Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,923 members, 7,909,442 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 04:19 AM

Disquiet Over Dirty Drainage At Nkwo Nnewi Market - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Disquiet Over Dirty Drainage At Nkwo Nnewi Market (439 Views)

INVESTIGATION: Real People Behind The Nkwo Nnewi Fire Disaster / Constant Disruption Of Electricity Around Nkwo Nnewi, Solved: Hon Melie Onyejepu / Disquiet Over NICON Insurance Fees, As Schools Resume. Disquiet Over NICON Insur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Disquiet Over Dirty Drainage At Nkwo Nnewi Market by OrientDailyNews: 3:29pm On Dec 20, 2017
By Nnamdi Aghaulo, Nnewi

Residents and traders at the popular motorcycle spare parts at Nkwo Nnewi market in Anambra state are reportedly living in fears of potential health hazards arising from foul and toxic stench oozing out of stagnant water and wastes in the drainage channels in the area.

Orient Daily gathered that though concerted efforts were being made to clear the refuse, sands and other debris that blocked the drainage channel that runs through the market, there are growing disquiet in the market community over the actual source of the offensive water and likely health impacts on people. Concerned residents, who claimed that the water may be discharged from the mortuary of Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), banks and other industries within the vicinity of the market, are reportedly worried that they may have inhaled toxins from the stinking water and exposed to diseases.

Mr. Ifeanyichukwu Azubuike who sells motorcycle spare parts beside the drainage shared his worries with Orient Daily. “The dirty water in these gutters are causing nuisance and making this place unconducive for us the traders, because we inhale disease. Dirty water used by the patients and water from the mortuary there are all coming here, and it smells so bad that it could endanger our health in this market”, he alleges.

Other residents equally shared similar belief. Following such allegation, Orient Daily investigation revealed that water was actually flowing from the hospital but not as dirty as alleged or as stinking as the one found in the market blocked drainage.

“Yes, water from NAUTH runs through the market but this water get contaminated and odorous on passing heaps of refuse dumped by the traders in the gutters”, an official of the hospital claimed.

According to him, the drainage system that runs across the market were unkempt and messy, and were virtually blocked by refuse dumped in there and that is vehemently preventing this water discharge from connecting to the town (Nnewi) drainage system channels.

Another staff of NAUTH who equally spoke under anonymity because he was not authorized to speak adds: “this hospital have a well-constructed drainage and sewage system that all water discharge emanating from the hospital are channeled to. Moreover, the mortuary that they are talking about don’t bath or wash corpse, they only fridge and embalm them. So, such odorous water couldn’t have been coming from here to the market, if the hospital is indulging in such thing, then what message is the hospital sending to the people”, he adds.

According to him, traders in the market have drawn government’s attention to the filthy state of the drainage system “but they paid deaf ears to it and due to that the market union resorted to money collection and contribution from every shop”.

As at the time Orient Daily reporter visited the market, labourers were clearing some section of the drainage channel. But, some residents still think that clearing the drainage alone may not be the final solution.

Efforts to meet the chairman of Motorcycle Spare parts dealers Association Nkwo Nnewi, to speak on the matter proved abortive. However, a trader who plies his trade beside the blocked drainage system expressed fears that his health condition has been compromised by his frequent exposure to the toxic smell from the filthy drainage channel. According to him: “the last time I went for a laboratory test, a list of drugs was given to me, and when I went to the chemist to procure them, I was told that the cost of the drugs was N62,000, I gave up because there is no way I could afford that, so I implore the government of Anambra state to come to our aid at this critical situation.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/cityscope/disquiet-over-dirty-drainage-nkwo/

Lalasticlala seun
Re: Disquiet Over Dirty Drainage At Nkwo Nnewi Market by Annnonymous: 3:30pm On Dec 20, 2017
Don't worry, Nigerian Youth Service Cleaners are on their way grin grin

(1) (Reply)

My Five Smart Celebrity Of 2017/2k18 / Derogatory Statement: Trump Has High Regard For Nigerians - US / Proper Or Improper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.