Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,728 members, 7,951,986 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:48 AM

The Best Career Advice From 2017 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Best Career Advice From 2017 (558 Views)

Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech. / Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? / Best Career Advice Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Best Career Advice From 2017 by CasaFFa(f): 11:39am On Dec 20, 2017
Source: http://eagleee.com/detail?newsId=467977

2017 is almost over. A new year is nearly upon us. It's a time for resolutions and reflection. So it's not a bad time to think about improvements and tweaks we can make to our own careers.

Here's some of the best advice we heard this year:

Be intentional with your time

Facebook product design VP Julie Zhuo spends much of the day in meetings.

But before she plunges into these conversations with her teams and direct reports, she likes to make a game plan.

"I try to be very intentional about my time," she previously told Business Insider . "It's easy to get into the habit of reacting to what's happening during the day."

Stay humble and work hard

It's one thing to pay lip service to humility and work ethic. But it's another to truly demonstrate they're in line with your values during a job interview.

Daniel Schwartz, the CEO of Restaurant Brands International — the parent company of Burger King, Tim Hortons, and Popeyes — said he always vets job candidates with a certain tricky question to get a better sense of their values.

"One question I ask is, 'Are you smart or do you work hard?'" he told Adam Bryant of The New York Times .

And, Business Insider reported , there's definitely a right answer.

"You want hard workers," he said. "You'd be surprised how many people tell me, 'I don't need to work hard, I'm smart.' Really? Humility is important."

Lead with hard work and humility when presenting yourself in your professional life.

Success is about people — not plans

Plans can only get you so far. If you want to really kick your career into high gear, you're going to need help from other people.

That's something LinkedIn co-founder and investor Reid Hoffman learned firsthand.

In an interview with Business Insider's podcast " Success! How I Did It ," he advised everyone to build "as strong a network as possible, because that's the thing that most catapults you, in terms of your capabilities, in terms of your abilities to do things."

See more career advice from Tim Ferriss, Shark Tank's Barbara Corcoran and Paypal CEO Dan Schulman here - http://eagleee.com/detail?newsId=467977
Re: The Best Career Advice From 2017 by myjobmagofficia: 4:02am On Aug 18, 2018
Great advice. This also can be of good insight as you round up the new year https://www.myjobmag.com/blog/525/career-advice-from-40-top-hr-professionals-in-nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Become A Cerrified Master Project Manager (mpm) / What Is A Soldier's First Time Experience / OND Mechanical Engineers Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.