Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,247 members, 7,891,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 09:34 AM

Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? (1930 Views)

Please Note Only For Programmers.. / For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? / See Money Making Programmers In Nairalans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by asalimpo(m): 8:16pm On Dec 23, 2017
-------------------------------
Given that everything that can be automated-will be automated.

Every thing!! It's a scary thought for those who make their living in software- will people still need programmers?
Look at the trends now.
Web site design - they're software to automate those. They're crude now,cuz this is the early stages but ... decades from now!!

Programming-
Many software applications can be generalized then abstracted away,and automated!!!
Then, newer versions of such software wont be needed!! Anymore!!
e.g
inventory management software-
for supermarkets,pharmacies etc.
It's simply inventory management underneath- as competitors rush into the field, they'll automate and automate and abstract until onlyone dominant player is left!!
bye bye creating another inventory management software. That field is closed.
Much like it's insane to start a bank without atm machines!!
It's non debatable. Atm's are here to stay.
Atm's have automated away human tellers. Long queues at banks. I bet some people have not entered banking halls in years-except to get their atm card renewed!.
Automation at work.
So,..., with self driving cars on the horizon, and a.i,will coding software seem as tedious as printing before the printing press?!
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by AntiWailer: 8:25pm On Dec 23, 2017
No be programmers go write the application that will write the program ?

grin grin grin grin

When it comes to Bespoke applications tailored to specific needs, a programmer would be definitely needed to make that happen.

The effort required to get things done might be less but doubting if a programmer is needed is laughable.

They would be needed like anything. grin

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by raymod170(m): 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
the level of programmers inputs would be reduced as if 1000 lines where written to perform a function, machine learning would reduce it to 450 and keep reduce it because it has proven to be faster and efficient in handling simple to complex problem....and less I forget it will continually shrink cos improvement is made on ml constantly

best regards
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by Dmayor7(m): 8:46am On Dec 24, 2017
This your question no make sense o.

Programmers are the ones to write the codes in the first place.

They are the ones to monitor for security breaches.

They are the ones to upgrade the software.

They are the ones to debug the codes when they starts misbehaving.

Without the programmers the codes are volatile
and helpless on there own.

1 Like

Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by bot101(m): 9:04am On Dec 24, 2017
Programmers are going nowhere, how we program is what is likely to slightly change. By that I mean, rather than your conventional methods of programming, we'll have to incorporate, integrate, and develop systems through AI, and that does not even apply in all cases.

No matter how advanced AI becomes, there are two professions that have to manage them, Software Developers (a.k.a programmers) & computer engineers.

3 Likes

Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2017
simply yes, it'll take a long time before human programmers can be eliminated from the system, maybe a century or two.

you can't leave a job of creating an object to the object, it can be a disaster

1 Like

Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by asalimpo(m): 2:22pm On Dec 24, 2017
a computer program in 1997 ,deep blue , beat world chess champion.
In 2016 or there about, one beat world best go player.
in 2014 or there about one won game of jeopardy.
in 1999 creating a website required a deep knowledge of css,js etc
now word press is a viable alternative
Self driving cars- computer program underneath.
So with self driving cars, we may see , self driving planes!
Then self driving submarines,
then self driving rockets, then ...
So - self writing and healing codes and operating systems!!
So - my thinking, as more and more gets automated away from humans,
will it not reduce the labour hands required to create the automators -the programs!
Thereby reducing the need for human intervention and hence programmers!

I could be seryously wrong anyway.
why are we even using keyboards, they could come a brain interface that just pulls the thoughts outta of our minds and passes it to screen or other recipients without us needing to
bother with typing! - huh, lazy us. We'd love it.
But that's happening with amputees who have prosthetic limps!!
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by bet9ja(m): 10:27pm On Dec 24, 2017
asalimpo:

-------------------------------
Given that everything that can be automated-will be automated.

Every thing!! It's a scary thought for those who make their living in software- will people still need programmers?
Look at the trends now.
Web site design - they're software to automate those. They're crude now,cuz this is the early stages but ... decades from now!!

