Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,163 members, 7,884,050 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 10:30 PM

Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer (18932 Views)

Employer Drags 2 Hungry Staff To Court For Stealing Loaves Of Bread Worth N2,600 / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Frustrated Employee Blasts His Employer For Always Messing With His “small” Sala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by cassidy1996(m): 9:22am On Dec 27, 2017
idu1:

I used my money to saved one modafukas wife in the dead of the night when she had medical emergency. You won't believe what they are telling me about the money now. I have dash them the money. Na karma judgment I dey wait....

some people are just ungrateful, we just have to be careful
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by donqx: 9:26am On Dec 27, 2017
oh
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by jaxxy(m): 9:30am On Dec 27, 2017
Here the issue she told u a week after dat they cant pay the agreed amount b4 the 3 weeks elapsed that was the red flag. Wat was the conclusion of that discussion? Did the company still agree to have u resume at the 3 week period for same salary or another agreed one or was the issue unresolved and u waited 2weeks with no communication and update. Usually coys like u to resume at their own time unless they really need u then they are ready to wait. This is quite though.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by GreatManBee: 9:39am On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Yes, u have a strong case. Head to an industrial court and file your case. You may not need the services of a lawyer if you can't afford one. This is a serious breach of contract; forget about the letter they are asking for, they gave you a valid appointment letter stating the conditions of engagement.

For the benefit of others reading:

When you get a new offer, resume immediately! Forget the one month in Lieu nonsense. There is provisions in the labor act for monitizing it. You return one month basic salary to them and move on. Maximum of one week notice is ideal if u are in a position where a comprehensive handover is required.

Another option is to get your annual leave and resume At the new place. Mail them towards the end of the leave and then take two days and return to them to formalise the exit.

I prefer a hard copy letter and keep a signed copy. If u must mail, then copy your own private mail.

Don't let those bastards get away with this. Sue their ars.e for the entire offer they gave u multiplied by 35 yrs u would have worked for them, include legal fees, inconvenience fee and 12% interest rate pending on when the case will be concluded. Industrial court don don't take that long.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by GreatManBee: 9:40am On Dec 27, 2017
bankyblue:

U said it all, that is what I do, I take leave, resume, check how they operate, and decide if I will stay or not.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by solonubinho(m): 10:23am On Dec 27, 2017
Hi, I just read your post and its quite unfortunate. I am an expert in Labour matters and you could send me an inMail if you wish to have a proper discussion on how to proceed against the new company.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by pedrilo: 11:03am On Dec 27, 2017
YoungRichRuler:
OP, even if you sue the new company and win the case, do you think they will pay you the agreed amount? Hope you have documents of the agreement? Have they issued you an offer letter?

Can you negotiate another salary?
If you win the case and they take you, if after paying you once they fire you? Will you sue them again?

I wish you the best out of this situation
thank you my brother.
this is a strong lesson for us as workers.
never ever resign from ur old job b4 resuming ur new job!
forget those talks about one or two months notice b4 resignation! its hogwash!
if they can fire without informing workers, we can also resign without informing them.
from the look of tins, Op, doesnt stand a chance at all.
he shud take dis as a bitter pill and move on.
But personally, i just learned a hard lesson from op's predicament this morning, the reason i love NL

2 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by pedrilo: 11:07am On Dec 27, 2017
solonubinho:
Hi, I just read your post and its quite unfortunate. I am an expert in Labour matters and you could send me an inMail if you wish to have a proper discussion on how to proceed against the new company.
bros forget this tin, dont allow him to waste his money on u based on legal fees pls.
the new company can sack him after 3 or 4 months to save face, are u goin to sue them again?
how many 9ja companies sacking staff indiscriminately have u sued successfully and have them rescind their decision?
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 27, 2017
smiley
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Caseless: 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2017
biacan:
hmmmmmm this is a serious issue but are you in good terms with your previous employer before you left the company.....?
Go to his friends and explain to them beg them to take you to him and promise your employer that you've accepted the cause of your actions and it won't happen again he should give you one last chance GOOD Luck

meanwhile
Pray and fast before doing the above the creator is still faithful
if you leave my company for another and it ended up this way , you're not coming back.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by adekanmbi1986(m): 1:50pm On Dec 27, 2017
babajeje123:

One of the reasons I don't do a month notice stuff.

