section 143 or 144 of this Constitution;

(b) by his assumption of the office of President in accordance with subsection (1) of this section; or

(c) for any other reason,

the President shall nominate and, with the approval of each House of the National Assembly, appoint a new Vice-President.[/size]
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by 006(m): 1:10am On Apr 03, 2010
mikeansy:

You can not have a debate with some one who means something else from what they type.

Her anger against Dora has nothing to do with her records. She is just angry somebody was brave enough to rock the the boat.

I see.
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On Apr 03, 2010
Sigh! @Mikeansy, isn't it dishonest for you to almost ALWAYS claim, whenever you are unable to argue your side of the debate well, that your opponent is JEALOUS/HAS BAD BELLE/ IS DISHONEST etc? Why not come up with something different for once?Why not try debating me in a civil manner instead? I have highlighted my argument and have even consulted the records for you to see, yet you continue to toss it all aside sighting the usual? Won't you ever get tired of this? I mean I can understand you not having anything to continue with, but this BACKBITING/TRYING TO GET EVERYONE ELSE TO SEE YOUR OPPONENT AS THE PROBLEM is getting really old. On most every thread now, you have taken to doing this exact same. Are you not open enough to see what you are doing and how it portrays you as the dishonest debater here?
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by Nobody: 2:25am On Apr 03, 2010
I have no interest in a debate where the ultimate objective is to types last
Re: What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? by jamace(m): 3:15am On Apr 03, 2010
I have no interest in a debate where the ultimate objective is to type last
cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Those Who Love Their Country Speak Up! / Osun State Is Bankrupt / Are You A Northerner, Southerner Or Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.