Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,109 members, 7,939,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:41 AM

All You Need To Know About Boxing Day - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / All You Need To Know About Boxing Day (555 Views)

What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? / What Is The Meaning Of Boxing Day? / Watch This Funny Nigeria Kids Dec 2017 Boxing Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Need To Know About Boxing Day by Studentcosmos(m): 6:49am On Dec 26, 2017
WHAT IS BOXING DAY?

Boxing Day is a bank holiday that generally takes place every 26th of December. It is observed by Commonwealth Nations, United Kingdom, Barbados, Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Bermuda, New Zealand, Kenya, South Africa, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Nigeria and other former British colonies.

ORIGIN AND WHY THE NAME ‘BOXING DAY’
The traditional celebration of Boxing Day included giving money and other gifts to charitable institutions, needy individuals, and people in service jobs. The holiday may date from the Middle Ages (A.D. 400’s–1500’s), but the exact origin is unknown.

There has been various theories about the Origin of the name "Boxing Day":

1. A day servants, Post-men and errand-boys receive a ‘Christmas Box’ (In Britain, a Christmas box is a name for a Christmas present) from their masters. They would also go home on Boxing Day to give ‘Christmas Boxes’ to their families.
2. An Alms Box placed in areas of worship to collect donations to the poor.
3. Custom in the late Roman/early Christian era, wherein metal boxes placed outside churches were used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen, which in the Western Church falls on the same day as Boxing Day.
4. And there is also one popular reason (what I heard people say)
You will be too pre-occupied on Christmas day to unwrap your Christmas gift, so you have to wait till the next day (Boxing Day) to open your Christmas box.

FACTS ABOUT BOXING DAY

1. December 26 is also St. Stephen’s day, a religious holiday.
2. In UK, If Boxing Day falls on a Saturday, the following Monday is given as a substitute bank holiday. On the occasion when Christmas Day is on a Saturday and 26 December on a Sunday, the following Monday, 27 December, is the substitute bank holiday for Boxing Day and Tuesday, 28 December, the substitute bank holiday for Christmas Day.
3. In South Africa, Boxing Day was renamed Day of Goodwill in 1994.
4. In Ireland, December 26 is known as both St. Stephen’s Day and the Day of the Wren or Wren’s Day.
5. In the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand,[25] Boxing Day is primarily known as a shopping holiday, much like Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) in the United States.
6. In the United Kingdom, it is traditional for the Premier League (England), Scottish Premiership (Scotland) and NIFL Premiership (Northern Ireland), as well as the lower divisions and rugby leagues, to hold a full programme of football and rugby union matches on Boxing Day.

Culled from Boxing Day on: http://studentcosmos.com/boxing-day/
Re: All You Need To Know About Boxing Day by KardinalZik(m): 6:57am On Dec 26, 2017
That doesn't change the fact that it is unscriptural. Give me my Box before you preach further.
Happy Celebration!

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Boxing Day by duroc(m): 6:57am On Dec 26, 2017
Informative
Re: All You Need To Know About Boxing Day by hatchy(f): 6:58am On Dec 26, 2017
Today is boxing day.
I have my boxing gloves ready for a fight.

Where is that mod Mynd44 that always ban me for criticizing the dullard of Aso Rock, you will be the first to receive my 50 kg punch.
grin grin[img][/img]

5 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Boxing Day by Mynd44: 7:28am On Dec 26, 2017
hatchy:
Today is boxing day.
I have my boxing gloves ready for a fight.

Where is that mod Mynd44 that always ban me for criticizing the dullard of Aso Rock, you will be the first to receive my 50 kg punch.
grin grin[img][/img]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Boxing Day by Greatgrandson(m): 7:49am On Dec 26, 2017
Those days, parents used to warn their children not to engage in any kind of fight today as anybody killed in the process of fighting today is a waste. grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

#breaking; FG Constitutes Chairman And Board Members Into Government Agencies / Yoruba Will Resist “grazing Colonies”, Says ONAC / Shock As Man Weds Blood Sister In Anambra Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.