Without a month notice stuff; how do you go about it ?
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Jungpablo: 1:54pm On Dec 27, 2017
hmmm is as if people in the village are angry with yu
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Yes, u have a strong case. Head to an industrial court and file your case. You may not need the services of a lawyer if you can't afford one. This is a serious breach of contract; forget about the letter they are asking for, they gave you a valid appointment letter stating the conditions of engagement.

When you get a new offer, resume immediately! Forget the one month in Lieu nonsense. There is provisions in the labor act for monitizing it. You return one month basic salary to them and move on. Maximum of one week notice is ideal if u are in a position where a comprehensive handover is required.

Another option is to get your annual leave and resume At the new place. Mail them towards the end of the leave and then take two days and return to them to formalise the exit.

I prefer a hard copy letter and keep a signed copy. If u must mail, then copy your own private mail.

Don't let those bastards get away with this. Sue their ars.e for the entire offer they gave u multiplied by 35 yrs u would have worked for them, include legal fees, inconvenience fee and 12% interest rate pending on when the case will be concluded. Industrial court don don't take that long.

Hmmmm, nice advice. You really tried for the OP.

But please spare him additional frustration plus unplanned hunger. The country in view is our dear Nigeria, and it's not yet organized for such. For a firm or a Union, yes but not for a poor individual.

A new year is fast approaching, advise him to go queue for another job quickly.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by frank043(m): 2:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

Was about typing this as advise, then I read your write up!

But if the fellow didn't formally accept the offer, then he is on a long thing bro...
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by frank043(m): 2:38pm On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,
I need an advise from any lawyer in the house. I got a new job and was a given a letter of employment by the HR personnel of the company. I told the HR personnel that I have to give one month notice to my current employer then but she insisted on 3weeks. I agreed with the 3 weeks and sent my letter of resignation giving 3 weeks ahead as my last day with my current employer then. After about a week the HR personnel told me that the company cannot pay me the agreed amount, I told her that I have dropped my resignation letter and there is nothing I can do about it at that point in time. Thanks for your responses.

I just hope and pray you formally accepted the offer, else, you may be on a long thing man. If you happen to have accepted, then sue their sorry as.s in an industrial court.
Crazy fellows!!!
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by lonelydora: 2:43pm On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

I am in a situation too. How do i handle it? After more than 3 months of my exit from my former employer, i am yet to be paid my entitlements. I resigned because i am going to school abroad which i stated in my letter. They mailed me what i should be expecting but orally told me i will get it within 1 month of my exit because i will be needing it for my tuition. Now, if by 20th January 2018 the school do not confirm the full payment, i will forfeit the 50% payment i already made. How do i handle this? Should i also go to industrial court? I need help asap.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by MaziOmenuko: 4:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
angelbulksms:

Hmmmm, nice advice. You really tried for the OP.

But please spare him additional frustration plus unplanned hunger. The country in view is our dear Nigeria, and it's not yet organized for such. For a firm or a Union, yes but not for a poor individual.

A new year is fast approaching, advise him to go queue for another job quickly.

You are a bloody joker! You actually think the country is not organised, that's how myopic peeps like you get tossed about for nothing.

Do you even know what the industrial court is? Have you even heard about it before?

2 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by MaziOmenuko: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2017
lonelydora:

I am in a situation too. How do i handle it? After more than 3 months of my exit from my former employer, i am yet to be paid my entitlements. I resigned because i am going to school abroad which i stated in my letter. They mailed me what i should be expecting but orally told me i will get it within 1 month of my exit because i will be needing it for my tuition. Now, if by 20th January 2018 the school do not confirm the full payment, i will forfeit the 50% payment i already made. How do i handle this? Should i also go to industrial court? I need help asap.

Contact a lawyer to write to them officially and inform them of the need to pay up immediately. He will remind them the legal implications of not paying up.

That was how my previous place of work was deducting my pension without remitting same to my PFA. I realized it after I had resigned. No need for lawyer, I wrote them myself after I had researched on the pension law and the implication of non remittance. I threatened to report them and within two days, they remitted to my account.

We have good laws in Nigeria to protect both employer and employee, but just like is seen in this thread, many Nigerians prefer to forfeit their rights and be treated anyhow

3 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by lonelydora: 5:02pm On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

Contact a lawyer to write to them officially and inform them of the need to pay up immediately. He will remind them the legal implications of not paying up.