Programming-
Many software applications can be generalized then abstracted away,and automated!!!
Then, newer versions of such software wont be needed!! Anymore!!
e.g
inventory management software-
for supermarkets,pharmacies etc.
It's simply inventory management underneath- as competitors rush into the field, they'll automate and automate and abstract until onlyone dominant player is left!!
bye bye creating another inventory management software. That field is closed.
Much like it's insane to start a bank without atm machines!!
It's non debatable. Atm's are here to stay.
Atm's have automated away human tellers. Long queues at banks. I bet some people have not entered banking halls in years-except to get their atm card renewed!.
Automation at work.
So,..., with self driving cars on the horizon, and a.i,will coding software seem as tedious as printing before the printing press?!

Will you hire a medical doctor to maintain/upgrade a software? the answer is no!. You can easily build a website with Wordpress by editing themes but you cannot maintain it as a layman. A serious company will never automate their software. Are you aware that a good written codes in 2017 might be outdated/vulnerable in 2018, hence you will always need a programmer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by Dmayor7(m): 8:56pm On Dec 25, 2017
bet9ja:

Will you hire a medical doctor to maintain/upgrade a software? the answer is no!. You can easily build a website with Wordpress by editing themes but you cannot maintain it as a layman. A serious company will never automate their software. Are you aware that a good written codes in 2017 might be outdated/vulnerable in 2018, hence you will always need a programmer.

Sure.... I wonder how that guy up there thinks...

All these things about automation is being done for the layman.

It's being done for the sake and convenience of the consumers.

Programmers will still be there anytime, any day to overseer things.
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by emperorizzy(m): 8:14pm On Dec 27, 2017
The answer to your question is No! Artificial intelligence is coming strong, once a machine can reproduce itself(which is the craziest feat), I'm pretty sure applications would write other applications and everything will become automated, tending to the end of the human race.
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by stonemasonn: 10:22am On Dec 29, 2017
There will be need for programmers of course. Only that the skill level required will be very high.
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 29, 2017
Programmers would write the codes,no matter the advancement of technology.But fewer programmers would be needed in future.
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by cbrass(m): 11:26pm On Dec 29, 2017
AntiWailer:
No be programmers go write the application that will write the program ?

grin grin grin grin

When it comes to Bespoke applications tailored to specific needs, a programmer would be definitely needed to make that happen.

The effort required to get things done might be less but doubting if a programmer is needed is laughable.

They would be needed like anything. grin

Don't mind them, one guy like that said something similar at work, though he is not a programmer sha. I was just looking at him cheesy
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by cbrass(m): 11:29pm On Dec 29, 2017
emperorizzy:
The answer to your question is No! Artificial intelligence is coming strong, once a machine can reproduce itself(which is the craziest feat), I'm pretty sure applications would write other applications and everything will become automated, tending to the end of the human race.

Are you a tech guy at all... , cos I doubt it with this you just wrote sad

1 Like

Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by emperorizzy(m): 10:07am On Dec 30, 2017
cbrass:

Are you a tech guy at all... , cos I doubt it with this you just wrote sad
LOL. This is quite simple, as a techie, you can't say no to the possibilities of technology. Things that were impossible in the 60's are now a child's play. Don't underestimate technology.
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by cbrass(m): 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2017
emperorizzy:

LOL. This is quite simple, as a techie, you can't say no to the possibilities of technology. Things that were impossible in the 60's are now a child's play. Don't underestimate technology.

As long as the intelligence is artificial then I rest my case
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by emperorizzy(m): 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2017
cbrass:

As long as the intelligence is artificial then I rest my case
Do more research on AI first and where it's headed. undecided
Re: Will There Still Be A Need For Programmers In The Future? by legalwebconsult(m): 5:34pm On Dec 30, 2017
DIGITAL MARKETING EBOOKS AND VIDEOS

Learn Google Adwords, Email Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Facebook Ads and other Social media marketing etc...

These DIGITAL MARKETING COURSE is packaged and organized to teach you everything you need to know. So it is a practical oriented training ebooks and videos geared toward showing you how to use the online media for marketing purpose.

Visit www.dmf.legalwebconsult.com

(1) (Reply)

Programming Language For Football Prediction Sites. / A Programmer Needs Advice On Which Country To Travel To / How Hard Is Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.