Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,725 members, 7,875,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:09 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (454) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1187293 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (451) (452) (453) (454) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Taal17: 1:43am On Jun 23
..and don't compare yourself to Mexicans Their situation is different

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Elo2020(f): 3:48am On Jun 23
1stGenAmerican:

Please don’t take that advice and apply for Medicaid. You’ll never get another US visa.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by IggyAzalea(f): 7:08am On Jun 23
Zaramtl:

Hello ma, I’m been searching for information on giving birth at northside hospital and came across yours. Would love to send you an email to get more usful information please

Don't DM that moniker for your own good or your money would be gone its a do it yourself thread go thru previous posts n contact hospitals directly u don't need anybody 4 anything.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 11:46am On Jun 23
JadeWilliam:

Ur baby is a US citizen. Tell the hospital case manager that u will like to apply for Medicaid. Do not let the hospital con u into paying out of pocket.

NICU bill will drown u. It’s ur baby’s entitlement. U, the parent doesn’t have to be a US citizen to do that. Ur baby is a citizen. There are so many Mexican immigrants that utilize Medicaid and they are not even PR. U have to be informed to know the way.

U can also call Medicaid urself or go to their office nearest to u. Just put it on google map. Goodluck and pray for ur baby. Wishing u the best
This is a terrible and wrong advice.

If you do this, be aware that you’ll never get approved for visa renewal. You’ll likely not be able to bring your child back here for any vacation.

Maybe after your child turns 21 he can then file for you.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 11:50am On Jun 23
Elo2020:

What do you suggest i do please?
There are few things you can do.

1. Take a payment plan. It can be as low as $500 monthly.

2. Ask the Case Manager for low income financial waiver application. This way, you might get those bills waived.

Hospitals are non-profits, so there are forms/ applications that low income earners can fill to have their medical bills reduced or waived.

Do not use medicaid.

Tell them you’re a non-immigrant and not entitled to state/ federal benefits. They might want to make the Medicaid application for your child, inform them that you cannot take it as it would jeopardize your chances of bringing your child back when you leave.

If they are adamant and would not let you fill out the application, make a post here let me see if that’s the case.

https://www.hcahoustonhealthcare.com/patient-resources/patient-financial-resources/financial-assistance

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Taal17: 3:24pm On Jun 23
Elo2020:

You can look or ask around for local charities that help mothers with hospital bills. You might find some
Or as another person suggested you work out a payment plan with the hospital, explain you can't afford it you might get some of it discounted

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:23pm On Jun 23
Elo2020:

If you plan on entering this country anytime in the future, unfortunately your only option is to make arrangements to pay the bill in full. Accepting a discount or any type of financial aid is against the rules—bills have to be paid in full with no discounts. Women who come to the US and other countries to give birth need to have extra money available for unforeseen emergencies such as yours.
Remember, in the future, VOs will need to see that YOU have paid your bills in full. If you do your research or even read through this thread, you’ll see that women given discounts complain of subsequent visa denials.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 8:59pm On Jun 23
CNNalhaji:

Dear Reader.
This is a wicked and cruel advice and no one should take it serious. @Elo2020 some genuine posters have given you the best answers You can look out for other avenues . America is the mother of charities don't let anyone scare you. You have stated you can't get this money and this poster is enforcing you to do otherwise to the extent of not even accepting discount from the hospital haba !

How is the truth a cruel advice? What he posted there is the absolute truth. So how is it a wicked advice? Taking public funds to settle your hospital bills might serve you negatively in subsequent interviews

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 9:07pm On Jun 23
Elo2020:

Do not take public funds. Except you don’t intend renewing your visa.

Your best bet is to seek for ways to pay in installments.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by CNNalhaji(m): 8:00am On Jun 24
chidiakwari:
How is the truth a cruel advice? What he posted there is the absolute truth. So how is it a wicked advice? Taking public funds to settle your hospital bills might serve you negatively in subsequent interviews

Mr Justwise .

Stop deleting my post. I thought you are voted as unbias and non tribalistic MOD ?

This chidiakwari is discouraging people to seek for genuine and available opportunities in the United States and what i posted was to open the eyes of the understanding of the OP. Please stop deleting my post in order to give opportunity for another. Nobody works inside the embassy on nairaland so no one should give absolute decision like a god here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by justwise(m): 8:53am On Jun 24
CNNalhaji:

Mr Justwise .

Stop deleting my post. I thought you are voted as unbias and non tribalistic MOD ?

