Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,625 members, 7,918,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:34 PM

Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? (789 Views)

Ladies Would You Remain With Your Spouse If He Suddenly Goes Broke? / How Do I Remain Friends With This Girl Without Feeling A Thing For Her? / How Do People Remain Friends With People They Still Have Feelings For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by jannydear(f): 3:14pm On Dec 24, 2017
Most people still chose to still remain casual friends with their ex after a breakup, but is this sensible? Should you quit being friends with your ex considering the fact that you are no longer a couple? Let’s consider the following points to help you address the issue.

You should be certain of what you want
So what do you really want? You have to be honest with yourself about what you are truly thinking and feeling toward your ex in their presence or absence. With an ex, it means the romance has gone out of your relationship, but the bond of friendship between two of you is still strong. It is foolish to act like you want to simply be friends with your ex, when what you actually want is an opportunity to win back their love.

READ ALSO: 7 Signs Your Partner Is Still In Love with Their Ex

This can be quite thorny, especially if your partner has moved on with another person. If you are still emotionally attached to your ex when in reality, they have moved on, then it is best to accept the losses and move on with your life without still remaining friends, since being friends can upset you emotionally. However, you can still decide to remain friends if you feel very comfortable with them and their new relationship.

Your interaction with them matters
If your breakup was on a good and harmonious note, then it would be easy to make a smooth transition to friendship, devoid of any sentiments or emotions. However, if your relationship was laden with fighting, bitter acrimony and nasty separation, it would be best to avoid any form of friendship after your split and just maintain your distance.

READ ALSO: 10 Signs to Tell Your Boyfriend Loves You

How your interactions leave you feeling about yourself
If you and your ex still care for each other and express this in ways that leave you feeling good about yourself, then you may probably have a solid friendship going on. On the other hand, if exposure to your ex leaves you doubting yourself, then you might want to rethink the wisdom of trying to maintain a friendship.

How long do you need to distance yourself
It may be that you simply need time to recover from the breakup and can reconnect when you are feeling much better. If you are considering approaching your ex, avoid giving yourself a time limit. As an alternative, monitor yourself and contemplate what will work well for you each step along the way.

READ ALSO: 8 Steps to Rekindle the Lost Spark in a Relationship

How much distance do you need
If even seeing your ex in person causes you great distress, then it may be best to do what you can to limit such contact. You might also want to limit your contact on social media, if seeing your ex on any platform stirs up emotions. If you need to be on social media often without wanting to see them, it may be wise to unfriend them.is also triggering, you might want to limit your contact here, too. You should note that your individual choices to remain friends is a personal one, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it should last forever.

Bottom Line
If you still want to remain friends with your ex, you may need to first take time to be apart or separated from each other, and get used to not being around them. This is imperative, so you wouldn’t get into a fit of jealousy if you eventually see them with someone new. Both of you would need to agree on remaining just friends after your breakup. If your ex isn’t comfortable with this idea, then you also need to let it go.

Source: http://www.healthdiary365.com/2017/12/24/should-you-remain-friends-with-your-ex/

Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by FvckShiT(m): 3:15pm On Dec 24, 2017
Absolutely fūckFůcking Yes cheesy ,Just in case u wanna re-fūck her grin
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Dec 24, 2017
Not talking to an ex makes me forget the ex easily and the memories we shared won't be reminisced.
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:23pm On Dec 24, 2017
if there was never any issues between you and that person, and you guys were not meant to be a couple, that does not mean you cannot/shouldnt remain friends. the important question here is why shouldnt you, if you parted ways on amicable terms?!

sadly. the answer to the above question is often "because of your insecure low self esteem new partner".

1 Like

Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by brodalikeme(m): 3:31pm On Dec 24, 2017
Most of my ex have been my best friends. The relationship has even been extended to my wife. We appreciate each other and we have come to understand that we were in each other's life for reasons other than marriage. Finally, I've never dated a stupid girl, so thumps up to all the girls I've ever dated.
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by boynigeria(m): 3:38pm On Dec 24, 2017
I dont like the idea of being friend with my ex but even if ure gonna be friends, give it time after you guys must have broken up

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by zexy2030(m): 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2017
No
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by Modelqwen(f): 3:53pm On Dec 24, 2017
shocked

Yes....

but Once i break up wit u, i don't knw u,
u becomes a total stranger & no emotion
attached anymore.
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by Divay22(f): 3:55pm On Dec 24, 2017
FvckShiT:
Absolutely fūckFůcking Yes cheesy ,Just in case u wanna re-fūck her grin
I so fücking miss you cheesy cheesy

Where have you fûcking been?
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by FvckShiT(m): 4:02pm On Dec 24, 2017
Divay22:

I so fücking miss you cheesy cheesy

Where have you fûcking been?

Fůcking missed u too girlie
Been on a Fůcking ban undecided they don't bloodýfuçking wan me to Fůcking express myself better
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by akaahs(m): 4:03pm On Dec 24, 2017
Most exs are psychopaths. To b on d safer part, i delete everything about an ex.
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by Meninist: 4:06pm On Dec 24, 2017
There is a reason why they are called "EX". They are to be forgotten in the annals of history.
Run from any woman still involved with her ex.
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by Divay22(f): 4:08pm On Dec 24, 2017
FvckShiT:

Fůcking missed u too girlie
Been on a Fůcking ban undecided they don't bloodýfuçking wan me to Fůcking express myself better
What? shocked shocked
Who's that fúcking mod that passed you on a ban?
No Christmas chiken for am angry angry

Sorry dear.
How is the fučking Christmas going at your end
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by FvckShiT(m): 4:13pm On Dec 24, 2017
Divay22:

What? shocked shocked
Who's that fúcking mod that passed you on a ban?
No Christmas chiken for am angry angry

Sorry dear.
How is the fučking Christmas going at your end

Who else but da bloodyfùcking dòuchebag modundecided .Xmas fůcking came early here cheesy .So bloodyfùcking turnt up.Where d fūck are you turning up 2mar
Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by Divay22(f): 4:21pm On Dec 24, 2017
FvckShiT:

Who else but da bloodyfùcking dòuchebag modundecided .Xmas fůcking came early here cheesy .So bloodyfùcking turnt up.Where d fūck are you turning up 2mar
Lol
Let's just fùcking forgive him.

Enjoy dear :Dbut please don't fùcking play to were those bi*ches are angry

I'll just stay the fučk at home sad
Kinda not happy about some issues... But it's all good cheesy smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should You Remain Friends With Your Ex? by iykekelvins(m): 4:31pm On Dec 24, 2017
Yes, they turn out to be FWB..

(1) (Reply)

Singer, Bez Concert Turns Kissing Competition In Lagos (photos) / Man Cancels His Engagement In 3days Cos She Refused To Allow His Sis Make Hair / Don't Operate In Time Frame That Is Not Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.