Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,177 members, 7,933,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 02:20 PM

Ever Wondered How Your Phone Connects To Emergency Services, Even Without No Sim - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ever Wondered How Your Phone Connects To Emergency Services, Even Without No Sim (654 Views)

World’s Largest’ Compressed Air Energy Storage Project Connects To The Grid In C / Telegram Launches Blockchain-powered Numbers For No-sim Sign-ups / How To Block Your Bank Account In Case Of Emergency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ever Wondered How Your Phone Connects To Emergency Services, Even Without No Sim by Christo49: 9:58am On Dec 31, 2017
In order to fully understand why smartphones can dial 911 without SIM cards, let’s review some concepts first.

SIM cards identify the cell service subscriber that is trying to connect to the network. Every user has their own SIM, so carriers can direct calls to that specific phone and track usage (and charges) individually. The identifying number of a SIM card is called an ICCID.

Each SIM is internationally identified by its integrated circuit card identifier (ICCID). ICCIDs are stored in the SIM cards and are also engraved or printed on the SIM card body during a process called personalisation.

IMEI is the DNA of a phone; all phones can be identified just with their IMEI.
When there is no sim card, how does a smartphone connect to emergency services?
This is what happens when you put a call through to you friend

Vikky’s phone to cell tower: My IMEI is 123 and my ICCID is 456. Let me call 123–456–7890, please!

Cell tower/mast: IMEI is 123, ICCID is 456; 456 is vikky’s account. I’m from vikky’s company and provide her with service, Vikky has 100 minutes left in account, connecting call.

Vikky:thanks

This is what happens when attempt to call a friend without a SIM card:

Vikky’s phone to nearby cell towers/mast: My IMEI is 123 and I don’t have a SIM card. Let me call 123–456-7890 CONTINUE READING
Re: Ever Wondered How Your Phone Connects To Emergency Services, Even Without No Sim by illicit(m): 11:54am On Dec 31, 2017
Hmmmm you are trying to say something.... Kontinu
Re: Ever Wondered How Your Phone Connects To Emergency Services, Even Without No Sim by Christo49: 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2018
Click on continue reading

(1) (Reply)

Common Most Believed Technology Myths And Misconceptions / How To Pair Roku Remote? / Congo's Living Dinosaur - The Mokele Mbebme - Jurassic Beast Of The River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.