This chidiakwari is discouraging people to seek for genuine and available opportunities in the United States and what i posted was to open the eyes of the understanding of the OP. Please stop deleting my post in order to give opportunity for another. Nobody works inside the embassy on nairaland so no one should give absolute decision like a god here.

Mr CNNalhaji

chidiakwari and many others here are telling the op the truth while you are encouraging the abuse of the system, the op is not entited to seek puplic fund from American tax payers. If you can not afford to give birth in US then don't start the process but if you ran into financial difficties after giving birth then arrange for payment plan with the hospital.

And finally stop insulting people because they did not share you view on this issue. I have zero time for that.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by CNNalhaji(m): 9:45am On Jun 24
justwise:

Mr CNNalhaji

chidiakwari and many others here are telling the op the truth while you are encouraging the abuse of the system, the op is not entited to seek puplic fund from American tax payers. If you can not afford to give birth in US then don't start the process but if you ran into financial difficties after giving birth then arrange for payment plan with the hospital.

And finally stop insulting people because they did not share you view on this issue. I have zero time for that.

Please with due respect do not tell me to stop insulting people have you ever cautioned @fearlessfang bashing @ OyotunjiUSA? What did you say to @Taal17 insulting OyotunjiUSA?

You are a MOD stop writing one-sided corrections. And what happens if the lady in the US could not get the bill ? You said she should arrange for the bill from where ?

That is over protective of unexisting policy.

PS: You have never in oneday cautioned @Danburuwa. I can screenshot their attack posts here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 9:33pm On Jun 27
CNNalhaji:

Please with due respect do not tell me to stop insulting people have you ever cautioned @fearlessfang bashing @ OyotunjiUSA? What did you say to @Taal17 insulting OyotunjiUSA?

You are a MOD stop writing one-sided corrections. And what happens if the lady in the US could not get the bill ? You said she should arrange for the bill from where ?

That is over protective of unexisting policy.

PS: You have never in oneday cautioned @Danburuwa. I can screenshot their attack posts here.

She should arrange the bill from home - her husband can borrow from friends, family etc., they can get a loan from Nigeria, sell property. Plenty of opportunities.

Remember, those visa officers have SS taxes automatically deducted from their paychecks. 99.9% of them would never be eligible for Medicaid, yet you who lied that you had sufficient funds to have a baby in the US (the sole basis of having your visa approved) now want to dip from money you never contributed to. Yet Nigerians whine that leadership is the problem.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 9:39pm On Jun 27
Elo2020:

If you were truthful about your ability to pay when applying for a visa, you would not have been in this position in the first place.

What you should do:

1. Ask the hospital to give you a full accounting of your bill.
2. Ask the hospital for a payment plan
3. Get your husband to gather money - borrow from friends/family, take a loan, or sell property.

You can pay the bills, you're simply looking for an easy way out, cheating the US taxpayer. You are a classic example of why the Supreme Court will likely be asked to decide the 14th Amendment sooner rather than later. You can get Medicaid... then return to Nigeria, while the rest of us pick up the tab in the form of mandatory SS taxes that most of us would never qualify for, and increasing medical insurance premiums to cover your deficit. Thanks for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 9:42pm On Jun 27
chidiakwari:
There are few things you can do.

1. Take a payment plan. It can be as low as $500 monthly.

2. Ask the Case Manager for low income financial waiver application. This way, you might get those bills waived.

Hospitals are non-profits, so there are forms/ applications that low income earners can fill to have their medical bills reduced or waived.

Do not use medicaid.

Tell them you’re a non-immigrant and not entitled to state/ federal benefits. They might want to make the Medicaid application for your child, inform them that you cannot take it as it would jeopardize your chances of bringing your child back when you leave.

If they are adamant and would not let you fill out the application, make a post here let me see if that’s the case.

https://www.hcahoustonhealthcare.com/patient-resources/patient-financial-resources/financial-assistance

Not true. Most large US hospitals are for-profit. The OP's hospital, HCA, is owned by HCA Healthcare Inc. and is quoted on the US stock exchange - the stock price is $343.29.

People like OP who obtain "discount" services are why the rest of us must pay outrageous medical costs every year to cover the losses.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 1:33am On Jun 28
TWoods:

Not true. Most large US hospitals are for-profit. The OP's hospital, HCA, is owned by HCA Healthcare Inc. and is quoted on the US stock exchange - the stock price is $343.29.

People like OP who obtain "discount" services are why the rest of us must pay outrageous medical costs every year to cover the losses.
The right word there was most US hospitals. 57% of hospitals in US are non-profit while 19% are controlled by states, county, or city.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 4:47am On Jun 28
chidiakwari:
The right word there was most US hospitals. 57% of hospitals in Nigeria are non-profit while 19% are controlled by states, county, or city.