That was how my previous place of work was deducting my pension without remitting same to my PFA. I realized it after I had resigned. No need for lawyer, I wrote them myself after I had researched on the pension law and the implication of non remittance. I threatened to report them and within two days, they remitted to my account.

We have good laws in Nigeria to protect both employer and employee, but just like is seen in this thread, many Nigerians prefer to forfeit their rights and be treated anyhow

same thing with me. From 2008 to 2010 they didn't remit my pension to my PFA, i have written them many times but all my mails have been unanswered. They no longer pick my calls.

Well, my family legal team are ready to take up the case legally, but won't it delay my payment. They said if i lose my admission, they wil claim damages.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

You are a bloody joker! You actually think the country is not organised, that's how myopic peeps like you get tossed about for nothing.

Do you even know what the industrial court is? Have you even heard about it before?

Did you quarrel with someone before making your post?

Back to the discuss:
Replace the word organized with primed because the former appears to be a slight on the country, and could derail my point.
Legal battles involve time (money) no matter the type/jurisdiction.
It's never wise to engage when there's no alternative means at hand.
The best advise for the OP for now is for him to focus on getting a new job quickly as lots of companies are recruiting for the new year presently.
When he is comfortable (on the new job), he could easily send (pay) a lawyer on such suing errands. In all, he wins.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by adexdebo17: 11:05pm On Dec 27, 2017
ur village pple are realli behind you,u realli need prayers
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Bigsteveg(m): 12:08am On Dec 28, 2017
biacan:
hmmmmmm this is a serious issue but are you in good terms with your previous employer before you left the company.....?
Go to his friends and explain to them beg them to take you to him and promise your employer that you've accepted the cause of your actions and it won't happen again he should give you one last chance GOOD Luck

meanwhile
Pray and fast before doing the above the creator is still faithful
HE should go to the former employer friends as if its a boutique or a cloth shop. What if its a multi national company? So he should be looking for the CEO friend bah?

I fear for u o
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Machi1(m): 10:34pm On Dec 28, 2017
I am very grateful for your responses and wonderful contributions. I pray that justice will prevail.

God bless you all!

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by franchuks(m): 7:33pm On Dec 29, 2017
cassidy1996:
sorry, I feel for you. please forget about the lawyer thing, concentrate on getting another job and put everything thing GOD'S HANDS

please I want to warn those good Samaritan's out there , mind who you lend money to some people are evil. they will never pay you back and when you ask for your money, they are ready to fight and call you names

Thanks for this.. I hardly give out money again. These people have taught me to lie or say something or I just give a token that can be forgotten.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Machi1(m): 6:23pm On May 16, 2019
Hello Nairaland Fam..I pleased to inform you all that I won the suit case against my former employer today. The court ruled in my favour with respect to a breach of contract. I want to specially thank God and Strichland Associates. They got across to me after reading my story here. Sincerely they did a great job without a cost, I couldn't have engaged the services of a reputable law firm. This victory is for all the young hardworking Nigerians who are been frustrated and intimidated out there by employers. There is hope for a better country where truth and justice will prevail. God bless you all!

4 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Dottune(m): 4:34pm On Sep 20, 2019
Machi1:
Hello Nairaland Fam..I pleased to inform you all that I won the suit case against my former employer today. The court ruled in my favour with respect to a breach of contract. I want to specially thank God and Strichland Associates. They got across to me after reading my story here. Sincerely they did a great job without a cost, I couldn't have engaged the services of a reputable law firm. This victory is for all the young hardworking Nigerians who are been frustrated and intimidated out there by employers. There is hope for a better country where truth and justice will prevail. God bless you all!
Wow, this is great, the funny thing is that I first read the thread when you created it, I bookmarked it on my browser. I was looking through my bookmarked webpages and I saw this post, my mind just said I should check if there is any update and na good news I see.
This is nice, hope they paid or what was the conclusion?
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Asquare84(m): 2:17pm On Sep 21, 2019
Machi1:

Congratulations to you, I can only wonder if you stick to the advice of some people that told you to leave the case to God.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Agricultural Enginering Companies In Nigeria / Signs You Are Pursuing A Wrong Career. / When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.