This was your quote...

Do not use medicaid.

What part of that suggests you are referring to Nigerian hospitals? It's ok to say you don't know how things work here.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Elo2020(f): 5:20am On Jun 28
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 5:36am On Jun 28
Elo2020:

This is so mean of you especially the “looking for an easy way out part”.
I never planned for this to happen, i had preeclampsia &
baby had to be delivered at 32weeks to save our lives & stayed in the NICU for 3wks.
I only asked for the way forward, i didn’t say i was gonna run away from the bills.
This is not my 1st time or child in the US, i paid all my bills.
Anything can happen, i didnt plan for this.

My apologies but developed countries do not function on hope, sympathy, prayer, and a failure to plan. It is mean to consider utilizing social services that you have not paid into. The terms of your visa required you to not just have enough money to cover your child's birth, but any incidentals that may arise. Had you informed the VO that you wouldn't have enough to cover a potential NICU stay, your visa would have been denied. Would the VO be "so mean" in that case?

I am baffled as to why you would be asking for "the way forward"? Can you not borrow money from family, or friends, sell assets, or get a loan from a Nigerian bank? My only guess is that you were anticipating someone would have an idea how you could discharge your debts with minimal impact on you (screw others who have to pay higher taxes and insurance premiums to cover for that) - trust me, we don't plan for that either.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 10:51am On Jun 28
TWoods:

This was your quote...

Do not use medicaid.

What part of that suggests you are referring to Nigerian hospitals? It's ok to say you don't know how things work here.
Relax, no one is arguing with you. Take some deep breath.

I clearly mentioned, “what I meant was most hospitals” but left out “most”. Yes, infact all hospitals in the U.S. have that financial waiver form to have medical bills waived or discounted if you qualify.

That was obviously a mistake. I meant most hospitals in the U.S. You should understand it was an error. You really love to argue unnecessarily. Take some Valium.

Just by reading my response you, most would understand what I was referring to was US.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by whiteMandingo: 2:17pm On Jun 28
Elo2020:

baby had to be delivered at 32weeks to save our lives & stayed in the NICU for 3wks.
I only asked for the way forward, i didn’t say i was gonna run away from the bills.

you gotta weigh, ur ever being able to go back to the USA vs financial bankruptcy..
NICU aint beans..you could be looking at 50k to 140k usd for a few weeks nicu stay..say about 100m naira on the average. either discuss with the hospital ask for their best discount, then prep a payment plan...it might take u several yrs to finish the payment...or you kiss the usa goodbye and take other gray options earlier explained by others
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by IggyAzalea(f): 4:27pm On Jun 28
Elo2020:

Hi.
But why re you giving yourself headache when this is not your 1st time of birthing in the States? Are you communicating with your God ? Or the US president 😔 Go and seek for help anywhere you feel like and anyone who goes against it should lend you money. America is no 1 in charities n opportunities.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 4:54pm On Jun 28
chidiakwari:
Relax, no one is arguing with you. Take some deep breath.

I clearly mentioned, “what I meant was most hospitals” but left out “most”. Yes, infact all hospitals in the U.S. have that financial waiver form to have medical bills waived or discounted if you qualify.

That was obviously a mistake. I meant most hospitals in the U.S. You should understand it was an error. You really love to argue unnecessarily. Take some Valium.

Just by reading my response you, most would understand what I was referring to was US.

You're all over the map. It's not looking to argue, it's pointing out a clear misrepresentation - this is not a debate on what proportion of hospitals in the US are for-profit or non-profit. The OP is talking about HCA Houston, which is where i live and i am quite familiar with. You implied it was non-profit. It isn't. Simple.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 4:58pm On Jun 28
IggyAzalea:

Hi.
But why re you giving yourself headache when this is not your 1st time of birthing in the States? Are you communicating with your God ? Or the US president 😔 Go and seek for help anywhere you feel like and anyone who goes against it should lend you money. America is no 1 in charities n opportunities.

HCA Houston is not a charity.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidiakwari: 5:53pm On Jun 28
TWoods:

You're all over the map. It's not looking to argue, it's pointing out a clear misrepresentation - this is not a debate on what proportion of hospitals in the US are for-profit or non-profit. The OP is talking about HCA Houston, which is where i live and i am quite familiar with. You implied it was non-profit. It isn't. Simple.
Take some Valium.

(1) (2) (3) ... (451) (452) (453) (454) (Reply)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.